2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm willing to give him some more time to snap out of this. He was a very solid d-man before his injury, and has played how many games since? Not many... You guys are being too hard on him, IMO.

We can't give Tallinder that time. Maybe we could if it was March and we're fifteen points up on a playoff spot, but that would also be after the trade deadline and too late to alleviate this 'eight defensemen for six spots' merry-go-round.

They probably feel obligated to give him that time, because he got screwed last year with the blood clot but sitting starters on a nightly basis is a joke.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There's a huge anti-fayne crowd on twitter. Don't understand it at all as he's a very solid defenseman. He'll get back in soon and play well. No doubt about it...

CORSI man, how can you like Fayne over Tally? Have you seen his CORSI?!?! :sarcasm:

I never got the twitter Fayne hate. He works hard and does so many little things right. He won't make the highlight reels often, but he is very solid.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I'm willing to give him some more time to snap out of this. He was a very solid d-man before his injury, and has played how many games since? Not many... You guys are being too hard on him, IMO.

Problem is someone has to sit since our 3rd best dman is in the press box and the team is better with him playing than not. Then it becomes essentially Volch vs Tallinder since Sal has the C strapped to him and the bench. Petey likes Volch and his PKing and it's inefficiencies this year so what can you do.

Hope Lou makes a move soon to clear that logjam cause I don't even know if it helps any at this point.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was hard on Fayne during that Carolina game when he took that dumb penalty. I said sit him the rest of the game cause I didn't think his head was in the right place cause he had the death of his grandmother I think.

I NEVER said to bench him for a game though. I said forget about it once the game is over. Then one lousy turnover against the Flyers, and he's benched?

Not to bring Volch into this, but he never got scratched for that turnover against the Pens. Not saying I want him too either. You know what I want? I want one of these defensemen purged. Tallinder might be the easiest.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's tough because he has been so dreadful, but I really like Tally as a dude. Always seemed light-hearted and down to Earth. Still...sit his ass down.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's tough because he has been so dreadful, but I really like Tally as a dude. Always seemed light-hearted and down to Earth. Still...sit his ass down.

Eric Boulton seemed like a nice guy too from what I've heard.

Tallinder has become as putrid as Eric Boulton. At least Barch has been been serviceable!:laugh:

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Its not Tallinder's fault when we only have one goal (now two)

thats like saying we need goaltending because we lost 1-0

No it is his fault and only his fault when he gets beat by one or even by two players he is attempting to cover or cone... He's done here he's playing like crap. We need to move him now because Fayne at 1.5 or whatever is much better than Tallinder at 3.4 end of story. It also just so happens that the Devils are better with Fayne in rather than with him out.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Eric Boulton seemed like a nice guy too from what I've heard.

Tallinder has become as putrid as Eric Boulton. At least Barch has been been serviceable!:laugh:

Boulton screwed himself in the Detroit game last year we never saw him in a devils uniform again after that, (THANK GOD)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Normally I'd agree with you but in our too many Dmen situation, having a guy who is more than capable of doing a solid job on the ice, sitting in the press box, it doesn't sit so well when the screw up margin is apparently so small and Tallinder has unfortunately done a lot of that

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Boulton screwed himself in the Detroit game last year we never saw him in a devils uniform again after that, (THANK GOD)

Haha what did he do in that game? I can't remember, but I do remember the article with TG before the game. Where he was hoping to make an impression tonight, and show he can play in the playoffs!:laugh:

Tallinder's $3.4 is not gonna cut it next year. Lou will try whatever he can to dump him. If all else fails then he'll pull one of the get out of jail free cards on him. We absolutely cannot have him on our caproll next year. He's not worth that money.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Haha what did he do in that game? I can't remember, but I do remember the article with TG before the game. Where he was hoping to make an impression tonight, and show he can play in the playoffs!:laugh:

Tallinder's $3.4 is not gonna cut it next year. Lou will try whatever he can to dump him. If all else fails then he'll pull one of the get out of jail free cards on him. We absolutely cannot have him on our caproll next year. He's not worth that money.

IIRC he got a double minor for either a spear or a high stick he was benched after that as it was so far behind in the play smh... and yes hopefully lou can dump him to a team that needs swiss cheese traffic cones... :D

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Tallinder has played in 10 games this season. He has 1 goal, 1 assist, and is +/- 0. Last season he was injured for most of the season.
Last season, in Parise's first 10 games, he had 4 goals, 1 assist and was -4. The season prior, he was injured. We probably should have traded him at that point, too.
Salvador's first 10 games last year, he had 0 points, and was -5. The season prior, he was injured. We probably should have traded him at that point, too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was hard on Fayne during that Carolina game when he took that dumb penalty. I said sit him the rest of the game cause I didn't think his head was in the right place cause he had the death of his grandmother I think.

I NEVER said to bench him for a game though. I said forget about it once the game is over. Then one lousy turnover against the Flyers, and he's benched?

Not to bring Volch into this, but he never got scratched for that turnover against the Pens. Not saying I want him too either. You know what I want? I want one of these defensemen purged. Tallinder might be the easiest.

Volch was benched that game. I just don't get the reasoning behind all of this at all. When Larsson finally got in and Fayne returned from his injury the defense really started rolling. Greene and Larsson turned into a legit top pair, and Fayne was helping Volch look better. The breakouts looked good too. It slowed down against the Canes but overall we played bad and the PK was the biggest problem. Bad 1st period against the Flyers, but they shut it down in the 2nd and 3rd. Then Fayne sat and Tally came in and we just **** the bed, PK, break outs, defense all looked miles worse.

I've said it before. It isn't ALL because Fayne is some amazing Lindstrom type player, or even that Tally is THAT bad (He was that bad tonight, but he was passable against Ottawa). The bigger problem was the switch really screwed the pairings up under Larsson and Greene. You are sticking a slower, inferior Dman with Volch, which only helps make his shortcomings stand out, or we get the hell pairing of Sal-Volch.

Not to mention Tally getting more TOI then Larsson, that is just bizarre. Fayne helps even our the middle pair by helping out the slower dudes, which makes the team better since you don't have to rely on one pair to hold the zone or break out.

apice3*

Tallinder has played in 10 games this season. He has 1 goal, 1 assist, and is +/- 0. Last season he was injured for most of the season.
Last season, in Parise's first 10 games, he had 4 goals, 1 assist and was -4. The season prior, he was injured. We probably should have traded him at that point, too.
Salvador's first 10 games last year, he had 0 points, and was -5. The season prior, he was injured. We probably should have traded him at that point, too.

Have you honestly watched Tallinder and been impressed with him?

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
did you honestly watch salvador at the beginning of last season and been impressed with him? no, i haven't been impressed with tallinder. He hasn't been as bad as many are making him out to have been. But i sure as **** was impressed with salvador during the playoffs, and I'm willing to give Tallinder a shot at getting his **** together.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Salvador was nowhere near as bad last year as Tallinder is now. And Salvador was rusty early in the year. Tallinder didn't just start sucking after the injury either. He was garbage last season too.

apice3*

did you honestly watch salvador at the beginning of last season and been impressed with him? no, i haven't been impressed with tallinder. He hasn't been as bad as many are making him out to have been. But i sure as **** was impressed with salvador during the playoffs, and I'm willing to give Tallinder a shot at getting his **** together.

Who were we going to dress in Salvador's place last year? Salvador's awful play wasn't going to be swapped with Fraser's awful play.

Right now Tallinder's putrid game is costing Mark Fayne playing time. In a shortened season, games are so much more important than a full season. I don't want to be wasting games letting Tallinder figure himself out.

You can't possibly tell me that of the 8 d-men we have, Tallinder is among the top 6 this year.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
''Boy how awful Tallinder played! Gaffes that made the gif parade! Guys like Fayne don't have it made! Those were the days! And you thought Tallinder was gone then! Cones were cones and defensemen were defensemen! Mister we could use a man like Kurtis Foster again! Didn't need no defense played! Tallinder didn't even pull his weight! Gee our old PK was great! Those were the dayyyysssssss!''

Last edited:

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
You'll be happy he played all these garbage minutes when some team coughs up a 2nd round pick and a nearly-NHL ready prospect for him :razz: :sarcasm:

Also....

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov
Tried to ask Lamoriello about Kovalchuk, next year's Olympics etc... "Trust me, I have enough problems to worry about," he told me #NJD

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Right now Tallinder's putrid game is costing Mark Fayne playing time. In a shortened season, games are so much more important than a full season.
Last I checked, we were in 1st place in the East... :dunno:
You can't possibly tell me that of the 8 d-men we have, Tallinder is among the top 6 this year.
Actually, I can. I think Tallinder is a better option, once he finds his game again, than Volchenkov. I also think having a Tallinder that has found his game again is a great asset to have. Look at how many players are injured already this season. Having someone better than Harrold would be key if Greene or Zidlicky went down, for instance. God forbid 2 d-men get injured.. And if we get to the trade deadline with everyone healthy, you can trade a top 4 dman for waaaaaaay more than a healthy scratch.

apice3*

I'd rather trade him for an roster player. Any quality top 9 player will do.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People say Tallinder is good depth because of injuries.

I've been saying this all off season, and still say it. What about our forward depth with injury? Alex Urbom, and Eric Gelinas are better replacements on defense than Joe Whitney, David Wohlberg, or Mike LOLffel on forward.

apice3*

Last I checked, we were in 1st place in the East... :dunno:

I know. I'm happy with the team. When the sky was falling for some posters last week, I kept pointing to the standings. That being said, dressing inferior players is one way to fall out of the standings. 4-2-4 with Tallinder, 9-2-1 with Fayne. Tallinder over him is senseless.

Actually, I can. I think Tallinder is a better option, once he finds his game again, than Volchenkov. I also think having a Tallinder that has found his game again is a great asset to have. Look at how many players are injured already this season. Having someone better than Harrold would be key if Greene or Zidlicky went down, for instance. God forbid 2 d-men get injured.. And if we get to the trade deadline with everyone healthy, you can trade a top 4 forward for waaaaaaay more than a healthy scratch.

I've seen the case against Volchenkov, and I still think he's better than Tallinder right now. Tallinder on his game is a good asset to have, I agree. It's a shame that we haven't ever seen Tallinder on his game aside from the 4 month stint with Lemaire.

As for the injuries, you have a 7th D-man for that purpose. You don't need any 8th. Right now we're carrying 1 extra forward in Matteau. With Carter out, what happens if another forward goes down, which is probably more likely considernig theres 12 forwards and only 6 d-men? We'd be force to dress Harrold in a 4th line role at a position we're alredy slim at.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Tallinder MUST be in then I'd rather go with 7 D, and get Fayne back in there. Tallinder just looks like Foster right now. He's probably more useless than Foster cause he isn't playing on the PP like Foster. Foster also never sniffed PK time either. On a struggling PK Tallinder is a liability.

Of course we could just put him back upstairs. I do not want him back in Saturday. Ovy and the boys will pass him around like a dirty magazine again.

I also know this. If we can't get rid of him for next season we need to do something. His $3.4 can't be taking up our books when we need to give raises to our forwards.

apice3*

Never understood the point of 7D personally, unless one is a specialst like Marc Andre Bergeron. Just seems like a product of indecisiveness.

I don't understand why Larsson isn't on the PK at all. I think he could get PP time too, but the fact that he doesn't kill penalties is mind boggling. He's one of our 2 or 3 best defenders, and he's #1 in terms of getting the puck out of the d-zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad