2013/2014 Minnesota Wild News and Notes - New Division and New Expectations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Honestly, I think that's the best way to go. I didn't mind Coyle at center but with Granlund showing he's ready to take that spot, Brodziak, and Koivu, and Konopka, I think Coyle is best suited as a winger right now. Maybe if one of our centers gets injured, we can put him back there but until then, I think those are the best lines possible. I wanna see more of that Nino, Granlund, Pommers line, and though Koivu isn't the best possible 1st line center, I'd rather have him there then a 3rd line center with grinder wingers.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Nino - Granlund - Pommers

I wouldn't mind seeing the following for a shift or three:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Nino - Koivu - Coyle

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
Blog post by: Rachel Blount

No further news on defenseman Matt Dumba, whose three-year contract kicks in when he plays his next game for the Wild. While Yeo acknowledged he doesn't want Dumba on the shelf too long, he feels this is the best place for Dumba's development right now (as opposed to returning him to Red Deer of the WHL).

So it feels like it's clear..

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
So it feels like it's clear..

i think he stays, always have, but this is how Yeo feels. Fletcher might like the idea of keeping him an extra year instead vs. any delay in development.

J22*

i think he stays, always have, but this is how Yeo feels. Fletcher might like the idea of keeping him an extra year instead vs. any delay in development.

And 41 games is the number if that's what he's worried about. The 9 games for the ELC has never been a concern for Fletcher, it might even be beneficial for the contract to start early for a guy like Dumba.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

A couple of ifs:

1) If the cap really is ~ $70m next summer, and 2) if they feel like Brodin's next contract can be done at a reasonable term (6-8 years, $5-$5.5m per), I'd be open to those terms for Vanek. A couple of other smaller things would also have to happen regarding Nino/Granlund/Coyle, but I'm not too worried about them.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I'd do that cap hit if it was 4 years. I just don't want anyone else over 30 signed to long term deals...

This. 4 years sounds reasonable, but every year on top of that is risky. I don't want to be in a situation where we have to deal with four legless heatleys in the lineup.

Billy Mays Here*

Paging Mikko Koivu. . . paging Mikko Koivu. Hello? Anyone there? There's some 21 year old punk outplaying you by a mile right now.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
yes, lets throw granlund the hardest minutes and see what happens. that sounds like a great idea.

Billy Mays Here*

yes, lets throw granlund the hardest minutes and see what happens. that sounds like a great idea.

Well, you're right, Koivu is the better player to be shutting down opposing team's top lines, but that doesn't excuse him from his need to generate some offense too.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Anybody know how Zucker has been playing in Iowa lately? I know he's potted a few goals but the big thing with him is how he plays in his own zone.

If Coyle is out for a significant amount of time again I think Zucker could spark that first line with his speed.

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
I would like to know what's going on with Coyle. He get hurt on friday and he did practise on saturday but couldn't play today. I don't think it's nothing serious..

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As long as we are winning games I really don't care if Koivu produces or not.

There is a concern because if the second line hits a slump...as well if we could pout pressure on them from the first line, we wouldn't have uneven games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would like to know what's going on with Coyle. He get hurt on friday and he did practise on saturday but couldn't play today. I don't think it's nothing serious..

The practice saturday was optional. 4 players missed it, Coyle was one of those 4. He was held out for "precautionary" reasons due to his aggravating his knee.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Actually, the morning skate on Sunday was optional and that's what Coyle missed. Coyle did practice with the team on Saturday.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Well, you're right, Koivu is the better player to be shutting down opposing team's top lines, but that doesn't excuse him from his need to generate some offense too.

of course not, but lets keep it mind that (like last year with cullen+ whoever he clicked with at the time) it's probably a lot to do with the "second" line's success that the first line is keeping people occupied. It does kind of make you curious though...if yeo started throwing Granlund's line out there against the top lines would Koivu/Parise score more?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
The way I see it, we can win seven or so games by the end of November.

All of these games are before the end of the month, actually. We play PHO, STL, and then COL, twice.

I don't except to win all those games, maybe half. And then December is a tough month. Let's win these games we should in the next two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad