Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be a GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

The Rangers need to make hockey trades. Get out of the star search business. Get out of the free agent business.

to EDM................................ ......to NYR
Michael Del Zotto (D)................Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (LW)
2013 3rd round pick.................Jeff Petry (D)
..................................................2013 2nd round pick (#37)

C:
Stepan
Brassard
Richards(?)
Boyle

LW:
Kreider
Paajarvi
Hagelin
Pyatt
Haley

RW:
Nash
Callahan
Zuccarello
Dorsett
Asham

D:
McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Stralman
Moore
Petry
Eminger

G:
Lundqvist
Biron

Assuming we buyout Richards, we will need another center. We may have to go into free agency. If Weiss takes a short-term deal at a good annual price, maybe him. Would 3 years 15 million get it done? Would you take Weiss at a 5 million cap hit for 3 years? 20 goal, 50+ point player.

Here's the report on Petry:
"Petry is a smart two-way defenseman who is an excellent skater with good mobility, which he uses to shut down opponents. He plays with an edge and can lay out some good hits. He also doesn’t mind battling in front of the net. Offensively, Petry has a cannon for a point shot, but often uses a wrist shot so that it does not get blocked and does not allow the goaltender to set up. Likes to use his skating and stick skills to make accurate passes out of the zone or to skate the puck up himself, which he has the speed and stickhandling to do. He steadily improved as the seasons wore on and brings a strong mix of size, skill and awareness."

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The only reason to go to Carolina is because of his brothers. Eric got his knee banged up by Edler in the WC. He was very lucky it wasn't a torn ACL. Jordan played in the WC too. He is now home watching his former team reach the conference finals. Will Carolina be better playing in a tougher division from now on? Is that team competing for the playoffs next season or will they be out it before the trading deadline? How does Jordan feel about his decision now? That's a budget team. Everything needs to break right for them to be successful. That's hard. The Canes made the playoffs once since winning the Cup in 2006. That was in 2009 when they lost in the ECF to Pittsburgh. Carolina upset Boston in the 2nd round.

This is exactly why I think Staal to Carolina is no slam dunk. Carolina has some nice pieces now. Will they consistently be a cap team to retain all those pieces? Will they be as competitive in the new Division which is significantly tougher than the southeast?

Eric and Jordan have their Cups. Checked off the bucket list. What does Marc ultimately value? Maybe family and if so good for him. But what about the hardware?

SupersonicMonkey*

Just 20 from top of my head.

Erik Karlsson
Zdeno Chara
Shea Weber
Ryan Suter
Drew Doughty
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - NO
Alex Pietrangelo - NO
Kris Letang - NO
Duncan Keith
Brent Seabrook - NO
Dan Hamhuis - NO
Dion Phaneuf - NO
Tobias Enstrom - NO
Ryan McDonagh
Marc Eduord-Vlasic - NO
PK Subban - NO
Andrei Markov - NO
Mike Green - NO
Victor Hedman
Niklas Kronwall - NO

Edits above.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's actually 5th overall.

I think Tlusty/McBain/1st is fair, personally. Maybe take McBain out.

Faulk I doubt will be moved. It's more of a sideways step than anything for Carolina if they make that move.

I like McBain as a player, but looking forward, I don't see where he fits. Also not a huge fan of Tlusty. Riding coattails.

As for the rest of this mess my number one priority is a defenseman (preferably a righty) who can run the power play. That would make the offense half a goal a game better. Looking around the league it seems that any deal is going to have to be a value for value move which I am OK with. Fix the power play and you fix the offense.

110% agree. With a good PP comes confidence. With confidence, comes more even strength goals.

I'd be fine with that. We need all 3 of those: Scoring winger, 1st rounder, and a RH O-D. This D core needs a righty that can provide offense, and we are set for years.

Murphy would be the better option, IMO. They should be looking for a mean power forward if they move Staal. If Tlusty has to come back, they should look to flip him for Kassian + or something along those lines.

Why Tlusty?
Edit: he is a 3rd liner shooting 20%, he won't sustain it. His value will never get higher. It's downhill from here.

I am not a fan.

He gets a lot of high percentage chances, i.e bang-bang plays and rebounds. He is one of the better finishers in the league, and he's a very good two-way player.

I'm probably a bigger fan of Tlusty than most, but I think he's going to be a 25-30 goal player moving forward, with potential for more when paired with elite players.

He does, but that is because people set him up. Like I said, if he is included, swap him out for a power forward.

Well Faulk did have more points than Staal this season so he's clearly a better player.

Something about Tlusty scares me. I can see him coming here and barely breaking 15 goals. If I'm trading Staal I want a good top-6 forward coming back.

Agreed, or I want a young top-9 power forward who can effect a game in multiple ways + a young RHD puck mover.

Why havent we made them give up Ryan Murphy yet???

No idea. The kid is going to be dynamite offensively.

Tlusty is an alright piece for a tweener I guess. You've got to surround him with star players to get the most out of him though. He's shockingly transitioned into a nice 2-way guy.

Not a fan.

Perhaps they don't want to move Murphy or maybe the Rangers aren't interested. My only viewing of him was in the WJC and he was god awful.

My guess? Carolina doesn't want to move him as Faulk's offense has not transitioned as of yet to the NHL level and they see Murphy as one of their only offensive d-men in their organization. All the more reason to request he be included.

We should be interested if he could be had. Slats needs to turn over some stones here.

Ryan Murphy undoubtedly have the raw ability. He is an extremely dynamic young D, and almost only matched by E Karlsson and Brodin in some areas (his skating and stickhandling, he is especially not just able to rush the puck (many kids can do that at the junior level) but he got that ability to just skate 8s around people). People can trash him all they want for his WJC's showing, RM was awsome in several games but got the blame when Canada as a team failed. I also saw some of him in the U18 WJC's, and he scored 2 PPG's in that tournament.

In the end, I think, that all that matters with a kid like that is to give him a really good environment to succeed in. We really have a set table for a kid like that. We have been waiting for him for decades.

My point is just, we have an extremely flawed transition game, we have an extremely flawed puck-possession game, we have one of the worst PP's -- due to Torts system. When Torts had success in Tampa, the game was very diffrent etc. And, he also had one of the best PMD's in the game in Dan Boyle, and one of the best puck possession forwards in Martin St Louis. There have been talk about if Torts can change, that talk is somewhat irrelevant because a change isn't made over a summer. It takes years to implement these stuff. And Torts is probably not very good at implementing break out's etc., he has coached for a quite long time without ever using them. But a big advantage with Torts is that he won't cripple his players as long as they don't screw up. Hence we might be able to cover for some of Torts flaws with a certain type of players. Ryan Murphy fits that bill perfectly.

This. Murphy has the hockey IQ and skating ability to really have an impact on the game at the NHL level. Pair him with McIlrath or McDonagh and let him do his thing.

Dan Boyle? SJ isn't giving him away for cheap. He is 37 and has a huge cap hit. What are the Rangers trading for him? SJ wanted young assets at the deadline.

Brent Burns is a right winger these days. He hasn't played D in months. Burns plays on Thornton's wing. SJ traded their top prospect,top six forward and a #1 pick for Burns. The Rangers can't afford that after forking over 4 assets for Nash.

Another guy is this Bobby Ryan. The Rangers already have a fat and lazy overpriced winger in Nash. They don't need another one. Bob Murray wanted a kings ransom for Ryan last summer. The Rangers can't afford another multiple asset trade for another winger.

The Rangers need to make hockey trades. Get out of the star search business. Get out of the free agent business.

Boyle would be a terrible move. Short-sighted.

Agreed on Ryan. No need. This team needs another high quality center and a high quality RHD PMD.

Agree. That's the player I'd want from Carolina.

Agreed.

Chicago rebuilt their depth with young players. Saad, Shaw. Kruger. Leddy(acquired in trade w/Johnsson for Barker). They acquired Stallberg in the Versteeg trade. Skille for Frolik. Kruger and Frolik have formed the best PK pair in the NHL. Frolik was an offensive player in FLA. He is a role player with the Hawks. Bickell was a pick from 2004. Took him a while to figure it out. No free agents signed to 3 year contracts. No Mike Rupps. No Pyatts and Ashams. 2 year deals for them.

This. It needs to happen soon.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Chicago rebuilt their depth with young players. Saad, Shaw. Kruger. Leddy(acquired in trade w/Johnsson for Barker). They acquired Stallberg in the Versteeg trade. Skille for Frolik. Kruger and Frolik have formed the best PK pair in the NHL. Frolik was an offensive player in FLA. He is a role player with the Hawks. Bickell was a pick from 2004. Took him a while to figure it out. No free agents signed to 3 year contracts. No Mike Rupps. No Pyatts and Ashams. 2 year deals for them.

I agree a youth movement in the bottom six would help...but Chicago also has 4 top line forwards to spread through their lineup. The Rangers have one. Maybe 1-3 nex tier guys. You have that kind of top end skill and the rest can work itself out to an extent.

Pens have Pascal frigging Dupuis and Chris Kunitz playing key roles. Both would be the equivalent of Wojtek Wolski on the Rangers.

Young, hungry legs are never a bad thing though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Good points.

Maloney, while maybe not being the best drafter in the league, has built a competetive team (that went as far as we did last season) while operating with an extreme budget with trades like that. Guys like Vrbata, Hanzal, Robert freakin Lang, Whitney, Langkow and co have been core for them.

But, we are not in a position to just fill empty sweaters. We have like nothing. We need to build a game. We have no offense, no defense cept Hank, no PK and no PP.

I do agree with almost all you said. Unfurtunately I am of the opinion that in today's NHL you can't win without good system (puck movement and transition) and PP, even though you have all the talent in the world and the best goalie to boot. The good system with slightly worse players beats the bad (Torts') system with better players. That is the reason I do not put much hope into the debate (and its results) whether we acquire this guy or that one, because it loses its meaning. All we can acquire is the best available player, other teams will therefore get slightly lesser players. But once incorporater into better systems, they win.

You might be right.

People can say what they want about Jacques Lemaire, but he has a good hockey mind (but he failed to adjust like most great coaches do sooner or later).

He tried to trap trap in Minny. Real 1-3-1 trapping. After the red-line offside rule was removed. The problem was, as we now know, that the game today is not about "not" making misstakes. Its about carrying the momentum. The team that have the puck:

(1) creates scoring chances because you can't clutch and grab,

(2) draws penalties because sooner or later D's end up on the wrong side and you can't recover when you can't hook/clutch/grab,

(3) does not defend because they are at the other side of the rink.

The scale just tipped over for the true trapping teams. Minny looked decent and was a hard team to beat, but when the PO's started and they played the better teams, they were just always on the receiving end and you win very few games being on the receiving end in the game today. You must have the puck and carry the momentum.

So what did this great hockey mind Jacques Lemaire do? Yes, he tried to adjust. He thought: How can we play with great defensive marginals, while still winning the momentum battle? He came up with an answer, we must get -- puck moving defensemens --.

Minny's top 6 in JLs last year there was:
1. Kim Johnsson
2. Brent Burns
3. Marek Zidlicky
4. Nick Schultz
5. Martin Skoula
6. Marc-Andre Bergeron (avg almost 17 minutes a night for 72 games, so he played alot too)

That is 5 offensive minded Ds, and a 2-way D in Schultz (Schultz is definitely not a defensiveminded D).

In modern times, nobody have even remotely iced such offensive minded blueline before or after.

But it wasn't enough. I thought his approch was interesting, and I saw them play several times that season. They where still good defensively, two goalise in the top 5 in sv% and GAA, but they too often lost the momentum battle against the better teams. Their offense was built on not having the puck, not keeping it within the team, and it just didn't work.

Anyway, I still think its worth trying something than keeping status que, that's for sure. Torts is diffrent than JL in one way, he would never tell a player that does something that works to change. Sometimes it seems like Torts can like get to the Girardi types, make them change completely (Girardi used to have a good first pass and his creative passing under pressure where his biggest strength his first years in NY for those who remember), but Prospal liked Torts and Torts liked Prospal, no matter if Prospal played the game completely diffrent than Torts want in certain areas. Dan Boyle never rifled the puck the length of the ice in Tampa.

The best teams like Boston play their game no matter who is on the ice. Its not about the players, they have a game plan and they follow it. They have set plays to get up ice. They ask the same no matter what role a player have, its not rocket science but a matter of a ton of drilling and having a structure in place already. But it would at least help us to have more D's who could move the puck by themselves and centers, like Brassard for example, who can hold on to the puck.

BTW, I always think of Jacques Lemaire when I see comments about how Torts possibly couldn't be a bad coach since he won a Cup in Tampa. Jacques Lemaire was a part of eleven Stanley Cup Winning teams. Eleven. He is the founding father of the only non-star driven Dynasty in the NHL since the 70's, the NJD's. He coached six seasons in the NHL after the redline offside rule was removed and still tried to 1-3-1 trap which made it completely impossible for his team to win anything. No other coach in this league would come up with the idea to 1-3-1 trap in the NHL today. You have to back down so far that you give up all offense while doing it. It is extremely hard for a successful coach to adjust, there are a ton of examples of this.

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

one player i want as an UFA is Dustin Penner.. the big guy always shows up in the playoffs.... he would be a great addition to this NYR team and has much needed size and uses it when he keeps his feet moving...

any chance Sather signs him on July 5???

i want both Dustin Penner and Bryan Bickell as UFA signings.. i laugh at those fans that want Briere if he gets bought out.. another small forward.. let him go to the Habs.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
one player i want as an UFA is Dustin Penner.. the big guy always shows up in the playoffs.... he would be a great addition to this NYR team and has much needed size and uses it when he keeps his feet moving...

i want both Dustin Penner and Bryan Bickell as UFA signings.. i laugh at those fans that want Briere if he gets bought out.. another small forward.. let him go to the Habs.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Penner would be a trainwreck here.

Championship*

Those are both awful ideas

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm fairly confident that Lindberg and Fast/Miller will shore up the 3rd line in the next 18 months. They're all defensively responsible and play their ***** off on each shift.

Like RB said, it's time for another hockey trade. Get out of the FA business.

IMO, McBain should be a target regardless of whether or not Staal is going to Carolina. Classic change-of-scenery candidate.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Chicago drafted Kane and Toews. They signed Hossa to the free agent contract in 2009. Dale Tallon stole Sharp from Philly. Bolland was a draft pick. The Hawks don't have a true 2nd line center. Sharp and Kane have played there but they're wingers. Down the middle its Toews,Bolland,Shaw and Kruger. Handzus is also a center. Quenneville coached him in STL too. They had to gut the team after winning the Cup because of the cap. They used trades and player development to rebuild their depth. There is no reason why the Rangers can't do the same thing and stay away from free agency. Even if you look at Boston. Paille,Horton and Campbell came in trades. Horton and Campbell came in the same trade. Kelly and Peverley came in trades. Bergeron,Krejci,Marchand, Lucic and Seguin came from the draft. Seguin came from the Kessel trade. The other 4 players weren't first rounders. All of them are top players. Boston doesn't have the true #1 center. They won in 2011. There are many ways to build a team. Stepan and Brassard are good players. The Rangers have Miller,Lindberg and eventually Nieves to add at center. Build the team. They have Nash and Callahan. Hagelin. Kreider. Trade DZ for a forward. Give some of kids an opportunity. I would trade Boyle for a young bottom six player. Boyle had a good playoff. Move him. Stay away from the free agents.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I'm fairly confident that Lindberg and Fast/Miller will shore up the 3rd line in the next 18 months. They're all defensively responsible and play their ***** off on each shift.

Like RB said, it's time for another hockey trade. Get out of the FA business.

IMO, McBain should be a target regardless of whether or not Staal is going to Carolina. Classic change-of-scenery candidate.

You watch Chicago and Boston. How they are built. Deep teams. They have their one free agent in Hossa and Chara. They add a piece here. Another piece here. Boston acquired Boychuk and McQuaid for nothing. Right handed shots. Bartkowski came in the same deal with Seidenberg. They had Bartkowski to step in while the Rangers had Hamrlik claimed off of waivers.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Look at Boston. Deep, 2-way centers down the middle, size on the wings. They put big guys who can punish the other team on the wings to keep their game simple and allow them to wreak havoc in the offensive zone. Lucic. Horton. Marchand (not big, but feisty). Campbell. Thornton.

The Rangers need depth down the middle. With Stepan and Brassard that's a good start. Boyle is a good 4th line center but he needs wingers who can create and who add speed. Prust and Fedotenko were exactly that.

The Rangers need to add size to their wings. Nash, Kreider, Callahan. That's a good start. Hagelin is a good player, he is, ideally, a 3rd line wing. Zuccarello? Where does he fit if that is the mold? Ideally, in this more aggressive system, he would be paired with a player like Boyle as his center who can wreak some havoc in the offensive zone. MZA is not a 4th liner.

Pyatt? Very soft, adds some size. Powe? No offense to speak of.

They need to add size and an ability to push teams back and keep them there. This system requires depth and the ability to keep rolling guys over the boards who can sustain a forecheck and control the puck in the offensive zone. The Rangers did that last year.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You watch Chicago and Boston. How they are built. Deep teams. They have their one free agent in Hossa and Chara. They add a piece here. Another piece here. Boston acquired Boychuk and McQuaid for nothing. Right handed shots. Bartkowski came in the same deal with Seidenberg. They had Bartkowski to step in while the Rangers had Hamrlik claimed off of waivers.

Yep, I agree. Rangers chase star power while other teams grow their own stars. Boston is a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts. They roll four competitive lines. Chicago can roll four competitive lines. All great teams have the depth that the Rangers continue to sacrifice in order to put big names on the backs of the jerseys.

UFA's come here and have nothing to play for. Kids want to prove themselves. That's the difference.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Why Tlusty?
Edit: he is a 3rd liner shooting 20%, he won't sustain it. His value will never get higher. It's downhill from here.

OR

His stats have continued to trend upwards with his development and increased ice time.

He's always been known as an offensively gifted player, now that he's matured as a player the numbers are there.

Kid is still JUST 25 years old.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Look at Boston. Deep, 2-way centers down the middle, size on the wings. They put big guys who can punish the other team on the wings to keep their game simple and allow them to wreak havoc in the offensive zone. Lucic. Horton. Marchand (not big, but feisty). Campbell. Thornton.

The Rangers need depth down the middle. With Stepan and Brassard that's a good start. Boyle is a good 4th line center but he needs wingers who can create and who add speed. Prust and Fedotenko were exactly that.

The Rangers need to add size to their wings. Nash, Kreider, Callahan. That's a good start. Hagelin is a good player, he is, ideally, a 3rd line wing. Zuccarello? Where does he fit if that is the mold? Ideally, in this more aggressive system, he would be paired with a player like Boyle as his center who can wreak some havoc in the offensive zone. MZA is not a 4th liner.

Pyatt? Very soft, adds some size. Powe? No offense to speak of.

They need to add size and an ability to push teams back and keep them there. This system requires depth and the ability to keep rolling guys over the boards who can sustain a forecheck and control the puck in the offensive zone. The Rangers did that last year.

We can talk all day about how the Rangers should be trying to emulate the Bruins. I just keep coming back to the Rangers not having good enough players.

Right off the bat, at center, will Stepan and Brassard be as good as Bergeron and Krejci? Maybe. Maybe not.

Punxrocknyc19*

Those are both awful ideas

They would add much needed size on the wings... something NYR needs badly... very rarely a team full of small players go far into the playoffs... look at the last few cup winners from the past.. Bruins Penguins Hawks all big teams when they won the cup....

Championship*

They would add much needed size on the wings... something NYR needs badly... very rarely a team full of small players go far into the playoffs... look at the last few cup winners from the past.. Bruins Penguins Hawks all big teams when they won the cup....

Both those players would be train wrecks here. Easy to see.

Bardof425*

There is too much to say and too little time...

A lot of you guys :laugh::laugh::lol::lol::biglaugh::biglaugh: with some of the crazy proposals in the last thread: Del Zotto and a throw in for Yakupov? Meanwhile, while Girardi's stock was high, and finally rebuffed on Taylor Hall (not as to value but because he's their face of the franchise) I had more credible Girardi + for Yakupov, only to get flamed here.

:teach::teach2:
Those who do not learn the lesson of going 1 or 2 steps backwards to have a good enough shot at 5+ steps forwards, are dooming the club to continued suffering. We gambled and lost on Clowe, who was not a good investment, because of his footspeed, and now minus the picks we are trying to make the best of the situation.

That said, here are my latest thoughts.

We need a comprehensive strategy that moves out vets, adds younger talent that can grow as we stay ahead of being under the cap.

Repeat after me: THERE ARE NO SACRED COWS. THERE ARE NO SACRED COWS. THERE ARE NO SACRED COWS.

Ok, fire Torts, that's easy. Sullivan + Gernander as bench/assistant are fine in either order. But the real coach is our captain, Ryan Callahan.

Hank -- It will be obvious what we are doing. Offer him a base of 5 mil/yr + bonuses, which kick in with performance but also is a way of paying him most of what is not spent on getting up to the full cap. We make it open ended, only 1 year, for 7 years, he can buy out of his contract anytime for $1, but he has to give us one full year's notice.

Trades:
The AVs will not flip the 1st to us for "the 5th +". They want nothing less than McDonagh from us, or Hedman from TB, etc. They want lefties, but not Staal. They may be having second thoughts, but because they are deep at C, LD should do it.

I've come to the conclusion that the smart thing to do would be take McKinnon with the first pick overall. It is not clear if he will need the same time Tavares did, but this could be the guy, in short while, who would not only be a sniper in a pinch, but a serious 1C. Possibly better than anybody we can expect except Malkin if he comes, and adding a guy like McKinnon as a protege under him might encourage Malkin to consider us more seriously.

They don't want to throw him in, but I believe we can also pry like 8th overall Duncan Siemens with the 1st if we add another useful lefty, Del Zotto. There may be a thought to balance them not as a pair (i.e., one puck mover, one stay at home) but the thought of Siemens - McIlrath is totally kick ass.

So trade 1: McDonagh + MDZ for the 1st (McKinnon) + Siemens
[Also, if McD wants to head out to the heartland for personal reasons, COL would be closer than NY.]

Trade 2: Staal/Staal + to CAR for 5th overall + Y

Trade 3: Stepan + CAR for 5th overall to FL for 2nd overall + Z
With McK in the fold Stepan is enough to land a pick which gets Jones.
It is expected Z will obviously be nice prospects and/or high future FL pick
Tallon's gotta like a 1C and that high pick

Trade 4: Brian Boyle + Christian Thomas + Taylor Pyatt + Calle Andersson
to CBH
for Dylan Olsen, Mark McNeil, Pat Beach + Adam Clendenning + one of Rangers 3 thirds this year. Rangers may have to further add, slightly.

Olsen, a lefty shot, is listed as RD, but I expect can adjust if needed Clendenning righty shot RD. Beach is short term project, big, strong bust but cheap filler for a year. McNeil a legit first, but is coming along slowly needs seasoning.

Hawks do this cause Boyle is a nice fall back to lower 6, Thomas + Anderson are nice picks, Pyatt better filler if needed more likely a cap dump, cheap to another team for a 6th/7th. And the best of our 3rds in a deep draft is good value.

Trade 5: Girardi + and a future Ranger 2nd to TOR for future Maple Leafs 1st and Gardiner
Kinda obvious, no explanations necessary.

Trade 6: McNeil + Stralman + Eminger + Newbury to Edmonton for a lefty D prospects Oscar Klefbom (1st rounder), Martin Marincin (2nd rounder), and Martin Gernat (5th rounder) + 2nd round C Tyler Pitlick
McNeil and Klefborm are close overalll, Klef being 19th overall in 2011, and McN one ahead that year. Stralman is a solid 4, Eminger a solid 6/7, and they are righties, which are in short supply, so there is some nominal value added. Newbury adds grit.
Edmonton gets a legit 3C w2C potential available soon, 1 D who definitely makes the roster now, another who competes, a likely 4th liner who provides grit Oiler fans complain about not having.

Rangers have better upside, but unclear as to how fast these picks are here, though Klefbom + Marincin are likely for this year.

-------------

Clowe do not re-sign, Clowe of 5 years ago, ok, but this was desperate gamble, he's got jam, but losing footspeed. Most importantly, he'd cost a future 2nd. Just say no.

Richards. Make an effort -- Slats this is you --- to see if some kind of exception can be agreed to between NHLPA + league, either as to just Richards, or more realistically, to all similar scenarios.

If yes, then trade for best return.
If no, then keep as possible 4C for 1 yr or do a Redden then amnesty him.

Why not amnesty now?
I would be open to that, but unless you really use that buyout for good free agent signings, then it makes more biz sense in long run to amnesty next year and save both cap + $$ if I understand the figures correctly.

With moving all these guys who were soon due for raises, etc, we should have enough cap space to sign a couple of UFAs if we want. I say if Chicago passes on Bickell and Stralberg, sign both BUT ONLY FOR 1 YEAR. They may consider that if Rangers have shot to win, and NY offers high profile, and they can, after only next year, having shown this season was not a fluke, get really set up for a serious payday, they may consider the one year gamble for increased payout.

I would also look now at grooming Randy McNaught for the 4L RW after Asham. Just to see if he could cut the 5-6 min per night. I don't say he's got the D skills and his development has been interrupted. But he is big, hits like a truck, would do serious corner checking, drop the gloves.

Now, guess what all that gets ya!

F:
Hagelin, McKinnon Nash
Kreider Brassard Callahan
Bickel Miller Stalberg
Beach Lindberg Asham
Powe Haley Dorset

Yogan Pitlick Fast
and other prospect core (NIeves, Noreau, etc. still good)
I would also like to see Kreider a few extra shifts experimenting at C, but only on a super speed line: Hagelin, Miller Cally Stralberg as wingers.

And the D:
LD RD
Moore Jones
Gardiner Clendenning
Klefbom Olsen
Marincin Gernat
Siemens - McIlrath

G:
Lundqvist
Talbot
I think we go younger, start grooming Talbot, see what Blues want for Jake Allen, who may be #3 over there

Oh yeah, and we upgraded our future 2nd to a Maple Leaf 1st.

Only thing not nailed down is exactly what Tallon will want with the 5th overall for the 2nd overall. But obviously, we should be able to swing it!

:D:yo::handclap::amazed::handclap:

The resulting team sucks for the foreseeable future. It may become good when Hank starts to decline. A complete waste of time.

Bardof425*

Justin Faulk is a better player than Marc Staal right now.

I'm better than Marc Staal RIGHT NOW since he can't play due to injury. If you are saying that Faulk is better when Marc is healthy, no way.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I would have no problem with adding Bryan Bickell depending on the contract.. Thats a kind of 3rd liner that we need to add.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
OR

His stats have continued to trend upwards with his development and increased ice time.

He's always been known as an offensively gifted player, now that he's matured as a player the numbers are there.

Kid is still JUST 25 years old.

From watching him a bit, I just don't see him continuing with that production.

We can talk all day about how the Rangers should be trying to emulate the Bruins. I just keep coming back to the Rangers not having good enough players.

Right off the bat, at center, will Stepan and Brassard be as good as Bergeron and Krejci? Maybe. Maybe not.

I think Stepan has a very high ceiling. I think he can become what they are. Not sure about Brassard.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Tlusty has insane chemistry with Eric Staal and Semin. Some of the plays that line can make is absolutely astounding. I wouldn't bet on him being as productive here.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Tlusty has insane chemistry with Eric Staal and Semin. Some of the plays that line can make is absolutely astounding. I wouldn't bet on him being as productive here.

No, but he is one of those players you can count on being useful anywhere. He has speed, kills penalties, ect.

I mean Tlusty+McBain+5th overall seems like a no-brainer to me, but maybe I am just undervaluing Marc or overvaluing the player who might be available at #5.

Bardof425*

to EDM................................ ......to NYR
Michael Del Zotto (D)................Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (LW)
2013 3rd round pick.................Jeff Petry (D)
..................................................2013 2nd round pick (#37)

C:
Stepan
Brassard
Richards(?)
Boyle

LW:
Kreider
Paajarvi
Hagelin
Pyatt
Haley

RW:
Nash
Callahan
Zuccarello
Dorsett
Asham

D:
McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Stralman
Moore
Petry
Eminger

G:
Lundqvist
Biron

Assuming we buyout Richards, we will need another center. We may have to go into free agency. If Weiss takes a short-term deal at a good annual price, maybe him. Would 3 years 15 million get it done? Would you take Weiss at a 5 million cap hit for 3 years? 20 goal, 50+ point player.

Here's the report on Petry:
"Petry is a smart two-way defenseman who is an excellent skater with good mobility, which he uses to shut down opponents. He plays with an edge and can lay out some good hits. He also doesn’t mind battling in front of the net. Offensively, Petry has a cannon for a point shot, but often uses a wrist shot so that it does not get blocked and does not allow the goaltender to set up. Likes to use his skating and stick skills to make accurate passes out of the zone or to skate the puck up himself, which he has the speed and stickhandling to do. He steadily improved as the seasons wore on and brings a strong mix of size, skill and awareness."

Oscar Lindberg will be a center on this team next year. Maybe not right out of camp, but I think he will slot in right behind Step and Brass by December the latest. I would not spend money on Weiss with this kid so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad