20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The entire Tank community extends its sincerest gratitude to Ownership:

TANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH!

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
hey uh y'all got anymore of them Toronto tank games? I really need a fix... getting dominated by the Laughs on primetime... let's go boys

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
This is probably the most depressing tank thread in years. Not because of the goal, but because part of the value in dumping management years back was to give the next regime the flexibility to make moves to keep this team a contender. Even at the eleventh hour after the bubble run there was a way forward to set this team up for sustained success. Now that path is harder to see, it feels like the next two years are locked in regardless of who is at the wheel.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This is probably the most depressing tank thread in years. Not because of the goal, but because part of the value in dumping management years back was to give the next regime the flexibility to make moves to keep this team a contender. Even at the eleventh hour after the bubble run there was a way forward to set this team up for sustained success. Now that path is harder to see, it feels like the next two years are locked in regardless of who is at the wheel.
I am afraid the odds of any retaining that group was almost non existent.

The owner, Mr. Aquilini would have had to burn 50 million dollars to fix Benning's mistakes.
He already was burning 14 million a year.

The bubble team was 12 million over the cap in salary. There was just not enough cap space to retain the group.
An if you look really close you would realize that the bubble team was not much better than the previous 4 years.
The Covid playoff run was in itself a once in a life time and all results shod be taken in that vein.

What it did do was fool all those fans Benning had been feeding koolaid into being convinced this was a cup contender or perennial playoff team.

There many posters that have been fighting the barrage of astro surfing and advertising that have the Canucks and Benning as being good.
We, the non conformer's point to things like Points, Wins, Losses, Standings, big team win, small teams are for regular seasons, The Cap and it's management.

Just look at the cap and contracts with players ages, that gives much of the future possibilities.

Trends, Benning's trade history, FA signing history, Good ol Boy preferences.

As far as tanking
This team was designed as a one off and destined to the bottom, where they were the last 6 years including last year.

The path forward can be designed, but it need forward thinking, more than one month ahead like Benning.
It requires a 2 or 3 year plan going forward.
Just sitting on their hands will solve most of the cap problems, but take additional years.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
In one way or another, in the history of the Franchise, the Canucks have yet to not fail to Tank.

So there is that.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster

This adds to my numbness about the franchise. A more pro-active approach in seasons previous had the potential to set things up much better for a turnaround. As it stands there's virtually no way next year isn't also a write off, regardless of management/coaching moves. That's brutal. Benning set this franchise back an entire decade while fumbling around with directives. These young competitive stars we have, what are we doing to them in their formative professional years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Again, I've never been a big tank person but I think the previous tank threads had a 'Lets suck and get a great young player and build something great!' vibe, kind of with the assumption that Benning would eventually be punted and someone capable would be doing something with these assets.

Now it's a 'We just need to tank as hard as possible to get management fired and hopefully this mess can get put back on some sort of decent track so we don't have to rebuild again'.

And it's just so frustrating because the selfish short-term thinking behind Fake Stanley Cup 2020 and the fallout that was so clearly coming afterward was just ... so freaking obvious.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Again, I've never been a big tank person but I think the previous tank threads had a 'Lets suck and get a great young player and build something great!' vibe, kind of with the assumption that Benning would eventually be punted and someone capable would be doing something with these assets.

Now it's a 'We just need to tank as hard as possible to get management fired and hopefully this mess can get put back on some sort of decent track so we don't have to rebuild again'.

And it's just so frustrating because the selfish short-term thinking behind Fake Stanley Cup 2020 and the fallout that was so clearly coming afterward was just ... so freaking obvious.

I think Thomas Drance really nailed it in a recent VanCast that the incentive structures for the GM and Coach are just completely out of line with the best interests of the team.

GM thinks short term to save job and keeps adding boat anchors around the neck of the franchise with zero regard for the long term consequences that we have been feeling in a big way this year.

Coach thinks about getting a winning record to bolster his career prospects at the expiration of his contract this year, so he plays all of his veteran players and has no interest in developing younger players or seeing what the fringe guys have to offer.

On top of that there's absolutely no accountability or consequences for awful performance. It's a frightening mix.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
@timw33 Yes. Absolutely terrible leadership and vision right from the top down.

Like MS mentioned, the nature of the tank has taken a really ugly twist. Tanking for the purpose of asset accumulation within the context of a real plan for the future is an innocuous and valid strategy. Tanking because the worse it gets the more likely ownership will do what needs to be done is so toxic. I would be happy to cheer the team on to win if I knew it meant management wouldn't make the stupid decision to buy at the deadline and further dig the hole. If I had faith in the vision of the franchise then it wouldn't matter and I would cheer on through the losses. But without faith, what is a fan to do, but be numb at the uncertainty.

Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Thomas Drance really nailed it in a recent VanCast that the incentive structures for the GM and Coach are just completely out of line with the best interests of the team.

GM thinks short term to save job and keeps adding boat anchors around the neck of the franchise with zero regard for the long term consequences that we have been feeling in a big way this year.

Coach thinks about getting a winning record to bolster his career prospects at the expiration of his contract this year, so he plays all of his veteran players and has no interest in developing younger players or seeing what the fringe guys have to offer.

On top of that there's absolutely no accountability or consequences for awful performance. It's a frightening mix.

Everything is backward from the top of the organization.

No President to enforce any accountability or direction.

Hopelessly incompetent GM flailing from one bad short-term move to the next as he tries to save his job.

Lame duck head coach endlessly defaulting to veterans who has no incentive to play/develop young players.

No consequences for any of the horde of underachieving veteran players.

No meritocracy at any level of the organization. Just a complete shit show.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

You forgot about the BS shilling/nitpicking/deflecting that - along with the fawning media - is enough to cause the casual fans (who make up the the majority of the fanbase) to hesitate and fall back on their natural instinct to support the team no matter what.

A demanding fanbase would have seen Weisbrod/Benning gone years ago.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

tumblr_o2en5pJc7t1rjq3xeo1_400.gifv

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
You forgot about the BS shilling/nitpicking/deflecting that - along with the fawning media - is enough to cause the casual fans (who make up the the majority of the fanbase) to hesitate and fall back on their natural instinct to support the team no matter what.

A demanding fanbase would have seen Weisbrod/Benning gone years ago.

Vancouver is a Canucks city, not a hockey city. The mostly casuals will watch every Canuck game, but have no idea what else is going on in the league. That is why you see all the idiots on Scott Road and Robson when they are in the playoffs, but completely disappear in times like now.

Rob Fai said that imagine Vancouver as a car with 4 people. One die-hard, two casuals and one person who has no idea what the Canucks are.

Reactions: I am toxic

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
BUF@NYI - BUF
NYR@NJD - 3 pt with either team win
DET@CAR - DET
FLD@NSH - NSH
CBJ@DAL - either will do
OTT@CGY - 3 pt with OTT win
TOR@VAN - if the answer isn't obvious you're probably drunk

Good number of tank games tonight. Us playing cutesy peewee hockey vs the leafs is going to be very adorable to watch.

Let them get trounced bounced and stomped.

Let, the tanks, ROLL.
tumblr_milip8te7a1rl52wjo3_400.gifv

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Everything is backward from the top of the organization. No President to enforce any accountability or direction. Hopelessly incompetent GM flailing from one bad short-term move to the next as he tries to save his job. Lame duck head coach endlessly defaulting to veterans who has no incentive to play/develop young players. No consequences for any of the horde of underachieving veteran players. No meritocracy at any level of the organization. Just a complete shit show.

Tanks, Tanks A Lot:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I've really just found myself not caring these days. I typically defer to other games when the Canucks play/have the Canucks game on in the background as I watch another.

Fun times.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I've really just found myself not caring these days. I typically defer to other games when the Canucks play/have the Canucks game on in the background as I watch another.

Fun times.
Welcome to the dark side. All are welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad