WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
People talk about Fabbri like he is some sort of god, yet got outplayed by half the forwards who already are locks on the team at this mini two game set.

I rarely notice people talking about Fabbri at all. Posters often include him in their lineups, sometimes with McDavid because of their previous performance together, sometimes on a lower line, sometimes as the extra forward. Other than that, I don't see much discussion of him at all, especially not anything indicating god status.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I don't know if Bigras deserved to get cut, but deserved or not, I'm encouraged that Hockey Canada would cut a returning player.
A little less of a cookie cutter approach by HC in putting teams together is welcomed in my estimation. Thumps up for that.

See folks, I don't always have to lay the boots to the idiots at HC.
I feel like the remaining guys are all better or stood out more than him. He was just average in the first game and he had about 2-3 turnovers today. He's a great skater, but from what I've seen, he's not the smartest player. Happy he's cut, now just for Ritchie to be cut and I'll be 100% happy with the roster.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I feel like the remaining guys are all better or stood out more than him. He was just average in the first game and he had about 2-3 turnovers today. He's a great skater, but from what I've seen, he's not the smartest player. Happy he's cut, now just for Ritchie to be cut and I'll be 100% happy with the roster.

I haven't really been paying attention to the CIS games, but what I saw of Ritchie at the summer tournament, and based on overall play in the OHL, he's strictly cut out for league play (NHL) and not a National Team short tournament caliber type of player. just too undisciplined for my liking.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I haven't really been paying attention to the CIS games, but what I saw of Ritchie at the summer tournament, and based on overall play in the OHL, he's strictly cut out for league play (NHL) and not a National Team short tournament caliber type of player. just too undisciplined for my liking.
Exactly. I'd rather have a faster player take his place too. And the guys fighting for those last spots (Dickinson, Chartier and Paul) have better wheels.

DanrikCarter

Jan 28, 2009
My Canadian National Junior Team Updated Prediction:

Max Domi-Sam Reinhart (C)-Jake Virtanen
Robby Fabbri-Connor McDavid (A)-Anthony Duclair
Michael Dal Colle-Nic Petan (A*)-Brayden Point
Lawson Crouse-Frederik Gauthier-Rourke Chartier/Jason Dickinson
Chartier/Dickinson

Josh Morrissey (A)- Madison Bowey
Darnell Nurse- Shea Theodore
Samuel Morin- Joe Hicketts
Haydn Fleury

Eric Comrie ;)
Zachary Fucale

*Petan's "A" could be easily switched to Duclair or Nurse.

However, I could see HC cutting Dickinson (which would be really disappointing. hes such a great two way fwd) and Chartier, therefore keeping Paul or Ritchie.

I like the duo of Dickinson and Chartier more than Paul or Ritchie. (I have a feeling it will be a package deal due to the configuration of the lines).

Dickinson > Paul. Chartier > Ritchie. IMO.

It's very exciting though. We have such a good team this year! (Although we said the same thing in the lockout year with Scheif, Hubby, and Nuge but I digress)

Go Canada Go!

Yeah I'd probably go like this but I'd move the bottom 6 players around a little bit. That 3rd line is tiny. Maybe switch Point and Crouse but that is kind of unfair to Point as he should have an offensive centre probably. It would be perfect if the Canucks lent us Horvat...

Fabbri - McDavid - Virtanen
Domi - Reinhart - Duclair
Dal Colle - Horvat - Point
Crouse - Petan - Chartier
Dickinson

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if Bigras deserved to get cut, but deserved or not, I'm encouraged that Hockey Canada would cut a returning player.
A little less of a cookie cutter approach by HC in putting teams together is welcomed in my estimation. Thumps up for that.

See folks, I don't always have to lay the boots to the idiots at HC.

Quoted for posterity.

Anyway, the way this team is projecting looks pretty good. Three scoring lines, with a dangerous fourth line that is a bit more competent defensively. It reminds me of the 2009 team to a degree. I despise the way they are handling goaltending though. There should be competition for goaltenders in the camp. I think they clearly buy into the idea that the goaltenders are psyching themselves out before/during the tournament, as opposed to the unfortunate reality that Canada's goaltenders just aren't all that good lately.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Quoted for posterity.

Anyway, the way this team is projecting looks pretty good. Three scoring lines, with a dangerous fourth line that is a bit more competent defensively. It reminds me of the 2009 team to a degree. I despise the way they are handling goaltending though. There should be competition for goaltenders in the camp. I think they clearly buy into the idea that the goaltenders are psyching themselves out before/during the tournament, as opposed to the unfortunate reality that Canada's goaltenders just aren't all that good lately.

I agree with that. And if this tournament goes bad and goaltending is again a factor, then it is further damming evidence of the cluelessness of those working at HC and the POE. And should it happen, then people have to start losing their jobs... there is no other way around it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I agree with that. And if this tournament goes bad and goaltending is again a factor, then it is further damming evidence of the cluelessness of those working at HC and the POE. And should it happen, then people have to start losing their jobs... there is no other way around it.

I wouldn't base people's jobs on the results of any one tournament. If they win this tournament, it doesn't mean that idiotic HC staff are not idiotic anymore. The reverse is true as well. As long as they overhaul goaltending and take a look at what other countries are doing with regard to developing defencemen, I'm happy.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I wouldn't base people's jobs on the results of any one tournament. If they win this tournament, it doesn't mean that idiotic HC staff are not idiotic anymore. The reverse is true as well. As long as they overhaul goaltending and take a look at what other countries are doing with regard to developing defencemen, I'm happy.

Not one 1 tournament, Jack. but based on what the results have been since 2010 on all junior levels U17 U18 U20, but specifically U20. Enough with the excuses from HC. Regardless of the results of this year's tournament, there is one at HC who should have lost his job when they fired Pendergast...but he is still there. but if they fail to at least make it as far as the GMG, then for sure that + the past 5 years should be enough to get him fired...and as far as I'm concerned, I've seen all I want to see from Jankowski. he can move on as well and go flip burgers in Sudbury.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not one 1 tournament, Jack. but based on what the results have been since 2010 on all junior levels U17 U18 U20, but specifically U20. Enough with the excuses from HC. Regardless of the results of this year's tournament, there is one at HC who should have lost his job when they fired Pendergast...but he is still there. but if they fail to at least make it as far as the GMG, then for sure that + the past 5 years should be enough to get him fired...and as far as I'm concerned, I've seen all I want to see from Jankowski. he can move on as well and go flip burgers in Sudbury.

I would also like to see Jankowski removed, but the result of this tournament won't change my opinion on him. Results shouldn't obscure the quality of the work people do for Hockey Canada. At least this year's edition looks mostly strong, with the quality of forwards eligible for this tournament from Canada looking particularly nice.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think this year's tournament is going to be a make or break tourney for Team Canada. I think if we don't at least get a silver here there will be some organizational changes coming.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

Who's decision was it to only bring 2 goaltenders to camp? Groulx's? Honest question.....and if goaltending does turn out to be an issue, as it has certainly been the past couple of years, shouldn't Groulx be the one to wear that? In addition to the goaltenders themselves, of course?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Who's decision was it to only bring 2 goaltenders to camp? Groulx's? Honest question.....and if goaltending does turn out to be an issue, as it has certainly been the past couple of years, shouldn't Groulx be the one to wear that? In addition to the goaltenders themselves, of course?

I can't believe that it was Groulx's decision and his alone. How many goaltenders did HC bring to camp last year? 2. This was a HC management decision and they all have to wear the blame if it goes to ****.

and why only 2? you are permitted to carry 3 goaltenders on your roster.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Who the hell is cramming him down anybodys throats, 90% of the posters who are NON canucks fans have him on the top 2 lines, that includes fans of the team YOU follow.

People talk about Fabbri like he is some sort of god, yet got outplayed by half the forwards who already are locks on the team at this mini two game set.

Interesting take on Fabbri who scored two goals in one of those games while earning praise from one poster as Canadas best player in that game. Have a tough time believing he was "outplayed by half the forwards who are a lock in this two game set..". Care to explain how Fabbri got outplayed?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My only issue with the goaltending is gifting Fucle a spot when he's been poor this year.

Comrie has arguably been the best goalie in the WHL the last two years and is very do serving of his spot. I frankly would have brought in Jarry to compete with Fucle.

Otherwise I really line the balance of this roster. There should be plenty of size, speed, skill and two-way ability upfront.

The defense also has an awful lot of mobility, puck movement, and grit.

Obviously they will have to gel, but it should be a good team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fucale hasn't been poor. Don't stat watch. The Moose have one of the worst defenses in the QMJHL. You'd be sick watching the amount of odd-man rushes they give up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fucale hasn't been poor. Don't stat watch. The Moose have one of the worst defenses in the QMJHL. You'd be sick watching the amount of odd-man rushes they give up.

No offense but that argument doesn't hold any water for me. Plenty of other goalies are able to put up good numbers playing behind terrible defenses. Fucle has never posted good numbers anyways, even when he had dominante teams in front of him.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I can't believe that it was Groulx's decision and his alone. How many goaltenders did HC bring to camp last year? 2. This was a HC management decision and they all have to wear the blame if it goes to ****.

and why only 2? you are permitted to carry 3 goaltenders on your roster.

Well yes, if the goaltending again turns out to be an issue, then I agree the axe should fall on the appropriate decision-makers. Coaches are usually one-and-done anyway. Competition for jobs is always a good thing, and what makes the Fucale/Comrie situation even a bit more interesting this year is the willingness to cut Bigras, a returnee. As far as I can tell, Bigras is the first Canadian skater to ever have been cut after having made the team a year earlier. So someone is willing to think a bit outside the box. It would be interesting to peel back the layers of authority on this team, from the coaching staff on up, in order to figure out who's calling which shots, and evaluate them accordingly.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Well yes, if the goaltending again turns out to be an issue, then I agree the axe should fall on the appropriate decision-makers. Coaches are usually one-and-done anyway. Competition for jobs is always a good thing, and what makes the Fucale/Comrie situation even a bit more interesting this year is the willingness to cut Bigras, a returnee. As far as I can tell, Bigras is the first Canadian skater to ever have been cut after having made the team a year earlier. So someone is willing to think a bit outside the box. It would be interesting to peel back the layers of authority on this team, from the coaching staff on up, in order to figure out who's calling which shots, and evaluate them accordingly.

please welcome Saros, Husso, Kahkonen trio :) there's an issue to beat indeed!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Let's hope Tom Renney has done his evaluation of what has gone on the past 5 years (the past 3 specifically) and in the loop of who is making this year's decisions and not out just giving interviews and selling 100 year anniversary coffee table books. Because the time has come to stop *********** around.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
No offense but that argument doesn't hold any water for me. Plenty of other goalies are able to put up good numbers playing behind terrible defenses. Fucle has never posted good numbers anyways, even when he had dominante teams in front of him.

No offense but you can't judge a goalie without watching him and the quoted user is absolutely correct here. "Fucle" doesn't stand a chance a lot of nights in Halifax. He is absolutely sound and has a ton of skill, and plays well behind a good team.

He has a ton of haters and skeptics but he did good in the last tournament and he will do good as the starter in this one.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

You will not convince the Fucale/Moosehead fans that he has any faults.

No offense but you can't judge a goalie without watching him and the quoted user is absolutely correct here. "Fucle" doesn't stand a chance a lot of nights in Halifax. He is absolutely sound and has a ton of skill, and plays well behind a good team.

He has a ton of haters and skeptics but he did good in the last tournament and he will do good as the starter in this one.

And sometimes being a big fan of a player can lead you to think you are being objective when watching him when you really aren't.

Let's hope Tom Renney has done his evaluation of what has gone on the past 5 years (the past 3 specifically) and in the loop of who is making this year's decisions and not out just giving interviews and selling 100 year anniversary coffee table books. Because the time has come to stop *********** around.

Don't get your hopes up. Renney is qualified to be Hockey Canada's goodwill ambassador, not president and ceo.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You will not convince the Fucale/Moosehead fans that he has any faults.

And sometimes being a big fan of a player can lead you to think you are being objective when watching him when you really aren't.

Don't get your hopes up. Renney is qualified to be Hockey Canada's goodwill ambassador, not president and ceo.

You are probably right, but I give everybody the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Homerism aside, I hope Ritchie makes the team (even as the extra forward). If Ritchie is cut, maybe it will be the humbling experience that finally gets him to play smarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium