2013/2014 Minnesota Wild News and Notes - New Division and New Expectations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I would be okay with Bryz. He's showing up to training camps in the ECHL. If that doesnt say "I'm staying in the US for the sole purpose of winning back an NHL gig", I don't know what else does.

J22*

Maybe the team tries to talk him into retirement...maybe they waive him and hope someone picks him up...maybe they actually find someone who wants him in a trade?

Thats not really an option. Backstrom is on a 35+ contract

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thats not really an option. Backstrom is on a 35+ contract

Sure they can...they talk to him about it and buy him out next offseason. They'd have to waive him to get him off the roster for now though in such a case is all.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Would it be legal to do that when said player is days away from coming back?

Are we sure he IS days away? Maybe there's something going on with him that we don't know about.

Just speculating.

J22*

Sure they can...they talk to him about it and buy him out next offseason. They'd have to waive him to get him off the roster for now though in such a case is all.

But they would still be on the hook for his entire contract

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So we just stick him on LTIR until we have enough cap space after the trade deadline to absorb it and then buy him out the day after the season ends.

Is that how it would work? Because I thought you couldnt buy out someone on LTIR.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Bringing in Bryz wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't know where he'd play if he's not with the big club. Gustafsson and Kuemper need the ice time. I suppose you could send one to start in the ECHL but that doesn't exactly read well for their future. And Bryz probably shouldn't be sitting around either.

In short, Minnesota seems like an odd inclusion and may have been a name thrown in to drum up interest. Not to mention the whole Russian thing...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I did some checking and this is what I came up with. The Wild cant use an "amnesty buyout" on Backstrom because his contract was signed after a certain date. They can however do a regular buyout at the end of the year and his cap hits would be

Niklas Backstrom buyout from CapGeek.com

2014-15: $958,333
2015-16: $708,333
2016-17: $1,291,667
2017-18: $1,291,667

Well...someone has to replace Parrish when his cap hit runs out. :sarcasm:

Maybe we trick Edmonton into taking Backstrom. They might still think he's good. Look at his record vs them! ;)

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I did some checking and this is what I came up with. The Wild cant use an "amnesty buyout" on Backstrom because his contract was signed after a certain date. They can however do a regular buyout at the end of the year and his cap hits would be

Niklas Backstrom buyout from CapGeek.com

2014-15: $958,333
2015-16: $708,333
2016-17: $1,291,667
2017-18: $1,291,667

Unless there is something going on with Backstrom we don't know, I'm not sure I want to see the Wild be on the hook for this buyout.

Is Bryzgalov really worth it?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Does anyone have a source for these Bryz rumors?

And do we really have no option aside from a conventional buyout if we want to ditch Backstrom?

God dammit, I didn't want Backs signed for 3 years anyway. I may have been okay with one? I don't remember. I just know I was eager as hell to have his albatross contract off the books and here we are and his new ones a slightly less massive albatross.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Does anyone have a source for these Bryz rumors?

And do we really have no option aside from a conventional buyout if we want to ditch Backstrom?

God dammit, I didn't want Backs signed for 3 years anyway. I may have been okay with one? I don't remember. I just know I was eager as hell to have his albatross contract off the books and here we are and his new ones a slightly less massive albatross.

I'm not sure how solid this is or not....just a rumor.

Lawrence Dushenski ‏@LD10 2h
Source: Bryzgalov in talks with #Oilers, #Rangers & #Wild

https://twitter.com/LD10

Lawrence Dushenski
@LD10
Produce Leafs + Raptors on @TSN1050Radio + Cabbie Presents: The Podcast

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
This coming from the most avid Backstrom hater here, but there was a reason the team re-signed him.

Kuemper most unfortunately is not nearly ready, perfectly evidenced by tonight. My prediction of January 2015 looks less confident in that now Darcy. :( However, the kid just needs time, go down, stay down, relax and play Kuemper and you'll be fine.

Anyway, back to Backs, no team is trading for him, we are not signing Bryz as that would be a lateral move anyway. Harding I'm hoping will take the reigns, but Backs can at least win you a few games and is steady enough to warrant still being on this team. For the rest of this year anyway, then we'll reassess in the offseason, but we do need him now.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
This coming from the most avid Backstrom hater here, but there was a reason the team re-signed him.

Kuemper most unfortunately is not nearly ready, perfectly evidenced by tonight. My prediction of January 2015 looks less confident in that now Darcy. :( However, the kid just needs time, go down, stay down, relax and play Kuemper and you'll be fine.

Anyway, back to Backs, no team is trading for him, we are not signing Bryz as that would be a lateral move anyway. Harding I'm hoping will take the reigns, but Backs can at least win you a few games and is steady enough to warrant still being on this team. For the rest of this year anyway, then we'll reassess in the offseason, but we do need him now.

Oilers might cough up something of value if we send them Bäcks. I'm thinking considerable value, like a 2nd round pick or so.

Or even a straight-up swap, Bäcks for Dubnyk.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I think that Bryz isn't as bad as a goalie. But I'd be slightly worried to have him in a locker room. Of course I don't know him, but his public presence.. funny guy yes, but a little bit worrisome character IMO.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Oilers might cough up something of value if we send them Bäcks. I'm thinking considerable value, like a 2nd round pick or so.

Or even a straight-up swap, Bäcks for Dubnyk.

what?! why the **** would we want Dubnyk? have you watched him play? That's without knowing what his contract is...Because it really doesn't matter, he's that awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad