2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Well maybe my semantics were off, but the point is he generates physical play, either against him or on his own. He's not going to be that big by NHL standards, so eventually that style will wear him down some, just as it has in the OHL. He could be the kind of player that's great when he's playing, and routinely miss 15-20 games a season. Not a good thing come playoff time.

Every player is different. Kaleta is bigger than Steve Ott, Kaleta breaks all the time.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
True, but players are a touch bigger these days.

Let's not make this out like I'm against the guy...it's a point that could wind up a non-issue.

Its a concern, but impossible to predict. Tim Connolly stayed away from hitting, still got hurt. But early in his career he was never hurt. Stuff like that you just cant predict.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe because Bennett shows more emotion than Reinhart? I'll gladly take a player who shows as much pride and emotion like Bennett. Those types of players play BIG in the playoffs.

It's much easier to calm a player down than to make a player come to life.

I'd rather have more Girgensons than Armia's.

any other "issues" with Bennett apart from penalty minutes in junior?

Well, he didn't get the OT winner the other night, so I'm still kinda ticked about that. :sarcasm:

He was a bit selfish at times earlier in the year (when he realized he could score at will at times), but that was never an issue before (i.e. last year) and has improved since.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Oh this again, watching him play he gets abused like I haven't seen before. It doesn't help that every forward on his team seems to be 5-6 which leaves him vulnerable to cheap shots almost every stoppage of play. He has earned a reputation with the referees and now he gets called for anything even remotely close to a penalty. No different then Stefan Legein a while back, referees know who Bennett is, they know he is a top prospect who plays with a edge and are paying close attention to him every shift.

I am not defending his amount of penalty minutes, he is a 17 year old top prospect. I am going to guess that in a couple years he will both no different then other good players when it comes to PIM's.

I think that's pretty accurate.

Gilmour built a small team for some reason and Bennett at times has to stick up for himself. Earlier in the year he did take too many stupid penalties and I think had to pay the price in terms of being targeted by the refs later in the year and playoffs. It seemed like no matter what he did in the playoffs he was being thrown in the box.

An interesting stat would be how often he goes with the other team to the box, as it seems like a lot of the time he goes with someone else when there are light pushes both ways.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
what's you opinion of Roland McKeown?

I'm a big fan of McKeown.

He plays at least 25 minutes a game and is the top Dman for the Fronts. He had a great playoffs and was playing against Nick Ritchie for a large part of it, where overall he did really well against him. They had some real classic physical battles and McKeown got the better of him for the first 5 games or so and then seemed to wear down a bit as the playoffs went on (although that could be because Gill played only four Dmen). For most of the year he was very good, but did have a rough stretch about a month or two ago.

I really like how cerebral and calm he is. He is great positionally and really thinks the game out there. You never worry when he is on defence, which is rare at his age in the OHL. He needs to put on a bit more weight (who doesn't at 17), but I think he's going to be a real good player in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of Pysyk, with a bit more offense. I'd love for the Sabres to grab him mid-1st, but I know realistically it's unlikely. I think he's going to be a steal for someone at that position.

He was also nominated as top Dman in the entire league (along with 5 others).

And don't ask me about Watson, as it won't be as glowing, especially after his weak playoffs!

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NHL.com draft experts predict 2014 first round

The top prospects for the 2014 NHL Draft have had a full season to state their case for why they should be considered among the game's next stars.

However, all a highly talented bunch has done is muddy the field NHL teams have to wade through to make their choices.

There's size, skill and talent at every position, and no clear-cut choice for who the best player available is.

If you're looking for talented forwards, there's Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League and Samuel Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs of the Ontario Hockey League. If you're in need of a power forward, there's three outstanding choices from the OHL alone: Michael Dal Colle of the Oshawa Generals, Nicholas Ritchie of the Peterborough Petes and Brendan Perlini of the Niagara IceDogs.

If defense is what your team needs, there's Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts of the OHL, Haydn Fleury of the Red Deer Rebels of the WHL or Anthony DeAngelo of the Sarnia Sting of the OHL.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I'm a big fan of McKeown.

He plays at least 25 minutes a game and is the top Dman for the Fronts. He had a great playoffs and was playing against Nick Ritchie for a large part of it, where overall he did really well against him. They had some real classic physical battles and McKeown got the better of him for the first 5 games or so and then seemed to wear down a bit as the playoffs went on (although that could be because Gill played only four Dmen). For most of the year he was very good, but did have a rough stretch about a month or two ago.

I really like how cerebral and calm he is. He is great positionally and really thinks the game out there. You never worry when he is on defence, which is rare at his age in the OHL. He needs to put on a bit more weight (who doesn't at 17), but I think he's going to be a real good player in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of Pysyk, with a bit more offense. I'd love for the Sabres to grab him mid-1st, but I know realistically it's unlikely. I think he's going to be a steal for someone at that position.

He was also nominated as top Dman in the entire league (along with 5 others).

And don't ask me about Watson, as it won't be as glowing, especially after his weak playoffs!
You've provided good, periodic reports on McKeown all year. As I mentioned before, he's a guy I noticed last year, and his game looked very solid. I think he was the #2 Dman entering this season, but he's had some ebbs and flows. It's nice to see he's returned to form. I appreciate your continued updates on him and other juniors.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
You've provided good, periodic reports on McKeown all year. As I mentioned before, he's a guy I noticed last year, and his game looked very solid. I think he was the #2 Dman entering this season, but he's had some ebbs and flows. It's nice to see he's returned to form. I appreciate your continued updates on him and other juniors.

No problem. I'm glad it's appreciated!

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
All three mocks had the Sabres picking Sam Reinhart. And is it too much to ask for mock drafts who assume the Blues are between 26-29 (i.e., the conference finalist slots, with New Jersey locked in at 30) to make that pick for the Sabres? That's Buffalo's pick if you assume St. Louis is in the conference finals.

Looks like Kris Baker has Reinhart and Ekblad in class by themselves. His interview starts at 4:22

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/89796064/4-4-hockey-hotline-hr-2.htm

Based on Murray's recent WGR interview where he said they are looking to add bigger and "thicker" players, coupled with Nolan's endorsement of similar and how Button characterized Bennett's game as being chippy, combative and skilled, I wonder if the Sabres will choose Bennett over Reinhart. From the reports and stats, they don't seem that far apart on offensive skills though I haven't seen either play.

Ideally, if they get the Isles pick, the Sabres could nab both Sam's.

ZeroPT*

Based on Murray's recent WGR interview where he said they are looking to add bigger and "thicker" players, coupled with Nolan's endorsement of similar and how Button characterized Bennett's game as being chippy, combative and skilled, I wonder if the Sabres will choose Bennett over Reinhart. From the reports and stats, they don't seem that far apart on offensive skills though I haven't seen either play.

This is what I've been saying for a while now. I want Reinhart but I have a feeling the Sabres and Murray specifically really really like Bennett

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Murray has also said several times that they're going BPA with their first pick, regardless of position.

If it's close, maybe they go Bennett over Reinhart........but if they have Reinhart decently ahead of Bennett, they're taking Reinhart.

Not to mention that if Ekblad is their #1 and he's there, that's who they're taking.

He's said it several times -- BPA. Period.

ZeroPT*

U18 world championship team Canada training camp roster:http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/Under-18/2013-14/World-Championship/Camp-Roster

notable draft eligible players are
Haydn Fleury
Roland McKeown
Connor Bleackly
Brayden Point
Branden Perlini

Ho-sang left off, Audette also left off. Bennett,Virtanen and Watson can't attend the camp because they're banged up. Could still play in the tourney though...

EDIT: Nathan Noel,Jérémy Roy and Travis Konecny are all 2015 eligibles who are projected 1st rounders (Konecny could go top 5, Roy and Noel likely mid 1sts)

ZeroPT*

Brayden Point is someone I'd target with Winnipeg's 2nd round pick. Scoring center with good hockey sense and a great playmaker. He's a bit smaller though.Kinda feisty too.

Reminds me of Petan

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
U18 world championship team Canada training camp roster:http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/Under-18/2013-14/World-Championship/Camp-Roster

notable draft eligible players are
Haydn Fleury
Roland McKeown
Connor Bleackly
Brayden Point
Branden Perlini

Ho-sang left off, Audette also left off. Bennett,Virtanen and Watson can't attend the camp because they're banged up. Could still play in the tourney though...

EDIT: Nathan Noel,Jérémy Roy and Travis Konecny are all 2015 eligibles who are projected 1st rounders (Konecny could go top 5, Roy and Noel likely mid 1sts)

I could see Crouse moving up into the first round as well. He has made incredible strides over the past month or two. He plays in the mold of Perlini/Dal Colle/Ritchie and has a pro shot already.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I firmly believe Reinhart is the more talented hockey player. I also think Bennet is the better NHLer. In a league where talent gets muted I think Bennet's style will be more important to the team going forward, especially considering next season we probably have access to a more talented player anyway. I don't know if I'd have the balls to pass on Reinhart and Ekblad to take Bennet if I was GM though.

ZeroPT*

I could see Crouse moving up into the first round as well. He has made incredible strides over the past month or two. He plays in the mold of Perlini/Dal Colle/Ritchie and has a pro shot already.

I haven't heard too much of him but from what I've read he could be worth a gamble later on.

Nicolas Roy is another I've read good things about, 1st overall in the QMJHL draft iirc.

EDIT: I was right. He was picked 1st and then moved to Chicoutimi
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681642

Should be a good draft for the Q...Noel,Sprong, Roy x2 all project as mid 1sts

Last edited by a moderator:

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I firmly believe Reinhart is the more talented hockey player. I also think Bennet is the better NHLer. In a league where talent gets muted I think Bennet's style will be more important to the team going forward, especially considering next season we probably have access to a more talented player anyway. I don't know if I'd have the balls to pass on Reinhart and Ekblad to take Bennet if I was GM though.

I agreed with you up until you said Bennett is the better NHLer. I have much bigger concerns with how Bennett's game translates, than how Reinhart's translates. Beyond the highly transferable and much lauded "hockey IQ", Reinhart plays an incredibly mature game. He's very smart about never going full-on, balls to the wall, but always being effective. He plays the exact same way every time he's on the ice, always at a smooth 90% (or whatever percentage below 100 that you want to quantify it as). He doesn't shy away from contact, but he doesn't blow people up. He doesn't look for a fight, but he never backs down from the nasty stuff. He protects the puck masterfully, but never exposes himself to the big hit. I think this is characteristic of many championship type players.

Bennett on the other hand goes 100%, 100% of the time. That's not the full reason for his effectiveness as he has good sense, great skating and a great shot, but it does contribute quite a bit. I just don't see that as sustainable in the NHL. He can re-learn how to play, or be tamed so-to-speak, but it's not his nature, and it won't be easy. He'll be a good to great player in the NHL, but he won't bring the stability of Reinhart IMO. Reinhart's hockey IQ makes him a top pick, but it's the maturity of his game that will make him elite.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Well, Bennett isn't bigger or thicker.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He plays a more powerful game which is what I think Sabretip was trying to get to

He didn't present it like that, which is just as well as they're two different things. The main point to getting bigger is that size is important in puck possession, which isn't something Bennett is any better at than Reinhart. Reinhart is fantastic in the cycle game and uses what he has (which if anything is a bit bigger than Bennett) to effectively protect the puck. There's really no relationship between size and the chippy aspect to Bennett's game so why conflate the two? Would adding Marchand be getting bigger?

ZeroPT*

He didn't present it like that, which is just as well as they're two different things. The main point to getting bigger is that size is important in puck possession, which isn't something Bennett is any better at than Reinhart. Reinhart is fantastic in the cycle game and uses what he has (which if anything is a bit bigger than Bennett) to effectively protect the puck. There's really no relationship between size and the chippy aspect to Bennett's game so why conflate the two? Would adding Marchand be getting bigger?

Guess not. I agree with you though.

I've wanted Reinhart all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad