2015 Draft thread. McEichel part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
If you are offered a contract from Buffalo and they turn it down it means they don't want to play here. You can sugar coat it all you want. Gees, Richards agent said don't even bother coming. Of course Buffalo fans will say it is not that he didn't want to come here it is because he wanted to go somewhere else. Think about what you are saying.

Lemieux?! I didn't sugercoat it. He was a lowly 2nd round pick that acted like he had the power of Eli Manning and got traded to...Winnipeg. Good for him, I could care less about him. We have no idea what he was thinking. If it was about city, nightlife he got sent to Winnipeg.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Lemieux?! I didn't sugercoat it. He was a lowly 2nd round pick that acted like he had the power of Eli Manning and got traded to...Winnipeg. Good for him, I could care less about him. We have no idea what he was thinking. If it was about city, nightlife he got sent to Winnipeg.

Shane Doan he was offered 10,000,000 I believe and turned it down.

Last edited:

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Shane Doan

He wanted to stay in Phoenix. That has nothing to to do with a NHL draft pick not wanting to play for a city. You keep making a connection that isn't there.

NHL draft picks generally are happy to play where they are drafted. Please show me the history of Buffalo draft picks not wanting to be here other than one kid Lemieux. Even that all we have is rumor and guessing. So assuming the rumors are true, they don't point to why he didn't want to be here. Was it he hated the city? Maybe didn't like the team's development plans...who knows.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Uh, Buffalo was told to not even bother.

Oh, you meant Brad Richards.

I'm sure 25 other teams would have been told not to bother as well because IIRC Richards was only interested in one of two teams.

So strictly speaking, yeah he didn't want to come to Buffalo. But it wasn't because he didn't want Buffalo, it was because he wanted one of those two other teams only. Does that make sense?

As far as Doan, he wanted to stay in Phoenix for who knows what reason. It wasn't necessarily a slight to Buffalo.

Again, a player not signing here does not mean they did not want to come here. Unless you are being pedantic. Then they also did not want to go to 28 other teams.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

I'm sure 25 other teams would have been told not to bother as well because IIRC Richards was only interested in one of two teams.

So strictly speaking, yeah he didn't want to come to Buffalo. But it wasn't because he didn't want Buffalo, it was because he wanted one of those two other teams only. Does that make sense?

As far as Doan, he wanted to stay in Phoenix for who knows what reason. It wasn't necessarily a slight to Buffalo.

Again, a player not signing here does not mean they did not want to come here. Unless you are being pedantic. Then they also did not want to go to 28 other teams.
And the excuse for Buffalo being listed as one of the places that a player with a no trade clause wont go to?

If I list players you will just excuse them. If a player does not like Buffalo, it has been a criticism in the past such as Emery, Rod Brind Amour, Emerson Etam and it was never about Brendan Lemieux it was about Claude Lemieux who has 20 years experience. You think these players are alone? In fact if I can remember Buffalo is even hated by players.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Free Agency not the same as Draft. Players have a choice.

Buffalo does have a problem attracting top free agents. We do not have a problem signing draft picks.

Until Jack Eichel comes out in public and says, "I won't play in Buffalo..." worrying about him not playing here is just pointless.

ZeroPT*

And the excuse for Buffalo being listed as one of the places that a player with a no trade clause wont go to?

Because they can go to massive markets. Buffalo isn't successful. Once this team starts competing you'll see free agents lining up

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Free Agency not the same as Draft. Players have a choice.

Buffalo does have a problem attracting top free agents. We do not have a problem signing draft picks.

Until Jack Eichel comes out in public and says, "I won't play in Buffalo..." worrying about him not playing here is just pointless.

No doubt. Players haven't wanted to sign here generally because cold as ****, cash strapped team (that has changed), or team was/is bad (that is changing).

The first one won't change and there may remain players here and there that turn down Buffalo just because of cold/city, but I don't think it will be enough to really give a damn.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Great players like McDavid and Eichel carry teams on their shoulders. If Eichel doesn't want to be here we will trade him for a king's ransom.

Free agency is not the same as the draft. Culture is changing, look at Buffalo's NFL team. No one wanted to go there...until Mario and now that we have Rex Ryan we are a destination.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Great players like McDavid and Eichel carry teams on their shoulders. If Eichel doesn't want to be here we will trade him for a king's ransom.

Free agency is not the same as the draft. Culture is changing, look at Buffalo's NFL team. No one wanted to go there...until Mario and now that we have Rex Ryan we are a destination.

This is true. I think Eichel will play in Buffalo. I am not sure where this even came from. I looked for it on other websites and Buffalo was never mentioned.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Buffalo has always been on that list of teams players wont wave to.
While I'm not sure that can be proved or disproved, I am confident it will change soon.

edit: My point is that the common teams on those lists is fluid. Some teams stay there, but for reasons that no longer apply to the Sabres (or won't soon). Free Agents want to go to teams that are winning now.

Bueffel74

Apr 15, 2015
Hi,

I 'm new here and an absolute Sabres Fan ! I come from Germany.
Since 2006, I watch the Sabres games via Game Center Live.

Well, I am of the opinion . whether we pick McD or Eichel , both are top players, and we finally got a 1st line center! So enjoy the coming years, with Evander Kane , McEichel , Reinhart, Girgensons , Ennis and many other good prospects we are truly to be envied !
Sorry for the bad English , I use Google translator :)

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Because they can go to massive markets. Buffalo isn't successful. Once this team starts competing you'll see free agents lining up
No doubt. Players haven't wanted to sign here generally because cold as ****, cash strapped team (that has changed), or team was/is bad (that is changing).

The first one won't change and there may remain players here and there that turn down Buffalo just because of cold/city, but I don't think it will be enough to really give a damn.

Whatever the reasons are, it is true. I had to defend my statement and NHL agents put Buffalo as number 3. I wish Buffalo residents wouldn't take such offense to it because it always turns into a big arguement.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
While I'm not sure that can be proved or disproved, I am confident it will change soon.

edit: My point is that the common teams on those lists is fluid. Some teams stay there, but for reasons that no longer apply to the Sabres (or won't soon). Free Agents want to go to teams that are winning now.

Sure it can, Craig Custance did a survey and say Buffalo is top 3 where players wont wave to go to. It is in NHL players contracts.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Whatever the reasons are, it is true. I had to defend my statement and NHL agents put Buffalo as number 3. I wish Buffalo residents wouldn't take such offense to it because it always turns into a big arguement.

I don't even know what we were arguing over anymore.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
At the time of the survey, yes.

Its been like that until now. I remember watching an Islanders game when Jason Blake played there and the commentators were talking about how rare it is that he was wanting to play in Buffalo and they don't hear that very often.

I am not going to search through the internet but probably at least the last 15-20 years it has been that way.

Anyways....where are people getting Eichel does not want to play in Buffalo?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hi,

I 'm new here and an absolute Sabres Fan ! I come from Germany.
Since 2006, I watch the Sabres games via Game Center Live.

Well, I am of the opinion . whether we pick McD or Eichel , both are top players, and we finally got a 1st line center! So enjoy the coming years, with Evander Kane , McEichel , Reinhart, Girgensons , Ennis and many other good prospects we are truly to be envied !
Sorry for the bad English , I use Google translator :)

English is good and Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad