2014-15 IIHF World Junior Championship Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
He has three points tonight, but it has been relatively quiet. HIs presence certainly wasn't as noticeable as Eichel who seemed to pop every shift.
To be fair, I only saw the 2nd and 3rd. So I should have said, I didn't notice him much in those two periods.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@THNKenCampbell: Just watching highlights of Canada-Germany game and noticed Connor McDavid punched glass after his goal. Was that really a wise thing to do?

Crazy youts

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
@THNKenCampbell: Just watching highlights of Canada-Germany game and noticed Connor McDavid punched glass after his goal. Was that really a wise thing to do?

Crazy youts

Campbell is such a flaming *******

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Reinhart has great vision but I think he's too deferential. I want to see some more "I got this" from him as the tourney progresses. And I don't mean in a selfish way, but in a Girgs-esque "I'm going to make something awesome happen" kind of way.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Reinhart has great vision but I think he's too deferential. I want to see some more "I got this" from him as the tourney progresses. And I don't mean in a selfish way, but in a Girgs-esque "I'm going to make something awesome happen" kind of way.
We'll probably see this as his usage increases in more meaningful games.

...I hope.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
We'll probably see this as his usage increases in more meaningful games.

...I hope.

Idk. He is starting to remind me of Thornton to some degree. He relies so heavily on making the smart heady pass, that I wonder if he might pigeon hole himself offensively, particularly at the next level.

Trust me if he has a Thornton career we should all be thrilled but it does seem to limit his options.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - McDavid Comes Alive As Canada Tops Germany At WJC - Canadian Press - TSN.ca - Saturday, December 27.

Montreal, Quebec - Of course, everyone knew that Connor McDavid's so-called scoring "drought" wasn't going to last. The player tabbed by many to go first overall in the NHL draft in June broke out with a goal and two assists as Canada downed a surprisingly stubborn Germany 4-0 on Saturday at the World Junior Championships. The 17-year-old McDavid had been held without a point in Canada's tournament-opening 8-0 drubbing of Slovakia the night before, but any talk of a slump was put to rest when he scored on a power play only 4:11 into the game.

His linemate, Ottawa Senators winger Curtis Lazar, also got his first goal of the tournament. Max Domi and Madison Bowey also scored, while centre Nic Petan picked up three assists to take over the tournament scoring lead with six points in two games. Canada went 3 for 4 on the power play. Eric Comrie made 17 saves, while Canada had 31 shots on Kevin Reich. Canada has yet to concede a goal, as Zach Fucale got the shutout against Slovakia.

Some cringed when McDavid banged his hand on the glass during his goal celebration. Lazar said he may have been sending a message that his hand is fine, but McDavid said he was "just kind of in the moment. It's fun to celebrate with the fans. There were some fans there, so."

Rest Of The Game Recap - Game Highlights - http://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-comes-alive-as-canada-tops-germany-at-wjhc-1.169063

Game Blog - Canada vs Germany As It Happened - TSN.ca Staff - TSN.ca - http://www.tsn.ca/canada-vs-germany-as-it-happened-1.168957

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Canada Shuts Down Germany - McDavid/Petan Excel On Power-Play - Lucas Akyroyd - WorldJuniors2015.com - Saturday, December 27.

Against Germany, McDavid, the projected #1 overall pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, looked more like the force he’s been expected to be in his second World Juniors. The 17-year-old centre racked up 51 points in just 18 games with the OHL’s Erie Otters before breaking his right hand in a November fight.

McDavid opened the scoring and set up Curtis Lazar’s 2-0 goal, both on first-period power plays, and then added another helper on Madison Bowey's third-period PP marker. Nic Petan helped out on all those goals as well, and currently leads the tournament with six points overall. Max Domi potted Canada's other goal. Canada has won two straight games with a goal differential of 12-0. Canadian goalie Eric Comrie, who earned a shutout in his World Junior debut, got the better of his German counterpart Kevin Reich. The Canadians outshot the Germans 31-17.

Domi and Sam Reinhart worked a stunning give-and-go to make it 3-0 at 9:14. Domi went behind the net and sent the puck back to Reinhart, whose backhand pass then found Domi open at the far side of the net, ready to convert.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/ger-can/

Boxscore - Canada 4 Germany 0 - Saturday, December 27 - Stats.IIHF.com - http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417A08_74_3_0.pdf

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP RECAP: DEC. 27
Reinhart adds another assist; Olofsson a strong net-front presence

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Another game, another highlight-reel assist for Buffalo Sabres prospect Sam Reinhart. The organization's first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft had one helper Saturday as Canada blanked Germany 4-0 the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship in Montreal.

Earlier in the day, Victor Olofsson (2014, seventh round) logged a plus-1 rating as Sweden earned their second-straight regulation victory of the tournament with a 5-1 win over Denmark in Toronto.

ZeroPT*

Third Canada goal vs. Germany. Samson with an unreal no look backhand dish across the crease, hit Domi right on the tape. Domi hadn't even got to the spot yet before Sam let it go. Ridiculous. So stoked for him. :handclap:
Just saw it on the highlights. My god that was good

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Day #2 - Sunday, December 28 - United States vs Germany - Bell Centre - Montreal, Quebec - 8:00 pm ET.

TV-Online-Mobile Coverage - LIVE on NHL Network (United States) TSN2 (Canada) - NHL.com (United States) - TSN.ca-TSNGO (Canada).

The United States National Junior Team will face Germany tonight in Montreal at Bell Centre in its second preliminary game of the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championships.
Opening faceoff is set for 8:05 pm ET and the game can been seen LIVE in the United States on NHL Network and will be streamed LIVE at NHL.com.
The United States is coming off a thrilling 2-1 shootout victory over defending champion Finland to open Group A play on Friday afternoon.
Germany played its first game of the tournament yesterday and dropped a 4-0 decision to host Canada.

Game Day Page - United States vs Germany - Sunday, December 28 - USAHockey.com - http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/news_article/show/460823?referrer_id=

United States Line Chart vs Germany - Sunday, December 28 - USAHockey.com - http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/7322/LineChartvsGermany_12_28_2015.pdf

Games Notes - United States vs Germany - Sunday, December 28 - USAHockey.com - http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0067/7321/GameNotes.vsGermany.Dec28.2014.pdf

Rest Of World Juniors Schedule - Sunday, December 28 - Switzerland vs Russia - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Ontario - 5:00 pm ET.
TV-Online-Mobile Coverage - LIVE on NHL Network (United States) - TSN3 - TSN.ca - TSNGO (Canada).

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Based on what? With his two assists against Slovakia he didn't pass up a scoring chance for himself. One was an amazing play where he kicked up from his skates to his stick and passed from his backhand with a dman all over him. He was hardly in position to get off a great shot and made the smart play. The second assist was juts a smart read of the situation then a long pass from his zone to Domi. Who made a great play and shot to score. But in neither case did Reinhart "defer" to anyone.

I think the difference with him is his shooting is not near the level of his passing. At the end of the first period against Slovoakia he had a dominant shift to close the period out. He keep picking off breakout passes and pretty much single handedly kept the puck in the Slovak end. During that sequence he got two shots on goal. One of which would have been highlight reel goal had he buried it. He picked off the puck near the top of the face off circle, took the puck to the net and tried to pick the top corner. He missed high. He scores and we are talking about his dominant all around performance.

He is just such an incredibly smart player that he can set up goals on a level he can't match with his shooting.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Based on what? With his two assists against Slovakia he didn't pass up a scoring chance for himself. One was an amazing play where he kicked up from his skates to his stick and passed from his backhand with a dman all over him. He was hardly in position to get off a great shot and made the smart play. The second assist was juts a smart read of the situation then a long pass from his zone to Domi. Who made a great play and shot to score. But in neither case did Reinhart "defer" to anyone.

I think the difference with him is his shooting is not near the level of his passing. At the end of the first period against Slovoakia he had a dominant shift to close the period out. He keep picking off breakout passes and pretty much single handedly kept the puck in the Slovak end. During that sequence he got two shots on goal. One of which would have been highlight reel goal had he buried it. He picked off the puck near the top of the face off circle, took the puck to the net and tried to pick the top corner. He missed high. He scores and we are talking about his dominant all around performance.

He is just such an incredibly smart player that he can set up goals on a level he can't match with his shooting.

I'm not referring to his assists. I think he passes on opportunities where he can make something happen for himself. I'm not knocking the player. I'm pointing out something I'd like to see going forward.

I see a lot of RNH in Reinhart. That's not a bad thing, BTW.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton

I don't think he was directly referencing the 2 assists. Just in Reinharts overall game, not talking just WJC either. Just that it'd be nice if he took more of a demanding presence/hop on my shoulders and I'll get it done. Which was what I got out of Murrays comments from sending him down.

He knows he can get the 2 assists a game at this level, he wants him to become more assertive on the ice and become a great player, not a good player in the NHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not referring to his assists. I think he passes on opportunities where he can make something happen for himself. I'm not knocking the player. I'm pointing out something I'd like to see going forward.

I see a lot of RNH in Reinhart. That's not a bad thing, BTW.

I understood what you were saying and just used that game to make my point. His playing making, vision, understanding of the game and defensive play are elite or have elite upside. His skating and shot do not. My point being is I have seen him try to do what you referenced with Girgs but it doesn't work out nearly as much as when he is using the elite parts of his skill set. Again that game and first period were used as examples of that.

We basically agree that he doesn't succeed with the type of plays you would like to see him do more of. We just disagree on why thats the case.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't think he was directly referencing the 2 assists. Just in Reinharts overall game, not talking just WJC either. Just that it'd be nice if he took more of a demanding presence/hop on my shoulders and I'll get it done. Which was what I got out of Murrays comments from sending him down.

He knows he can get the 2 assists a game at this level, he wants him to become more assertive on the ice and become a great player, not a good player in the NHL.

Not sure how you can say he is doing anything but that based on the play/record of his junior team since his return.

And Murray's comments were along the lines of he needs to get stronger so his body can do what his mind is telling him to do. In other words he needs to get stronger and that should be a focus. I don't recall any comments about him needing to be more assertive in juniors. If anything Murray talked about how he may not be at his very best physically in each game as he tries to squeeze in extra workouts.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
This Luca Fazzini for Switzerland has been pretty good for them. Don't know about a future on this side of the pond though. He's a '95 that's been passed over 2 drafts now, and is listed at 5'9".

Tim O'Meyer :) continues to play well, and remains the Swiss projectable prospect, 6'1" 210 and lighting it up for Halifax. Would be a good get with one of the bonus 1sts. He's destined to play with Greg O'Renko, right? :sarcasm:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I think he balances well with Girgensons. Different styles.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Not sure how you can say he is doing anything but that based on the play/record of his junior team since his return.

And Murray's comments were along the lines of he needs to get stronger so his body can do what his mind is telling him to do. In other words he needs to get stronger and that should be a focus. I don't recall any comments about him needing to be more assertive in juniors. If anything Murray talked about how he may not be at his very best physically in each game as he tries to squeeze in extra workouts.

I agree with Zip, it's not a shot against Reinhart, as in he sucks or its a huge weakness. But it is an untapped portion of his game. Not counting the size I think he is starting to compare to Joe Thornton, in that his pass/shoot bias is so strong to pass that he skips other opportunities more than he should. I look at as something he could work on to make him a more complete offensive threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad