WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Tough cutting Bigras as he's had a strong year and did look good in these two games, but in fairness, all players looked good against the CIS team. It's a new coaching staff and some new management as well, so he was no lock. It's tough but somebody has to get cut. I'm praying to the heavens that Ritchie is one of the next forwards cut, he's pretty bad IMO. Has soft hands and a decent shot, but lacks foot speed and the brains.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ritchie seems like an easy cut for me. If I'm Groulx I do not want his undisciplined play on my team.

Last one comes down to Dickinson/Chartier. I think both Crouse and Point have earned spots in the bottom six.

Defense is much tougher battle. Coming in I thought it'd be easy to cut Hicketts but he seems pretty adept at playing the right side and is a very smart player. Difficult decisions, exhibition game will help.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Playing amazingly well in the OHL. A stand out in both Subway Series games. Did well against the CIS All-Stars. Looks like the best reason to cut him was because HFboards wanted him cut due to last year when he played with cyst on his ankle.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Hicketts needs to stay...my Victoria Royals have been absolute garbage since he left. Night and day difference...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Playing amazingly well in the OHL. A stand out in both Subway Series games. Did well against the CIS All-Stars. Looks like the best reason to cut him was because HFboards wanted him cut due to last year when he played with cyst on his ankle.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Really? Get that upset someone doesn't make it? This was great

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Knowing what we know now, this is the team I'd go with if I were Groulx:

Fabbri - McDavid - Virtanen
Domi - Reinhart - Duclair
Dal Colle - Petan - Crouse
Paul - Gauthier - Point
Dickinson

Morrissey - Bowey
Nurse - Theodore
Morin - Hicketts
Heatherington

I'd cut Ritchie and Chartier up front, and Fleury on defense. Ritchie lacks the discipline needed in a tournament like this, and Chartier gets caught up in a numbers game at center. I've been pleased with what I've heard about Gauthier so far, let's hope he keeps it up.

This is exactly my team as well after seeing the cuts.

Aceonfire*

So what are you saying? That HF somehow influenced the decision? Other D outperformed him. He had his chance last year and didn't perform.

This team shouldn't be average if they want to win gold. For the first time in a while it looks like they are sending a team that has a good chance at winning.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So what are you saying? That HF somehow influenced the decision? Other D outperformed him. He had his chance last year and didn't perform.

This team shouldn't be average if they want to win gold. For the first time in a while it looks like they are sending a team that has a good chance at winning.

I'm saying it appears that the view on Bigras has been tainted by his play last year with an injury and then when the Denver Post made up lies about Bigras. Lies that Bobby Mac have even run with.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I'm saying it appears that the view on Bigras has been tainted by his play last year with an injury and then when the Denver Post made up lies about Bigras. Lies that Bobby Mac have even run with.

Yes Bigras is having a solid year in the OHL, and yes he had a good first game yesterday but today had some bad turnovers and doesn't process the game very quickly. I personally probably would have kept him around a little longer but each of these defenseman are very good and are all having solid years. Someone had to be cut, unfortunately Bigras was one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Sanheim getting cut was actually surprising for me.
I don't watch Sanheim in juniors a whole lot this year but the majority of the fantasy rosters made by the boards had him on the roster. Flyers fans also talked about how great he was. Not saying he's not great but this was surprising.

I like Chartier, I think he deserves a shot as the 13th guy. Gauthier's skating worries me...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't agree with the Klimchuk and Baptiste cuts, one of the few wingers with speed we have. Should have been Dickonson imo as he doesn't bring much in a bottom 6 role. It's obvious one of Paul and Ritchie is getting cut I wasn't for Crouse to make the team before the games but if he shows well why not. I just think it's incredibly stupid to make cuts after two games against weak competition. Some players play up to higher levels of competition and I feel the old model of inviting players that can fill two teams and having them play against each other is the best way to gauge the players. 3 or so games would give you a good indication of who can play at this level and their various strengths than make the rest of the cuts after pre-tournament games.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
The only surprising cut for me was Bigras, just because he was a returnee. I think Fleury stuck around just in case Hicketts is hurt. If Hicketts is fine, I think Fleury is final cut on defence.

Up front, there are still 3 cuts to go. I see a group of 6 on the bubble, that being, in order from most likely cut to least: Paul, Ritchie, Dickinson, Chartier, Crouse and Gauthier. I would have left Gauthier out, but with Bigras getting cut, Hockey Canada clearly isn't putting much stock in past experience, nor should they considering that team finished fourth. If Chartier and/or Dickinson clearly outplays Gauthier in the next pre-tournament game and during practices throughout the week, then I think one or both of them could stick around. Ritchie didn't do himself any favours with dumb penalties and Paul has been the least noticeable from that group so far. Those 2, Ritchie and Paul, will need a BIG week to stick around. Crouse is the other interesting guy, being an under-ager, but it sounds like they really covet his size and "heavy" game, so he might get the nod over a somewhat similar player in Ritchie.

It'll be another interesting week, but that's how I see things shaking down. This would be my updated depth chart:

Forwards

Domi-Reinhart-Duclair
Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen
Point-Petan-Crouse
Dal Colle-Gauthier-Dickinson/Chartier
Dickinson/Chartier

Defence

Morrissey-Bowey
Nurse-Theodore
Heatherington/Morin-Hicketts
Heatherington/Morin

Goalies

Fucale
Comrie

Petan is fully capable of playing centre, I believe it's his preferred position. Chartier is also very versatile with past experience on the wing. I would probably give him the edge over Dickinson, but I'm a bit biased being Kelowna-based and seeing more of him throughout the season.

Your thoughts...again?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Sanheim getting cut was actually surprising for me.
I don't watch Sanheim in juniors a whole lot this year but the majority of the fantasy rosters made by the boards had him on the roster. Flyers fans also talked about how great he was. Not saying he's not great but this was surprising.

I like Chartier, I think he deserves a shot as the 13th guy. Gauthier's skating worries me...

Most Flyers fans who talk about Sanheim only look at his stats. Now, theres nothing wrong with that, if i lived in Philly i wouldnt regularly watch WHL games theres no time for that. Hes good, hes just inconsistent.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Most Flyers fans who talk about Sanheim only look at his stats. Now, theres nothing wrong with that, if i lived in Philly i wouldnt regularly watch WHL games theres no time for that. Hes good, hes just inconsistent.

I'm a Flyers fan and have seen at least half of his games this year and 20 last year. The reason he is not on this roster has nothing to do with consistency. You are dead wrong. He is plenty consistent. It is a combination of him not being able to play the right side, them having older offensive defenseman, and him not having a clear role on this team as a PP'er or PK'er. The lack of defenseman who play the right side and the plethora of guys who play left, like Sanheim, is really the main determinant. If you were strictly picking the seven best defenseman he would have made it easily.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I'm a Flyers fan and have seen at least half of his games this year and 20 last year. The reason he is not on this roster has nothing to do with consistency. You are dead wrong. He is plenty consistent. It is a combination of him not being able to play the right side, them having older offensive defenseman, and him not having a clear role on this team as a PP'er or PK'er. The lack of defenseman who play the right side and the plethora of guys who play left, like Sanheim, is really the main determinant. If you were strictly picking the seven best defenseman he would have made it easily.

I didnt say every Flyers fan, im saying most, and what you just said is an opinion not fact. If he was that good he would at least have made it through the FIRST round of cuts and at least play a couple exhibition games. If what you said was true , then why was he invited in the first place?

Last edited:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think its almost a certainty that Ritchie will get suspended atleast once, or get a 5 minute major penalty once in the tournament if he makes the team.

The more important question is when and if Canada can get through it without any lingering damages

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I didnt say every Flyers fan, im saying most, and what you just said is an opinion not fact. If he was that good he would at least have made it through the FIRST round of cuts and at least play a couple exhibition games. If what you said was true , then why was he invited in the first place?

Also what you said is opinion, not fact. I already told you why he didn't make it through first round of cuts. They tried him the entire camp at right defense. From what I saw in todays game, he did not look comfortable. He has very little experience playing the right side. If he was able to make the adjustment smoothly, he would still be around. They are obviously reaching for guys to play that side. Almost every defenseman in camp plays the left side naturally.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I think its almost a certainty that Ritchie will get suspended atleast once, or get a 5 minute major penalty once in the tournament if he makes the team.

The more important question is when and if Canada can get through it without any lingering damages

Discipline and composure was a big problem last year. Drouin taking a 10 minute misconduct was not needed. Hopefully this year's team has it.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

Its always the important games is when emotions run high. Are we getting hyped up and taking 10 min majors against secondary competition? Its similar every year. Like Jenner that one year against the Russians. Or drouin last year. Its not just the loose cannons its all of them that need to have a talk about intensity and emotion

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Talk about making assumptions. I've watched more Calgary Hitmen games than Flyers games this year. He's a very consistent player.

Coming in to camp, he had to play his way on to the team and by many accounts he didn't. He wasn't going to play top 4 minutes and their are other guys better suited to be role players. I thought he would have gotten a look as the 7th D considering his versatility, but HC was looking for a safer player it seems-Heatherington, Fleury, Morin.

Wow.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I'd say with the cuts that my team would look like this:

Robby Fabbri- Connor McDavid- Jake Virtanen
Max Domi- Sam Reinhart- Anthony Duclair
Michael Dal Colle- Nicolas Petan- Brayden Point
Lawson Crouse- Frederik Gauthier- Nick Paul
Rourke Chartier

Josh Morrissey- Madison Bowey
Darnell Nurse- Shea Theodore
Samuel Morin- Joe Hicketts