Post-Game Talk: 2 Down, 2 To Go

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I’m sure subbing in Kane for Ryan on the 4th line wouldn’t have a huge negative impact on the lineup. Ryan plays very few minutes anyways so inserting a motivated Kane for 8-10 minutes could pay dividends in a big way. You’re not missing much taking out Ryan, just look at his performance in these playoffs:

View attachment 884559

He’s not cutting it offensively or defensively.
Ryan is garbage I agree, but the issue I have is taking Mcleod off the wing

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Also note that neither Deboer nor Maurice have won a Stanley Cup despite having long coaching careers....
Great coaches but sometimes these long tenured coaches don’t win for a reason. Too stuck in their ways and unwilling to change.

Already we see that Maurice thinks they need to “change nothing” about how they play. “Nothing changes” for them he says.

Deboer too started that series with the cherry picker strategy and it worked okay the first couple times (although they couldn’t finish on breakaways) but wouldn’t change it up when the Oilers realized what was coming. And wouldn’t get burned by the cherry picker anymore.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Great coaches but sometimes these long tenured coaches don’t win for a reason. Too stuck in their ways and unwilling to change.

Already we see that Maurice thinks they need to “change nothing” about how they play. “Nothing changes” for them he says.

Deboer too started that series with the cherry picker strategy and it worked okay the first couple times (although they couldn’t finish on breakaways) but wouldn’t change it up when the Oilers realized what was coming. And wouldn’t get burned by the cherry picker anymore.
And the Oilers coaching staff have made constant adjustments with great success....

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They are shaking in their little kitty boots about to go down in history as the greatest choke artists in the cap era

We cannot mess with the PK which Ryan has been a huge part of.

The nice thing is we have the luxury of having a bunch of good PKers on the team. We have deployed the Henrique/RNH and Janmark/Brown PK duos with great success when Ryan has been out of the lineup.

What I look at is how bad that 4th line was last game. They were an absolute liability out there sorry to say. We can’t afford to ice that same line in the next 2 games and Ryan looks like the odd man out (normally I would say Perry but he just scored a massive goal last game and is probably a great guy to have on the bench in elimination games)

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The nice thing is we have the luxury of having a bunch of good PKers on the team. We have deployed the Henrique/RNH and Janmark/Brown PK duos with great success when Ryan has been out of the lineup.

What I look at is how bad that 4th line was last game. They were an absolute liability out there sorry to say. We can’t afford to ice that same line in the next 2 games and Ryan looks like the odd man out (normally I would say Perry but he just scored a massive goal last game and is probably a great guy to have on the bench in elimination games)

One of the problems with the 4th line in Game 5 is they kept getting connected to the Nurse pair and they keep getting tossed out on D zone draws. The 4th line combined with the Nurse pair on anything other than an O zone draw simply can't happen.

I trust Knoblauch to recognize this and adjust, thankfully. With Woodcroft he'd be throwing that group out as a primary option defending a lead for no reason other than they should theoretically be able to handle it on paper.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
You don't put Kane back in. This is the finals, don't mess with a winning line-up and dont put in injured players
that 4th line was brutal, though. Brought nothing to the table, couldn't win a faceoff, and was caved in at every turn. I'd change it up, although I"m not sure Kane-McL-Perry make it better at keeping the puck out of their own end.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
One of the problems with the 4th line in Game 5 is they kept getting connected to the Nurse pair and they keep getting tossed out on D zone draws. The 4th line combined with the Nurse pair on anything other than an O zone draw simply can't happen.

I trust Knoblauch to recognize this and adjust, thankfully. With Woodcroft he'd be throwing that group out as a primary option defending a lead for no reason other than they should theoretically be able to handle it on paper.

IMG_3600.jpeg

This says it all :laugh:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I did find his “burn the tape” comment weird after we crushed em’ 8-1.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol yeh. A game where multiple breakdowns happened that could be corrected. And he doesn’t think it requires addressing and the team already knows. Last nights presser he’s talking about they already should have learned these lessons, I watched the NYR series and they gave up plenty on the rush too.

Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Especially because a tactical shift lead to our scoring explosion.

That statement could just be for media consumption, but if they truly did "burn the tape" after that game they did not help themselves in any way.

Reactions: McDoused

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Another important stat is that Connor is 6 pts away from Auston Matthews total career playoff points (55gms & 48pts).

Connor has played 23 gms so far...
Nuge has Nostrils beat with 60 points in 72 games.

Ryan has been useless all playoffs reason they were hemmed in game 5 is he lost every board battle was bumped of the puck does nothing
And we almost got a too many men penalty because instead of dumping it in he passes back to the bench with 6 guys on the ice. Like to see Carrick in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad