2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Why do I have a sick to my stomach feeling that we won't win the lottery and the team that does takes Reinhart? Unless we, NJ or Edmonton win the lottery I think we lose out on Reinhart :(. If we do pick #2 I give whoever has #1 as many 2nds as they want to swap picks so we can get Reinhart.

The absolute worst case scenario is that the Isles win the lottery. They would definitely defer to 2015 and are 100% taking Sam R because they already have his brother. That would make me so ****ing angry I would Lose it and only us getting McDavid or Eichel with the Isles 2015 1st would be the only thing to make up for it.

After listening to Murray, I think he might like Bennett more than Reinhart. I don't think we can go wrong with either "Sam"

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Nah that's just you being hopeful :laugh:

Yeah, thats part of it, but I can see Florida liking Draisatl's toolset and his ability to play more of a winger's game more than Bennett's. He would be a really good winger for a guy like Bjugstad or Barkov.

I'm not saying it WILL be that. I'm saying that I can see it happening.

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
For me it has to come down to one of the Sams. Rienhart seems to be a bit better offensively. Bennett seem to be the more complete player of any forward in the draft. I prefer Bennett, but it would be great if Murray could somehow get both.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For me it has to come down to one of the Sams. Rienhart seems to be a bit better offensively. Bennett seem to be the more complete player of any forward in the draft. I prefer Bennett, but it would be great if Murray could somehow get both.

The only way the Sabres land both is if the Islanders win the lottery and give the Sabres the 2014 pick because they are afraid of giving up McDavid and Murray goes BFA+BFA instead of Ekblad+BFA.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
If Buffalo somehow ended up with two of the "Big 3" of this draft....man. MAN.

ZeroPT*

Yeah, thats part of it, but I can see Florida liking Draisatl's toolset and his ability to play more of a winger's game more than Bennett's. He would be a really good winger for a guy like Bjugstad or Barkov.

I'm not saying it WILL be that. I'm saying that I can see it happening.

they already have 2 big top 6 centers in Barkov and Bjugstad so I don't think they'd go after another. Bennett fits better but I think they go Dal Colle unless they win the lotto.

BUF-Reinhart
EDM-Ekblad
FLA-Dal Colle
CGY-Bennett
NYI-Draisaitl

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
What if the Sabres traded Christian Erhoff, Luke Adam, and the rest of their draft picks this year for Edmonton pick?

The Sabres would give up a lot, but would still be loaded with prospects and have 2 top line players for the future and they would still have the Islanders and their own pick next year. Maybe it sounds unlikely to happen but it could make sense for both teams.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
It's crazy but if TM thought that the groundwork has already been laid for the rebuild and that the next two drafts are only to find the future first line then why not go crazy and give up a late first and two seconds or three seconds plus the later round picks. Obviously it would only happen if the scouting staff fell in love with a prospect and were confident in his future success. The potential Erhoff recapture may be the scariest part of the trade.

A similar trade could be made in 2015 instead for the same reasons. Not that you could acquire a McDavid or Eichel this way (if they pan out into the top prospects everyone believes they will be) but if there was someone else in the draft the front office thought highly of then maybe pull the trigger.

This is of course mostly NHL14 video game talk. Similar trades have been few and far between in real life...right? Eric Lindross comes to mind but not quite the same situation since it was for players, 2 first rounders and cash instead of a gaggle of draft picks.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
What if the Sabres traded Christian Erhoff, Luke Adam, and the rest of their draft picks this year for Edmonton pick?

The Sabres would give up a lot, but would still be loaded with prospects and have 2 top line players for the future and they would still have the Islanders and their own pick next year. Maybe it sounds unlikely to happen but it could make sense for both teams.

No one wants Luke Adam.

And I asked about trading CE for that same pick earlier in this thread and was given a lot of good reasons why that would never happen. It would have to be Myers. You really have to give up something painful in order to get something that great. If it doesn't hurt bad to get rid of a piece, then it's probably not attractive to the Oilers.

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
No one wants Luke Adam.

And I asked about trading CE for that same pick earlier in this thread and was given a lot of good reasons why that would never happen. It would have to be Myers. You really have to give up something painful in order to get something that great. If it doesn't hurt bad to get rid of a piece, then it's probably not attractive to the Oilers.

Erhoff is pretty painful, we have the risk of recapture and his salary is cheap as dirt right now.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
No one wants Luke Adam.

Previously I was against trading Ehrhoff. But if you really can reduce significantly the recapture penalty by retaining 50% of Ehrhoff's salary, I would consider trading him. I mean the value of Ehrhoff with 2 mil. caphit would be enoumous.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Previously I was against trading Ehrhoff. But if you really can reduce significantly the recapture penalty by retaining 50% of Ehrhoff's salary, I would consider trading him. I mean the value of Ehrhoff with 2 mil. caphit would be enoumous.

I don't think we're allowed any more retained salary, are we? Or does it reset every offseason?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't think we're allowed any more retained salary, are we? Or does it reset every offseason?

You can only retain salary on three SPCs at a time, but all three of the SPCs Buffalo is retaining salary on expire this offseason

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I wouldn't give up a 1st and 2 2nds or 3 2nds on top of Ehrhoff for #2 overall.

Ehrhoff + either StL 1st or Buf 2nd would be an intriguing offer.

But, I doubt Edmonton wants to do that deal. If Ekblad is there for the Oilers, I expect them to just use the pick.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Whatever happens, I trust Tim Murray to make the right decision. He has a vision, and no matter what the situation is, it seems like he would make the right choice in a very short amount of time. You know he's already rehearsing mock drafts in his head.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY

Garth Snow, is that you?

For reference: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/25/garth-snow-channeled-his-inner-ditka-at-the-nhl-draft/

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

What would Edmonton want with all those picks?

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
The Sabres are so loaded with prospects right now they need to start packaging players to land top end forwards. they could keep their top pick this year and package the rest of this years draft along with Erhoff.

They could have Bennett, Rienhart, The Islanders pick, Next years #1, Girginsons, Grigorenko, Armia, Compher, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey, Larson, Hurley and others to go along with a loaded defense and the players already on the Sabres team. its time to start getting high end players.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
The Sabres are so loaded with prospects right now they need to start packaging players to land top end forwards. they could keep their top pick this year and package the rest of this years draft along with Erhoff.

They could have Bennett, Rienhart, The Islanders pick, Next years #1, Girginsons, Grigorenko, Armia, Compher, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey, Larson, Hurley and others to go along with a loaded defense and the players already on the Sabres team. its time to start getting high end players.

Bolded: You mean defensive prospects.

Underlined: Remains to be seen if they are NHL regulars. After Grigo, there obviously is a drop off. Remember we need 12 forwards on an NHL team.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bolded: You mean defensive prospects.

Underlined: Remains to be seen if they are NHL regulars. After Grigo, there obviously is a drop off. Remember we need 12 forwards on an NHL team.

Guys like Compher and Baptiste are near guarantees to be NHLers. As to them not being very high-end forward prospects, that's his point. We have a number of legitimate forward prospects (likely NHLers) as well as an obscene number of high draft picks. We need elite talent. He's suggesting trading a quantity of picks that are very unlikely to produce 1st line forwards for a pick that is likely to produce a 1st line forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad