2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'd rather trade him for an roster player. Any quality top 9 player will do.

Much like last season with Zajac, I think the idea is to wait for Zubrus (and Carter) to get the lines back in oder.

Offensively, it seems pretty dreary - but we're actually scoring at the same rate we were last year. Both in goals and shots per game.
Zajac's shooting percentage is piss poor right now, something like 8.6% once that picks up to where it's supposed to be... we might even see an uptick in those numbers.

My personal take is that with Zubrus out, Barch in and CBGB playing 3rd line duties - nearly all of our lines are mismatched and our top guys are left overcompensating on the defensive side of things as opposed to being to focus on goal scoring like a top line should.

Have a 3rd/4th line that doesn't need to get bailed out so often on their shifts, and life will be a lot easier for our goal scorers.

I believe we have the ability to be a better team offensively than we were last year, despite the loss of Parise & Sykora.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm worried about the lack of Carter. It brings us to a 2 line team. BUT somehow we got a goal from a makeshift line of Poni-Loktionov-Gio. I'd almost put Gio, and Bernier with Barch until Carter is out. Matteau-Loktionov-Butler is worth a shot.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Why people complain about things they have zero control over ? Tallinder shouldn't play over Fayne, I think everyone is well aware of that now....

Look on the other hand, this condensed scheldule is going to be tough on everyone physically. If they keep 8 defence-men until the deadline that could be a blessing in disguise perhaps ? our guys (Kovalchuk aside ffs) could be particularly healthy for the playoffs.

This team certainly can play better but 24 pts in 17 games ain't that bad, we're getting closer to make the playoffs every week, then everything might happen.
Losing a top 3 forward is usually a major blow to any team. Things here could have been much worse than they are right now, get a look on the bright side sometimes.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Never understood the point of 7D personally, unless one is a specialst like Marc Andre Bergeron. Just seems like a product of indecisiveness.

I don't understand why Larsson isn't on the PK at all. I think he could get PP time too, but the fact that he doesn't kill penalties is mind boggling. He's one of our 2 or 3 best defenders, and he's #1 in terms of getting the puck out of the d-zone.

He was on the PK briefly during our 5 game win streak Larsson. And he was pretty good. About the 7 D I remember Sutter doing it a bunch, and even Lemaire might have done it. Maclean did it too (Not a good example!:laugh:)

Pete dressed 7 D last year because Foster was an incompetent hack. Tallinder is now an incompetent hack, and I think Pete knows it, and Stevens and Lou too. I feel having 8 defensemen will cost us Harrold next season. He's the perfect 7th defensemen, but has only gotten into 1 game out of 17 so far this year. If we didn't have 8, then there's a chance he may have played 4 by now.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why people complain about things they have zero control over ? Tallinder shouldn't play over Fayne, I think everyone is well aware of that now....

Look on the other hand, this condensed scheldule is going to be tough on everyone physically. If they keep 8 defence-men until the deadline that could be a blessing in disguise perhaps ? our guys (Kovalchuk aside ffs) could be particularly healthy for the playoffs.

This team certainly can play better but 24 pts in 17 games ain't that bad, we're getting closer to make the playoffs every week, then everything might happen.
Losing a top 3 forward is usually a major blow to any team. Things here could have been much worse than they are right now, get a look on the bright side sometimes.

Sorry, but until Pete stops using Tallinder, or at least on the PK I can't feel confident. Our PK is already struggling, and he's stinking up the joint on it. When we were 19 for 19 I don't even think Tallinder was seeing PK time.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm worried about the lack of Carter. It brings us to a 2 line team. BUT somehow we got a goal from a makeshift line of Poni-Loktionov-Gio. I'd almost put Gio, and Bernier with Barch until Carter is out. Matteau-Loktionov-Butler is worth a shot.

2 line team?

All taking Carter out does is shorten the leash on the 4th line. Namely Barch & Matteau.

Other than that, we have more than enough forwards to roll at least 3 solid lines.

Even in tonight's game, the even strength TOI was spread out fairly even.

Barch got 4 1/2, Matteau got 7
Everyone else had between 8 1/2 & 12 (only exception being Kovy @ 17)

That's pretty damn good for a 2 line team.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2 line team?

All taking Carter out does is shorten the leash on the 4th line. Namely Barch & Matteau.

Other than that, we have more than enough forwards to roll at least 3 solid lines.

Even in tonight's game, the even strength TOI was spread out fairly even.

Barch got 4 1/2, Matteau got 7
Everyone else had between 8 1/2 & 12 (only exception being Kovy @ 17)

That's pretty damn good for a 2 line team.
We definitely have 3 lines worth, but they're all mashed up.

I like Gio, and Bernier but I feel maybe they're better off with Barch until Carter gets back. Matteau-Loktionov-Butler might be a better 3rd line? Then again with Matteau only getting 7 minutes they probably won't do it.

The makeshift line looked good and actually got a goal though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Much like last season with Zajac, I think the idea is to wait for Zubrus (and Carter) to get the lines back in oder.

Offensively, it seems pretty dreary - but we're actually scoring at the same rate we were last year. Both in goals and shots per game.
Zajac's shooting percentage is piss poor right now, something like 8.6% once that picks up to where it's supposed to be... we might even see an uptick in those numbers.

My personal take is that with Zubrus out, Barch in and CBGB playing 3rd line duties - nearly all of our lines are mismatched and our top guys are left overcompensating on the defensive side of things as opposed to being to focus on goal scoring like a top line should.

Have a 3rd/4th line that doesn't need to get bailed out so often on their shifts, and life will be a lot easier for our goal scorers.

I believe we have the ability to be a better team offensively than we were last year, despite the loss of Parise & Sykora.

I think the question at the deadline becomes whether Lou thinks Loki and/or Butler can be a solid 3rd line with Zubs. Barring some fleecing with a Voltron like deal we most likely are not getting some top 6 forward to play with Kovy and Zajac, but that might not be the end of the world. More pressing need, one that Zubs return helps fill, his solidifying the 3rd line so it can be both responsible and start scoring so we can slot CBGB down to the 4th line. Do that and even with Poni on the 1st line you have a pretty potent team and one that isn't that different from last year's playoff team. Only feasable question is whether we get another forward for the 3rd line or hold steady.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
We definitely have 3 lines worth, but they're all mashed up.

I like Gio, and Bernier but I feel maybe they're better off with Barch until Carter gets back. Matteau-Loktionov-Butler might be a better 3rd line? Then again with Matteau only getting 7 minutes they probably won't do it.

The makeshift line looked good and actually got a goal though.

Matteau-Loki-Butler is a pretty raw line.
I don't doubt that there is potential there - but until the 3 of them get a strong hold on Pete's trust, they're probably not going to be left to their own devices on a line together.

The 3rd periods are going to be an adventure of line mashups til Carter and Zubrus come back.
Battled through it for like 60-70 games last season... might have to do it for another 15-20 games this time around too.

Last edited:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Sorry, but until Pete stops using Tallinder, or at least on the PK I can't feel confident. Our PK is already struggling, and he's stinking up the joint on it. When we were 19 for 19 I don't even think Tallinder was seeing PK time.

I understand and I agree with you, who wouldn't... But Tallinder, Zids, Volchenkov, we're constantly repeating ourselves.

Let's take a look at the big picture too. Post lockout hockey is ugly, teams and players have literally no time to practice and make adjustments. It's not only with the Devils but for everyone else too. Fayne is going to come back pretty soon, Tallinder and his contract just couldn't sit for ever.

You're also talking about our PK struggling at the moment, I'll take it if that means it's going to rock for the playoffs. Remember last season. I think it's better to take it one game at a time.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I think the question at the deadline becomes whether Lou thinks Loki and/or Butler can be a solid 3rd line with Zubs. Barring some fleecing with a Voltron like deal we most likely are not getting some top 6 forward to play with Kovy and Zajac, but that might not be the end of the world. More pressing need, one that Zubs return helps fill, his solidifying the 3rd line so it can be both responsible and start scoring so we can slot CBGB down to the 4th line. Do that and even with Poni on the 1st line you have a pretty potent team and one that isn't that different from last year's playoff team. Only feasable question is whether we get another forward for the 3rd line or hold steady.

Essentially, this is how I see it playing out as well.
It's all on Loki and Butler to earn their ice time and stick in the top 9.

If they're not up to the task, another Poni-ish type trade will probably be the next option.

But - like I was saying, the top line is under performing and the revolving door on the 4th line has seen a lot of bench time yet we're still scoring at the same pace as last year. No need to make any knee jerk moves or panic yet. That wouldn't be in Lou's nature, anyway.

Let's take a look at the big picture too. Post lockout hockey is ugly, teams and players have literally no time to practice and make adjustments. It's not only with the Devils but for everyone else too.

Amen.
This is what I've been trying to preach all along.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pete dressed 7 D last year because Foster was an incompetent hack. Tallinder is now an incompetent hack, and I think Pete knows it, and Stevens and Lou too. I feel having 8 defensemen will cost us Harrold next season. He's the perfect 7th defensemen, but has only gotten into 1 game out of 17 so far this year. If we didn't have 8, then there's a chance he may have played 4 by now.

They wouldn't have benched Larsson early in the season for Harrold, and they wouldn't be benching Fayne for him now. Odds are the only games Harrold would have played were the two Fayne was injured in, plus the one they stuck him in at forward while Matteau was still in limbo since they were deciding what to do about his ELC.

I was surprised he even came back this year to be honest, I figured he'd played himself into a starting job somewhere else, but he re-signed before FA so we'll never know.

foxboro24

Feb 20, 2013
Jersey Shore
Salvador was nowhere near as bad last year as Tallinder is now. And Salvador was rusty early in the year. Tallinder didn't just start sucking after the injury either. He was garbage last season too.

Tallinder barely played last year and when he did he was our top line defenseman....cmon man

foxboro24

Feb 20, 2013
Jersey Shore
Maybe I am crazy....but am I the only one who thinks Greene is nowhere near a top line defenseman? He gives away pucks and he seems to try to be an offensive defenseman too often and ends up giving up a two on one to the other defender....I know everyone is loving him because he is getting numbers (partially inflated by being on PP) but I just think that he is going off scott free while everyone hates on the older players

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Maybe I am crazy....but am I the only one who thinks Greene is nowhere near a top line defenseman? He gives away pucks and he seems to try to be an offensive defenseman too often and ends up giving up a two on one to the other defender....I know everyone is loving him because he is getting numbers (partially inflated by being on PP) but I just think that he is going off scott free while everyone hates on the older players

I'm not really seeing that?

Greene has been solid in his own end. I think he's been a good calming influence for Larsson, plus it seems whenever the puck gets stuck in the corner, Greene comes out with it. Besides, when are PP points a bad thing? We need someone else to qb the power play other than Zidlicky.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
Zidlicky needs to stick to passing on the PP, and only shoot off of a good set up. Guy seems to love his "hold the puck for a couple seconds, then take a random slapshot from the point" move this season, and it's starting to piss me off. Get Larsson out on the PP.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

I think we're all going a little crazy with the 8 defensemen dilemma that we're focusing way too much on a handful of mistakes every game as opposed to the entirety of everyone's play.
I can't think of anyone in the entire lineup, other than Clarkson, who hasn't coughed up the puck at an inopportune time this season... so there's that.

Zidlicky needs to stick to passing on the PP, and only shoot off of a good set up. Guy seems to love his "hold the puck for a couple seconds, then take a random slapshot from the point" move this season, and it's starting to piss me off. Get Larsson out on the PP.

The coaches have said since day 1 that the new PP is all about firing away at the net and not about passing for good looks anymore.

Also, it looks like he's firing intentionally wide sometimes to pick up Zajac/Clarkson/Bernier at the side of the net.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
We have a no name D for a reason too. None of them will show elite consistency for extended periods right now. Would certainly hope for a little more from some of them but what can you do.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
The coaches have said since day 1 that the new PP is all about firing away at the net and not about passing for good looks anymore.

Also, it looks like he's firing intentionally wide sometimes to pick up Zajac/Clarkson/Bernier at the side of the net.

He's also shooting high a lot of the time, though. There was 1 occasion in the Ottawa game where there was no one within 5 feet of the net and he just wound up and blasted one. There's a huge difference between just not looking for a perfect passing play, and just taking a slap shot after having the puck in the same spot for a couple seconds. At least try to get the goalie moving.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
He's also shooting high a lot of the time, though. There was 1 occasion in the Ottawa game where there was no one within 5 feet of the net and he just wound up and blasted one. There's a huge difference between just not looking for a perfect passing play, and just taking a slap shot after having the puck in the same spot for a couple seconds. At least try to get the goalie moving.

He also has a hand in exactly half of all the PP goals scored to this point on a PP that's operating at 19.4% efficiency.

I'll take a few badly played shots any day of the week if it means pucks will eventually wind up in the back of the net. Especially when he's one of the few guys actually moving his feet out there. Still some bad tendencies to shake off from the the forwards before I start criticizing any one individually out there.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Zidlicky has 45 shots on goal and 1 goal for a .022 shooting %. We all know only 1 in three of his shots even hits the net so that is really like .007 %.

My new nickname for Zidlicky is 007. And with that pathetic stat, we have a license to grill [him].

His 41 games in Minnesota before they permanently benched him he had 50 shots with no goals for a 0.00% This trend will not improve much if any. Like Don't Pass points out, he should be looking to pass or start shooting for the middle of the net and keep them down.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Zidlicky has 45 shots on goal and 1 goal for a .022 shooting %. We all know only 1 in three of his shots even hits the net so that is really like .007 %.

My new nickname for Zidlicky is 007. And with that pathetic stat, we have a license to grill [him].

His 41 games in Minnesota before they permanently benched him he had 50 shots with no goals for a 0.00% This trend will not improve much if any. Like Don't Pass points out, he should be looking to pass or start shooting for the middle of the net and keep them down.

Zidlicky's shooting percentage will bounce back. His shot is still very good.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
The amount of times i've seen Zidlicky fire a shot from the point only to have it way wide or blocked by a defender is insane. We need a guy who can actually put their shots on net (Greene, Larsson), not someone who winds up and hopes for the best.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think we're all going a little crazy with the 8 defensemen dilemma that we're focusing way too much on a handful of mistakes every game as opposed to the entirety of everyone's play.
I can't think of anyone in the entire lineup, other than Clarkson, who hasn't coughed up the puck at an inopportune time this season... so there's that.

I think the thing that is really sticking on all our craw's at the moment is because of the logjam we have one of our better defenders sitting in the press box seemingly for no reason. Let complaining if its Tally or Volch or Sal in the box right now (should be Tally, someone has to sit and he has been and continues to be the oddman out.)

You are right about the top line, but Clarkson being red hot, more contributions from the blue line, and CBGB has evened the scoring out like you noted. Helps that our PP this year actually scores on occasion when it never scored ever last year. I think Poni should bring some stability to the top line. It was looking pretty good in the Philly game so it definitely has the potential to get going. Zajac needs to break his slump.

Actually we should be pretty happy that the team is still scoring at the same pace as last year when you have both our centers slumping right now (though hopefully that shorty Henrique pretty much made happen with his work even if Elias scored it breaks his slump)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad