WC: 2015 — Divisions I-II-III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jastrzab

Apr 3, 2015
Kolesnik is confirmed not coming, Antropov is questionable, doesn't seem to excited to come, plus he also has a 2 match suspension from last year, so he'll only be there for 3 of the games *should he be called up.

Edit: Antropov is confirmed not coming, maybe retiring.

Thanks for some information.

IIHF should use se money to organize streamin / TV signal for these games. I would like to see some.

The games will be broadcasts in Polish TV on TVP Sport, so some the games should be streaming on their website - http://sport.tvp.pl/

World Championship Division I Group A broadcasts schedule on TVP Sport:

date / game / start and end broadcasts / start game

uid_b50babd9601a459a11b4e10090da29251424435254837_width_800_play_0_pos_0_gs_0.jpg

Last edited:

kulenova seka

Final roster for Croatia

GK:
Mark Dekanich - Medvescak
Mate Tomljenović - Medvescak
Andrej Vasiljević - no club

DF:
Kenny MacAulay - Innsbruck (EBEL)
Geoff Waugh - VSV (EBEL)
Alan Letang - Medvescak
Andy Sertich - Dornbirn (EBEL)
Saša Martinović - Medvescak
Marko Ljubić - Mladost
Igor Jačmenjak - Zagreb
Borna Šilović - Medvescak

FW:
Mike Glumac - Medvescak
Andrew Murray - Medvescak
Dario Kostović - Medvescak
Nathan Perkovich - Medvescak
Ryan Kinasewich - Dornbirn (EBEL)
Ivan Janković - Zagreb
Dominik Kanaet - Detva (SVK-1)
Mislav Blagus - Zagreb
Luka Vukoja - Medvescak
Tadija Mirić - Mladost
Ivan Brenčun - Medvescak
Matija Miličić - Zagreb

Notable absents :
Rendulic Borna (Colorado Avalanche/Lake Erie), Prpic Joel (Brandford), Naglich Adam (Vienna Capitals), Novak Michael (VEU Feldkirch)

Slohockey

Feb 13, 2014
Final roster for Croatia

GK:
Mark Dekanich - Medvescak
Mate Tomljenović - Medvescak
Andrej Vasiljević - no club

DF:
Kenny MacAulay - Innsbruck (EBEL)
Geoff Waugh - VSV (EBEL)
Alan Letang - Medvescak
Andy Sertich - Dornbirn (EBEL)
SaÅ¡a Martinović - Medvescak
Marko Ljubić - Mladost
Igor Jačmenjak - Zagreb
Borna Å ilović - Medvescak

FW:
Mike Glumac - Medvescak
Andrew Murray - Medvescak
Dario Kostović - Medvescak
Nathan Perkovich - Medvescak
Ryan Kinasewich - Dornbirn (EBEL)
Ivan Janković - Zagreb
Dominik Kanaet - Detva (SVK-1)
Mislav Blagus - Zagreb
Luka Vukoja - Medvescak
Tadija Mirić - Mladost
Ivan Brenčun - Medvescak
Matija Miličić - Zagreb

Notable absents :
Rendulic Borna (Colorado Avalanche/Lake Erie), Prpic Joel (Brandford), Naglich Adam (Vienna Capitals), Novak Michael (VEU Feldkirch)
Also Michael Ouzas (Linz).

I find it interesting that Letang is still on roster. He hasn`t played a single game this season, so I guess he already ended his club career in 2014, but still on national team roster.

We can expect some other players to play for Croatia in the next years (Bill Thomas, maybe Tom Zanoski, possibly Mark Katic and Mark Popovic, perhaps some others too).

Guys, what are your thoughts on this whole thing to "take" players from NA? In my opinion it can easily bring results in short-term, but long- term...I am not so sure, we will see. I am not really a fan of naturalizations, but I hope the best for Croatia, though. :nod:

kulenova seka

I find it interesting that Letang is still on roster. He hasn`t played a single game this season, so I guess he already ended his club career in 2014, but still on national team roster.

We can expect some other players to play for Croatia in the next years (Bill Thomas, maybe Tom Zanoski, possibly Mark Katic and Mark Popovic, perhaps some others too).

Guys, what are your thoughts on this whole thing to "take" players from NA? In my opinion it can easily bring results in short-term, but long- term...I am not so sure, we will see. I am not really a fan of naturalizations, but I hope the best for Croatia, though. :nod:

Yeah, I forgot Ouzas....

Zanoski can't play. He is missing only 14 days in Medvescak in order to play :(

I am not sold on Thomas, maybe if he stays in Medvescak. Katic and Popovic needs two more years with Bears.

Regarding naturalization, I cant give specific yes or no answer...because there are some pro and cons...I am always for players with croatian origins, for "real" foregniers...well...one or two maybe yes, not more.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

I am not in favour of naturalising so many players. The results are quite clear what it does to the development of domestic players: it limits it considerably. One only has to look at the British team, which for years was largely comprised of Canadians, and saw British hockey decline to nearly nothing.

While it isn't easy to only use domestic players, and the results are usually not good at first, it is better in the long run. France started to about a decade ago, and while they still have a few Canadians, they primarily use "real" French, and its improved the quality of the team. Italy is also starting to finally slow down their reliance on North Americans, and while it will probably mean they won't stay an elevator team in the near future, it will help the future of Italian hockey.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I am not in favour of naturalising so many players. The results are quite clear what it does to the development of domestic players: it limits it considerably. One only has to look at the British team, which for years was largely comprised of Canadians, and saw British hockey decline to nearly nothing.

While it isn't easy to only use domestic players, and the results are usually not good at first, it is better in the long run. France started to about a decade ago, and while they still have a few Canadians, they primarily use "real" French, and its improved the quality of the team. Italy is also starting to finally slow down their reliance on North Americans, and while it will probably mean they won't stay an elevator team in the near future, it will help the future of Italian hockey.

While in general you are right but there are other factors involved here aswell. Counting that Croatia has only 5 ice rinks, of which 2 are open air 1 semi open air its hard to create players. Till now those with talent were basically sent to other countries for development.
To change this and to make hockey a more "house hold" sport, and croatians are snobs when it comes to success, they decided to make the Cro NT successful. By doing that they intend to make fans and pressure to create infrastructure, or improve the current. Without popularity croatians wount build ****. This along with the creation of a younger player development plan through club Medvescak (ebel u16, u18, u20 and possible creation of u24) so there might be some atleast semi decent replacements for or additions to the foreigners as they grow up.
There were some hints of the plan working with a planned new ice rink arena (and lots of new temporary ice rinks during winter), but the recession put this on hold.
Although i would argue there is a number up to which foreign players can make the team better and help develop and elevate the home grown players, and when they stifle them.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
While in general you are right but there are other factors involved here aswell. Counting that Croatia has only 5 ice rinks, of which 2 are open air 1 semi open air its hard to create players. Till now those with talent were basically sent to other countries for development.
To change this and to make hockey a more "house hold" sport, and croatians are snobs when it comes to success, they decided to make the Cro NT successful. By doing that they intend to make fans and pressure to create infrastructure, or improve the current. Without popularity croatians wount build ****. This along with the creation of a younger player development plan through club Medvescak (ebel u16, u18, u20 and possible creation of u24) so there might be some atleast semi decent replacements for or additions to the foreigners as they grow up.
There were some hints of the plan working with a planned new ice rink arena (and lots of new temporary ice rinks during winter), but the recession put this on hold.
Although i would argue there is a number up to which foreign players can make the team better and help develop and elevate the home grown players, and when they stifle them.

That's a fair point. My biggest issue is that it ultimately messes up the development of the domestic players, as they are pushed to the third and fourth lines, if at all, while naturalised players take up the key positions. Though if Croatia is properly developing a youth system, that will really help, however I'm not sure what effect the rumours of Medvescak leaving the KHL will do for Croatian hockey, if anything. But the most important thing, like you mentioned, is getting the infrastructure built and a youth system in place, then the senior team can be developed properly.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Plus having Croatias top domestic players on the 3 Rd and 4th lines would get a hell of a lot more experience and upper level competition in doc 1a than div 1b and playing on the top lines in div 1b

kulenova seka

what effect the rumours of Medvescak leaving the KHL will do for Croatian hockey, if anything.

Actually it would have better impact if we talk about croatian players. With return to EBEL league and with fact that Medvescak U20 team (selection of best players from three clubs) is playing really good in junior EBEL, it is no brainer that the best ones from U20 team would get a shot with main team.

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
That's a fair point. My biggest issue is that it ultimately messes up the development of the domestic players, as they are pushed to the third and fourth lines, if at all, while naturalised players take up the key positions. Though if Croatia is properly developing a youth system, that will really help, however I'm not sure what effect the rumours of Medvescak leaving the KHL will do for Croatian hockey, if anything. But the most important thing, like you mentioned, is getting the infrastructure built and a youth system in place, then the senior team can be developed properly.

Croatia isn't developing enough players to field a competitive team atm, so the use of Canadians is very helpful in keeping Croatia playing at a high level. The problem is letting go of naturalized players once enough homegrown players are produced. Once the youth system is in place, Croatia needs to stop taking in naturalized players, (which can sometimes be hard to do), but until then, I think it does more good than harm to keep them around.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Croatia isn't developing enough players to field a competitive team atm, so the use of Canadians is very helpful in keeping Croatia playing at a high level. The problem is letting go of naturalized players once enough homegrown players are produced. Once the youth system is in place, Croatia needs to stop taking in naturalized players, (which can sometimes be hard to do), but until then, I think it does more good than harm to keep them around.

See that there is the issue with using Canadians to bolster the team. The World Championships are effectively supposed to show the true strength of the national team, and its development capabilities. But by bringing in ringers, it makes the whole thing a bit of a sham. There isn't really anything wrong with Croatia having a weak team, and the true state of Croatian hockey should be represented by the players at the World Championship, not some others who are there for a temporary solution until the development catches up to that level, if it even does.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
If Slovenia can develop a hockey program, they can too. They just don't want to wait so they take the lame road.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
If Slovenia can develop a hockey program, they can too. They just don't want to wait so they take the lame road.

Slovenia has a fairly developed history with hockey though, and Jesenice was huge for that until it folded a coupe years back. Croatia doesn't, and while that does make it a challenge, there is no reason they can't have their own program. Just they indeed did not want to wait for it to happen, which considering that it takes lots of money to properly do this (which the Croatian hockey federation lacks), it is difficult. However they are placing their hopes on having a successful program provide them with access to more money, which may or may not work.

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
See that there is the issue with using Canadians to bolster the team. The World Championships are effectively supposed to show the true strength of the national team, and its development capabilities. But by bringing in ringers, it makes the whole thing a bit of a sham. There isn't really anything wrong with Croatia having a weak team, and the true state of Croatian hockey should be represented by the players at the World Championship, not some others who are there for a temporary solution until the development catches up to that level, if it even does.

If the goal of the Croatian Hockey Federation was to gauge the strength of home-grown players, then yes I agree, but that's not the goal. I think they want Croatia to play at a fairly high level to generate interest, I think somebody else mentioned that having some success would boost both funding and interest, so why not have some Canadians play for a bit. I agree, it can be a bit of a slippery slope as you'll have to give up those imports at some point and give your own players a chance even if they are a bit worse, but atm the level/number of Croatian homegrown players is just too low.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Good to see some improvement at the Division III level. North Korea needed overtime to defeat Turkey, and Luxembourg nearly upset the Turks on Friday as well, giving up a 2 goal lead in the third. Georgia got their first wins ever, and while they were against newcomer Bosnia and a severely depleted UAE (who only had 15 players for some reason), they did manage to cut their goal differential in half compared to last year (20 goals fewer against in total, even with another game played), they just don't seem to be able to get off any shots on goal against the upper-tier teams.

Now hopefully all these teams return for next year, which is always a question at this level. And while unlikely, it would be nice if a couple more joined so that a second level could be added to make the games more competitive (thus having Turkey, Luxembourg, and whoever is relegated in one level, and the rest in the second one). But that is really dependent on the IIHF allowing Ireland and Greece back in, which is doubtful, or some other teams entering, of which there are no clear options.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
North Korea upsets Turkey and is promoted to 2B.

Yes. They have previously only taken part in the Division III Qualification in 2008.
Having participated in 2008, this is really their second tournament, not their international debut. B&H lost to Greece (10-1) and to Armenia (18-1) on their international debut, although the score against Armenia was cancelled and the Bosnians were awarded a 5-0 default win.

It's nice to see them back on the international stage but there is a lot of work to be done. A number of teams from the domestic league have folded and there are only a handful of teams left. Like in most cases in the Balkans, the solution lies in regional leagues which already exist in several sports (including hockey, but none of them include B&H).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad