2013/2014 Minnesota Wild News and Notes - New Division and New Expectations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Koivu's not going against top lines though, Brodziak's line is. Koivu might be going against top defenders, but not the top lines.

alright, i have to be more careful with that distinction. same point though. this "pick your poison" thing with Yeo is working for now in any case.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Came upon this fun tidbit over at /r/wildhockey

"Bouchard, Clutterbuck, Cullen and Setogouchi have a combined 17 points. Cooke and Niederreiter have combined for the same amount"

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013

"Bouchard, Clutterbuck, Cullen and Setogouchi have a combined 17 points. Cooke and Niederreiter have combined for the same amount"

Then you think that Grimli, Nino and Pommer have combined 20 points in the last five games.

Clutterbuck > Nino
Cullen >>> Grantlunt

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013
Wou, i couldn't believe someone take it seriously, sorry! I add this next time. :sarcasm:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

It's almost like Fletcher knows what he's doing. :sarcasm:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
And that's the biggest thing. Some people (didn't someone say the Wild was going to be 29th in the league?) don't account for internal growth of prospects. Especially if they aren't lottery picks.

Cullen and Bouchard are on the down side of their careers. Setoguchi and Clutterbuck have been streaky and we've seen that their stats are about as good as they will get.

Last year:

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Cullen - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Mitchell

This year:

Parise - Koivu - Fontaine
Nino - Granlund - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell
Veilleux - Konopka - Heatley

Parise, Koivu, Brodziak, Konopka in the same roles

Coyle (0.22gpg 0.38ppg) -> Fontaine (0.27gpg 0.27ppg)
Verdict: Downgrade, because Coyle was more consistent and brought a physical element, but this is due to injury more than anything else

Heatley (0.31gpg 0.58ppg) -> Nino (0.20gpg 0.60ppg)
Verdict: Upgrade, because Heatley's stats were skewed by a great first week and Nino is a more complete player

Cullen (0.17gpg 0.64ppg) -> Granlund (0.07gpg 0.73ppg)
Verdict: Upgrade, only because Granlund will trend up while Cullen will trend down

Setoguchi (0.27gpg 0.56ppg) -> Pominville (0.67gpg 0.80ppg)
Verdict: HUGE Upgrade, Pominville is a more complete player and better scorer

Bouchard (0.19gpg 0.47ppg) -> Cooke (0.20gpg 0.53ppg)
Verdict: Slight Upgrade, as Cooke fits the role better

Clutterbuck (0.10gpg 0.24ppg) -> Mitchell (0.07gpg 0.20ppg)
Verdict: Downgrade, because Clutterbuck brings the physical element, but again this is due to injury to Coyle

Rupp (0.03gpg 0.13ppg) -> Veilleux (0gpg 0ppg)
Verdict: Slight Downgrade, although Veilleux has more speed Rupp seemed more effective

Mitchell (0.09gpg 0.18ppg) -> Heatley (0.13gpg 0.27ppg)
Verdict: Slight Upgrade, while Heatley doesn't fit at even strength he can still be used on the PP

Or the other way to look at it:

Setoguchi (0.27gpg 0.56ppg) -> Pominville (0.67gpg 0.80ppg) - Huge Upgrade
Cullen (0.17gpg 0.64ppg) -> Granlund (0.07gpg 0.73ppg) - Upgrade
Bouchard (0.19gpg 0.47ppg) -> Nino (0.20gpg 0.60ppg) - Upgrade
Clutterbuck (0.10gpg 0.24ppg) -> Cooke (0.20gpg 0.53ppg) - Huge Upgrade

Once Coyle comes back, or if they call up Zucker and move the lines around to get a real top line RW up there, the Wild should be MUCH improved over last year at forward.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Call up Zucker, and move Nino back to 1st line.

Parise Koivu Nino
Zucker Granlund Pominville
Cooke Brodziak Fontain
Heatley McMillian Mitchell
Konopka

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That's silly. We should always assume Fletcher is falling-over drunk when making any decisions.

Ugh, you just reminded me of a game during the epic collapse 2 years ago. You remember that one on some eastern conference road trip and fletcher gave a between periods interview and he was obviously hammered? Yeah, we couldn't blame him for that.

But now I have to surpress that memory again. Dammit.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Parise Koivu Nino
Cooke Brodziak Fontain
Konopka

I'd like to see that. Depends on how long Coyle is out. Although mine would be:

Parise - Koivu - Nino
Zucker - Granlund - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Fontaine
Heatley - Konopka - Mitchell

And send McMillan back down.

Jongdo

Oct 23, 2013

Parise Koivu Nino
Cooke Brodziak Fontain
Konopka

Again, why would you want to brake our best line? Nino is a big part of that line..

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
What about:
Parise Koivu Coyle
Nino Grarrgwold Population
Cooke Brodz Zucker
BoatAnchor BunnyFighter Mitchell

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The only reason to stay withh Cullen, Setoguchi, Clutterbuck, and Bouchard is because you fear the unknown. Those guys had all peaked and weren't going to get any better. It was time to move on.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
the most important aspect of the personnel "upgrades" is that these players are better at the system Yeo and Fletcher have been building toward since Yeo was hired. Seto, Clutter, and Cullen weren't possession type players. Bouchard was to some extent but with that history you gotta cut the ties.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
the most important aspect of the personnel "upgrades" is that these players are better at the system Yeo and Fletcher have been building toward since Yeo was hired. Seto, Clutter, and Cullen weren't possession type players. Bouchard was to some extent but with that history you gotta cut the ties.
Understatement of the year.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "Turnover Machines."

Definitely not a surprise that the Wild's possession game sky-rocketed this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad