2013 Training Camp Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He may look good against our crappy team, but he didn't look so great against kids in his age range at the WJHC. He needs to spend the rest of the year in Junior, and work on his skating and offense.

You can't be serious.

I'll evaluate Reinhart based on how he plays on NA ice, not International ice. Not to mention, against NHL players and not Juniors. Especially when some of those NHLers are John Tavares, Mark Streit, Frans Nielsen, Michael Grabner, Matt Moulson, etc.

I'm not saying I want him to stick this year, but geez... give the kid some respect. He looked absolutely awesome tonight.

startainfection*

i i have to say is omg rienhart is the real deal, it actually looked like he was frustrating tavares

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
5 players that impressed me tonight were all young except for one...

Nino
Hickey
Reinhart
Sudstrom
MARTINEK

Hickey really impressed me in the scrimage tonight....I could def see him playing in the NHL and Starting the 3rd pairing with Carkner...I could also see him being on the 2nd PP and 2nd PK.....He's not big but hes not small...He seems like a very smart Hockey player and he skated very well and uses his stick and positioning to play defense.....Its only one exibition game but I was very pleased with his play...

Last edited:

startainfection*

He may look good against our crappy team, but he didn't look so great against kids in his age range at the WJHC. He needs to spend the rest of the year in Junior, and work on his skating and offense.

the isles are way better than a junior team and his style of play doesnt fit well on large ice

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
i i have to say is omg rienhart is the real deal, it actually looked like he was frustrating tavares

This

Im socked at the WJC post on here saying they were unimpressed by him....

I saw a future top pairing dman tonight...

He makes such smart plays.....

He can play in any and all situations PP PK everything....

I think people underate him because he is not flashy.....

Hes a smart hockey player with no panic to his game....

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
As far as our offense goes:

I agree that Strome didn't look great by any means tonight(although I thought he did start getting more involved offensively as the game went on), but... does anyone else feel that just handing Casey Cizikas a top-9 spot on this team would be an epic mistake? He was absolutely invisible tonight, which is actually worse considering he's one of the few guys on that Islanders team that has been playing during the lockout.

At this point I'd rather see Sundstrom get a shot at that spot than Cizikas. I like the kid in a 4th line role, but I just don't see him contributing much of any offense for us in a top-9 role. At least not yet in his career.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Just got home from coli...My thoughts

People who impressed
-Tavares
- Reinhart
- niño
- nabakov looked so sharp
- Nielsen

The bad
-Finley
-DP
-Boyes

Also I liked Hickey and I thought Moulson looked good...he's always in right spot

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As far as our offense goes:

I agree that Strome didn't look great by any means tonight(although I thought he did start getting more involved offensively as the game went on), but... does anyone else feel that just handing Casey Cizikas a top-9 spot on this team would be an epic mistake? He was absolutely invisible tonight, which is actually worse considering he's one of the few guys on that Islanders team that has been playing during the lockout.

At this point I'd rather see Sundstrom get a shot at that spot than Cizikas. I like the kid in a 4th line role, but I just don't see him contributing much of any offense for us in a top-9 role. At least not yet in his career.

this as the biggest shock to me....
When I went to the practice tuesday casey looked excellent but tonight you are tight he really dd not play the way I was expecting, but I would still give him a shot...

On the other hand this Sundstrom kid looks like the real deal. sze and skill and can play defense...I loved what I saw from him tonight.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Does Reinhart have any family in Bratislava that he might want to spend more time with?

Yeah, but not sure Visnovsky wants an 18 year old hanging around his wife while he's riding the bus to Siberia to watch KHL hockey

This

Im socked at the WJC post on hear saying they were unimpressed by him....

I saw a future top pairing dman tonight...

He makes such smart plays.....

He can play in any and all situations PP PK everything....

I think people underatehim because he is not flashy.....

Hes a smart hockey player with no panic to his game....

I remember posting that if the NHL lockout ended, that Reinhart would be one of the best dmen in camp, for the reasons we saw tonight. Poise, size, skill and overall great hockey instincts for defense. The absolute hardest thing for a defenseman to learn is in-zone coverage, positioning between the opposing forward and the goalie and making a smart, safe play when pressured.....and Reinhart is NHL-ready in those areas.

BUT, he absolutely should go back to junior. He has so much untapped potential. I know he has shown little offense but he has the tools and the instincts, he has much room for development in that area. If he can improve his footwork and quickness, learn to lead the rush or jump into offensive areas like his dad, or like Seth Jones, he will be deadly.

He seems to have no mean streak but if he did, he'd be Pronger. ;)

Last edited:

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Went to the game and here is my observations:
The game definitely had a scrimmage feel to it and not the intensity of an NHL game so I would not read to much into players who rely on the physical edge to their game. The Islanders definitely looked rusty and the Sound Tigers much crisper. Here is a rundown on the players I noticed:
Taveras looked awesome
Okposo has some rust to knock off his game as he seemed to fumble the puck often.
Hickey does look small but played well.
Grabner looks like he needs to kick it up a notch (hopefully not another slow start for him like is his norm).
Moulson is ready.
Laundry did not impress me.
Does Reasoner even care or is he here just to pick up his last pay checks?
Joe Finley is a REALLY big fellow (so is Nillson the goalie who was sitting on a chair in the runway as a b/u.)
Streit did not look very impressive. Seemed to over handle the puck and make some unforced errors/passes.
Now for the Yutes:
Nino was a star out there tonight. Can't believe this is the same guy as last year.
Nelson and Sundstrom are really good hockey players. Sound positionally and very active sticks with good hand eye coordination. Drooling over these two.
Reinhart did not look out of place but he is not ready. He made some very nice plays but his skating style does look awkward.
Ness is a good hockey player and competes very hard I just don't know if he is NHL material.
Strome is very talented but not ready for the NHL(there was one play in particular coming out of his own zone by the bench that I think it was Landry could have laid him out as Strome had his head down but Landry held up. I kind of cringed when I saw it developing, thank goodness it was a scrimmage.)
If Wishart could add an element of nasty/toughness to his game I think he could be a decent 5/6 guy.
I know these two are not 'prospects' but has Costello and Combs played together for a while? They play very well together.
Cappy has lost a lot of weight.
The lines to get in and the concession were ridiculous.
At one time the Sound Tigers had Nelson, Strome, Sundstrom, Reinhart, and Ness out on a power play- envisioning the future??

Nabby looked good, DP not so much.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
No need to Nino any prospect. 4th line minutes for a 19 year old top prospect. Would probably equate to the Isles bringing big Griff on as the 7th all year long.

It is a shortened season. Players will get injured. Keep Reinhart up this year so he can play in the AHL next year.

Let him and Hickey battle for the 7th spot.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It is a shortened season. Players will get injured. Keep Reinhart up this year so he can play in the AHL next year.

Let him and Hickey battle for the 7th spot.

I just can't see that happening, at least the 7th spot idea. IMO Reinhart's only hope is if A) Visnovsky doesn't report, and B) he just flat outplays guys like Hickey, Finley, Landry, etc.

I don't doubt either of those things happening, but still the Isles might just prefer him finishing his WHL season and then coming into a full camp/preseason next year with a little bit of NHL exp. under his belt.

Regardless of whatever happens, I expect Hickey to be on this team. As a 6 or 7, doesn't matter, IMO he'll be here. I doubt the Isles will risk sending him back through waivers to get him to BP.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

If they keep Reinhart here this season, they can't send him to the AHL next season it's basically NHL or junior

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
I missed being able to watch games and after every game just be like, "Man, he is so freaking good." Even during the 1st when the Isles were down, he looked genuinely pissed off. The kid hates to lose and that's an amazing trait to have as a fan watching.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
So did they just break out that 1996 foghorn for this scrimmage or something? That's the first time I've heard it in years.

Ziggy16

Mar 1, 2005
during the main game, there was no goal horn at all.. however, the fog horn reared its head in the shootout.. i wonder if they really wanted to use it or not or tried to quietly spill the beans that they are going back to using the fog horn full time.. quite a strange setup tonight..

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If they keep Reinhart here this season, they can't send him to the AHL next season it's basically NHL or junior

I thought if you play X amount at the NHL level, you can play at the AHL as a 19 year old. Kind of like RNH this year, who went from the AHL to the WJC.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Is this because of the Lockout because isn't what I said what happened with Niederreiter?

No, Nino had a year of Juniors after he was drafted, then he made the jump to the NHL.

Nino is just very, very young for his draft year (if he was born a few days later, he would have been draft eligible in 2011).

startainfection*

I thought if you play X amount at the NHL level, you can play at the AHL as a 19 year old. Kind of like RNH this year, who went from the AHL to the WJC.

that is solely because of the lockout from my understanding

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
A few thoughts from last night

Players that Impressed:

Niederreiter: In my opinion, best player on the ice last night. Was noticeable at both ends, had speed, battled in the corners and the goal he scored was very nice.

Tavares: No surprise here, but JT hasn't lost a step. The competitiveness is even more evident and even his on ice vision looks better.

Backman & Sundstrom: Really liked the speed both of these players brought to the game.

Martin: Looks like he's really been working during the extended off-season, one of the few guys on the blue side who had no rust to their game.

Martinek: Steady as he ever was. As long as he stays healthy he'll really help shore up the back-end.

Nabakov: Was solid throughout, hasn't lost a step at all and he seemed very focused.

Nielsen: Still the shootout king and still really solid on the penalty kill.

Hickey: He was noticeably smaller than just about everyone on the ice but his game was solid and simple, reminds me a lot of Jack Hillen before he got hit in the mouth by Ovechkin's shot.

Players that Didn't look So Hot:

Boyes: Made a number of mistakes particularly on the power play. Was slow and overly cautious with the puck. Perhaps its just a chemistry thing, but, I wasn't impressed at all with Boyes' play.

MacDonald: Looked very very rusty.

Reasoner: Got slower over the offseason, however, was pretty steady on the pk.

Cizikas: Was basically invisible in my opinion.

Finley: He's big, but, he made a LOT of mistakes and flubs both defensively and when making an outlet pass.

Grabner: Most likely an after effect from his injury (or still lingering problems from it) but he's definitely slower than he was the last two years. But I'll give him props for scoring in the shootout.

Okposo: From what I can tell it seemed like he didn't want to be there last night, just going through the motions. Hopefully when the season starts he'll be motivated.

startainfection*

does anyone else think that the goalies were just letting b port score? dp looked really good in the first half and than when they switched sides he looked awful, same goes for nabby, vice versa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad