Prospect Info: 2013 Penguins Development Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm surprised at the lack of praise Rust is getting here or on other websites. It seemed like any time he was on the ice he created havoc in front of and around the other team's net. Other than Megna, I thought he was the forward that stood out the most.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'm surprised at the lack of praise Rust is getting here or on other websites. It seemed like any time he was on the ice he created havoc in front of and around the other team's net. Other than Megna, I thought he was the forward that stood out the most.

Rust? I didn't even realize he was playing until half way through the scrimmage.

Stevo

Mar 27, 2013
My Scrimmage thoughts.

FORWARDS:
Matia Marcantuoni is obscenely fast. Jump to the top of my prospect watch list.
Jayson Megna looks as if he could be TK 2.0 which is a great thing!
Teddy Blueger made some nice passes. You can tell he see's the game very well.
Jake Guentzel young, small, but talented. It will be fun follow his development. kinda reminds me of Bennnet.
Blaine Byron/Troy Josephs/Ryan Segalla were all very noticeable and made me feel pretty good about the draft this year.
Adam Payerl/Dominik Uher are big and nasty and still developing. Nice to have especially after the ET/KV debacles.
Oskar Sundqvist looked strong and smart.
Tom Kuhnhackl looked smooth and smart.
Jean-Sebastien Dea looked very tenacious.

D-MEN:
Dumoulin very close if not ready. Very big , Very smart, Very unnoticeable in a good way.
Matta is an exciting prospect to have. Shades of Gonchar/Murphey.
Pouliot is looking to still have quite the learning curve ahead of him but you can see flashes of brilliance.
Harringtion looks good but still has a year or so to go.
Harrison Ruopp is a bad man and that's a good thing.
Nick D-Agostino looked solid.
Phillip Samuelsson will be an NHLer soon.

GOALIES:
Hartzell is no joke. MAF should be looking over his shoulder. This could go down sooner than later.
Jarry is no joke as well. Going to be fun to follow his development.

OVERALL:
All in all the forward prospects pool seems as if we could have many potential solid bottom 6 players and who knows we could get lucky, See
(Marcantuoni, Sundqvist, Guentzel, Blueger, Kuhnhackl )

Defensive pool is absolutely stocked to the gills. Many potential 7,6,5,4,3's not to mention a few potential stars in Matta and Pouliot.

Goalie pool is crowded and makes you question how much patience is left for MAF from Management

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Everybody is saying Marcantuoni had a down year, and I don't disagree, but there were other NHL draft picks on Kitchener whose numbers were much lower than normal too, so I'm hoping a lot of it is just coming him coming back from injury and the team as a whole adopting a very defensive style.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Everybody is saying Marcantuoni had a down year, and I don't disagree, but there were other NHL draft picks on Kitchener whose numbers were much lower than normal too, so I'm hoping a lot of it is just coming him coming back from injury and the team as a whole adopting a very defensive style.

If he can stay healthy, I struggle to forsee a situation where he isn't at least a 4th liner. If Zolnerchuckydoll can become a part time NHL player through being quick and throwing his body around, so can Marcantuoni.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

Yeah being the best among this prospect group in a pretty meaningless scrimmage doesn't mean much. I think what a lot of us are saying is that he has all the skills. Which makes it all the more surprising his numbers have been what they have been the last couple years.

Hopefully he doesn't turn into a work out warrior who can't put it into a game situation.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
My Scrimmage thoughts.

FORWARDS:
Jake Guentzel young, small, but talented. It will be fun follow his development. kinda reminds me of Bennnet.
Blaine Byron/Troy Josephs/Ryan Segalla were all very noticeable and made me feel pretty good about the draft this year.
Adam Payerl/Dominik Uher are big and nasty and still developing. Nice to have especially after the ET/KV debacles.

D-MEN:
Dumoulin very close if not ready. Very big , Very smart, Very unnoticeable in a good way.
Pouliot is looking to still have quite the learning curve ahead of him but you can see flashes of brilliance.

GOALIES:
Hartzell is no joke. MAF should be looking over his shoulder. This could go down sooner than later.

OVERALL:
All in all the forward prospects pool seems as if we could have many potential solid bottom 6 players and who knows we could get lucky, See

Defensive pool is absolutely stocked to the gills. Many potential 7,6,5,4,3's not to mention a few potential stars in Matta and Pouliot.

Goalie pool is crowded and makes you question how much patience is left for MAF from Management

You're a glass half full kind of guy aren't you?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

He said his main priority last year was just getting through a full season healthy and he hopes to double his production this upcoming season.

If he can stay healthy, I struggle to forsee a situation where he isn't at least a 4th liner. If Zolnerchuckydoll can become a part time NHL player through being quick and throwing his body around, so can Marcantuoni.

This is how I see it as well.

His speed and aggression will probably get him onto a fourth line alone. If he can tap into his offensive potential (which I believe is there) I think he'll at least be a decent third liner.

I'd be willing to bet he's already faster than over half the guys currently on the Pens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He had a pretty impressive season for the baby Pens all things considered. He was kind of expected to go to the ECHL but his play forced Sneep down... Not a huge feat I guess, but considering their age difference I think it was significant. And through-out the season and the playoffs he was one of the more dependable d-men on the team. Now that he's getting more strength on his frame he's able to do the things that he wants to do, and needs to do to play in the NHL- like being physical and battling in front of the net. He's not terrible with the puck either, and seems to be pretty smart in general in all three zones.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Always forget about this guy. You really think he's close?

Did you see his write up? Doesn't say a bad thing about any of our prospects and they're bad things to be said. Not too long ago he was fighting his way out of the ECHL.

I will say this, his skating has really improved since he was drafted. It's a strength of his now. He does look stronger in all aspects of his game but IMO he needs at least another full year in the AHL playing hard minutes before he sees anytime. Especially with the guys in front him. Bortz, Dumoulin, & maybe even Harrington are better players right now. Plus Mikkelson with real NHL experience.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That article struck me the same way, and I had the same reaction.

Those writers should stick to the sport, not the drama they try to create. Although, they don't seem to know much about the sport, especially Rossi and even Yohe. Why would you bring up their being "assets" to these kids who are focusing on just doing their best to make the team?

What a *****. "Welcome to Pittsburgh you know you might be traded?"

Ugh, just finished reading that.

:laugh:

Glad it wasn't just me. Hard to imagine these guys give any real thought before they decide to write a piece like that. Because if they do give it thought and determine it's a good idea, that's your sure sign that we're dealing with a true moron here. Usually I'd expect something like this from Rossi, less from Yohe though he's had his "real men of genius" moments too.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He had a pretty impressive season for the baby Pens all things considered. He was kind of expected to go to the ECHL but his play forced Sneep down... Not a huge feat I guess, but considering their age difference I think it was significant. And through-out the season and the playoffs he was one of the more dependable d-men on the team. Now that he's getting more strength on his frame he's able to do the things that he wants to do, and needs to do to play in the NHL- like being physical and battling in front of the net. He's not terrible with the puck either, and seems to be pretty smart in general in all three zones.
I like him too. The thing that I like best about him is that he keeps it simple and knows his limitations. Kind of like when Scuds first came up. His skating looked better than in the past but he still has that "blocky" change of direction like his dad.

Sundqvist looked good. Very strong and fluid with a huge frame.

Blueger has natural instincts for the game on both sides of the puck. Kind of like the Bruins centers. I think Frans Neilson is a nice comparison.

I didn't like Domoulins prospect game. His skating was fine but his puck managment was pretty bad. I've seen him play better so I would chalk it up to just being a one game thing.

I also thought Jarry didn't look that good. I don't mind seeing a goalie getting scored on in a game like this but pucks went through him.You could see some nice ability though.

I didn't like Segalla's game either. Morer less correctable, simple stuff like the way he supported his partner.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

Jacob I was surprised by Philip's passing in the prospects scrimmage. Also surprised to see him battling effectively along the boards low in the offensive zone.

Maybe this could be a breakout year for him, and a ticket to the 3rd pairing.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I like him too. The thing that I like best about him is that he keeps it simple and knows his limitations. Kind of like when Scuds first came up. His skating looked better than in the past but he still has that "blocky" change of direction like his dad.

Sundqvist looked good. Very strong and fluid with a huge frame.

Blueger has natural instincts for the game on both sides of the puck. Kind of like the Bruins centers. I think Frans Neilson is a nice comparison.

I didn't like Domoulins prospect game. His skating was fine but his puck managment was pretty bad. I've seen him play better so I would chalk it up to just being a one game thing.

I also thought Jarry didn't look that good. I don't mind seeing a goalie getting scored on in a game like this but pucks went through him.You could see some nice ability though.

I didn't like Segalla's game either. Morer less correctable, simple stuff like the way he supported his partner.

Thought Samuelson looked good. He surprised me with his passing and skating.

I was disapointed a bit on Sudqvist. Skating was o.k. but he did not really distinguish himself as I was hoping he would.

You can see the talent in Bleugers, but he did not respond well to the physical play as far as I saw.

Segalla looked good IMO. Physical player for his size. Your issue with him is something he should improve on as a freshman in college.

I thought Duomulin was great. More physical than I expected, and some excellent breakout passes. He was trying to be something he is not though, a puck carrying defensemen.

Fire Shero*

My Scrimmage thoughts.

FORWARDS:

D-MEN:

GOALIES:

OVERALL:

Wow after reading that you'd think we were stacked with young talent

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Goal is pretty good too.

It's just that we make a convincing case for the worst group of forward prospects in the league.

Apparently its not an issue for management. You would think these prospect camps would be a red flag that we need some better forward talent. But look at some of the guys we passed up the last couple drafts....

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Apparently its not an issue for management. You would think these prospect camps would be a red flag that we need some better forward talent. But look at some of the guys we passed up the last couple drafts....

How has Forsberg (the legendary Pick 8 we passed on for Pouliot that almost gave some posters here a nervous breakdown) fared in his summer camps / development since last summer? There were a couple European posters in here who felt this guy was badly overrated. I haven't heard much about him since then.

I truly think, in the end, management PLANS to move some of these kids for established forwards, just as they have in the past. IOW, they are very confident in their ability to pick and develop excellent D, and they prefer to do that and trade for F who have already proven themselves in the NHL, rather than trying to develop F in this system. Mgmt sees F picks in the bottom half of the 1st round (where we usually are) as a crap-shoot in terms of "will they ever make the Top 6"...

...so better to just target someone else's established forward (a guy they know can make our Top 6), and trade an NHL-ready, top-notch D asset for them. I almost don't care at this point how our F in camp look (either camp). The big picture is so bleak looking (The Kuhn? Sill? Payerl?) that the ONLY conclusion I can arrive at is, this is by design. They're passing on F prospects because they don't want the risk. They're never going to pick early enough (even at pick 8) to get a can't miss F prospect, so they go for the kids with the huge upside and if it works out fine and if it doesn't fine. Macaroni is one of those picks IMO. They take flyers on skilled guys that have slid down the rankings just in case, but they focus on the D.

But Yohe is still a dewshball for writing that article the way he did, before these guys have ever played a single game in black and gold. :laugh:

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I don't care what position they draft. I would not mind if they drafted all defensemen every year. As long as Shero hits on the guys he drafts is all that matters. It is easy to trade defenseman for other positions of need. Since the top 2 center positions are filled for the next decade and our top 4 wingers are also here for the next 4 years (Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, and Bennett) the Pens don't have an urgent need for top 6 help for several years.

Now defense is a different story with only Letang, Scuderi, and Martin on the team after this season of the vets. So guys like Despres, Bortuzzo, Dumoulin, and Sammuelsson will have to be ready to fill in those 4, 5, 6, and 7th defenseman spots a year from now. Two years from now Martin will be gone and we will need another defenseman prospect to step into that top 7 mix which will most likely be Harrington. 3 years from now I could see the Pens trading a defenseman to make room for Matta and/or Pouliot. This will be like the Whitney or Goligoski type trade or trades that will bring back a good top 6 forward like Kunitz or Neal types. Trading a defenseman while he is still a prospect is bad asset management like we did with Morrow but my guess is that Shero and his staff soured on Morrow. The thing about Shero is that he seems to never trade a prospect that turns out, Caputi comes to mind. Shero makes assessments and moves fast on these types of things and trades while they still have good value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad