2013/2014 Minnesota Wild News and Notes - New Division and New Expectations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, Fletcher's wheeling and dealing has screwed this team into the best start this team has EVER had.

If that's what screwed is, I hope the team stays this screwed all season and into the post season!

Except we don't really have a stop gap at goaltender. We have two injury prone goaltenders on the roster that alternate between great and oh my god what the hell are you doing. Not only that but we should've cut Backstrom after last year especially with the contract he got. We should have rolled with Hackett and Harding this year. Ultimately, GMCF has been a good but not great GM. He had yet to shown that this team is ready to take the next step.

BTW weren't you the one backing DR until his final year and then did a one-eighty?

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
I've loved the Pommer trade since day 1. And the Nino trade is a credit to CF and his staff.

I feel like Nino has a ton of potential. Anyone have a player comparison of what he could be if he keeps developing?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Except we don't really have a stop gap at goaltender. We have two injury prone goaltenders on the roster that alternate between great and oh my god what the hell are you doing. Not only that but we should've cut Backstrom after last year and rolled with Hackett and Harding this year. Ultimately, GMCF has been a good but not great GM. He had yet to shown that this team is ready to take the next step.

Yeah, because having more points at this stage in the history of the franchise isn't a sign of the team taking the next step at all. :sarcasm:

As for the goaltender situation, it's only an issue because of an illegal hit by Kadri, and if Backs is indeed out long term, the Wild will find a temporary backup. No need to stop a gap because Harding is the best in the league. No gap to stop. The team MAY need another goaltender. There are plenty of decent backup options available, so not concerned in the least.

As for your added DR comment...uh...no. I was at his throat for his final 3 years actually.

tomthestone*

Except we don't really have a stop gap at goaltender. We have two injury prone goaltenders on the roster that alternate between great and oh my god what the hell are you doing. Not only that but we should've cut Backstrom after last year especially with the contract he got. We should have rolled with Hackett and Harding this year. Ultimately, GMCF has been a good but not great GM. He had yet to shown that this team is ready to take the next step.

BTW weren't you the one backing DR until his final year and then did a one-eighty?

Which is why they're looking into signing Theodore. No matter what angle you play, the Minnesota Wild never needed Matt Hackett. It looks like he may be better than Kuemper, but obviously BUF was able to choose which one they wanted between the two. You don't back out on Jason Pominville because you think some goalie prospect maybe has a future as an NHL starter.

I agree Backstrom should not have been signed, but the point is that the GM is putting the team in a position to win. And winning they are. I'll be the broken record and say it again -- best start in franchise history and it's not an accident. This is how the team has been trending for a couple years now, because of the solid work done by a front office that took over a club devoid of any depth of talent.

WildFinn*

Which is why they're looking into signing Theodore. No matter what angle you play, the Minnesota Wild never needed Matt Hackett. It looks like he may be better than Kuemper, but obviously BUF was able to choose which one they wanted between the two. You don't back out on Jason Pominville because you think some goalie prospect maybe has a future as an NHL starter.

I agree Backstrom should not have been signed, but the point is that the GM is putting the team in a position to win. And winning they are. I'll be the broken record and say it again -- best start in franchise history and it's not an accident. This is how the team has been trending for a couple years now, because of the solid work done by a front office that took over a club devoid of any depth of talent.

They did try signing other goalies, now Rynnäs should be looked at.

tomthestone*

They did try signing other goalies, now Rynnäs should be looked at.

It's just too bad they couldn't swing a deal for Bernier. How filthy would the Wild look with Harding and that guy as a 1/1A tandem?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i just don't understand the bernier love. he isn't that great.

tomthestone*

I hurt inside thinking about that.

And LA's big return from Toronto in exchange for Bernier, Matt Frattin, is a cool -7 with four points in 19 games. Russo said the Wild made a play at the time, and you have to think Fletcher had enough ammo there to pull something off :(

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
at the time people would have freaked the **** out if we'd have handed over Zucker, who now seems to be the guy everyone sees as the main trade bait.

not worth it.
Fletcher is smarter than that.

tomthestone*

at the time people would have freaked the **** out if we'd have handed over Zucker, who now seems to be the guy everyone sees as the main trade bait.

not worth it.
Fletcher is smarter than that.

Not worth what? Bet it had nothing to do with Fletcher. I'd speculate it's more likely LA was determined to ship Bernier to the Eastern Conference unless they saw a jaw-dropping offer.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Not worth what? Bet it had nothing to do with Fletcher. I'd speculate it's more likely LA was determined to ship Bernier to the Eastern Conference unless they saw a jaw-dropping offer.

he's a middle of the road goalie. he isn't all that much of an upgrade over Backstrom (if at all--who knows in this system) and certainly not worth spending assets on when you have free agents or pending free agents floating around.

hindsight is glorious and all, but it wasn't the right decision.

tomthestone*

he's a middle of the road goalie. he isn't all that much of an upgrade over Backstrom (if at all--who knows in this system) and certainly not worth spending assets on when you have free agents or pending free agents floating around.

hindsight is glorious and all, but it wasn't the right decision.

Sir. You are off your rocker with that statement. Bernier is a former first round pick and is just now hitting his stride. He may be unproven, but he is showing himself to be a legit No.1 in the NHL.

Backstrom is on a three-year, age 35+ contract and seems to finish about half the games he starts nowadays. Hindsight or not, Bernier over Backstrom every time.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Sir. You are off your rocker with that statement. Bernier is a former first round pick and is just now hitting his stride. He may be unproven, but he is showing himself to be a legit No.1 in the NHL.

Backstrom is on a three-year, age 35+ contract and seems to finish about half the games he starts nowadays. Hindsight or not, Bernier over Backstrom every time.

he's a pedestrian goalie who plays extremely well against us. Sure I'd rather have him than Backs but i wouldn't pay extra in prospects and picks to do it.

tomthestone*

he's a pedestrian goalie who plays extremely well against us. Sure I'd rather have him than Backs but i wouldn't pay extra in prospects and picks to do it.

I've seen enough of Bernier not to be basing my opinion off of what he does against the Wild, and he is far above "pedestrian goalie" status at this point in time. Most would argue Bernier is getting better, too.

Backstrom isn't even pedestrian by NHL goalie standards right now. And what's worse, is that if he retires the Wild are still stuck with his contract until it runs out at the end of 2015-16. I get why people are reluctant to part with assets against signing a guy off the market, but having an up-and-comer (with starting ability and Bernier's NHL experience) waiting in the wings would be worth whatever had to be paid. LA wasn't about to get one of the big gun prospects or a first round selection.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I've seen enough of Bernier not to be basing my opinion off of what he does against the Wild, and he is far above "pedestrian goalie" status at this point in time. Most would argue Bernier is getting better, too.

Backstrom isn't even pedestrian by NHL goalie standards right now. And what's worse, is that if he retires the Wild are still stuck with his contract until it runs out at the end of 2015-16. I get why people are reluctant to part with assets against signing a guy off the market, but having an up-and-comer (with starting ability and Bernier's NHL experience) waiting in the wings would be worth whatever had to be paid. LA wasn't about to get one of the big gun prospects or a first round selection.

huge sample size you have to work with on Backs. :laugh:

Anyway, i've watched Bernier as well--not that great. And he was, afterall, playing in a very stingy system that kept the crease clear. unlike ours.

tomthestone*

huge sample size you have to work with on Backs. :laugh:

Anyway, i've watched Bernier as well--not that great.

It goes back to last year. Mike Yeo definitely rode Backstrom into the ground, but he was often ineffective when rolled out there on less than ideal rest. I don't remember how many times exactly, but Backstrom has been yanked from far too many games dating back to the start of last season.

I appreciate what he did for the Wild during that solid 4-5 year stretch, but the decline in his skills, movement and especially durability have been evident for some time. Still can't figure out why they felt he had to get a three-year deal. Yuck.

tomthestone*

I would take Frattin on this team in a heartbeat, and over Bernier without hesitation...

Bottom-six, not-so-young guy over a potential top-end starting goalie with NHL experience? I take that comment to mean you think the Wild could start shopping Justin Fontaine for the next Bernier, but shouldn't.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
It goes back to last year. Mike Yeo definitely rode Backstrom into the ground, but he was often ineffective when rolled out there on less than ideal rest. I don't remember how many times exactly, but Backstrom has been yanked from far too many games dating back to the start of last season.

I appreciate what he did for the Wild during that solid 4-5 year stretch, but the decline in his skills, movement and especially durability have been evident for some time. Still can't figure out why they felt he had to get a three-year deal. Yuck.

last year Bernier was (in his 15 games (?) better than Backs but then again he was better than Rinne too. and again, he was playing for a very stingy team. Three year deal for backs because it kept continuity. not like a team has never traded for a hot goalie then looked absolutely stupid for doing so the next year when they sucked. The point being depending on what happened with Josh we were going to need a starting capable goalie and there are no guarantees someone you import will look even half as good as they did on the team you got them from. The devil you know. That still left open the possibility of either A) Hards who was a known quantity manages his MS and transitions into the starting role as was the plan before the diagnosis or B) Hards doesn't manage his MS and you are shopping for another goalie, where you can afford to roll the dice because you have Backstrom there. you might think Bernier looks good but what if he suddenly plays somewhere where the D aren't keeping guys off him or away from him? LA was a lot better at that than we were/are.
a lot better.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Backstrom was pretty much the reason the Wild made the playoffs last season...

Fontaine and Frattin are nothing alike as well.

Bernier is a dime a dozen young goaltender. If he was drafted in any round but the first, his name doesn't separate itself from anyone else in his age group.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Tons of Wild fans want Bernier bad because how good he is against us. There has been hate on Backstrom this year because of how much bad luck he has had and how great Harding has been. Backstrom got us to the playoffs last year, end of story. I think when people talk about how much his skills have "degraded" they greatly exaggerate it. I don't know whats wrong with Wild fans, because Backs has done nothing but good for this team. He may have signed a 3 year contract, but on a discount. He could of gotten more somewhere else and went with another team.

tomthestone*

Backstrom was pretty much the reason the Wild made the playoffs last season...

Fontaine and Frattin are nothing alike as well.

Bernier is a dime a dozen young goaltender. If he was drafted in any round but the first, his name doesn't separate itself from anyone else in his age group.

I guess you could say Backstrom was the biggest reason the Wild made the playoffs. I don't disagree that he had to be overused last year after what happened with Harding. Another game or two of Kuemper and they would have been on the outside looking in for sure. Hard to tell Backstrom to take a hike given that, but making that hard business decision was the prudent thing to do. No doubt that's much easier said than done.

I guess the main thing you guys disagree with me on is Bernier's value, which I think is being undersold. His numbers with the Leafs are on par with his stats as a King, and the masses will tell you he's passing the eye test well enough to figure he can continue at a similar pace.

I'm not trying to say Frattin and Fontaine are all that similar either. I just don't see many true bottom-six players (which Frattin is) in the entire league being able to contribute on the level of a solid goaltender.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Remember that I questioned whether his level of play would decrease when playing with a shield?

Seems like I was right.:(

Russo just blogged that he thinks its the bubble but Yeo said he's had more than enough time to get used to it. Definitely has affected his passing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad