2015-16 Around the League VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
World Cup teams will announce their first 16 players tomorrow.

Landeskog and MacKinnon should be locks for their teams.

I think Duchene is probably more likely to be one of the remaining players announced in June rather than tomorrow. Same with Soderberg for Sweden.

I don't know what's going on with Varly and the Russian team but if it's all good, he should get a spot.

Rantanen?

So far Varly has been named to Russia and Rantanen is not on Finland. I think they'd give him a test drive at the WC if they are interested.

Tim Murray probably broke his scotch glass in his hand watching that.

Perhaps but it was a reverse point in the standings too :laugh:

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Why are the teams only 16 players with 4 defensemen. Is that all they need to give now and they can give more later?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Never change NHL Network Radio, never change.

Listening in on one of their radio shows recapping teams, two of the hosts starting going through goaltenders. At first they look at Russia. "Semyon Varlamov and Sergei Bobrovsky. Eeek, I don't know." Then, on to the Czechs: "Petr Mrazek? I don't know about that." And then, finally, on to Finland: "Tuukka Rask and PEKKA RINNE, definitely the favourites goaltending-wise" and they made special emphasis on Rinne :laugh:

If Finland is going with Pekka Rinne full-time, they've got big problems. But they're smarter than that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Landeskog named to Sweden's team.

Boedker, who may or may not be an Av at that point, is on Team Europe.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That North American team looks dangerous as hell with guys like MacKinnon, McDavid, and Larkin...

Then you have Jones, Ekblad, etc and some damn good young goalies as well.

That is going to be a really fun team to root for. I'll be hyped as hell for that Tourney, especially considering the fact that it starts in one of the most difficult time of year for Hockey fans. September

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There's a strong sentiment in Russian hockey that this is an NHL tournament, and there's a bloc that doesn't want to send the best russian KHLers to help an NHL tournament succeed.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It clearly is... Nhl are trying to make this into a thing and use it as an excuse to not go to the Olympics. This tournament is farce.

I mean team North America? Really that's something can get attached to. A bunch of random players, with no attachments to one another playing for a made up trophy. Can't wait. Lmao

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
There's a strong sentiment in Russian hockey that this is an NHL tournament, and there's a bloc that doesn't want to send the best russian KHLers to help an NHL tournament succeed.

Who is in charge for Russia? Don't they want to win? Why not boycott altogether?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It clearly is... Nhl are trying to make this into a thing and use it as an excuse to not go to the Olympics. This tournament is farce.

I mean team North America? Really that's something can get attached to. A bunch of random players, with no attachments to one another playing for a made up trophy. Can't wait. Lmao

Surprised as a Canadian that you would crap on North America, especially considering how much it's always talked about that great players are left out of the Olympics.

I for one will be excited to see some of these young guys get to compete on that stage.

I also don't see it as an out for not attending the Olympics either. I see it as a attempt to create something relevant that we don't have to wait four years for. With this it will be two years between world stage tournaments with most of all of the great players attending.

There is enough of a love for the youth in Hockey that the NA team will draw interest from fans of their favorite young stars IMO.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
No matter your feelings on the world cup... you gotta admit those sweaters are slick. Big fan of the Europe and Russia ones.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No Duchene for now, which isn't unexpected. There's probably four forward spots left and they'll have to choose between guys like Duchene, Perry, Giroux, Hall, O'Reilly, Marchand, etc.

I like seeing Vlasic being named already in the top four. Seems like he's still underrated when you hear fans talk about him. Obviously that's not the case though among NHL people.

I'm not a huge fan of the mixed teams and format either but MacKinnon, McDavid, Larkin, and Eichel on one team. Damn, that's going to be fun to watch.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Have to think Perry and Giroux are a lock

gonna be between Duchene, ROR and Hall. If it's based on this years play ROR and Hall probably are gonna make it over Duchene but he's been to the olympics and stuff so they may choose him just because of that. hope he makes it though

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Have to think Perry and Giroux are a lock

gonna be between Duchene, ROR and Hall. If it's based on this years play ROR and Hall probably are gonna make it over Duchene but he's been to the olympics and stuff so they may choose him just because of that. hope he makes it though

Eh, Duchene's two way game improving and goal scoring from the wing could be nice pluses in his favor even if they are focusing on this season's form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad