Speculation: 2014 Offseason - Roster Building / Trade Speculation Thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yes only. You're the expert and I respect your posts. What is generally the highest percentage each year?
55%-58% is normally the highest. And those teams are very successful. So I don't see why you're looking at this as an "only".

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
-31-, who is the better player, Dan Girardi or Anton Stralman, and is it strictly because of Corsi stats?

(patiently waits for indirect answer and more macro-possession stats preaching)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That'd be a hell of a team.

But they'd still only possess the puck between 50 and 60 percent of the time and need to defend without it.

EDIT: And some of the players' Corsi ratings would go down because of that fact, and they would be viewed as liabilities.

This is backwards. Almost every players CORSI would go up not down as they for the most part would be playing against weaker competition.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
55%-58% is normally the highest. And those teams are very successful. So I don't see why you're looking at this as an "only".

Okay no that's my point. Thank you. So 42-45 percent of the time you're playing without the puck. So there is value in having players who play well without the puck, blocking shots, and hitting.

You can assemble a team of players with the best Corsi ratings and what would happen is some of their ratings would drop significantly because some of them would be on the ice when their team doesn't have the puck, and they'd be viewed as a liability by their team's fans.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This is backwards. Almost every players CORSI would go up not down as they for the most part would be playing against weaker competition.

No it wouldn't. How is that possible? If the best team possesses the puck 58% of the time - and you assemble all the best CORSI players - they will not possess the puck 75-80 percent of the time. It will be 55-58% just like it is now because that's not how hockey works. Hence - some of their CORSI ratings would go down.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
-31-, who is the better player, Dan Girardi or Anton Stralman, and is it strictly because of Corsi stats?

(patiently waits for indirect answer and more macro-possession stats preaching)
I'd lean Girardi, but I don't know. Stralman tends to have a positive impact on the possession game of those he plays with, and Girardi the opposite. How much of that is because of the tougher minutes Girardi plays, I can't be sure.

Why is this the issue? I want both in the lineup next season.

If you want to grill me for not giving a definite answer, go ahead. I would suggest you consider taking that stance more often, however. You'd make an ass of yourself far less often.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Okay no that's my point. Thank you. So 42-45 percent of the time you're playing without the puck. So there is value in having players who play well without the puck, blocking shots, and hitting.

You can assemble a team of players with the best Corsi ratings and what would happen is some of their ratings would drop significantly because some of them would be on the ice when their team doesn't have the puck, and they'd be viewed as a liability by their team's fans.
Sure, but I'd much rather have a group of 55% players ok without the puck than 45% players who excel without it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'd lean Girardi, but I don't know. Stralman tends to have a positive impact on the possession game of those he plays with, and Girardi the opposite. How much of that is because of the tougher minutes Girardi plays, I can't be sure.

Why is this the issue? I want both in the lineup next season.

If you want to grill me for not giving a definite answer, go ahead. I would suggest you consider taking that stance more often, however. You'd make an ass of yourself far less often.

If my bashing of Zuccarello's defensive play before he had a very good season is your best ammo, Ill take it.

Anyway, this whole thing started because some posters seem to think Stralman is a better (and in some cases, MUCH better) player than Girardi. The only evidence being provided are possession stats. And, while important, I think if thats the only thing you're coming to the table with, its a ******** argument. I'd lean Girardi, too.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If my bashing of Zuccarello's defensive play before he had a very good season is your best ammo, Ill take it.

Anyway, this whole thing started because some posters seem to think Stralman is a better (and in some cases, MUCH better) player than Girardi. The only evidence being provided are possession stats. And, while important, I think if thats the only thing you're coming to the table with, its a ******** argument. I'd lean Girardi, too.
I was more referring to your chronic pissing on the Rangers' chances this year, but the Zuccarello thing is good too.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm confused as to what else is better that someone could reference to, to support their argument, than statistical evidence.

Litmus test?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The people criticizing advanced metrics because they don't match up with their personal eye tests are missing the point. If all advanced stats told you was what your eyes told you, then we wouldn't need them. As -31- has pointed out, there are two ways to make the SCF: You can either be one of the best possession teams in the league or you can have both Crosby and Malkin on your roster. Only one of those options is available to the Rangers.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'm confused as to what else is better that someone could reference to, to support their argument, than statistical evidence.

Litmus test?

A broader array of statistical evidence.

And, on the more anecdotal side, why 2 very good NHL coaches trust Girardi more as a player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Pouliot leaves, there are a few options I think they should look at, some have been thrown around:

Morin
Winnik
Jokinen (Jussi)
Fast

If Stralman leaves, there's a couple of options:
Boyle
Weaver
Niskanen
Gilbert
Fayne
Franson
Allen

For Richards replacement there are a few choices as well:
Grabovski
Stastny
ROR
Legwand
Miller
Lindberg

Boyle will most likely be leaving and they will need a replacement:
Winnik
Gibbons
Carcillo
Malhotra
Helm
Fast
Haggerty
Miller

Who am I missing?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The people criticizing advanced metrics because they don't match up with their personal eye tests are missing the point. If all advanced stats told you was what your eyes told you, then we wouldn't need them. As -31- has pointed out, there are two ways to make the SCF: You can either be one of the best possession teams in the league or you can have both Crosby and Malkin on your roster. Only one of those options is available to the Rangers.

I dont disagree with what you're saying here.

I do think the Girardi vs. Stralman debate is an incredibly stupid example for you to be using.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
The only "stathead" player I hate is John Mitchell.

Fact of the matter is, most players who have the puck are good players.

With Stralman, who plays good D AND possesses the puck, you have a great player.

BarbaraAlphanse

A broader array of statistical evidence.

And, on the more anecdotal side, why 2 very good NHL coaches trust Girardi more as a player.

Didn't you claim that the Stralman-Staal pairing was tasked with the hardest defensive responsibilities during the playoffs?

Can't have it both ways.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Pouliot leaves, there are a few options I think they should look at, some have been thrown around:

Morin
Winnik
Jokinen (Jussi)
Fast

Boyle
Weaver
Niskanen
Gilbert
Fayne
Franson
Allen

Grabovski
Stastny
ROR
Legwand
Miller
Lindberg

Winnik
Gibbons
Carcillo
Malhotra
Helm
Fast
Haggerty
Miller

Who am I missing?

Everyone else in the league besides goalies, technically.

BarbaraAlphanse

Morin
Winnik
Jokinen (Jussi)
Fast

Boyle
Weaver
Niskanen
Gilbert
Fayne
Franson
Allen

Grabovski
Stastny
ROR
Legwand
Miller
Lindberg

Winnik
Gibbons
Carcillo
Malhotra
Helm
Fast
Haggerty
Miller

Who am I missing?

Sobering post.

You're missing Kristo and Haggerty for Poo. Haggerty has a good frame. He could be used on the 4th line, too. Kristo has better offensive ability than Poo, somehow manages worse defensive capabilities.

Somewhere, Marek Hrvik is wondering what else he has to do to make this team.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
No it wouldn't. How is that possible? If the best team possesses the puck 58% of the time - and you assemble all the best CORSI players - they will not possess the puck 75-80 percent of the time. It will be 55-58% just like it is now because that's not how hockey works. Hence - some of their CORSI ratings would go down.

What gives you the idea that the current best team would be better than an essential all star team that exceeds the salary cap if you did this? 58% is not a hard cap for the max team corsi.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sobering post.

You're missing Kristo and Haggerty for Poo. Haggerty has a good frame. He could be used on the 4th line, too. Kristo has better offensive ability than Poo, somehow manages worse defensive capabilities.

Somewhere, Marek Hrvik is wondering what else he has to do to make this team.

He has to score. I like his frame and overall game, but I'm wondering if he is just too bland as opposed to some others.

Any UFA's that I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad