2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I'm no scout and haven't seen much of Reinhart or Bennett beyond highlight reels, but I have been following the 2014 draft fairly closely for some time.

Bennett was projected to be picked in the mid-teens before this season started, while Reinhart and Ekblad were top-2 in every ranking I saw until NHL CSS midterm rankings. I'm always cautious of fast risers in the draft. Has it been Bennett's offense that has been dialed up to another level this year? What has done it for him that wasn't there last year?

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
I'm no scout and haven't seen much of Reinhart or Bennett beyond highlight reels, but I have been following the 2014 draft fairly closely for some time.

Bennett was projected to be picked in the mid-teens before this season started, while Reinhart and Ekblad were top-2 in every ranking I saw until NHL CSS midterm rankings. I'm always cautious of fast risers in the draft. Has it been Bennett's offense that has been dialed up to another level this year? What has done it for him that wasn't there last year?

Bennett is 8 months younger than Riehart, had 1 year less of jr ,and wasn't on peoples radar as much at the start of the season

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I'm having a Sam Bennett day. Yesterday was Reinhart. What will tomorrow hold?
Draisaitl.
oBYtccl.png

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
http://www.thewhig.com/2014/04/02/its-not-a-good-feeling

'Bennett, if he is deemed healthy enough, is going to play for Canada at the under-18 world championship in Finland in two weeks.

“He wants to go but his body is pretty beat up. His groin is sore, his face is sore and his knee is still sore,†Gilmour said.

“The kid’s a warrior. He will try to play through anything.â€'

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

He was incredible last year too. I couldn't understand why he was so low. The scouts seemed to take a bit longer than I expected to latch onto him. Maybe it had to do with ensuring that his play wasn't a by-product of playing with McDavid.:dunno:

His scoring increase is pretty common for star junior players from 16 to 17.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
http://www.thewhig.com/2014/04/02/its-not-a-good-feeling

'Bennett, if he is deemed healthy enough, is going to play for Canada at the under-18 world championship in Finland in two weeks.

“He wants to go but his body is pretty beat up. His groin is sore, his face is sore and his knee is still sore,” Gilmour said.

“The kid’s a warrior. He will try to play through anything.”'

I can't find anything I don't like about Sam Bennett. He just strikes me as a player who doesn't just reach his potential but exceeds it. I really like how he generates his offense from all over the ice. He can beat you one-on-one, make plays off the rush, score goals from the paint. Plays all three zones and plays with an edge.

Personally I think the sky is the limit for him. Watching him play last month made me realize how good he is, his skating was really impressive along with his hockey sense.

what's you opinion of Roland McKeown?

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

I can't find anything I don't like about Sam Bennett. He just strikes me as a player who doesn't just reach his potential but exceeds it. I really like how he generates his offense from all over the ice. He can beat you one-on-one, make plays off the rush, score goals from the paint. Plays all three zones and plays with an edge.

Personally I think the sky is the limit for him. Watching him play last month made me realize how good he is, his skating was really impressive along with his hockey sense.

Also want to know more about McKeown.

Agreed on everything about Bennett.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Your not looking hard enough then. 136 PM in 64 games is quite worrisome. (2.13 PM a game) Especially since the majority of them came from minors. That type of discipline won't cut it in the NHL.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

That's exactly how I feel. Im a Reinhart guy, he's just my kind of cerebral, does everything right, hockey player... but if the balls don't fall in our favor, I'm glad there is someone like Bennett in the draft.

I want Reinhart, but with a top 2 pick all but locked up... a guarantee of 1 of the Sam's is terrific.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
That's exactly how I feel. Im a Reinhart guy, he's just my kind of cerebral, does everything right, hockey player... but if the balls don't fall in our favor, I'm glad there is someone like Bennett in the draft.

I want Reinhart, but with a top 2 pick all but locked up... a guarantee of 1 of the Sam's is terrific.

Drafting Bennett would also allow him another year of CHL development. While Reinhart would most likely be up with the big club. I would expect him to absolutely destroy the OHL next season similar to how Drouin did this year. His offensive upside is certainly tempting to me. I believe his offensive upside is 10-15 pts+ more per season than Reinharts. But if Reinhart is paired with a sniper, I can see him putting up some insane assist numbers.

ZeroPT*

Your not looking hard enough then. 136 PM in 64 games is quite worrisome. (2.13 PM a game) Especially since the majority of them came from minors. That type of discipline won't cut it in the NHL.

a player can mature. The kid is literally 17 years old and is being targeted by all the other teams in an effort to disrupt his game, he takes a beating game in, game out.

Major junior penalty minutes is really irrelevant when evaluating a player's talent level imo. It'll come with time.

Last edited by a moderator:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
a player can mature. The kid is literally 17 years old and is being targeted by all the other teams in an effort to disrupt his game, he takes a beating game in, game out.

Major junior penalty minutes is really irrelevant when evaluating a player's talent level imo. It'll come with time.

People have been targeting Reinhart all year, they can't stop him and he rarely gets penalized. That's a mute argument. Bennett plays a much different game than Reinhart does but it's not an excuse to put up that many PM. Try to find a similar played to Bennetts numbers in junior. Brad Marchand comes to mind, any others?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Oh this again, watching him play he gets abused like I haven't seen before. It doesn't help that every forward on his team seems to be 5-6 which leaves him vulnerable to cheap shots almost every stoppage of play. He has earned a reputation with the referees and now he gets called for anything even remotely close to a penalty. No different then Stefan Legein a while back, referees know who Bennett is, they know he is a top prospect who plays with a edge and are paying close attention to him every shift.

I am not defending his amount of penalty minutes, he is a 17 year old top prospect. I am going to guess that in a couple years he will both no different then other good players when it comes to PIM's.

ZeroPT*

People have been targeting Reinhart all year, they can't stop him and he rarely gets penalized. That's a mute argument. Bennett plays a much different game than Reinhart does but it's not an excuse to put up that many PM. Try to find a similar played to Bennetts numbers in junior. Brad Marchand comes to mind, any others?

Maybe because Bennett shows more emotion than Reinhart? I'll gladly take a player who shows as much pride and emotion like Bennett. Those types of players play BIG in the playoffs.

It's much easier to calm a player down than to make a player come to life.

I'd rather have more Girgensons than Armia's.

any other "issues" with Bennett apart from penalty minutes in junior?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

One is a cerebral play-maker, the other plays like a pitbull. Anyone who plays Bennett's style is going to put up PIM's.

Scott Laughton 101 PIMs 2012

Catenacci 117PIM's final year junior, only 30 PIM's in Rochester

Ryan Strome was a bit of a hot head in juniors, 82PIMs in 2011 now has 47 PIMS in about 70 pro games.

Kadri had 105 PIMs in draft year, now 106 PIM's in 176 games.

Pietrangelo 94 pims draft year, 94 pims in 300 NHL games.

My point is that guys almost always get more disciplined once they make the jump, Bennett will be no different.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm a little worried that Bennett's size won't allow his style to translate well in the NHL. I know he'll get heavier but 6'0" 190 might be his max. He'll get pushed away or around trying to bulldoze through an NHL defense the way he does an OHL defense.

His talent will still make him a 2C at worst, but he'll have to adjust to being a smallish guy out there that can't get away with much physicality or instigation. He's taking too much wear and tear right now as it is, and the reality is that as much as fans love that 100 mile/hr style, it's not very practical for a full NHL season, especially for a smallish young player.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'm a little worried that Bennett's size won't allow his style to translate well in the NHL. I know he'll get heavier but 6'0" 190 might be his max. He'll get pushed away or around trying to bulldoze through an NHL defense the way he does an OHL defense.

His talent will still make him a 2C at worst, but he'll have to adjust to being a smallish guy out there that can't get away with much physicality or instigation. He's taking too much wear and tear right now as it is, and the reality is that as much as fans love that 100 mile/hr style, it's not very practical for a full NHL season, especially for a smallish young player.

The way he plays gets overstated. He doesn't bulldoze his way through defenses like you said, he isn't reckless. He doesn't skate a 100/miles an hour. He is a very smart hockey player who plays hard every shift and isn't afraid to back down. He isn't some dumb ass who flies around trying to go through people all night, he just competes. He is a skilled player first and foremost.

If you look around the league he is nearly the same size as all the top scorers.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Peca was 5'11 180 lbs.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
The way he plays gets overstated. He doesn't bulldoze his way through defenses like you said, he isn't reckless. He doesn't skate a 100/miles an hour. He is a very smart hockey player who plays hard every shift and isn't afraid to back down. He isn't some dumb ass who flies around trying to go through people all night, he just competes. He is a skilled player first and foremost.

If you look around the league he is nearly the same size as all the top scorers.

This post made me laugh for some reason.

I'll be happy with either Sam. I keep switching between the two, but if we don't take a Sam I'll be pretty pissed, not gonna lie.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Well maybe my semantics were off, but the point is he generates physical play, either against him or on his own. He's not going to be that big by NHL standards, so eventually that style will wear him down some, just as it has in the OHL. He could be the kind of player that's great when he's playing, and routinely miss 15-20 games a season. Not a good thing come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad