2015-16 Around the League VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Eh, Duchene's two way game improving and goal scoring from the wing could be nice pluses in his favor even if they are focusing on this season's form.

You have to think that his versatility to play any forward position well helps also.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It clearly is... Nhl are trying to make this into a thing and use it as an excuse to not go to the Olympics. This tournament is farce.

I mean team North America? Really that's something can get attached to. A bunch of random players, with no attachments to one another playing for a made up trophy. Can't wait. Lmao

Aren't all trophies made up? :sarcasm:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Surprised as a Canadian that you would crap on North America, especially considering how much it's always talked about that great players are left out of the Olympics.

I for one will be excited to see some of these young guys get to compete on that stage.

I also don't see it as an out for not attending the Olympics either. I see it as a attempt to create something relevant that we don't have to wait four years for. With this it will be two years between world stage tournaments with most of all of the great players attending.

There is enough of a love for the youth in Hockey that the NA team will draw interest from fans of their favorite young stars IMO.

Canada/NA can produce 2 team that would medal that isn't my issue but who would root for this team? What connection do the have for one another? On top of that, what prestige does tournament hold for the winners? It's a money grabbing, plastic tournament and I think it fails...hard.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Canada/NA can produce 2 team that would medal that isn't my issue but who would root for this team? What connection do the have for one another? On top of that, what prestige does tournament hold for the winners? It's a money grabbing, plastic tournament and I think it fails...hard.

How about every top young players NHL team fans?

What about fans from some of those players home towns?

What about the people who love following young prospects, and the stars of the future?

MacKinnon, McDavid, Larkin, and others will bring a **** ton of interest from their NHL teams fans and people who are really into following young players in general.

The young guys in the NHL are always one of the most exciting aspects of the game, you think because they are not playing for Team Canada or USA that people will stop giving a **** about watching them?

I don't see how this does not translate for some people.

I'm almost more excited about the NA team than any other team at this point, those kids will probably appreciate every minute of it as well. I also love the Euro club as well, that is a hell of a roster IMO.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
International tournaments are supposed to be about representing your country, sure some avid fans will follow the players they like but most could give to ****s about them winning this.

Young prospects/future stars only works when you have a limited view of said players. These guys have been exposed in NHL, when people want to watch them they just tune to their respective NHL teams and watch them play. Adding a tournament/team to watch them after they have arrived at the NHL level is pointless.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
International tournaments are supposed to be about representing your country, sure some avid fans will follow the players they like but most could give to ****s about them winning this.

Young prospects/future stars only works when you have a limited view of said players. These guys have been exposed in NHL, when people want to watch them they just tune to their respective NHL teams and watch them play. Adding a tournament/team to watch them after they have arrived at the NHL level is pointless.

Disagree, I personally have a harder time even rooting for USA against my own favorite NHL players from my favorite NHL team or teams.

I'll root for Canada in one game, and USA, the next, and etc... Because I'm a fan of Hockey in general, and a huge NHL fan.

Personally it will be very easy for me to root for the NA team against USA or Canada. People also love the under dogs as well IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What D2M said, this has to be the worst gimmick I've ever seen a major professional sports organization do.

Complete revenue money grab while trying to create an excuse why not to go to the Olympics. Complete farce and I don't think I will be watching (and it pains me to say it because I am starting to prefer international hockey over domestic).

A "World Cup" doesn't involve just 8 teams.
A "World Cup" doesn't involve joke teams like Team North America U23.
A "World Cup" doesn't involve another joke team for the lower nations like Team World.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Disagree, I personally have a harder time even rooting for USA against my own favorite NHL players from my favorite NHL team or teams.

I'll root for Canada in one game, and USA, the next, and etc... Because I'm a fan of Hockey in general, and a huge NHL fan.

Personally it will be very easy for me to root for the NA team against USA or Canada. People also love the under dogs as well IMO.

The idea for me wasn't to try to stop you from watching it but when it fails you'll know why.

A "World Cup" doesn't involve another joke team for the lower nations like Team World.

Another fake team?

Lol Didn't even know about that...Poor Kopitar.:laugh:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I like the NA logo and jersey. Has that "evil organization" look to it. Thankfully after this World Cup the next one is confirmed to have no more Team World or U23 but actual international teams. Screw it, I'm hockey starved in September so I'll be watching. Not like I can go to Avs training camp or anything anyways. Hell I watched a friendly U20 tournament two years ago between Canada, USA, Russia and the Czech's in July or August because I wanted to watch hockey.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I like the NA logo and jersey. Has that "evil organization" look to it. Thankfully after this World Cup the next one is confirmed to have no more Team World or U23 but actual international teams. Screw it, I'm hockey starved in September so I'll be watching. Not like I can go to Avs training camp or anything anyways. Hell I watched a friendly U20 tournament two years ago between Canada, USA, Russia and the Czech's in July or August because I wanted to watch hockey.

This

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Watching the Leafs play a bunch of plebs including the 4 new debuts plus trade deadline acquisitions and it's infuriating because despite barely being together, they already look far more cohesive and organized than us defensively. They aren't as individually talented because it is so many AHLers so not necessarily as quick to the puck or perfect passing or anything but they do a good job of getting organized in their zone and even the 'man to man' coverage we're supposed to have is better there. We just collapse and hope basically. Oh and they hustle better too despite not having anything to play for.

My point is, fire Roy. I'm enjoying watching the 29th place team in the league play against the 1st place team in the league more than I am our games, this blows.

Last edited:

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wild will get 2 more points tomorrow as they play the Leafs who are playing back to back, talk about must wins, Avs are still breathing but they really must win tomorrow

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I like the idea of the young stars being kind of underdogs and seeing if they can beat the old dudes. Plus if they were on the "older" teams they'd just get shuffled to smaller roles. This way we can see them shine, it will be fun. Isn't it supposed to be fun?

International hockey means nothing to me as an American. There's is no attachment or meaning, it means nothing to this country. Americans kinda get interested in the olympics but really it's just another event to add to the medal count. So I feel no reason to have nationsl pride or whatever plus I'm not really fond of the American players either. I mean if they end up winning I'll feel a bit of pride but that's not the reason why I'd watch or root for any of the teams so why should I have to follow it? Plus rooting for the young stars is half American too, I'd rather have them win.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I think between the three McGinn bros they will own a jersey for every nhl team eventually

Would be cool, still a long way to go. I was bored so I decided to bold the teams already played on by a McGinn.

Anaheim Ducks
Arizona Coyotes
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Montreal Canadiens
Nashville Predators
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Vancouver Canucks
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What D2M said, this has to be the worst gimmick I've ever seen a major professional sports organization do.

Complete revenue money grab while trying to create an excuse why not to go to the Olympics. Complete farce and I don't think I will be watching (and it pains me to say it because I am starting to prefer international hockey over domestic).

They put together 8 teams that will entertain and produce good hockey. An actual World Cup won't produce that (well not every game). I don't like the name of the tournament, but what it does is grab the attention of casual fans. I don't care if it's a complete cash grab if it produces good hockey. The aim of any tournament, of any league is to make money. If it produces good hockey, I'm not going to complain.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Would be cool, still a long way to go. I was bored so I decided to bold the teams already played on by a McGinn.

Anaheim Ducks
Arizona Coyotes
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Montreal Canadiens
Nashville Predators
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Vancouver Canucks
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

And yet Jagr has the same amount. Still find it hard to believe he's been around so long.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013

I could not possibly disagree more. I mean the World Cup will be the most competitive tournament in the history of the sport and can be topped by only a another World Cup in the distant future. The Worlds or even Olympics are not comparable. In the Olympics you have a bunch of flat out terrible teams and because of that you get to see wonderful games like Sweden winning 10-1 against Belarus or some crap like that. I also think that the fact that players will be fresh and not fatigued and bruised from the regular season grind will only make the hockey better.

While I get the arguments you make, I have no reason to justify them. There is no definition what a World Cup should be like. The rules of a tournament can be changed every time, there is no right way. Only thing that should matter is that the on ice product is as good as it can get and the decisions behind this tournament certainly allow this to happen.

I guess some countries like Slovakia could be pissed as they dont have their national team participating but it is a tournament where only the best participate and Slovakia has no chance of winning. Hockey only has a few good countries and therefore in order to create a competitive tournament you have to cut the fat.

I am very excited about the tournament and it certainly has the potential to end up being one of the best tournament ever. If that does not please a hockey fan then I dont know what to say.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

haha. omg thats such a good point. Like i was definitely on the fence, leaning towards "ugh" about this tourney but come Sept. I know I will be absolutely begging for some competitive hockey like some junkie going through withdrawls. The summer is so looong guys. You'll be watching it with me too, haters.

And then the new season is just right around the corner after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad