2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Challenger is the odd ball unsigned on that list. I haven’t heard anything about him playing anywhere other than the OHL. Any thoughts on whether it is a defection/trade possibility or just a slow process as of now?

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Challenger is the odd ball unsigned on that list. I haven’t heard anything about him playing anywhere other than the OHL. Any thoughts on whether it is a defection/trade possibility or just a slow process as of now?
He was in Erie's prospect camp this weekend.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
It would probably be frowned upon, but if Erie wants picks to contend this year, declaring Challenger defected and moving him for like 6 picks wouldn't be the worst move. Idk if you can do that after they show up to your prospect camp though.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Have Erie/Soo signed any other '24 picks? If they haven't then I don't think it's worth reading too much into it because they could be waiting as a team - but if there are other picks signed it could mean it's not as straightforward as the team waiting.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hawery hasn't signed which is odd. Thought he'd for sure sign. Maybe bchl or U.S?
With the Knights winning the championship and playing in the Memorial Cup, I’d have thought they’d have signed him and brought him along to witness the experience.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It would probably be frowned upon, but if Erie wants picks to contend this year, declaring Challenger defected and moving him for like 6 picks wouldn't be the worst move. Idk if you can do that after they show up to your prospect camp though.

He seemed extremely happy to be at camp and can't see why he wouldn't want to be here. He has a great shot at serious minutes and can even make his way into the 3rd line depending on how off season goes.

I'd be very shocked if he doesn't commit to Erie.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
He seemed extremely happy to be at camp and can't see why he wouldn't want to be here. He has a great shot at serious minutes and can even make his way into the 3rd line depending on how off season goes.

Oh I would be shocked too. Was just playing devil's advocate for strategy for a moment.

Reactions: Mata and OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

That’s why I mentioned it. Out of all the unsigned players, I thought he is the one most surprising at this point.

Reactions: Mata

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That’s why I mentioned it. Out of all the unsigned players, I thought he is the one most surprising at this point.
wouldnt shock me if he's already signed and just waiting on the announcement.

only one that i think may be an issue is cali and i would be surprised the soo stepped up and took him a bit high only to have him say no.

Reactions: OMG67

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Good for Spitfires fans and O fans in general that Ethan Garden signed!
Know nothing about him, but stats look impressive, very similar to Beckham Edwards who was a 1st round lock were he to come to the OHL.

Looks a bit on the small side, but that's not as much of an issue on F.

Last edited:

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
Hawery not signing has to be a big suprise at this point. London picked him, needing a first rounder to report and he hasn't signed. If he doesn't end up signing, that will be close to 3 years in a row without a first rounder. ( testa got traded in his first year)

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Correct, you can’t get compensation for a defective player 2 years in a row.
its interesting, they didnt get a 1st round pick for moore, a second because he was moved in January. wonder if that gives them a pass.

i wouldnt worry about it personally, i think hawrey was making noise about the bchl but didnt get a ton of interest. im sure hell sign if he has not yet, but never know.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
its interesting, they didnt get a 1st round pick for moore, a second because he was moved in January. wonder if that gives them a pass.

i wouldnt worry about it personally, i think hawrey was making noise about the bchl but didnt get a ton of interest. im sure hell sign if he has not yet, but never know.
The most recent scenario is the Peterborough Petes when they drafted Will Cuylle and he did not report. The Petes declared him defected and received a compensatory 1st round draft pick the next draft in which they drafted Mason McTavish with that pick. At the time there was questions if he would report and it was stated they would not be eligible to receive the 1st but would receive a 2nd instead if they declared him defected. I think they would be eligible to get the 1st as they did not receive one last year.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The most recent scenario is the Peterborough Petes when they drafted Will Cuylle and he did not report. The Petes declared him defected and received a compensatory 1st round draft pick the next draft in which they drafted Mason McTavish with that pick. At the time there was questions if he would report and it was stated they would not be eligible to receive the 1st but would receive a 2nd instead if they declared him defected. I think they would be eligible to get the 1st as they did not receive one last year.
thats not the same, cuylle was traded in august like every compensation pick, no different then brzustewicz last year. they got a comp pick because he was a top 3 pick. i dont remember any whispers but the compensation rule for 1st round picks was well established at that point.

with will moore, he was taken 18th overall and was traded in january. there was only a 2nd round pick given as compensation. totally different.

what makes you think one has anything to do with the other?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i actually looked it up, i dont think that a situation like this has ever happened, the rights to a player traded mid season who didnt sign.

generally its always in august/september like hage, tortora, etc.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
i actually looked it up, i dont think that a situation like this has ever happened, the rights to a player traded mid season who didnt sign.

generally its always in august/september like hage, tortora, etc.
What about Saginaw in 2020 drafting Fantilli #18 overall then trading him a year later to North Bay?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
What about Saginaw in 2020 drafting Fantilli #18 overall then trading him a year later to North Bay?
That was a unique situation. Fantilli was drafted in 2020 but the following season was cancelled because of Covid as a result he was traded the next fall when the OHL resumed play in 2021. Aiden Castle was traded as a defected player in the same timeframe. Both Saginaw and Oshawa got compensatory 1st round draft picks for those players.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad