GDT: 2013 Training Camp Thread (Camp opens weekend of 1/11; NHL games start 1/19)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
On Penner, I agree with most of the comments regarding his full season motivated or lack thereof. But sometimes a coach can make that difference. Look how Doughty bloomed under the tough love approach that Sutter uses. I hope he continues that beast in all 3 zones we saw in the playoffs. It could be with the personal issues behind him, and with Sutter's intensity and aggression, that will be the difference for Penner. It was in the playoffs, he was a diffrence make on almost every shift. Whatever talk they had during that contract negotiation made a huge impact on DL. And Penner seems to be the kind of guy loved by a teammate, great sense of humor, good in the room, keeps things light, sticks up for his linemates.

I think that line (Penner-Richards-Carter) when Kopi gets back can be a real force. In a full 82 games, you could see 100 goals out of that line. Carter is deadly and can (and has potted over 40) He could hit 45, or even 50.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Any news on whether or not training camp will be open to the public? I'm still in town this weekend and it would be kick-ass to go watch some practices.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Any news on whether or not training camp will be open to the public? I'm still in town this weekend and it would be kick-ass to go watch some practices.

During yesterday's news conference, it was noted that a MOnday scrimmage was going to be open to the public

But I can't recall what was said about reg. practices

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Waive Drewiske and Westgarth and keep Hickey up.

I don't think I'd waive Drewiske honestly. He does hold some value and can sit for long stretchs and still jump back in and play decently.

Westgarth though is just a 6'4 moustachioed cheerleader. Waive him.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Penner-with-Stanley-Cup-Kings.jpg

This thread is Pennercakes approved, and I dig that.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't think I'd waive Drewiske honestly. He does hold some value and can sit for long stretchs and still jump back in and play decently.

Westgarth though is just a 6'4 moustachioed cheerleader. Waive him.

I find that there are 30+ Drewiske's out there who really just fill a roster spot. I don't think his loss will be felt in any manner.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
SOunds like Drew is gunning for a record year :

Nichols_NHLPool A hungry Drew Doughty worked out w/jr team and trainer, weighs 205. Determined to have Norris-caliber season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
SOunds like Drew is gunning for a record year :

Nichols_NHLPool A hungry Drew Doughty worked out w/jr team and trainer, weighs 205. Determined to have Norris-caliber season.

You would think one would choose to omit "A hungry Drew Doughty" in favor of just "Drew Doughty", especially with Twitter's 40 character limit.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Are they supposed to announce the schedule today?

NHLPA has until 8am tomorrow to vote to ratify the CBA and make it official. Won't see anything until after that deadline has passed. So likely tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning at the soonest. NHL won't release the schedule until it's been agreed upon officially by both sides.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
You would think one would choose to omit "A hungry Drew Doughty" in favor of just "Drew Doughty", especially with Twitter's 40 character limit.

Maybe to maintain 205 Drew is constantly hungry and fighting urges?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
NHLPA has until 8am tomorrow to vote to ratify the CBA and make it official. Won't see anything until after that deadline has passed. So likely tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning at the soonest. NHL won't release the schedule until it's been agreed upon officially by both sides.

Also believe both sides have to sign the Memorandum of Understanding.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen

Kings GM Dean Lombardi said he's not sure how to characterize knee injury to D Willie Mitchell. Suggested 'week to week.'

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
My buddy got a ticket for me for a meet and greet tomorrow night at Staples. Anybody know anything about this?

Yes, but we're not going to tell you. ;)

It's "Meet the Players". It's basically a chance to get things signed & spend about 30 seconds talking to a player. Bring 1 or 2 things to get signed. Expect long lines. (Not that I'm complaining. It's free.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad