2013 Training Camp Discussion

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
this

I wouldnt mind bumping Reasoner down either

Absolutely. I know we've been dumpster diving but Connolly is still a good play maker and a # 2 center on a weak team. He plays a similar style games as Bailey and could see chemistry there.

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Connolly - Boyes
Cizikas- Nielsen - grabner
Martin - reasoner/Aucoin - Ullstrom/boulton

Not to mention he is in the final year of his contract so he could be poised for a good year. If that's the case and isles miss playoffs he is good deadline bait. Not a bad player in the mean time of waiting for strome to get here

Last edited:

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
If Bailey played with Connolly you would literally see them competing in a "who could be cuter on ice" competition. I don't want Connolly on this team, and part of the reason is that I don't want Bailey turning into Connolly (I already think he is mostly there). Bailey has a good shot, he needs to use it. He needs start passing less. He needs to start stickhandling less. He has enough skills to be a quality NHL player he just needs to play simpler.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If Bailey played with Connolly you would literally see them competing in a "who could be cuter on ice" competition. I don't want Connolly on this team, and part of the reason is that I don't want Bailey turning into Connolly (I already think he is mostly there). Bailey has a good shot, he needs to use it. He needs start passing less. He needs to start stickhandling less. He has enough skills to be a quality NHL player he just needs to play simpler.

Really, really, really want to see Bailey playing LW on a line with Okposo on the RW. I eventually see Boyes dropping down the depth chart, and would expect Nino to come in at some point and take a scoring role. Same with one of our centers, Nelson or Sundstrom, if/when Cizikas struggles to produce offensively. I'd love to eventually see this lineup early on:

Moulson - Tavares - Niederreiter
Bailey - Nelson/Sundstrom - Okposo
Ullstrom - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Reasoner/Cizikas/Aucoin - Boulton/Boyes

Extremely talented 1st line; Big, physical but skilled 2nd line; Well balanced offensive/defensive 3rd line; 4th energy/banger line.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

While I understand your concern I disagree. You say bailey needs to start passing less and shooting more enter Connolly a passer first to compliment bailey who you want to shoot more. I think they would compliment each other well.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
While I understand your concern I disagree. You say bailey needs to start passing less and shooting more enter Connolly a passer first to compliment bailey who you want to shoot more. I think they would compliment each other well.

Bailey played with Doug Weight. He was the same Bailey.

Bailey had his best games with guys like Comeau and Okposo. And when those guys are going, they also play simple, forcing Bailey to play simple. When Comeau and Okposo play like ****, they do a lot of circling with and without the puck. IMO, if you got guys constantly crashing the net, not holding the puck for longer than a second or two, that's going to be the way the line plays. Conversely, when you have guys stickhandling in the corner, waiting for the perfect passing lane to open, that's also going to be the way the line plays.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Bailey played with Doug Weight. He was the same Bailey.

Bailey had his best games with guys like Comeau and Okposo. And when those guys are going, they also play simple, forcing Bailey to play simple. When Comeau and Okposo play like ****, they do a lot of circling with and without the puck. IMO, if you got guys constantly crashing the net, not holding the puck for longer than a second or two, that's going to be the way the line plays. Conversely, when you have guys stickhandling in the corner, waiting for the perfect passing lane to open, that's also going to be the way the line plays.

Bailey wasn't drafted for his simplicity though, he was drafted for his creativity. He just needs to find the proper balance I think Connolly can help do that. Connolly can play cutesy yet he's been able to have some success in the NHL because he learned when is the right time for it and when it isn't. This combo could fail for reasons you've stated but could also go well. I think it's worth a shot. Plus it puts bailey on the wing for less pressure especially in a condensed season

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Bailey wasn't drafted for his simplicity though, he was drafted for his creativity. He just needs to find the proper balance I think Connolly can help do that. Connolly can play cutesy yet he's been able to have some success in the NHL because he learned when is the right time for it and when it isn't. This combo could fail for reasons you've stated but could also go well. I think it's worth a shot. Pus it puts bailey on the wing for less pressure especially in a condensed season

For the amount of talent Connolly has, he should be putting up far more points than he has. Part of the reason, imo, is that he refuses to keep it simpler (rather than simple, because you are right, both Bailey and Connolly were drafted because of their skills).

I understand your point, I just disagree for two major reasons:

1) I'm not a huge Connolly fan. Bailey will be playing wing anyway.

2) I don't want Connolly anywhere near Bailey.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
For the amount of talent Connolly has, he should be putting up far more points than he has. Part of the reason, imo, is that he refuses to keep it simpler (rather than simple, because you are right, both Bailey and Connolly were drafted because of their skills).

I understand your point, I just disagree for two major reasons:

1) I'm not a huge Connolly fan. Bailey will be playing wing anyway.

2) I don't want Connolly anywhere near Bailey.

I think Connollys reason for not putting up that amount of points he should be has been his issue of staying healthy and never being able to fully take advantage on his development years or ever having any consistent line mates. Well if the isles claim him we will see if not this is all a mute discussion lol

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
My buddy went to the game yesterday and gave me a quick recap.Tavares was his usual dominant self on the ice and was by far the best player on the ice. Nino scored a really nice goal and was buzzing most of the game. Those were the 2 players he noticed the most. As far as who looked the worst he mentioned Boyes who and i quote "looked useless".

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
BTW i am going to the game Saturday with my family. My two daughters are probably looking more forward to the game then i am.:handclap: I have rarely gone to a game since the last time the Islanders made the playoffs. Hopefully once they move to Brooklyn they spend some money and finally put out a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup..

Anchor Town*

What are the PP lines looking like? How will the ice time be split up amongst the two?

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island
Everyone who is one the roster right now will be here till Bailey, Joensuu and Visnovsky arrive. So expect to see the roster from last night with Aucoin either on the 4th line or as an extra.

Forwards
26 Matt Moulson - 91 John Tavares - 21 Kyle Okposo
40 Michael Grabner - 51 Frans Nielsen - 24 Brad Boyes
41 David Ullstrom - 53 Casey Cizikas - 13 Colin McDonald
17 Matt Martin - 16 Marty Reasoner - 36 Eric Boulton

Defensemen
2 Mark Streit - 4 Radek Martinek
47 Andrew MacDonald - 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey - 7 Matt Carkner
52 Joe Finley
Oh boy, Gna be a long year. Good thing we get to see tavares play

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Bailey wasn't drafted for his simplicity though, he was drafted for his creativity. He just needs to find the proper balance I think Connolly can help do that. Connolly can play cutesy yet he's been able to have some success in the NHL because he learned when is the right time for it and when it isn't. This combo could fail for reasons you've stated but could also go well. I think it's worth a shot. Plus it puts bailey on the wing for less pressure especially in a condensed season

Bailey is better than Connolly, it's not close. Sometimes puck skills make a player seem like a better prospect or be more effective but players like Matt Moulson look way worse than Schremp, Omark, Zherdev when, in fact, it's the complete opposite.

Connolly always had slick moves, but never effective enough in generating results.

Bailey's got some of the same flaws, but is a far more well rounded player who can play a bottom six role just as effectively.

I think Bailey will have a good year.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Bailey is better than Connolly, it's not close. Sometimes puck skills make a player seem like a better prospect or be more effective but players like Matt Moulson look way worse than Schremp, Omark, Zherdev when, in fact, it's the complete opposite.

Connolly always had slick moves, but never effective enough in generating results.

Bailey's got some of the same flaws, but is a far more well rounded player who can play a bottom six role just as effectively.

I think Bailey will have a good year.

While i respect your comments. Bailey is at a .4 points per GM average for his career. Connolly is at .6 bailey May be better then Connolly but until he's producing more than him I think saying "bailey is better then Connolly, it's not close" is a little much escp since Connolly has produced more on game avg then bailey. All while Connolly is constantly dealing with injuries and trying to get back into game form and everything else that comes with injuries that have slowed him down over the years. To me Connolly is more skilled. Baileys only plus over Connolly is he is younger so has the potential to get much better. But right now he is a step below Connolly IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So will Okposo start the year on the Tavares/Moulson line? Is Nino going to be staying in Bridgeport?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So will Okposo start the year on the Tavares/Moulson line? Is Nino going to be staying in Bridgeport?

Yeah, Okposo will be on the 1st line at ES and 2nd unit PP. Boyes will take his spot on the 1st unit. At least, that's what we say in the scrimmage.

For now, Nino is staying in Bridgeport. He looked great in the scrimmage, night and day from last year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks, when Nino returns it sounds like he'll hit the ground running. I guess Strome will go back to the OHL?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thanks, when Nino returns it sounds like he'll hit the ground running. I guess Strome will go back to the OHL?

Both Strome and Reinhart have been returned to their respective teams. It looks like Nino and other Isles prospects will be staying down in Bridgeport for the year, getting more valuable minutes. It looks like Garth finally realized how to handle prospects, but I'm assuming the draft class has a lot to do with it too ;)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Strome and Reinhart were returned to their respective CHL clubs yesterday.

It has been mentioned that once Strome's Junior season is over, he'll be eligible to join the AHL Soundtigers. I'm not sure, but he could get some action in the NHL too. The bonus is that it wouldn't burn a year off of his ELC.

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
What are the PP lines looking like? How will the ice time be split up amongst the two?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall these units on Wednesday night...

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo - Boyes - Streit
Martin - Nielsen - Grabner - Hamonic - MacDonald

I don't remember the PK pairs but I know for sure that Nielsen, Grabner, JT, Reasoner, and Martin all had PK time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad