2013-14 Minnesota Wild Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Perhaps not but he's been solid defensively, has brought some grit and hasn't ****ed up too much this season so he's doing his job.

Not saying he isn't, he has been robbed of a goal a couple of times. Just can never seem to get that goal on his stats :laugh:

Billy Mays Here*

Looking at a few stats Ballard's ice time stuck out to me. He's not even averaging 15 min a night, which is surprising for a guy that was supposedly brought in to be our no. 3 d-man. Then again, maybe it's just a couple games where he's gotten injured and gone off early along with them being careful with him in his returns that is affecting that stat in a negative way. I would hope by the end of the season we see him averaging at least 18 minutes a night. But with Scandella actually playing fairly well now and Spurgeon having a solid season I guess exceptions have to be made.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ballard wasn't even taking a regular shift in Van. Why assume he would be our #3? No matter, with the advent of Scan/Spurgeon we are fine. Stoner is a perfect compliment to Ballard,IMO. Ballard is a good choice at #5.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I am concerned about the offense still.

The top six needs to be more consistent. Koivu's line is coming up with some clutch goals, but I'd still like to see them get on the score sheet more consistently. I'm not seeing the chemistry with Pominville at all on that line. He has one goal in the last nine games.

As for the second line, it's been pretty much gone since Granlund went out. Coyle is not a center right now, and not a top six player at this point either. He has one goal and is -4 in the last 10 games, not to mention the terrible faceoff numbers and stupid penalties. Heatley has picked up his play but he needs to get to another level to stay in the top six at even strength IMO. Nino is doing good things but let's face it, no points in the last five games and one goal in the last ten.

I think they could do some things to shake up the lines. I would maybe send Coyle down and call up Zucker. Get Coyle's confidence going and let him get back to speed in Iowa. And give Zucker a shot in the top six.

If they move Haula to #2 center:

Parise - Koivu - Nino
Zucker - Haula - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Heatley
Fontaine - Konopka - Mitchell

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I am concerned about the offense still.

The top six needs to be more consistent. Koivu's line is coming up with some clutch goals, but I'd still like to see them get on the score sheet more consistently. I'm not seeing the chemistry with Pominville at all on that line. He has one goal in the last nine games.

As for the second line, it's been pretty much gone since Granlund went out. Coyle is not a center right now, and not a top six player at this point either. He has one goal and is -4 in the last 10 games, not to mention the terrible faceoff numbers and stupid penalties. Heatley has picked up his play but he needs to get to another level to stay in the top six at even strength IMO. Nino is doing good things but let's face it, no points in the last five games and one goal in the last ten.

I think they could do some things to shake up the lines. I would maybe send Coyle down and call up Zucker. Get Coyle's confidence going and let him get back to speed in Iowa. And give Zucker a shot in the top six.

If they move Haula to #2 center:

Parise - Koivu - Nino
Zucker - Haula - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Heatley
Fontaine - Konopka - Mitchell

I disagree with Coyle not being a top 6 guy; but I will say, and have said, that he shouldn't be the best player on his line yet (debatable whether he or Nino is better, but whatever). Maybe when he's 24-25, but not at 21. Perhaps I'm not seeing something, but this seems very obvious to me:

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Nino - Haula - Pominville

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I meant he's not a top six player RIGHT NOW. I think he has been in the past and definitely will be in the future, and he's probably a player that will take a little longer to adjust to the NHL. He's still young. But right now, he's disrupting the offense, losing draws, and taking dumb penalties. Needs to get his game going in Iowa while he's still under a two-way contract and doesn't require waivers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I meant he's not a top six player RIGHT NOW. I think he has been in the past and definitely will be in the future, and he's probably a player that will take a little longer to adjust to the NHL. He's still young. But right now, he's disrupting the offense, losing draws, and taking dumb penalties. Needs to get his game going in Iowa while he's still under a two-way contract and doesn't require waivers.

And I think that it's mostly due to his current line/position that makes him look like he's playing bad right. I don't think Iowa needs to happen, just a position/line change should be enough. It's not like Pominville is lighting up the top line anyways.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yep, that's why I want to see Pommer on the second line. Actually wouldn't mind seeing Coyle on the third line RW, but I dunno how Heatley would look on the top line.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Nino - Haula - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Coyle

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yikes, just checked out the faceoff numbers:

Konopka 64.8%
Koivu 55.8%
Brodziak 51.6%
Granlund 50.4%
Coyle 36.5%
Haula 31.2%

Obviously Haula got sent back down but that puts a damper on my #2 center dreams.

Seriously, Granlund needs to get back soon or they need to find another center.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
So if Zucker gets the call...

what Yeo will do:

Parise Koivu Poms
Zucker Coyle Heatley
Cooke Brodziak Nino
Rupp Konopka Mitchell

Scratch: Fontain

What i think he should do:

Parise Koivu Nino
Zucker Brodziak Pominville
Cooke Coyle Mitchell
Rupp Konopka Fontain

Scratch: Heatley

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Russo is speculating that Zucker gets called up and Heatley to the fourth line.

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Zucker - Coyle - Nino
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell (ugh)
Fontaine/Rupp - Konopka - Heatley

Nice thing with the top six is the handedness of the players. Koivu (LH setup man), Pominville (RH shooter), and Parise (worker). Coyle (RH setup man), Zucker (LH shooter), and Nino (worker).

Or it could be a disaster.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I really hope Yeo puts Zucker on the PP.

Also hope he takes Pominville off the point. He's so much better down low taking one timers from across the ice.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I really hope Yeo puts Zucker on the PP.

Also hope he takes Pominville off the point. He's so much better down low taking one timers from across the ice.

I just hope Zucker gets a real chance as a top-6 forward for more than half a game.

He gets jerked around lines more than anyone I can remember. Give him a top-6 spot with 2nd PP unit or leave him in Iowa.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Russo is speculating that Zucker gets called up and Heatley to the fourth line.

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Zucker - Coyle - Nino
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell (ugh)
Fontaine/Rupp - Konopka - Heatley

Nice thing with the top six is the handedness of the players. Koivu (LH setup man), Pominville (RH shooter), and Parise (worker). Coyle (RH setup man), Zucker (LH shooter), and Nino (worker).

Or it could be a disaster.

Why the ugh after the third line? They've been one of our best/most consistent lines recently. Sure, they have a difficult time scoring but they garner a lot of zone time and momentum. Cooke and Mitchell played great yesterday.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Parise - Koivu - Zucker
Nino - Coyle - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell
Heatley - Konopka - Fontaine

I would maybe do this to give Zucker a chance to find chemistry with Parise/Koivu and I think that could be a good second line for us. The third line as is has proven itself and been very good lately. The fourth line is a bit slow but Fontaine speeds them up a bit, still won't be very effective with the current players we have now.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Parise - Koivu - Zucker
Nino - Coyle - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell
Heatley - Konopka - Fontaine

I would maybe do this to give Zucker a chance to find chemistry with Parise/Koivu and I think that could be a good second line for us. The third line as is has proven itself and been very good lately. The fourth line is a bit slow but Fontaine speeds them up a bit, still won't be very effective with the current players we have now.

Zucker hasn't earned the coaches trust to be a regular skater, and he's suddenly going to get top-line minutes?

Not going to happen.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Zucker hasn't earned the coaches trust to be a regular skater, and he's suddenly going to get top-line minutes?

Not going to happen.

It would be a try, certainly couldn't hurt. If he found chemistry with Parise/Koivu we would have a solid top 2 lines with Pominville in the second. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying, certainly wouldn't hurt.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Why the ugh after the third line? They've been one of our best/most consistent lines recently. Sure, they have a difficult time scoring but they garner a lot of zone time and momentum. Cooke and Mitchell played great yesterday.

When you're getting 15 minutes per game, need to chip in more than one goal per week as a line. Also not a fan of Mitchell.

Not going to happen.

Not going to happen, but should be worth a look. Yeo needs to think outside the box and take risks from time to time.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
"And Brodziak couldn't handle the pass" should be a drinking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad