2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So if Wasslyn goes to Niagara, then Valentini goes to Petes. whether he actually reports to the Petes is another issue but I cannot see why he wouldn’t. Good organization.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Read an article on the NHL draft. Chance of a minor hockey player getting drafted to pro was 1 in 4000. I think it said there were 86 Canadians drafted last year. The change of them making a 5 year NHL career for most is slim to none.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Why? They have a respected head coach who won a championship just last season and has seen numerous players go pro since he’s been there.
Not just about a respected coach. The Petes problem when it comes to other teams is their facility is way outdated whereas a lot of these other teams have newer arenas and up to date stuff that kids want nowadays. I think it goes beyond just a respected coach imo

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Regarding player A; ‘at 20 playing in the USHL he is not elite but better, and educated at a great school’. His schooling is covered by the USHL team or school committed to but not playing for?
At 18 OHL players can be taking classes from U of T, McGill, Queens, …covered by the OHL education package right?
Something else to consider about player A.

"But as a 20 year old in the USHL, he finally plays better. Not an elite level, but much improved. Still not drafted, but he's going to a great school and is going to make this adjustment with a ton of confidence."

If player A is not at the level the school anticipated he would be at by 19 or 20, it's possible he may no longer have that scholarship.

Reactions: OMG67 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Something else to consider about player A.

"But as a 20 year old in the USHL, he finally plays better. Not an elite level, but much improved. Still not drafted, but he's going to a great school and is going to make this adjustment with a ton of confidence."

If player A is not at the level the school anticipated he would be at by 19 or 20, it's possible he may no longer have that scholarship.
pretty much what I was asking; would the school honour the committment if the kid is not on the roster? That would be a relatively recent development if it did.

Reactions: Sam14

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
pretty much what I was asking; would the school honour the committment if the kid is not on the roster? That would be a relatively recent development if it did.

I have been following college hockey for decades now and I can tell you with near certainty that such a player would lose his scholarship/spot on a "NHL bound" program. If said player did not meet the benchmark set by the school program, he would be replaced by another younger player; well before he hit the age of 20.

What often happens now to those late bloomers is they latch on to the mid-tier programs and hope they do well enough there to catch the attention of those power schools and then enter the portal. This of course keeps the hope alive and I think that's what the OP was refering to you.

This exodus of talent is the result of something else. My speculation is that it has a lot to do with agents and their demands for their players. I mentioned on another thread that the CHL may have to institute a tender policy much the same way that the USHL does in order to attract and keep top talent.

OHL I think

From what I've been reading and hearing is that he isn't the only one using the USHL/BCHL option in order to land at his preferred OHL destination.

There are going to be a couple of USHL teams that are going to feel quite used/burned when this is all over.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
From what I've been reading and hearing is that he isn't the only one using the USHL/BCHL option in order to land at his preferred OHL destination.

There are going to be a couple of USHL teams that are going to feel quite used/burned when this is all over.
Depending on how it all plays out, if a bunch of USHL teams that feel burned I wonder if they'll be less likely to tender players going forward?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If I’m the Petes at this point and Di Iorio goes #2… I just take one of Wassilyn or Malholtra and trade his rights for a haul. Get the compensation pick and have two high picks in a better draft next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If I’m the Petes at this point and Di Iorio goes #2… I just take one of Wassilyn or Malholtra and trade his rights for a haul. Get the compensation pick and have two high picks in a better draft next year.
I agree but if they can get a commitment from a kid like Valentini, then so be it. Take the player. But, if they can only get the 6th or 7th guy on their list to report, take the defected player and roll the dice. Get the 5th pick next year and whatever pick comp comes with the deal. No issues with that strategy at all!

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I agree but if they can get a commitment from a kid like Valentini, then so be it. Take the player. But, if they can only get the 6th or 7th guy on their list to report, take the defected player and roll the dice. Get the 5th pick next year and whatever pick comp comes with the deal. No issues with that strategy at all!
100% agree with you OMG. If you’re gonna take anyone you have to take Valentini and roll the dice. this is getting much more interesting than i thought and unfortunately a bit more unsettling than i had hoped for with the Petes having top 3 pick

Reactions: frontsfan67

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think you have to strongly consider the defected player route. None of these guys were really considered Uber elite to begin with and now half of the top ones are possibly not going to come to the OHL? Sounds like a perfect time to kick it a year down the road.
Question on this.

Say the Petes take Wasslyn, and he insists he will only play for Niagara.

Could Niagara then draft Valentini, after he refuses to report, trade him to Barrie or London for picks, then forward those picks to the Petes for Wasslyn - thus getting the player they wanted and a free bonus 6th overall pick next year?

Reactions: flamebird

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Question on this.

Say the Petes take Wasslyn, and he insists he will only play for Niagara.

Could Niagara then draft Valentini, after he refuses to report, trade him to Barrie or London for picks, then forward those picks to the Petes for Wasslyn - thus getting the player they wanted and a free bonus 6th overall pick next year?

Each deal is individual. Theoretically, Petes could draft Wasslyn and Niagara draft Valentini. Both defect. Petes trade Wasslyn to Niagara (get the comp pick at #5). Then Niagara trades Valentini to Petes (get the comp pick at #6).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad