WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I've only been watching for about 10 minutes but man is Canada ever rag dolling them. They are just a way better and faster team. Also, Canada's D hasn't given the All-Stars any chances from what I've seen.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
"Canada may eclipse the 60 shot mark" just as they score to make it 10-3. Wow.

jbell886

Sep 6, 2009
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 19s19 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario

Buzzer beater for Sanheim … Canada wins 10-3

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Hard to draw many conclusions on players, considering the opponents. Wish there was a bit of a tougher opponent for them to play right now.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hard to draw many conclusions on players, considering the opponents. Wish there was a bit of a tougher opponent for them to play right now.

Best for them to build some chemistry and have the confidence of putting the puck in the net wearing a different jersey than usual. The tougher opponents will come soon.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
'So the Question is not who stood out, but who didn't.

Didn't watch the game, so were there any players that were invisible tonight?

Cuts coming up

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Best for them to build some chemistry and have the confidence of putting the puck in the net wearing a different jersey than usual. The tougher opponents will come soon.

True, but I still don't like the idea of making cuts based on a 10-3 blow out.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Just by following some tweets about the game and comments afterwards, coach seemed to think point and crouse had good games

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The score doesn't really surprise me. CIS all-stars have no chemistry and although they are the best of the CIS, all the world junior players are more talented. I think if they played a team like U of A it would be closer because they have chemistry and team structure. What were the scores of these games in the past?

Some years ago they actually had a CIS all-star team, but the last 3 or 4 years its a collection of local CIS teams.

So today it was a collection of UofT, Ryerson and York players. At what point would one of those teams on their own have done just as good, I wonder?

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Some years ago they actually had a CIS all-star team, but the last 3 or 4 years its a collection of local CIS teams.

So today it was a collection of UofT, Ryerson and York players. At what point would one of those teams on their own have done just as good, I wonder?
I don't know how those teams manage in the regular season, but I'm sure U of A would have put up a good fight. Do they play the exact same team tomorrow or are they playing another? This team would be a decent matchup i think:
http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/cis_international/2014-15/releases/mhkyroster15

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I'd imagine if it was just players from 3 teams they would have run their players out there with players from their same team. For example there would be a UofT line, Ryerson line, York line, UofT pairing, Ryerson pairing, etc. And they would for the most part be out on the ice with players from their same team so they would have that chemistry.

But maybe they didn't do it that way I don't know.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Was at the game tonight, here are some of my thoughts.

The lines that were posted were not the lines that ended the game, everyone almost played with everyone and they didn't stay together for very long throughout the game, trying to see who fits well with others. I thought Hickets and Bigras were the best D in the game, Sanheim seemed to struggle with the pressure from the fore check and didn't move the puck as well as I would have liked to see from him. Fleury had a couple nice rushes but wasn't a standout, so probably a good thing. Really hard to judge the D in this game though as they all had there good points and not many negatives from there game.

I thought Fabbri was the best player for Team Canada tonight, scoring two goals but also just creating a ton of scoring chances and being hard on the puck. He has such a good nose for the net and should be a lock for this team. I thought Gauthier also looked good, causing many turnovers on the fore check and made smart plays all around the ice. His skating is a non issue on the NHL sized ice and he takes away time and space very effectively. Dal Colle was decent but I've seen him play much better than he did tonight. Scored a goal but needed to get his shot off a little quicker, which is his bread and butter.

I thought some of the Dub forwards, like Chartier, Point and Klimchuk had solid games. Point is a very smart player who was creating chances all night and is strong on the puck for a smaller player. He goes hard to the net and has good vision, as well as strong puck skills. Klimchuk played with a ton of energy and was pressuring the puck and the puck carrier well all night, good speed as well. Couldn't help but think of Carter Ashton from his time with the WJ team in Buffalo, looked awfully similar to Ashton with that team. Chartier has a strange skating style, he gets really low to the ice but he is deceptively quick and is smart. He doesn't just throw the puck away and will turn back to preserve possession. Showed some good vision and playmaking abilities, had a couple shots on net as well from in tight. Ritchie had a nice goal on his first shift, and then proceeded to take a dumb roughing penalty after the whistle, which I've seen him do so many times the past two years, not a fan of him at all. Would be one of my first cuts if I was picking the team.

I liked the games of Elie, Paul and Crouse as well. Crouse is a much better suit for this team than say a guy like Ritchie IMO. He is a better skater, a smarter player in all three zones of the rink, and has a bomb of a shot, with a quick release. Also, he is one of the top penalty killers on the team if he makes it. Paul is not the greatest skater out there, but he has a powerful stride and plays a strong north-south game, chipping pucks up the wall and working very hard in puck battles, also has good hands and a nice scoring touch. Him and Elie are most likely in a battle with each other though and if I had to choose, I would take Elie. Just a better skater and one of the best on the team up front I would say.

Virtanen was okay in this game but he always leaves me wanting more whenever I've seen him play. He has a good shot but is pretty predictable with it, shooting primarily from the outside and lacks the creativity and puck skills to beat defenders one on one, and really doesn't have the foot speed. He has a good top end speed but his acceleration leaves a bit to be desired.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I've since updated the Forwards and Defence articles by adding a comment on Saturday's exhibition opener. Feel free to agree or disagree with my projected lineup. Right now I have it as follows:

Domi-Reinhart-Duclair

Petan-McDavid-Crouse

Klimchuk-Chartier-Fabbri

Dal Colle-Gauthier-Virtanen

Point

Morrissey-Bowey
Nurse-Theodore
Bigras-Morin
Heatherington/Hicketts

Fucale
Comrie

Cuts = Ritchie, Baptiste, Dickinson, Paul, Elie, Fleury, Sanheim and 1 of Heatherington/Hicketts.

Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad