2013 Training Camp Discussion

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Many thanks to all of you who took the time to give a "blow by blow" account of what was going on as well as your final thoughts about the individual players...It really was great to read for those of us who couldn't see it live for one reason or another...Hats off gentlemen!

LAPPY13

Apr 12, 2002
Long Island
Last night Scrimmage notes on new Islanders for 2012-13 season

Radek Martinek- looked very steady
Matt Carkner- was what I thought he would be a Eric Carins clone (thats a good thing)
Thomas Hickey- looked ok out there. Good skater. Should be ok as a 3rd pairing d-man with Carkner. Looked around 5-11 or 6 feet tall. Bigger than Jack Hillen or Mark Katic.
Joe Finley- BIG MAN but at best a number 7 d-man at this time. Game is still raw.
Eric Boulton- skated hard but cant do much out there on the ice.
Brad Boyes- looked very bad last night. Could not do anything right last night. (only one scrimmage I still have hopes he can replace Parenteau point totals)

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
A few thoughts from last night
Tavares: No surprise here, but JT hasn't lost a step. The competitiveness is even more evident and even his on ice vision looks better
. Just a question on above remark:

Many thought that JT had gained a great deal of new speed and some had him as Grabner-like.
"Not losing a step" is confusing. Not bad, but could you comment more specifically?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
. Just a question on above remark:

Many thought that JT had gained a great deal of new speed and some had him as Grabner-like.
"Not losing a step" is confusing. Not bad, but could you comment more specifically?

I assume he was referring to the level of play in that he hasn't lost a step from what we saw last year rather than a commentary on his skating ability.

From what I saw, his skating is as good or maybe a little bit better than what we say last year. It was nice to see him back check in the 1st period and he looked like he was shot out of a cannon to catch up the opposing player preventing a clear breakaway. It was if he had hit the turbo button on that play. He's never going to a burner like Grabner, but it won't hinder his play at all.

Hope that helps.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Tonights Full Shootout Video:

Thanks for posting this ! I really am psyched about Barclay's Arena, but I have to say, I always get a special feeling about seeing the old barn. Especially after this long lockout, it's so nice seeing that Islander's logo in center ice, and seeing the guys skating and scoring in Nassau Coliseum again. Don't know about you guys and gals, but I get excited everytime I walk into the entrance, and see that ice. Even if it's a scrimmage ,didn't go last night, but was at both rookie scrimmages they played there in 2010 and 2011.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
jesus christ. That's three already.

Career AHLer. Class tweener. All things considered (salary, injuries), I would prefer Aucoin over Connolly.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
:handclap: Management learning from past mistakes.

Very happy about this news. With Nino and Donovan kept at Bridgeport... is this the same organization that has made some really boneheaded decisions regarding their top prospects? Did Snow transform into Ken Holland over the lockout or something?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The only bad thing about Strome being sent back is that Cizikas probably has his 3C spot cemented.

Isles are really setting themselves up to fail this year. Grabner-Nielsen-Boyes is a "hail mary" second line. Nielsen's proven to be more effective as a 3C; Grabner is coming off a 30-point down year; Boyes has basically played at a 4th line level the last couple of years.

With that in mind, you would think they'd try to roll a 3rd line that can score some goals to help compensate for the below average 2nd line. Ullstrom-Cizikas-McDonald will probably be a decent defensive line, but IMO they will provide absolutely no offense.

I don't mind Strome getting sent back, especially considering it's a short camp and there isn't much time to adjust to the pro level, but just giving Cizikas that spot(which is basically what they've done) is a very poor move. IMO guys like Nelson or even Sundstrom would be better options. At least these guys can be called up at any point. Strome will now have to wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad