Prospect Info: 2013 Development Camp (July 3rd - July 7th)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thanks WhiteSnake for the awesome job!

However I feel like people are truly overvaluing some players based on development camps. There are so many players that have the whole package (size, speed, shot, hands), but just can't put it together during games. Just think about a guy like Benoit Pouliot in the NHL, you guys would have been in love with him during a week like this, yet....

Let's try to stay rational a little bit. Remember when the Habs signed Philippe Lefebvre after the development camp a couple years ago? He was the real deal in practices, but he was brutal in the AHL for the past two years. I feel like you guys are in love with Beaulieu, Leblanc, Archambault, Murphy, etc... based on their play in practice. I've watched these guys play a lot of times last year and trust me they all look better in practice with no opposition/decision making/pressure.

On the other hand, you should be pumped about guys like Hudon, Tinordi, Bournival, Belzile. They are not as sexy as the previous groups in a development camp, but man do they get the job done during games. Having the tools is one thing, but these kids also need the brain/hockeyIQ to apply them in game situations. The latter part is pretty hard to analyze during a week like this, apart from the scrimmage on Sunday.

That being said, I am going to enjoy reading these summaries for sure. But keep in mind that a good release or a perfect skating technique during a week of practices in Brossard does not make the guy worth signing to a NHL deal. I will be in Brossard on Sunday for the big scrimmage, I will try to give you a little summary then from an independent point of view.
I think we all know that to be honest ... Dev. Camp is just that ... A dev. Camp

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Thanks WhiteSnake for the awesome job!

However I feel like people are truly overvaluing some players based on development camps. There are so many players that have the whole package (size, speed, shot, hands), but just can't put it together during games. Just think about a guy like Benoit Pouliot in the NHL, you guys would have been in love with him during a week like this, yet....

Let's try to stay rational a little bit. Remember when the Habs signed Philippe Lefebvre after the development camp a couple years ago? He was the real deal in practices, but he was brutal in the AHL for the past two years. I feel like you guys are in love with Beaulieu, Leblanc, Archambault, Murphy, etc... based on their play in practice. I've watched these guys play a lot of times last year and trust me they all look better in practice with no opposition/decision making/pressure.

On the other hand, you should be pumped about guys like Hudon, Tinordi, Bournival, Belzile. They are not as sexy as the previous groups in a development camp, but man do they get the job done during games. Having the tools is one thing, but these kids also need the brain/hockeyIQ to apply them in game situations. The latter part is pretty hard to analyze during a week like this, apart from the scrimmage on Sunday.

That being said, I am going to enjoy reading these summaries for sure. But keep in mind that a good release or a perfect skating technique during a week of practices in Brossard does not make the guy worth signing to a NHL deal. I will be in Brossard on Sunday for the big scrimmage, I will try to give you a little summary then from an independent point of view.

I totally disagree of your assessment of Beaulieu. He started last season in Hamilton as a 19 year old. He, like other young Dog players struggled but he ended up leading the team in scoring. His skating is elite and from what I have read he is working hard at improving his D and getting stronger. I saw him live late last season when he was a Dog, he was easily the best player I witnessed that night. He also looked solid during his call up. I believe he is the best prospect in the organization and will show that soon.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
thanks for the report WS! The report was well worth the wait.
Cheers!

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for the report WS. Really wished that I could have attended myself this year..

I am glad to hear that my favorite prospects are doing well ! Hope to see some of them at main camp in September !

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
For whoever thinks that McCarron to London is a gimme....Andy Murray isn't done yet. Murray is actually at the Habs develoment camp...and he's bringing his tons of arguments with him....Hunter should go there too....;)

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
For whoever thinks that McCarron to London is a gimme....Andy Murray isn't done yet. Murray is actually at the Habs develoment camp...and he's bringing his tons of arguments with him....Hunter should go there too....;)

Could be there to watch his star player Cichy :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012

They shouldnt let him in :P

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Did Miami U ever produce a star player for the NHL?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Here is a crazy, bold thought....in Leblanc's 42 game stint a couple of seasons ago he did not look out of place and I believe that player still exists. I could see him making the roster if he continues working hard. Leblanc basically had a bad sophomore season last year. It happens.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the report WS!

I'm happy to hear about McCarron, but I also am delighted with the fact that Tinodri is clearly NHL level and Pateryn was showing 'nastiness'. I would love to see both up with the big club this year. I have a feeling Pateryn will be a bigger piece than we might think.

Analyzer*

Nygren seems like a great guy. Very funny, very good with media and seems like he could for sure be a leader and wear a letter if his game is just as good here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does anyone have a schedule for the development camp? At what time do players hit the ice?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Here is a crazy, bold thought....in Leblanc's 42 game stint a couple of seasons ago he did not look out of place and I believe that player still exists. I could see him making the roster if he continues working hard. Leblanc basically had a bad sophomore season last year. It happens.

I think he'd be better off to play at least a half year AHL and get his confidence back and career on track. He has 2nd line upside, if you jump him to NHL he'll be more in survivor mode than thrive mode trying to make things happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad