Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster building thread - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
I dunno. You don't fire the GM unless you think he constructed a subpar roster. Changes are coming. And Neal seems like a likely candidate to address our issues.

If you could swap him for Kane or in a package for 2 less established guys, what would you choose?

It would depend on the guys. If those 2 guys were, say, Smith-Pelly and Etem I would take the deal and run. If it were Yakupov and another prospect, probably not. But even then it would depend on what I could get from another trade. Like a Letang or Sutter deal or something.

That being said, I like Kane, and I have no problems with getting him in return. Add him to the list of JVR and Pacioretty as players I would like to trade him for, and would consider a 1 for 1 on.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
My take. We need to get bigger and tougher to play against. We need a net front presence.

Trade for Stewart.
Sign Kulemin.
Sign Winchester.
Sign Greene.
Dump Scuderi.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.300m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Jesse Winchester ($0.900m) / Joe Vitale ($0.800m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Matt Greene ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.951m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,400,458; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $699,542

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
My take. We need to get bigger and tougher to play against. We need a net front presence.

Trade for Stewart.
Sign Kulemin.
Sign Winchester.
Sign Greene.
Dump Scuderi.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.300m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Jesse Winchester ($0.900m) / Joe Vitale ($0.800m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Matt Greene ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.951m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,400,458; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $699,542

I like the offence, though I think Gibbons instead of Megna, and megna as the 13th. As far as the D, Trade Letang, sign Niskanen, and do this.

Maatta (0.894)- Niskanen (5-5.5M)
Martin (5M) - Camp Winner
Despres (0.951) - Bortuzzo (0.600)
Dumoulin (0.832) - Engellend (0.750)

Leaves some free cap in case of emergencies/trade opportunities, and lets young guys get a chance. One of the problems with Shero was the signing of veteran D men, instead of letting the young talent get a shot. Please, JR, no 30+ year old defensemen.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like the offence, though I think Gibbons instead of Megna, and megna as the 13th. As far as the D, Trade Letang, sign Niskanen, and do this.

Maatta (0.894)- Niskanen (5-5.5M)
Martin (5M) - Camp Winner
Despres (0.951) - Bortuzzo (0.600)
Dumoulin (0.832) - Engellend (0.750)

Leaves some free cap in case of emergencies/trade opportunities, and lets young guys get a chance. One of the problems with Shero was the signing of veteran D men, instead of letting the young talent get a shot. Please, JR, no 30+ year old defensemen.

I just don't see that defense holding up in the playoffs. Niskanen especially, guy had 1 good year offensively (in his contract year no less) but still got pushed around in the playoffs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I dunno. You don't fire the GM unless you think he constructed a subpar roster. Changes are coming. And Neal seems like a likely candidate to address our issues.

If you could swap him for Kane or in a package for 2 less established guys, what would you choose?

I'm going with Kane all day long. I've seen a lot of hockey in my life, but few guys have scared me like Kane. I touched on this before, but the guy is so fast and intimidating, that I cringe even when he hits guys I don't like. I literally worry that he is going to paralyze guys with the force he comes with.

I don't care about the perceived attitude and the "Natural" stuff. Ya, when he is on a crap line he will get tunnel vision and shoot pucks from bad angles. It's a small matter.

He completely changes the dynamic of this team. No one would ever question if he takes a shift off, because he never does. This BS that he can't pass is silly because when he played with Wheeler and Scheifele before his hand injury, that line was magic and he was working the puck with them beautifully.

If he isn't scoring in a playoff series he will be hustling every shift, putting guys through the boards, crash the net and looking for rebounds, he will run the goalie and make his life living hell all series, and he will egg anyone's skull if they touch Crosby. He's a way different animal than Neal.

This team wants speed, skill and toughness? That's exactly what Kane is.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
I just don't see that defense holding up in the playoffs. Niskanen especially, guy had 1 good year offensively (in his contract year no less) but still got pushed around in the playoffs.

I don't think it was THAT bad. Besides, we didn't get bounced because of our D, or MAF for that matter. We got bounced because our offense went to ****.

The issue with keeping Letang and letting go of Niskanen is, who partners with Maatta? Letang would likely take top pairing with Martin. That leaves Maatta with someone that has even less experience than Maatta has. If we trade Letang, we:
a: get a big return
b: Niskanen has proven to be a good partner for Maatta, allowing Martin to work with another young D man like Pouliot or Harrington or Dumoulin. Martin would help to offset the inexperience of whoever wins the #4 spot. So yes, the first pairing is a little less, but the top 4 is better off. Because I'm fairly certain Maatta and any of the young guys would, at this point in their careers, be too much of a defensive liability in the playoffs. More so than would be caused by the presence of Niskanen.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
I'm going with Kane all day long. I've seen a lot of hockey in my life, but few guys have scared me like Kane. I touched on this before, but the guy is so fast and intimidating, that I cringe even when he hits guys I don't like. I literally worry that he is going to paralyze guys with the force he comes with.

I don't care about the perceived attitude and the "Natural" stuff. Ya, when he is on a crap line he will get tunnel vision and shoot pucks from bad angles. It's a small matter.

He completely changes the dynamic of this team. No one would ever question if he takes a shift off, because he never does. This BS that he can't pass is silly because when he played with Wheeler and Scheifele before his hand injury, that line was magic and he was working the puck with them beautifully.

If he isn't scoring in a playoff series he will be hustling every shift, putting guys through the boards, crash the net and looking for rebounds, he will run the goalie and make his life living hell all series, and he will egg anyone's skull if they touch Crosby. He's a way different animal than Neal.

Hard to argue with that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Yeah he really does seem like the perfect fit.

Kane, Kulemin and Winchester. Your dream offseason?

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think it was THAT bad. Besides, we didn't get bounced because of our D, or MAF for that matter. We got bounced because our offense went to ****.

The issue with keeping Letang and letting go of Niskanen is, who partners with Maatta? Letang would likely take top pairing with Martin. That leaves Maatta with someone that has even less experience than Maatta has. If we trade Letang, we:
a: get a big return
b: Niskanen has proven to be a good partner for Maatta, allowing Martin to work with another young D man like Pouliot or Harrington or Dumoulin. Martin would help to offset the inexperience of whoever wins the #4 spot. So yes, the first pairing is a little less, but the top 4 is better off. Because I'm fairly certain Maatta and any of the young guys would, at this point in their careers, be too much of a defensive liability in the playoffs. More so than would be caused by the presence of Niskanen.

His value is at an all time low. Why trade him now?

Compare their skillsets and careers thus far. What Letang he can bring us is head and shoulders above what Niskanen can do. Niskanen is a one-dimensional dman who put up good stats in 1 contract year. Letang is an all around dman who can defend top pairings, put up points, and move the puck like few can.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska

Compare their skillsets and careers thus far. What Letang he can bring us is head and shoulders above what Niskanen can do. Niskanen is a one-dimensional dman who put up good stats in 1 contract year. Letang is an all around dman who can defend top pairings, put up points, and move the puck like few can.

Yes, Letang is better, I'm not arguing that point. This isn't about which player is better. Its about pairings, and who fits with whom. If it were only about player ability, then Letang is your man. But I personally think that, as far as pairings go, we would have better top to bottom D with Niskanen. Also, this is simply my opinion, it's free, and you get what you pay for.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

That's what it all comes down to for me. Is his value in the realm world twice what it is around HFBoards? Yeah, but there are teams that are going to balk at the 'history' and want to see him play at least a year or two without any ill-effects or anything further before diving into a contract of that scope. There isn't going to be a bidding war for Letang, and if you're considering trading a franchise defenseman there damn well better be a bidding war.

Maybe someone is out there that would pay full value for Letang, but I doubt it. We'd be selling a ridiculously valuable asset at it's lowest value.

If Letang had been healthy this year and had another season where he finished 6th or so in Norris voting I'd be all for trading him for the bounty he'd return, but his value isn't that of a player of his skills.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

He will also carry a 7.25mil cap hit and a NTC that kicks in-in less than a month.

Yes, Letang is better, I'm not arguing that point. This isn't about which player is better. Its about pairings, and who fits with whom. If it were only about player ability, then Letang is your man. But I personally think that, as far as pairings go, we would have better top to bottom D with Niskanen. Also, this is simply my opinion, it's free, and you get what you pay for.

I don't argue this. He needs Martin to look good. Problem with that is it leaves the 2nd and 3rd pairing light if we don't resign Nisky.

Letang-Martin
Maatta-Scuderi
Despres-Bortuzzo

is what I'm betting on next season with Dumoulin taking Maatta's spot until he's ready.

Wonder what JR's opinion of Despres is...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I've seen the salary/contract chart numerous times, and for some reason it really jumped out at me this time:

We have numerous bad contracts
that we need to dump, and I think that is really more important than who we sign. When you add together all the questionable to outright bad (Scuderi) contracts at both forwards/D - we really could have a lot of wiggle room to add some nice pieces of our priority was moving and trading some of those contracts.

We have 2 bad contracts - Scuderi and Dupuis. Scuderi because it's 3 more years in a position we could fill with rookie/depth D. Dupuis because we can't afford to spend 3.75m on a 3rd line winger. Adams, while he's a ****** player, his contract is fine (700k 1 yr).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Grit? Who needs grit? Pittsburgh are the new Detroit Red Wings. Soft undersized speedy forwards that aren't fit for the fourth line? Hell to the yes!

Crosby under constant abuse? Who cares?! I am sure that he won't let his emotions get to him! Taking runs at our star players? Go right ahead! Throw a punch or even two.

And having 'grit' (or anything else for that matter) on the 4th line won't change any of that.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
And having 'grit' (or anything else for that matter) on the 4th line won't change any of that.

It did for Ottawa. Boyle hasn't even looked in Karlsson's direction in two years, let alone punched him in the face.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Maybe I am the only one, but I do not think that this team was that badly constructed. Yeah, you can quibble here and there, but overall I think that is blown way out of proportion to reality.

The team was extremely badly coached.

We saw proof of that in games three and four of the ranger series. How this team could play if they chose to.

To me this team is like buying a ferrari and then taking it off road and wondering why such an expensive big reputation car is performing so poorly on the dirt roads and such you wanted to take it to mudder off roading.

john-at-down-south-22.jpg

Make some changes, sure, but primarily put the players that are the core of this team into the best position to most take advantage of what God gave them. Something that we have not seen in years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's bananas that more people are up in arms about trading a "40 goal REGULAR season scorer" that has been a playoff flop four years running, but many of these same posters (from what I've read) would rather trade Letang who is a proven winner that HAS stepped up in the playoffs.

It's like bizarro world.

People are willing to trade Letang, because we have someone who can bring a lot of what he does for ~2/3rds of the price in Niskanen, thus saving us ~2.5m in cap space, and adding a couple of assets in the process. Then in addition to Niskanen, we have a **** load of D prospects.

Neal on the other hand, while we could get a solid return for him, we don't have any F depth, or anyone in the system who could potentially replace him.

Edit, what's funny though is while you keep quoting me, I'm in favor of trading him - IF it's the right deal, and not just for the sake of making a change.

Last edited:

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
Created a new roster that has some big moves.

First I trade Scuderi and Dupuis away, hopefully there's takers even for peanuts. Dump Adams.

I actually then traded Martin and resigned Niskanen. Martin is much older and only has a year left. Niskanen provides more long term value but has less short term trade value. Somewhere in one of these trades I wanted to pick up Drew Miller from Detroit. He's cheaper, not super old and plays a good third line role.

I signed Callahan and Moulson. I think if you give both of them good terms you can lower the salary cap to reasonable levels. I signed Hainsey from Carolina. He's a veteran that can be a stop gap that Rutherford would be familiar with. And I had room leftover for both Goc and Sutter and then some.

Moulson (4.5) Crosby Callahan (5.85)
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Miller (1.3) Sutter (3.5) Bennett
Sill Goc (2) Megna (.9)
Payerl

Letang Despres
Niskanen (5) Maata
Bortuzzo Hainsey (2)
Samuelson

Sid finally has top line wingers, Malkin gets his line back together. Third line adds a little grit, fourth line has some capable players. Each defensive pairing has a veteran but mostly stays young and gives the younger guys a chance to play.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
I'd shop Despres, Dumoulin, maybe even Harrington (I like him) and Bortuzzo (helps us next season so I'm more reluctant to trade him), for some young forward(s). Wouldn't trade all of them obviously.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It did for Ottawa. Boyle hasn't even looked in Karlsson's direction in two years, let alone punched him in the face.

and it has really helped them become a better team, and has helped Karlsson avoid serious injuries.

FYI, Jayson Megna isn't small. He's Ruutu's size basically. Bigger than Talbot, a few lbs shy of Cooke, but taller.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
It's bananas that more people are up in arms about trading a "40 goal REGULAR season scorer" that has been a playoff flop four years running, but many of these same posters (from what I've read) would rather trade Letang who is a proven winner that HAS stepped up in the playoffs.

It's like bizarro world.

im not a fan of trading either guy

but the reason letang's name is brought up more is because of our D men prospects filling in

at forward, not much there

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Created a new roster that has some big moves.

First I trade Scuderi and Dupuis away, hopefully there's takers even for peanuts. Dump Adams.

I actually then traded Martin and resigned Niskanen. Martin is much older and only has a year left. Niskanen provides more long term value but has less short term trade value. Somewhere in one of these trades I wanted to pick up Drew Miller from Detroit. He's cheaper, not super old and plays a good third line role.

I signed Callahan and Moulson. I think if you give both of them good terms you can lower the salary cap to reasonable levels. I signed Hainsey from Carolina. He's a veteran that can be a stop gap that Rutherford would be familiar with. And I had room leftover for both Goc and Sutter and then some.

Moulson (4.5) Crosby Callahan (5.85)
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Miller (1.3) Sutter (3.5) Bennett
Sill Goc (2) Megna (.9)
Payerl

Letang Despres
Niskanen (5) Maata
Bortuzzo Hainsey (2)
Samuelson

Sid finally has top line wingers, Malkin gets his line back together. Third line adds a little grit, fourth line has some capable players. Each defensive pairing has a veteran but mostly stays young and gives the younger guys a chance to play.

Eh, still think Letang is the trade here, and I think we can do better at forward. How bout trading for Stewart, signing Kulemin, and trading Neal for Kane/Pacioretty/JVR.

Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
K/P/VR - Malkin - Kulemin
Miller - Sutter - Bennett
Sill - Goc - Megna/Gibbons

Grit is improved in the top six, and I think we even improve depth scoring. (Though I admit I don't know much about Miller.)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Maybe I am the only one, but I do not think that this team was that badly constructed. Yeah, you can quibble here and there, but overall I think that is blown way out of proportion to reality.

The team was extremely badly coached.

We saw proof of that in games three and four of the ranger series. How this team could play if they chose to.

To me this team is like buying a ferrari and then taking it off road and wondering why such an expensive big reputation car is performing so poorly on the dirt roads and such you wanted to take it to mudder off roading.

john-at-down-south-22.jpg

Make some changes, sure, but primarily put the players that are the core of this team into the best position to most take advantage of what God gave them. Something that we have not seen in years.

Hole on Sid's RW. Missing at least one bottom six player. Don't have the size and speed to match the best. And we certinly dont have the character when the going gets tough.

This is a team that doesn't want to and can't do what it takes to win playoff games.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
there's nothing wrong with having a speedy skilled 4th line
Yes there is.
I used to be so much better at this, but hear me out. What about our 1st for Jordan Staal and Carolina pays 25% of his deal.
He wants to be with his brothers (one or the other) whether they are winning or not. Cant make him come here. He has some kind of NMC right?
Sign Green
Most LA fans don't want him, I would rather not.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
and it has really helped them become a better team, and has helped Karlsson avoid serious injuries.

FYI, Jayson Megna isn't small. He's Ruutu's size basically. Bigger than Talbot, a few lbs shy of Cooke, but taller.

Yeah, I like the idea of Megna on the 4th line. I would like to see

Megna-Vitale-PL3

but I doubt that would happen. Gibby the 13th forward who comes straight in if there are injures (anything like last season he will get lots of time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad