Post-Game Talk: 1st place once again, Jets win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The way Scheifele talks about Maurice’s exit and Bones coming on board is just so telling.

The team had totally checked out on Paul, it’s fascinating to see Scheifele just basically say that without directly saying it.

Yeah I'm surprised at Mark's comments, thought he and Paul were good buds
Glad to see him seemingly enjoying the change

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So, any thoughts on whether Maurice lasts the full season with the panthers?
He is a word wizard... he will find a way to keep his jobs and spend weekends at the owners cabin. Probably best pals with Tkachuk already - will make some comments about them being a young team that needs time to learn the system

Reactions: GNP and Guardian17

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Poor Maurice, I like him as a person, but he just can't win anything. I had some serious vertigo when they would cut to a close up of him on the bench. It's like remembering your ex. Actually it's like being with someone clearly better and your ex is over in the corner drinking heavily.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Might get ripped apart for this . But if Wheelers contract wasn’t over in 2 years I would probably say he’s earned the C back

He’s being selfless , hard working , leading by example, his attitude is light years better then in years past. He’s basically a captain without a letter right now and it’s showing
He was the defacto captain for a time before Ladd left. My presumption is he is feeling healthy and rejuvenated by the new coaching staff. I’m fine with him doing captain things without the letter on his sweater.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Good win by the team. When this team they are really, really hard to play against and the changes have been refreshing.

Also a good tribute to one of hockey's good guys in PMO. Wish him, and Jamie, nothing but the best in Florida.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Agreed. I don't think the C should have been stripped in the first place and the way he has handled the situation is proof of that. Most people including most here wouldn't be able to handle a situation like that the way Wheeler has.

I don't get this. To me, the way he's "handled" the situation shows that he's better without the C. Why put that burden back on him when it's pretty obvious he was weighed down by it? Personally, I think it'd be nuts to make him captain again...and I don't know if he'd even want the job.

Captain Wheeler....He's surly. Moody. Doesn't seem very happy. Isn't really playing great. Maybe some of the team feels like he's too serious. Let's make a change.

"Wheeler! You're not Captain anymore. Go play hockey!"

2 months later...

"Wow! Lookit that guy go! He's great! Seems to be loving the game again! We should make him Captain!"

:huh:

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is a good enough team to drive ticket sales. The socioeconomic climate has changed, and is making people more reticent to go. I'm barely floating as it is.

Yeah it's going to take another couple of years before things stabilize imo.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
PoMo post game same old BS. What a great salesman!
"These men, are big men. And I am serious. <<channels Captain Kirk>> Look. At. The. Staal. Brothers. <<Kirk out>> Olympic Gold and a Stanley Cup. With these guys, you don't need to worry about shifts, minutes, usage. You just use them. I just use them. If I could clone Eric Staal, accelerate his growth through the juniors and then find a way to make him bigger (which I will, trust me), then, look out. (waves hands). Sure, not every game will be a blow out in our favour but there are good components here. "

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Might get ripped apart for this . But if Wheelers contract wasn’t over in 2 years I would probably say he’s earned the C back

He’s being selfless , hard working , leading by example, his attitude is light years better then in years past. He’s basically a captain without a letter right now and it’s showing
My hunch is Wheeler didn’t want to be captain anymore. I think he’s much happier not dealing with media on a regular basis.

Point taken though - he looks good out there.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
The way Scheifele talks about Maurice’s exit and Bones coming on board is just so telling.

The team had totally checked out on Paul, it’s fascinating to see Scheifele just basically say that without directly saying it.

Anyone have a link to this?

I haven't been able to find it.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
"These men, are big men. And I am serious. <<channels Captain Kirk>> Look. At. The. Staal. Brothers. <<Kirk out>> Olympic Gold and a Stanley Cup. With these guys, you don't need to worry about shifts, minutes, usage. You just use them. I just use them. If I could clone Eric Staal, accelerate his growth through the juniors and then find a way to make him bigger (which I will, trust me), then, look out. (waves hands). Sure, not every game will be a blow out in our favour but there are good components here. "
1670421700807.png

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Yeah I'm surprised at Mark's comments, thought he and Paul were good buds
Glad to see him seemingly enjoying the change
. Pomo has become a unifying factor. Any video of players reacting during the tribute?

My hunch is Wheeler didn’t want to be captain anymore. I think he’s much happier not dealing with media on a regular basis.

Point taken though - he looks good out there.
Wheels has always been a slow starter. He is hitting peak 26 now.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Great win. Really enjoyable game.

You just have to listen to the pre and post game press conferences to understand why we are so much better off with Bones vs Maurice.

Pregrame, Maurice was already setting the lowest expectations and making excuses about why they might lose:

"Last game of the road trip, ... you got 5 guys out ... what kind of energy level can you get to". Then in the post game talking about not having any legs left, I guess forgetting that their last game was Saturday.

I prefer Bones setting high expectations for the group like calling out the skaters after the hideous 1st period against the Ducks like - it's a mans game, these are grown men, you don't need a baby sitter, be ready to play.

Then in the post game Bones is asked if they talk about the standings. He is like (paraphrasing), that's what we are here for, Standings. You have to make the playoffs. So you gotta pay attention to the standings... Do you want to be here fighting for 1st or do you want to be fighting for your life.

Yeah, professional sports. Urgency. Results matter. Where you are in the standings every day matters. We finally have a coach that says it out loud and sets the right expectations with the players, instead of preloading games with a boatload full of excuses why the team would lose - I got so tired of Maurice doing that.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I won't say how I know, but I know that one of the major reasons PoMo left was because there was someone on the room he couldn't stand.

As it was told to me (from the guy PoMo told - mods message me if needed) was that Scotty Bowman once said to him that it's time to get out when you're at the rink and you're dreading that one guy coming in in the morning.

At the time inwas told this I wasn't sure who was being referred to, but I'd guess now it was shief
Who knows what was really going on but this take makes sense -
I honestly believe there was a huge gap between these two and I'd guess it that it had something to do with Maurice losing Scheif's respect.

We can all formulate what might have caused that but I'd assume Mo was unable to get Scheif moving and Scheif was tired of being told to pick up his pace and play some defense.
That's a spark that can light a fire and from there, I can see the rest of the team tuning out what would likely be an obvious problem between the coach and the top center - in other words, a major disruption in the room.

Scheif's response or method in dealing with the issue is to stop playing - Maurice's response is to stop coaching.
Both are not saying much on the topic - which is a good thing.
Regardless, it's great that it is now behind us

Reactions: surixon

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I saw in another thread a comment alluding to the D corps that Maurice had with the Jets was bad.
Going into last night's game: Maurice managed 13 wins and 16 losses (Ws & Ls) in his last 29 games with the Jets last year with this same D corps. Then he quit. Going into last night, 15 wins already this year after only 23 games under new coach, with new systems (that's the coaches job) that have led to significant reduction in high danger chances against, and hence a significant reduction in goals against. And huge improvement in special teams PK. Same D corps. Fully expect that Maurice admirers will somehow come up with "that's different".

In the end in professional sports, results are what matters. The coach matters.

Reactions: macmaroon

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Why not for Gagner? AJF at least can play faster than everyone else. Gagner hasn’t looked good since the early portion of the season. But I do think that Harkins should get back in.

He doesn't generate much with the puck on his stick. Once he has the puck not enough shots are generated, both him and Saku are similar in that way and ideally no more than 1 of them is in the lineup at the same time and for now Saku gets the edge due to his points.

Gagner generates a lot of chances in the ozone. The Jets odds of getting a 4th line goal are much higher with him on the ice than AJF.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Which begs the question why ownership/management elected to keep him around as long as they did. The minute the coach losses your franchise player it's game over. I doubt Mark was alone in his thoughts either.

There are dozens of coaches of the caliber of Maurice around that can be had fairly easily. It's incredibly hard find elite talent though.

In a word, Chipman. It's all here:

"We have been blessed by the coaching of Paul Maurice,” True North Sports & Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman said at the Jets’ Hall of Fame Luncheon, where he announced the extension.

Also, Chipman: Longevity, trust and humanity.

Anyway, all that has been litigated here plenty. I think we can agree that Mo was an excellent hire in 2015, bringing a much more rigorous and professional mindset to the team along with enhanced training, fitness and game prep routines.

After 2019, he was no longer the right coach for the job, but Chipman is, IMO, a guy who falls in love with people, and he fell hard for Maurice.

Now it looks we also have the right coach for the job this time around, and I have no doubt that he's looking to coach like hell for 2 years and then move into the semi-retirement he's clearly been aiming for.

I'm just really happy to be able watch a team that almost always looks like it has a shot in a game (I see you, CBJ!) and is looking to win it, and I can't wait to see how they look once Nik's back in the fold, even if it takes him a while to bed in.

Yes, we are blessed. Again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad