OT: 2013 Redskins Thread - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
"I coached high school football! You will respect my authority! If a former Super Bowl winning quarterback is available, spare no expense! If we don't get Roethlisberger, maybe we can trade RG3 to ESPN for Trent Dilfer!" - You

I brought up the fact that I played football and coached it because you questioned my "asset managment" skills. So I am not looking for or demanding respect, far from it actually.

But since you keep at this can you describe your experience level in regards to NFL asset management since you clearly are an expert? Are you, or have you been, affiliated with an NFL team either as a player, coach or front office person? Have you even played organized football?

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
I brought up the fact that I played football and coached it because you questioned my "asset managment" skills. So I am not looking for or demanding respect, far from it actually.

But since you keep at this can you describe your experience level in regards to NFL asset management since you clearly are an expert? Are you, or have you been, affiliated with an NFL team either as a player, coach or front office person? Have you even played organized football?

You think someone needs to have worked in an NFL front office to know that RG3 is a much bigger asset than Roethlisberger at this point in time? Do you honestly think that any one of the NFL GMs would say that Roethlisberger has as much or more trade value than RG3? You really believe that?

Now you're just grasping at straws.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You think someone needs to have worked in an NFL front office to know that RG3 is a much bigger asset than Roethlisberger at this point in time? Do you honestly think that any one of the NFL GMs would say that Roethlisberger has as much or more trade value than RG3? You really believe that?

Also curious as to how coaching Highschool football gives you any sort of say in asset management when it comes to NFL Football. Last I checked, you can't trade or draft people in highschool.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Just what I thought. You know dick. :nod:

Yes I do feel it is important for someone to have personal experience when it comes to commenting on sports. That is why I comment very little on the Caps beyond in-game observations and some general smack talk with other fans from time to time. My personal experience when it comes to playing Hockey is zero. I've never played. So I know very little in regards to what it takes to play the sport or how to build a SC winning team.

But I have been a part of winning HS and College football teams so I feel I have, at least, an average idea of what it takes to build a winning football team. And thats why there is more to me being intriqued by the prospect of trading for Roethlisberger than what I've stated to this point. That more is the fact that Griffin appears to have a little Diva in him. Because of that I am starting to develop a slight case of "buyers remorse" in regards to Griffin. I still think the kid was worth the risk in trading all those picks, but if the Diva in Griffin becomes more pronounced doing something like trading Griffin for a QB like Roethlisberger becomes more attractive, IMO.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Just what I thought. You know dick. :nod:

Yes I do feel it is important for someone to have personal experience when it comes to commenting on sports. That is why I comment very little on the Caps beyond in-game observations and some general smack talk with other fans from time to time. My personal experience when it comes to playing Hockey is zero. I've never played. So I know very little in regards to what it takes to play the sport or how to build a SC winning team.

But I have been a part of winning HS and College football teams so I feel I have, at least, an average idea of what it takes to build a winning football team. And thats why there is more to me being intriqued by the prospect of trading for Roethlisberger than what I've stated to this point. That more is the fact that Griffin appears to have a little Diva in him. Because of that I am starting to develop a slight case of "buyers remorse" in regards to Griffin. I still think the kid was worth the risk in trading all those picks, but if the Diva in Griffin becomes more pronounced doing something like trading Griffin for a QB like Roethlisberger becomes more attractive, IMO.

You realize that asset-management is entirely independent of whether you think Roethlisberger gives the Redskins a better chance to win a football game than RG3 does, right? If you were the Redskins GM and you decided to bring in Roethlisberger and ship out RG3, you wouldn't do a 1-for-1 trade. The fact that you think that's the best way to go about that switch means you don't understand asset-managment, which has been my point all along (as well as with our previous discussions about trading three firsts and a second to draft any player). You could get Roethlisberger and his contract for a 1st at most (and probably less than that), and get a whole lot more than that if you traded RG3 elsewhere. A straight-up trade between those two is insane.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Trading RGIII for Rothface would be the worst trade in the history of sports, and it wouldn't be close. I'd only consider it if the Steelers threw in 3 1st rounders and retroactively gave us back Ryan Clark from 6 years ago and forced the Penguins to give us Sydney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin with salary retained in exchange for Brooks Laich.

Just absolutely asinine.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It doesn't. That was my point. WetHog seems to think it does, however.

Sure it does. I put more stock in an opinion on the Caps from someone who has played organized hockey at a high level over someone, like me, who has never played hockey in their life. Wouldn't you?

Also, just to clear things up I will quote a previous post of mine:

I brought up the fact that I played football and coached it because you questioned my "asset managment" skills.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You realize that asset-management is entirely independent of whether you think Roethlisberger gives the Redskins a better chance to win a football game than RG3 does, right? If you were the Redskins GM and you decided to bring in Roethlisberger and ship out RG3, you wouldn't do a 1-for-1 trade. The fact that you think that's the best way to go about that switch means you don't understand asset-managment, which has been my point all along (as well as with our previous discussions about trading three firsts and a second to draft any player). You could get Roethlisberger and his contract for a 1st at most (and probably less than that), and get a whole lot more than that if you traded RG3 elsewhere. A straight-up trade between those two is insane.

I have a pretty good idea what asset management is. I am smart enough to know that trading Griffin straight up for Roethlisburger at this time would be an idiotic move, and I am also man enough to say I made a dumb mistake suggesting as much in my previous comments.

As I said before, that's why I am not an NFL executive. Because I let a petty gripe of mine not liking Diva football players cloud my judgment.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Trading RGIII for Rothface would be the worst trade in the history of sports, and it wouldn't be close. I'd only consider it if the Steelers threw in 3 1st rounders and retroactively gave us back Ryan Clark from 6 years ago and forced the Penguins to give us Sydney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin with salary retained in exchange for Brooks Laich.

Just absolutely asinine.

I would put the Herschel Walker trade up there as the worst trade in NFL history, but trading Griffin straight up for Big Ben would be up there.

And since we are on the subject of bad NFL trades, where do you come down on the Champ Bailey and a 2nd for Clinton Portis?

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Let's recap:

Interested to read what people on here would think of the Skins trading Griffin straight up for Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger has taken a beating over the last handful of years, but at 31 I wouldn't be opposed to the Skins doing such a thing. Big Ben is a winner.

Worst at asset management of any poster on these boards? Talk about insane. :laugh:

Big difference between saying "I wouldn't be opposed to it" and saying "the Skins need to make this trade right now".

There is more to me not being opposed to trading for Roethlisberger then just wanting to bail on a 23 year old QB for a 31 year old 2 time SB winner, but what is the point elaborating?

You reiterate four times that you think RG3 is less than or equal to Roethlisberger in trade value, all the while insisting that because you played amateur football and coached high school football, you are more qualified to make such a judgement than anyone else.

Then, when others start to chime in and agree that your trade proposal is completely ludicrous, you instantly change your tune and insist that you are "smart enough to know that trading Griffin straight up for Roethlisburger at this time would be an idiotic move" (quote taken from the post below).

Read the rest of the below post. It's gold. You want credit for previously admitting you were wrong, when you never previously admitted you were wrong. All after insisting four consecutive times that you were right. I feel like I'm debating a kindergartner.

I have a pretty good idea what asset management is. I am smart enough to know that trading Griffin straight up for Roethlisburger at this time would be an idiotic move, and I am also man enough to say I made a dumb mistake suggesting as much in my previous comments.

As I said before, that's why I am not an NFL executive. Because I let a petty gripe of mine not liking Diva football players cloud my judgment.

And then to top it off, you attempt to change the discussion by comparing the trade proposal YOU CREATED to what you think is the worst trade in NFL history.

I would put the Herschel Walker trade up there as the worst trade in NFL history, but trading Griffin straight up for Big Ben would be up there.

And since we are on the subject of bad NFL trades, where do you come down on the Champ Bailey and a 2nd for Clinton Portis?

I seriously can't even contemplate what it's like to be you at a keyboard.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Let's recap:

You reiterate four times that you think RG3 is less than or equal to Roethlisberger in trade value, all the while insisting that because you played amateur football and coached high school football, you are more qualified to make such a judgement than anyone else.

Then, when others start to chime in and agree that your trade proposal is completely ludicrous, you instantly change your tune and insist that you are "smart enough to know that trading Griffin straight up for Roethlisburger at this time would be an idiotic move" (quote taken from the post below).

Read the rest of the below post. It's gold. You want credit for previously admitting you were wrong, when you never previously admitted you were wrong. All after insisting four consecutive times that you were right. I feel like I'm debating a kindergartner.

And then to top it off, you attempt to change the discussion by comparing the trade proposal YOU CREATED to what you think is the worst trade in NFL history.

I seriously can't even contemplate what it's like to be you at a keyboard.

Congratulations, you win the Internet.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Sure it does. I put more stock in an opinion on the Caps from someone who has played organized hockey at a high level over someone, like me, who has never played hockey in their life. Wouldn't you?

Also, just to clear things up I will quote a previous post of mine:

Except High School isn't a higher level. That has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. And playing college football doesn't mean **** because, again, you're A. Playing and not Coaching and B. You don't trade for assets, you recruit them.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I'd rank it as terrible, because of what we did to CP. We took a guy who, in my opinion, could have been a HOF if he continued to play in a ZBS and we ran him into the ground in Gibbs' power scheme.

Can you imagine a young CP in this current offense?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Trading for CP was dumb, not because of how good he could have been, but because we gave up a HOFer and a 2nd for a RB when RB's ere on their way to being a dime a dozen.

However, CP carried this team for ages so I suppose it works out.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Had a lot of respect for CP, always was fun to watch him on blitz pickups...but yeah, Gibbs ruined him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Trading for CP was dumb, not because of how good he could have been, but because we gave up a HOFer and a 2nd for a RB when RB's ere on their way to being a dime a dozen.

However, CP carried this team for ages so I suppose it works out.

I don't think it would have been dumb if CP turned into our AP, which I firmly believe he could have. I think it was dumb throwing in a 2nd. I think it was dumb watching Gibbs put a square peg into a round hole and try to make him Riggins 2.0.

Champ, like Varlamov, wanted out and was gone. We got a decent return for him but like our return for Varly we crapped it away.

Edit: I loved CP. I loved his personality and I loved that he always brought it. But to be honest, when I see him, I remember dark times. He reminds me of ST's death, of watching Gibbs struggle in his return, of Jason Campbell, of losing, and worst of all, the abortion that was Dan Snyder and Vinny the Idiot running this franchise into the ground.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You beat me to it, Riggins 2.0. Portis was at 203 when we got him; he was soon up to 226 and his neck was thick. Up the middle he went, but that was not him.

It was hard not to like Portis but watching him late in his career, going down awkwardly and such, was hard to watch. But before that, he made the game fun during some tough times.

sheriffgonnagitcha.jpg
costume-7.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought Big Ben's top strength was to play behind a porous OL. It sure looked like he had no support from his OL in his most recent bowl visits. Plural.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
RGIII for Big Ben might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. And there have been plenty of really really really dumb things posted.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
odds of shanabruce putting in a claim on reed?

or, has his play fallen off so badly that he's toast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad