Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Many people had Kristo pencilled into at least challenge for a 3rd line spot this upcoming season before we acquired Haggerty and Hayes.

Since then, he's kind of gotten lost in the shuffle, but he's a player who uses his body well to protect the puck, has a great release and a nose for the net. He's not that big, but he plays bigger than he is. If nothing else, he adds another degree of competition to an already deep group of youngsters vying for a spot on that third line

Miller
Hayes
Haggerty
Kristo

Lindberg
Fast

with Duclair as an extreme long-shot to make the big club this season, but is certainly someone to keep an eye on throughout the year as he's got all the tools to be a dangerous top-6 forward in the NHL when he's ready. And by all accounts, he may only be a year away.

I think guys like Duclair, Buchnevich, Bodie, and Skjei will all be competing for NHL spots next season.

I think Hayes and Miller make it out of camp, with Haggerty, Lindberg, and Kristo being the first on-deck/injury call-ups during the season, depending on the position needed. I think Fast will end up having a solid NHL career, but I don't see it happening in New York. He's got too many more-skilled players ahead of him on the depth chart and not enough available spots. It's purely a numbers game rather than a knock on Fast, himself.

As far as defense goes, I think Allen will definitely be the first call-up in the event of an injury. I think McIlrath ends up being a major bust, and guys like Bodie and Skjei will seriously compete for spots next season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kristo is a very long shot. He's impressed AV after a couple days but he's got a lot of veterans ahead of him and a bunch of younger guys as well. The odds of him making the Rangers out of training camp this year are not very good.

His avenue to the Rangers is probably going to be good play in Hartford and injuries in New York. Then he'll have to make good on that kind of opportunity--not be a passenger. IMO the best thing that could happen to him is he'd go to a team that's even shorter on offense and forward depth than we are--such as Phoenix, Nashville or Buffalo.

I will say I like him better than Christian Thomas.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
News of the week for me is hearing how well Rick Nash and more importantly JT Miller conditioned themselves in the offseason. Hearing AV hint at Miller "getting it" and "taking the next step" is huge news, especially at such a young age. With his frame, skillset and swagger im hoping we are in for a breakout year for one of our top prospects. that could be huge for this teams depth down the middle.

Reading between the lines on Hayes, i think he starts with the Wolfpack unless he totally wows in camp. Its up to him to dominate at the AHL level and make his way up around Christmas or later.

BarbaraAlphanse

The guy hasn't even made it into a game yet. It's a bit early to be congratulating yourself.

Well what I predicted was that he was going to be turning heads and vying for a spot legitimately... which is what he is already doing...

So i'm actually within the scope of congratulating myself and it being justifiable.

I do enjoy your attempts to try and neutralize my optimism for certain prospects, even transcending sport boundaries.

BarbaraAlphanse

Kristo is a very long shot. He's impressed AV after a couple days but he's got a lot of veterans ahead of him and a bunch of younger guys as well. The odds of him making the Rangers out of training camp this year are not very good.

His avenue to the Rangers is probably going to be good play in Hartford and injuries in New York. Then he'll have to make good on that kind of opportunity--not be a passenger. IMO the best thing that could happen to him is he'd go to a team that's even shorter on offense and forward depth than we are--such as Phoenix, Nashville or Buffalo.

I will say I like him better than Christian Thomas.

I don't think he makes it out of camp... but I do think that Stempniak will constantly have to look over his shoulder, as the smallest sustained hiccup by him will warrant Kristo coming up.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Well what I predicted was that he was going to be turning heads and vying for a spot legitimately... which is what he is already doing...

So i'm actually within the scope of congratulating myself and it being justifiable.

I do enjoy your attempts to try and neutralize my optimism for certain prospects, even transcending sport boundaries.

Congratulating yourself over the fact that he got praised for his off ice conditioning along with a bunch of other people is about as straw grasping as it gets. There aren't even any scrimmage reports on him yet.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
People tend to forget that even though Kristo is 24, last year was his first full pro season. I think he's certainly in the mix, although I'm not sure how he is on the defensive side of the puck. Anyone watch any Hartford games last season?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Congratulating yourself over the fact that he got praised for his off ice conditioning along with a bunch of other people is about as straw grasping as it gets. There aren't even any scrimmage reports on him yet.

Yeah, Rust/Ken and I agreed on most things WP last year, but his take on Kristo mystified me - I agree that he absolutely has the shooter's touch, but my view is that he's completely clueless when he doesn't have the puck. Very curious to see him during actual gameplay this TC.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Reading between the lines on Hayes, i think he starts with the Wolfpack unless he totally wows in camp. Its up to him to dominate at the AHL level and make his way up around Christmas or later.

I think Lindberg might be ahead of Hayes this year. He is perfectly suited for a bottom 6 role and has enough years of experience where it isn't a problem putting him in a 4C role. I don't see the Rangers putting Hayes on the fourth line this year, nor do I see him beating out Step, Brass or Miller for a spot. He will likely get a few cups of coffee when injuries hit, but I would bet on Lindberg over Hayes this season.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I think Lindberg might be ahead of Hayes this year. He is perfectly suited for a bottom 6 role and has enough years of experience where it isn't a problem putting him in a 4C role. I don't see the Rangers putting Hayes on the fourth line this year, nor do I see him beating out Step, Brass or Miller for a spot. He will likely get a few cups of coffee when injuries hit, but I would bet on Lindberg over Hayes this season.

It depends how married they are to Hayes at center. I think Miller probably has the inside track on the third line center spot, but there's another top nine wing spot available if a kid forces his way in. I think it comes down to Haggerty versus Fast versus a veteran, but we could see Hayes there too.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
How is Nash on LW?

Would be nice to see AV try out
Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How is Nash on LW?

Would be nice to see AV try out
Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello

Nash starter his career on LW and played there for a few seasons before switching to the other wing. He would be fine imo.

As far as your lines go, I'd flip Nash and Kreider. Kreider and Step have the better chemistry.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Because of a nasty head cold, it took me 10 minutes to figure out the Monte name.

Good for him, it's an asset that increased its value. It's still a big hill to climb.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I predicted that some players will look good and others will look bad while some may exhibit both sides of that spectrum. Please marvel in my ability to predict things!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Nash starter his career on LW and played there for a few seasons before switching to the other wing. He would be fine imo.

As far as your lines go, I'd flip Nash and Kreider. Kreider and Step have the better chemistry.

Kreider and Step have the chemistry and if MSL can use Kreider's speed like he used Hags in the playoffs, that could be great.

For the Brass line, Nash and Kreider are both pretty big upgrades over Pouliot. Either could work there.

member 116805

Is todays scrimmage streamed? Or do I remember wrong? Anyone know what time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad