2014-15 IIHF World Junior Championship Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

Why are the USA and Canada in the same group? how is that determined?

The finalists can never be in the same group. I don't know how the rest works but that's all I know.
When USA beat Canada in Saskatoon, they were in opposing groups the next year.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Why are the USA and Canada in the same group? how is that determined?

Groups get determined by place previous year.

Group one consists of 1st and 4th and group two consists of 2nd and 3rd place. I can't remember the rest.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I can't remember the last time a team got blown out while looking legit doing so. The Swiss are good. They had a lot of good chances, outshot Russia, and had some good possession. Shestyorkin was just standing on his head

They need to develop a good goalie prospect, or just have a reincarnation of Benjamin Conz, and then obviously they would have a much better shot at medaling. Descloux was pretty bad

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
2014 World Junior Championships Final Standings - (Gold) 1st-Finland. (Silver) 2nd-Sweden. (Bronze) 3rd-Russia.
4th-Canada. 5th-United States. 6th-Czech Republic. 7th-Switzerland. 8th-Slovakia. 9th-Germany. 10th-Norway.

2015 World Junior Championships Groups - Group A - 1st-Finland - 4th-Canada - 5th-United States - 8th-Slovakia - 9th-Germany.
Group B - 2nd-Sweden - 3rd-Russia - 6th-Czech Republic - 7th Switzerland - 10th-Denmark.

Group A - 1st-4th-5th-8th-9th place finishers from the previous year. Group B - 2nd-3rd-6th-7th place finishers from the previous year.
Note - I think the host country is automatically placed in Group A. So those placements could switch groups.
Group A could consisted of the 2nd-3rd place etc finishers from the previous year. Group B could consisted of the 1st-4th place etc finishers from the previous year.

The 10th place finisher comes from a play-in tournament (Division I-A) which Denmark won in 2014.
The 10th place finisher from 2014 - Norway - was regulated and this year had to play in that same play-in tournament.
This years play-in tournament was won by Belarus and they will be the 10th seed for the 2016 World Junior Championships to be played in Helsinki, Finland.

The 9th place finisher is determined in a best-two-of three-series to be played between the two countries who don't make the Quarterfinals. Its played while the top eight countries play their medal round. (Germany defeated Norway last year in Sweden and thus finished in 9th place and was eligible to compete in this years tourney in Canada. Norway was regulated to the Division I-A Tourney.)

United States and Canada always seemed to finish to where they would be in the same group the next year and thus play each other in group play.
It got to a point where people thought the IIHF just scheduled United States-Canada for group play because they were rivials.
Things got different when Buffalo hosted the tourney in 2011 - they didn't play each other because United States defeated Canada in the 2010 Gold Medal Game.
Things got back to normal for 2012 because Canada finished 2nd (lost to Russia-Gold) and United States finished 3rd (defeated Sweden-Bronze) in Buffalo.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - United States Rolls Past Germany 6-0 - Halverson Gains Shutout - Larkin Tallies Three Points - Sunday, December 28 - USAHockey.com

Montreal, Quebec - Brandon Halverson (Traverse City, Michigan/Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) stopped all 14 shots he faced and Dylan Larkin (Waterford, Michigan/University of Michigan) notched a pair of goals/one assist - to lead the United States to a 6-0 victory over Germany in its second game of the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championships.

First Period - 4:44 - Auston Matthews (Scottsdale, Arizona/United States National Under-18 Team) gave the United States the 1-0 lead on a wraparound. 12:30 - Then seconds after a United States power-play expired - Hudson Fasching (Apple Valley, Wisconsin/University of Minnesota) poked in his own rebound to make it 2-0.

Second Period - 2:48 - With the teams playing four-aside - Sonny Milano (Massapequa, New York/Plymouth Whalers) and Will Butcher (Sun Prairie, Wisconsin/University of Denver) created a two-on-one rush, and Milano put one into the top corner of the net, blocker side for a 3-0 advantage. 15:04 - Larkin skated hard to the net and scored on the backhand to give the United States a 4-0 lead after 40 minutes.

Third Period - 14:09 - Jack Eichel (North Chelmsford, Massachusetts/Boston University) rushed down the slot, skated all the way around the net and tucked the puck in the near corner for the fifth United States goal. 19:40 - Larkin finished the scoring when he put one in from the side of the net.

Rest Of The Game Recap - Includes Video Highlights/Game Photos - http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/460877?referrer_id=752796

Game Summary/Boxscore - United States 6 Germany 0 - Sunday, December 28 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A10_74_2_0.pdf

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - United States Dominates Germany - Larkin Three Points For United States - Sharipov Shines In Net For Germany -
Sunday, December 28 - WorldJuniors2015.com

Montreal, Quebec - North America hasn't been nice to Germany at this tournament. After opening with a 4-0 loss to host Canada, the Germans fell 6-0 to the United States on Sunday night. Dylan Larkin led the way with two goals and an assist. Hudson Fasching added a goal and an assist while Auston Matthews, Sonny Milano, and Jack Eichel also scored for the Americans. The Germans are still looking for their first goal of these World Junior Championships.

In a goaltending battle between World Junior Championship newcomers, the United States Brandon Halverson got the better of Germanys Ilja Sharipov. That wasn't surprising, as the Americans outshot the Germans 53-14. Sharipov stood on his head and got a standing ovation as his team's Player Of The Game.
(LaxSabre - Dylan Larkin earned Player Of The Game honors for the United States.)

United States made it 2-0 - 12:30-first period - just after a German penalty had expired, Hudson Fasching backhanded in a rebound at the top of the crease.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/usa-ger/
LaxSabre - Includes a picture of Hudson Fasching celebrating with his teammates after scoring the second goal for the United States.

Game Summary/Boxscore - United States 6 Germany 0 - Sunday, December 28 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A10_74_2_0.pdf

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Day - Monday, December 29 - United States vs Slovakia - 4:00 pm ET - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec.
http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_article/show/460978?referrer_id=701370

TV/Online - (United States) - NHL Network - NHL.com - (Canada) - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

The United States is coming off a 6-0 win over Germany last night, highlighted by two goals and an assist from Dylan Larkin and fourteen saves by Brandon Halverson.
Thatcher Demko will return to the net for the United States today after making twenty-eight saves in a 2-1 shootout win over Finland last Friday, December 26.

United States Line Chart vs Slovakia - http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/7699/LineChartvsSlovakia_12_28_2015.pdf

Game Notes - United States vs Slovakia - http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/7698/GameNotesvsSlovakia.Dec29.2014.pdf

Rest of The World Junior Championships Schedule - Monday, December 29

1:00 pm ET - Czech Republic vs Denmark - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario -
TV/Online - (United States) NHL Network. (Canada) - TSN1-TSN3-TSN4-TSN5 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

5:00 pm ET - Sweden vs Russia - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario -
TV/Online - (United States) NHL Network - Tape Delay - 7:00 pm ET-8:00 pm ET -
(Coverage may start early - when coverage of the United States-Slovakia game ends - 6:45 pm ET?). (Canada) - LIVE - TSN2 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.

8:00 pm ET - Canada vs Finland - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec -
(United States) - NHL Network. (Canada) - TSN1-TSN4 - TSN.ca - TSN GO. (Pre-Game Coverage begins at 7:30 pm ET - TSN1-TSN4 - TSN.ca - TSN GO.)

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It was pretty cool that our two prospects playing for team USA were the between periods interviews. Compher after the 1st period and Fasching after the 2nd. Also nice to hear all the love our prospect pool got at various points during the game as well.

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014
I can't remember the last time a team got blown out while looking legit doing so. The Swiss are good. They had a lot of good chances, outshot Russia, and had some good possession. Shestyorkin was just standing on his head

They need to develop a good goalie prospect, or just have a reincarnation of Benjamin Conz, and then obviously they would have a much better shot at medaling. Descloux was pretty bad

Thoughts on Meier? I only caught their first game, but he stood out to me. Also definitely glad Fiala is in the system for my second favorite team :D

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The parity of last year's draft between the top of the draft and some guys taken in the teens and twenties is just incredible. Some guys have taken huge leaps in development.

Ehlers has basically thrown his team on his back this tournament, Pastrnak is basically doing the same today. Don't always need to be at the top of the draft, just need to have a good scouting staff.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Thoughts on Meier? I only caught their first game, but he stood out to me. Also definitely glad Fiala is in the system for my second favorite team :D

I love him. What a tenacious player. He's basically the perfect 3rd line winger. Good size, works hard, hit everything that moves and has offensive upside. I think he'll go higher than people might expect in the draft. Lots to love about him.

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014
I love him. What a tenacious player. He's basically the perfect 3rd line winger. Good size, works hard, hit everything that moves and has offensive upside. I think he'll go higher than people might expect in the draft. Lots to love about him.

Yeah, looked up a mock draft that had him in the fourth round. I'd be down with taking him in the second XD We'll see where he goes, but hoping Buffalo goes for him. He seems like a player Murray would be into.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yeah, looked up a mock draft that had him in the fourth round. I'd be down with taking him in the second XD We'll see where he goes, but hoping Buffalo goes for him. He seems like a player Murray would be into.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he gets taken in the 2nd round. Maybe even late in the 1st if some team really fall in love with him but that's stretching it a little.

ZeroPT*

My favorite part of Fasching is when someone tries to hit him in the corner and they just bounce off him

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
US look pretty lethargic out there today. And boy did Slovakia really lay down for Canada the other night.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
US look pretty lethargic out there today. And boy did Slovakia really lay down for Canada the other night.
Maybe Slovakia was really trying but Canada just dominated in puck possession so incredibly bad that it looked like Slovakia gave up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad