2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
From that interview I would guess Bennett.

He mentioned Bennett last, even after getting to Dal Colle who wasn't specifically mentioned. Said Draisaitl had the best game of any of the guys he saw, who he got to immediately after Ekblad. Sounded like that was his guy if not Ekblad. Questioned if Reinharts smarts are a going to translate or if they are a mirage because of level.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yes please! :nod:

But with the way Murray spoke of Reinhart vision, hockey sense and passing, and that Dal Colle will be a goal scorer in the NHL with a C that can get him the puck, I have a feeling we'd go Reinhart-Dal Colle at 1 and 4.

Weird how people can interpret the same thing different ways. He seemed almost critical of Reinhart I thought.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Did someone link to the interview? I didn't see a link. If not, could someone please post it? I just tried googling it, couldn't find it.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Murray did not tip his hand AT ALL as to what he's deciding. It's pretty asinine to think an NHL GM would insinuate, or lean toward a player on a radio show as to who he wants with their pick. Whether it's 1st or 30th.

Stop trying to read between the lines. It's pathetic :facepalm:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Murray did not tip his hand AT ALL as to what he's deciding. It's pretty asinine to think an NHL GM would insinuate, or lean toward a player on a radio show as to who he wants with their pick. Whether it's 1st or 30th.

Stop trying to read between the lines. It's pathetic :facepalm:
No kidding. He named Draisaitl after Ekblad more than likely because he said his most recent game he scouted was his best game he's watched of him. Fresh in his mind.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Paraphrasing Murray and to sum:
  • Ekblad: "At the end of the day, could become a franchise defenseman .. could be a solid, very solid two-way defenseman who plays a ton of minutes .. not sure he has the dynamic pace to him to be a franchise player, but he's gonna be a helluva player .. going to be a really, really good defenseman for a long time in the league .. consideration for the top pick."
  • Draisaitl: "I saw out there and he probably played the best game for me out of the five I've seen in the last game .. big strong center .. tremendous offensive zone player .. great hockey sense, great vision .. protects the puck really well, sticks his ass out, guys roll off him, he knows where they are without looking at them, he knows that .. could be 1C."
  • Reinhart: "Tremendous vision .. the smartest player on the ice every game I see him play, so idk if that says a lot based on him playing guys his own age or a little older than him .. extremely smart, does everything, for the most part, right .. tremendous vision .. passes the puck unbelievably well .. could be 1C"
  • Dal Colle: "Probably has the best release we've seen in a long time .. can really shoot the puck .. needs a center to get him the puck .. he's gonna score goals at the NHL level."
  • Bennett: "Has a lot of what the other two centers have and he's tenacious, a bulldog, he's on you, he'll hit you, he'll spear you, he'll score on you, he'll do what it takes to win."
  • Will draft BPA.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
He mentioned Bennett last, even after getting to Dal Colle who wasn't specifically mentioned. Said Draisaitl had the best game of any of the guys he saw, who he got to immediately after Ekblad. Sounded like that was his guy if not Ekblad. Questioned if Reinharts smarts are a going to translate or if they are a mirage because of level.

Way to push your agenda. This is why everything that comes out of your mouth is taken with a grain of salt.

Here is what Murray says word for word: "Draisatl I saw out there he played probably the best game of what I've seen in his last 5 games..."

And somehow you twist what he said into thinking that Murray thought he was the best out of all the forward prospects. Good lord.

Anyways, if I was to guess on who Murray favored, it would be Bennett.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
April 2014 FC Draft Rankings

CALGARY – It’s crunch time for playoff-bound prospects looking to make a final push for the 2014 NHL Draft.

And as the level of importance rises, so to does the play of both Sam Reinhart and Aaron Ekblad.

Reinhart, FC Pacific4 Sports Forward of the Month for March, is scorching up the Western Hockey League playoffs, recording five goals and 17 points in helping his Kootenay Ice to a six-game opening series win over the Calgary Hitmen.

Ekblad has been no slouch either, recording a goal in two assists in four games for the Barrie Colts. Unfortunately, the 18-year-old wasn’t in the lineup for Barrie’s Game 5 clinching win over the Sudbury Wolves after sustaining a lower body injury.

Sam Bennett, ranked third by Future Considerations, will see his Kingston Frontenacs play a seventh game against the Peterborough Petes on April 1. In the opening six games of the series, Benentt — who recorded 31 goals and 60 assists in 57 regular season games — has eight points.

William Nylander, ranked fourth, is in a playoff push of his own playing with MODO’s junior team after spending time with the big club and stints with Rögle and Södertälje. Fifth-ranked Leon Draisaitl’s WHL season came to an end when the Edmonton Oil Kings swept his Prince Albert Raiders in the first round.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Bennett smoked from behind on a breakaway into the crossbar faced first. Pretty brutal. He left the game injured and the Petes player got a 5.

Edit: He's back after stitches to the eyebrow.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He mentioned Bennett last, even after getting to Dal Colle who wasn't specifically mentioned. Said Draisaitl had the best game of any of the guys he saw[\b], who he got to immediately after Ekblad. Sounded like that was his guy if not Ekblad. Questioned if Reinharts smarts are a going to translate or if they are a mirage because of level.

Try again

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm glad others got to Stokes' mischaracterization of Murray's quote about Draisaitl. I almost went into orbit when I saw that misrepresentation.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm a Reinhart guy, but if I had to put $ down based on his characterizations, I'd say he likes Bennent best, FWIW. Not that he really tipped his hand at all, one way or the other.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Paraphrasing Murray and to sum:
  • Ekblad: "At the end of the day, could become a franchise defenseman .. could be a solid, very solid two-way defenseman who plays a ton of minutes .. not sure he has the dynamic pace to him to be a franchise player, but he's gonna be a helluva player .. going to be a really, really good defenseman for a long time in the league .. consideration for the top pick."
  • Draisaitl: "I saw out there and he probably played the best game for me out of the five I've seen in the last game .. big strong center .. tremendous offensive zone player .. great hockey sense, great vision .. protects the puck really well, sticks his ass out, guys roll off him, he knows where they are without looking at them, he knows that .. could be 1C."
  • Reinhart: "Tremendous vision .. the smartest player on the ice every game I see him play, so idk if that says a lot based on him playing guys his own age or a little older than him .. extremely smart, does everything, for the most part, right .. tremendous vision .. passes the puck unbelievably well .. could be 1C"
  • Dal Colle: "Probably has the best release we've seen in a long time .. can really shoot the puck .. needs a center to get him the puck .. he's gonna score goals at the NHL level."
  • Bennett: "Has a lot of what the other two centers have and he's tenacious, a bulldog, he's on you, he'll hit you, he'll spear you, he'll score on you, he'll do what it takes to win."
  • Will draft BPA.

After listening to that interview, I'd guess that he would rank the top-5 like so:

1- Bennett
2- Reinhart
3- Ekblad
4- Dal Colle
5- Draisaitl

Just my speculation.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I don't think he came across as favoring anyone. He seemed to be trying to not use the same or similar words and phrases when talking about each player. Every time I hear him interviewed I like him more and more. Looking forwad to the off season, Mr Murray will be busy.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I like Bennett a lot but does anyone else see him as a perennial injury risk? That was a scary one tonight. They say he'd "do anything to win" when talking about him - would he put his body at risk too frequently?

On the other hand, is this even something people consider at all when evaluating prospects?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Bennett smoked from behind on a breakaway into the crossbar faced first. Pretty brutal. He left the game injured and the Petes player got a 5.

Edit: He's back after stitches to the eyebrow.

He is playing unreal tonight, I really hope Sabres are well represented. He is going to be big time.

Kids hockey sense is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Bps21*

He sounded glowing on Bennett...but from what he's said before about what he looks for most in a player still leads me to think he prefers Reinhart. All he had to say about him was about intelligence...and he had said previously many times that hockey sense is the most important thing to him. Saying Reinhart has been the smartest person on the ice in the games he's watched him in says something to me. If he's preparing to have the isles Pick like he ha claimed in the past...I think this is a dude who dreams about walking away with Reinhart and dal colle.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
After listening to that interview, I'd guess that he would rank the top-5 like so:

1- Bennett
2- Reinhart
3- Ekblad
4- Dal Colle
5- Draisaitl

Just my speculation.

The good news... Is that we are getting 2 of them

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

1- Bennett
2- Reinhart
3- Ekblad
4- Dal Colle
5- Draisaitl

Just my speculation.
Eh I think Dal Colle would certainly be last of the bunch. Generally when someone says "He's going to need a guy to get him the puck" it's not the type of player you're looking at with the #1 pick and not with this teams centers. Unless of course he's saying that Reinhart, Bennett or Draisaitl will be getting him the puck after the Islanders give us the pick. ;)

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The good news... Is that we are getting 2 of them

This is assuming that Garth Snow actually does give the pick this year. I'm not so sure you can count on Garth Snow to do anything you might expect a normal person to do. :laugh:

Bps21*

This is assuming that Garth Snow actually does give the pick this year. I'm not so sure you can count on Garth Snow to do anything you might expect a normal person to do. :laugh:

This a man who somehow ended up with no Moulson, no Vanek, and no first rounder. He will somehow end up giving the sabres both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad