WJC: 2015 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Way too much overreaction about the shot blocking drill. I don't mind it as a camp primer as it puts the thought into the player's heads that this team will require sacrifice.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Way too much overreaction about the shot blocking drill. I don't mind it as a camp primer as it puts the thought into the player's heads that this team will require sacrifice.

Calling it for what it is, stupid, is not an overreaction. The overreaction is coming from those who don't agree with the stupid assessment.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
So if this drill isn't mentioned then what do we complain about?

I would prefer that all these camps be at some secret location, closed to the public and without the constant TSN updates on McDavid's bathroom breaks. I have no interest in what they do, but if they insist on making every second of it public, I'm going to comment on it. And if something strikes me as idiotic, then I'm going to write it. One of these days Hockey Canada will smarten up.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Everybody calm down, I'm sure there will be plenty of system work coming :laugh: I get that HC makes a lot of stupid decisions but freaking out over them blocking shots in a practice seems really silly. Wasn't even the first practice with everybody there.

Aceonfire*

I think after all of this media attention McDavid is probably praying that a small market American team drafts him.

Although I am sure the NHL won't let a generational player play for a Canadian team. They want to "grow the sport".

Macman

May 15, 2004
Calling it for what it is, stupid, is not an overreaction. The overreaction is coming from those who don't agree with the stupid assessment.

I know you hate HC, but come on. It's great that they're making these kids block shots. It sends a message from the opening day that hard work and sacrifice are necessary to win this thing again and that, hopefully, anything less than that won't be tolerated. Maybe if we blocked a few more shots we might a held a lead or two over the past five years.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Didn't we have a shot-blocking issue last season that lead to a couple of goals? I recall Drouin not covering the point close enough leading to a goal in one of the bigger games.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think after all of this media attention McDavid is probably praying that a small market American team drafts him.

Although I am sure the NHL won't let a generational player play for a Canadian team. They want to "grow the sport".

I honestly think McDavid doesn't care where he goes. This won't stop him. Crosby gets ton of media attention and it doesn't seem to bother him. Besides, McDavid has Orr as his agent. He'll get through it fine and become a great NHLer.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Let's not overreact here, as a lot of the players unfortunately weren't at the practice due to travel delays so its probably understandable that the coaching staff didn't want to dive right in to the meat and potatoes system work and trying out line combinations.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I know you hate HC, but come on. It's great that they're making these kids block shots. It sends a message from the opening day that hard work and sacrifice are necessary to win this thing again and that, hopefully, anything less than that won't be tolerated. Maybe if we blocked a few more shots we might a held a lead or two over the past five years.

I don't hate HC. I hate the bureaucratic simpletons who work there...well, 1 in particular.

as for the rest of it, John Tortorella and last year's Vancouver Canucks demonstrated the silliness of this as a team-wide tactic. If an elite level player, deserving enough to make the team, has this in his repertoire, then by all means, he can go out and perform it, but team wide... ya I don't want McDavid or Reinhart or whoever flopping around out there if that's not what they normally do.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I don't hate HC. I hate the bureaucratic simpletons who work there...well, 1 in particular.

as for the rest of it, John Tortorella and last year's Vancouver Canucks demonstrated the silliness of this as a team-wide tactic. If an elite level player, deserving enough to make the team, has this in his repertoire, then by all means, he can go out and perform it, but team wide... ya I don't want McDavid or Reinhart or whoever flopping around out there if that's not what they normally do.

Maybe that's why they are having the drill so if they do go down to block the shot they aren't flopping around but making a proper block? Is it possible that the team system to be used might require them to block shots and they want the team to block shots properly in case that situation comes up?

Macman

May 15, 2004

L.A. employs it pretty effectively, as did Finland last year. I don't want McDavid taking one off the ankle either, but hopefully he'll be in the other team's end all the time. :)

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/Junior/2014-15/Selection-Camp/Schedule

NOTE: All practices at the MasterCard Centre on Dec. 11-12 are open to the public free of charge, while both games at the Mattamy Athletic Centre will be ticketed. - See more at: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Te.../Selection-Camp/Schedule#sthash.J9yW8KFn.dpuf

So yeah, they're open to the public. Friday's first practice is 10:45AM ET.

Awesome! Will provide a little write up on what I notice if I end up going out later today.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Per Mark Masters

Domi-Reinhart-Duclair
Dal Colle-Dickinson-Point
Ritchie-Gauthier-Virtanen
Elie-Paul-Baptiste
Klimchuk-Chartier-Fabbri
Petan-McDavid-Crouse

Nurse-Theodore
Heatherington-Hicketts
Morin-Bigras
Fleury-Sanheim
Morrissey-Bowey

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think I've seen everyone's mock lineup with Petan in the middle. Not saying he's not being looked at as a centre, but he played some games with the Jets in the pre-season on the wing and looked good there. It's possible his future in the NHL is on the wing anyway.

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
My thoughts on the roster (lines might not be exact):

Domi - McDavid - Duclair
Dal Colle - Reinhart - Petan
Klimchuk - Chartier - Fabbri
Ritchie - Paul - Point

Morrissey - Bowey
Nurse - Hicketts
Fluery - Sanheim
Theodore

Fucale
Comrie

Still wish Ho Sang was there.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Any reason why so many are leaving Bigras off of their projected rosters? Have you just not seen him much or do you feel that there are truly 7 better defenders?

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Any reason why so many are leaving Bigras off of their projected rosters? Have you just not seen him much or do you feel that there are truly 7 better defenders?

He was atrocious last year and left a bad taste in many peoples mouth.. It seems as though he has improved a decent amount this year and had an abnormally horrid tournament last year. I personally believe he makes the team as a lower pairing guy

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Per Mark Masters

Domi-Reinhart-Duclair
Dal Colle-Dickinson-Point
Ritchie-Gauthier-Virtanen
Elie-Paul-Baptiste
Klimchuk-Chartier-Fabbri
Petan-McDavid-Crouse

Nurse-Theodore
Heatherington-Hicketts
Morin-Bigras
Fleury-Sanheim
Morrissey-Bowey
Looks like Petan is on the outside looking in so far. I don't think he's been 100% since being trucked in October.

Glad Ho-Sang wasn't invited. His season so far has been 'meh' as well. Don't need yet another option like him in this lineup.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
My thoughts on the roster (lines might not be exact):

Domi - McDavid - Duclair
Dal Colle - Reinhart - Petan
Klimchuk - Chartier - Fabbri
Ritchie - Paul - Point

Morrissey - Bowey
Nurse - Hicketts
Fluery - Sanheim
Theodore

Fucale
Comrie

Still wish Ho Sang was there.

I don't know if it was just an oversight on your part, but there's no way, barring injury, that Virtanen isn't on the final roster, particularly with a dearth of natural right wingers.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Given that the bottom 8 teams are American I don't think we have to develop any stupid conspiracy theories about the draft lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad