WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Honestly not sure if Virtanen should be on the team, he hasn't had a great season and if he didn't make it I wouldn't be angry. I'd take him, but if HC goes a different direction I won't be mad.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Honestly not sure if Virtanen should be on the team, he hasn't had a great season and if he didn't make it I wouldn't be angry. I'd take him, but if HC goes a different direction I won't be mad.

From last week:

Looks alright to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It seems a lot of people on here believe that Virtanen is a skill guy

Im going to say different the plays he makes in whl won't work at this level

I think team Canada takes him! Not sure if posters will feel the same

after the tourney as they do now. Great third line guy but not a playmaker

Are there only two options in the world? Either a playmaker or a 3rd liner? Isn't there possibly something else the kid is good at that you can think of? Hmmm, something, had a 45 in it or something, oh well it'll come to me eventually ...

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

what changed from two days ago:laugh:
With the news that Duclair is being released to the team, I see the roster shaking down something like this.

Domi- McDavid- Fabbri
Dal Colle- Reinhart- Duclair
Ritchie- Petan- Virtanen
Dickinson- Gauthier- Baptiste
Point

Morrissey- Bowey
Nurse- Theodore
Sanheim- Bigras
Fleury

Fucale
Comrie

I hold out hope that one, possibly two of the NHLers get sent back... I doubt it happens but it isn't like they'll exactly be missed by their NHL teams.

If by some god for saken reason they all got sent back I could see the roster shaking down something like this.

Drouin- McDavid- Duclair
Domi- Reinhart- Lazar
Dal Colle- Horvat- Fabbri
Ritchie- Petan- Virtanen
Point

With the rest of the roster remaining the same.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Anyone know if the game vs the CIS All-Stars (tomorrow?) is going to be streamed/broadcasted?

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
This guy...

It seems a lot of people on here believe that Virtanen is a skill guy

What would lead you to believe he isn't a "skill guy"? Typically a player that scores 45 goals in his draft year and then proceeds to be ranked in the top 7 by almost every single independent scouting body is considered a skilled player.

Im going to say different the plays he makes in whl won't work at this level
What aspect of his game won't translate well? The elite skating? The rocket shot? The willingness to go to the dirty areas to score?

I think team Canada takes him! Not sure if posters will feel the same
after the tourney as they do now. Great third line guy but not a playmaker
No **** he isn't a playmaker, he scored 45 goals last year and his greatest attributes are his speed, size, and shot. Canada is flooded with playmaking talent and lacks goal scoring prowess. There's a reason combos like Getzlaf and Perry, Backstrom and Ovechkin, Malkin and Neal, Sid and Kunitz etc. work so well. If you can't figure it out let me give you a hint, both playmaking as well as finishing ability are required to produce offense.

Ari Gold

Dec 13, 2013
Hollywood
Anyone know if the game vs the CIS All-Stars (tomorrow?) is going to be streamed/broadcasted?

This is the only hockey TSN has right now. I'm sure they will have 4 hours of pre-game coverage prior to the game haha..

Yes it will be televised.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Virtanen's floaty defense won't translate well.

No doubt he should be on this team though

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Virtanen's floaty defense won't translate well.

No doubt he should be on this team though

I agree, he looked lost in the defensive zone every time I've seen him. Fortunately that's something that can be worked on, and remedied, relatively easily.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Who cares he can float as much as he wants with Gauthier the defensive beast on his line.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
It's just me, or the defence looks to be great this year? I mean, Nurse, Morrissey, Sanheim, Fleury, Bowey, Theodore...that sounds pretty good. And then you have Bigras, Heatherington, Morin, Hicketts....tough to pick the TOP6. With that in mind, if the goaltending is fine, the team is going to be really strong.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's just me, or the defence looks to be great this year? I mean, Nurse, Morrissey, Sanheim, Fleury, Bowey, Theodore...that sounds pretty good. And then you have Bigras, Heatherington, Morin, Hicketts....tough to pick the TOP6. With that in mind, if the goaltending is fine, the team is going to be really strong.

Good thing they never pick the best available goalie!

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Fabbri-Mcdavid-Virtanen
Domi-Reinhart-Duclair
Dal-Colle-Horvat-Lazar
Klimchuk-Petan-Ritchie

Nurse-Theodore
Morrissey-Bowey
Fleury-Sanheim
*Morin

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Groulx said the starting role is up for grabs, which is good. I mean, if you're not bringing 3 goalies to camp, might as well make it a competition for the starting role.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I think the boys at Hockey Canada are big enough to take a little criticism, so should you. suck it up.

and in the spirit of Hockey Canada and the continuing pimping out of our junior players to their corporate partners, all my criticism is brought to you by Bob's Burger truck.
Suck it up? I'm not the one being criticized. You're the one whining about them blocking shots in practice and I just explained how useful it was. But of course you don't address anything I say because you know you're wrong :laugh:

Anyways, what time is the CIS game today?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Suck it up? I'm not the one being criticized. You're the one whining about them blocking shots in practice and I just explained how useful it was. But of course you don't address anything I say because you know you're wrong :laugh:

Anyways, what time is the CIS game today?

I only expressed an opinion that it is a waste of time drill. If you don't agree, you don't agree. it makes no difference to me.

A few HC disciples who swallow the Word of HC like it's religious dogma get all knotted up over an opinion and bent out of shape... but hey, if you don't think HC deserves to be criticized for their results over the past 5 years at all levels of the POE, then lay out your defense of HC... I'd like to hear it.

CIS game? who cares. Don't they usually lose these games. I'll tune in to the final pre-tourney game when the roster should be pretty much set... and besides I have Christmas shopping to do.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I only expressed an opinion that it is a waste of time drill. If you don't agree, you don't agree. it makes no difference to me.

A few HC disciples who swallow the Word of HC like it's religious dogma get all knotted up over an opinion and bent out of shape... but hey, if you don't think HC deserves to be criticized for their results over the past 5 years at all levels of the POE, then lay out your defense of HC... I'd like to hear it.

CIS game? who cares. Don't they usually lose these games. I'll tune in to the final pre-tourney game when the roster should be pretty much set... and besides I have Christmas shopping to do.
I'm far from a HC disciple and I'm incredibly critical, especially towards the politics of how they pick the team. I just think it's ridiculous to criticize them for blocking shots, something that most of the guys don't know how to do. It doesn't mean I "swallow the word of HC".

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm far from a HC disciple and I'm incredibly critical, especially towards the politics of how they pick the team. I just think it's ridiculous to criticize them for blocking shots, something that most of the guys don't know how to do. It doesn't mean I "swallow the word of HC".

I wouldn't criticize if they weren't such sellouts to their "corporate sponsors". Take the team and disappear somewhere, prepare the right way...but since they insist on broadcasting every minute, I'm going to do what I do... this post brought to you by Bob's Burger Truck. HC is just rotten to its core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad