WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How exactly is practicing a key component of team defense a "waste of time"?. Canada is bound to have points in our games where we are hemmed in our own zone, and the wingers and defense need to know how the coaching staff wants them pressuring the points, where to be after you block a shot, etc. Hardly a waste of time, considering they have a ton of time to practice everything else. All teams practice this sort of thing, it is important. I'm sure they will spend lots of time over the next two weeks practicing powerpays, penalty killing, breakouts, neutral zone play, how they want to fore check and pressure the puck carrier, etc.

How would the team practicing this drill lower your expectations? When anyone who pays attention to this forum would know that your expectations are already very low, because you dislike everything about Hockey Canada. You were spoiled when we were winning gold medals year after year, and now that we aren't winning and other countries are developing better talent, you just harp on Hockey Canada without offering any ways you would fix things.

Completely agree, these guys are all star players on their teams and many will be forced to take a "role" which may need them to block shots. They didn't dedicate all day to shot blocking I don't believe, and I'm sure that plenty of time will be spent on systems and special teams.

Just a huge overreaction from some posters.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Roughly when do NHL teams make the final announcement if they will send someone back (ie: Lazar)? Also, when do they usually announce the official roster?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Roughly when do NHL teams make the final announcement if they will send someone back (ie: Lazar)? Also, when do they usually announce the official roster?

December 19th is the final day for players to be assigned to the team. NHL rosters freeze after that. As for the final roster, the WJC allows rosters to be open right up to the day before the tournament. Having said that, Canada will typically announce its final roster shortly after the exhibition games are completed.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Any chance for Nick Paul still? How did he do at the SSS series? Ive seen him play a couple times this year and a lot last year. This guy seems to be the real deal. Great all round player who can really put the puck in the back of the net. I feel like he would be really useful.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Horvat currently 56% on faceoffs in the NHL this year, if he is loaned I would expect he will flat out dominate on the dot at the WJC.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
sorry but 1 hour spent on blocking shots is 1 less hour spent on D zone coverage and breakouts which would help them to not have to block shots.

heck it might even help them to outscore their opposition!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
sorry but 1 hour spent on blocking shots is 1 less hour spent on D zone coverage and breakouts which would help them to not have to block shots.

bad logic. One extra hour of something they are likely to focus many hours on is likely to have only a marginal effect since most of the benefit will already be imparted in the first few hours. One hour of shot blocking will have a disproportionately larger impact on their ability to block shots than one extra hour of something they have already spent 7-8 hours on.

People need to calm and stop pretending they are coaches at any level. Even an incompetent coach knows more than almost every poster here.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
bad logic. One extra hour of something they are likely to focus many hours on is likely to have only a marginal effect since most of the benefit will already be imparted in the first few hours. One hour of shot blocking will have a disproportionately larger impact on their ability to block shots than one extra hour of something they have already spent 7-8 hours on.

People need to calm and stop pretending they are coaches at any level. Even an incompetent coach knows more than almost every poster here.

This. When there's not much to analyze, people tend to over-analyze the little info they have. You see it all the time with posters assuming certain players are arrogant based on a couple of interviews.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
lines for tonight:
DalColle-Dickinson-Point
Elie-Paul-Baptiste
Ritchie-Gauthier-Virtanen
Klimchuk-Chartier-Fabbri
Crouse

Heatherington-Hicketts
Morin-Bigras
Fleury-Sanheim
Bowey

Fucale starts tonight. Comrie tomorrow.

Per Stephane Leroux (junior hockey expert for RDS) the guys that are scratched tonight are locks to make the team so: Nurse, Theodore, Morrissey, Domi, Reinhart, Duclair, Petan & McDavid. (no surprise)

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
lines for tonight:
DalColle-Dickinson-Point
Elie-Paul-Baptiste
Klimchuk-Chartier-Fabbri
Crouse

Heatherington-Hicketts
Morin-Bigras
Fleury-Sanheim
Bowey

Per Stephane Leroux (junior hockey expert for RDS) the guys that are scratched tonight are locks to make the team so: Nurse, Theodore, Morrissey, Domi, Reinhart, Duclair, Petan & McDavid. (no surprise)

That 3rd lines size..

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Any chance for Nick Paul still? How did he do at the SSS series? Ive seen him play a couple times this year and a lot last year. This guy seems to be the real deal. Great all round player who can really put the puck in the back of the net. I feel like he would be really useful.

The problem is you just described a number of players on the team not named Paul. Yes he stands a chance and can easily be there, but many other can also fill that description. Its a matter of having too many good players to choose from.

If anything holds Paul back it will be his skating. If this was in Europe I'd say no, but on NA ice hsi chances are 50/50 I would think.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Why do they have Fabbri on the 4th line? He's a skilled player and should be with a Dal Colle or Virtanen.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
lines for tonight:
DalColle-Dickinson-Point
Elie-Paul-Baptiste
Klimchuk-Chartier-Fabbri
Crouse

Heatherington-Hicketts
Morin-Bigras
Fleury-Sanheim
Bowey

Am I missing something, game tonight?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Is it possible they're looking at tonight's top-4 for the final Dman?

Nurse-Theodore
Morrissey-Bowey
Fleury-Sanheim
???

That's probably what I'd pick along with Morin or Heatherington for the 7th spot.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Is it possible they're looking at tonight's top-4 for the final Dman?

Nurse-Theodore
Morrissey-Bowey
Fleury-Sanheim
???

That's probably what I'd pick along with Morin or Heatherington for the 7th spot.

1st cuts are expected to be made after tomorrow's scrimmage so I'd say they have another chance after tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad