John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
schism
[ˈs(k)izəm]

NOUN
  1. a split or division between strongly opposed sections or parties, caused by differences in opinion or belief:
    "the widening schism between so called leaders and real players... Vezina players..." · "the persistence of this Helle' could produce schism within PoMo's room

tenor.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is a good example of the short falls of advanced stats. The Panthers where much better then us according to the stats but not by my eye test. Almost all of the Panthers "good chances" came head on with Helle set and seeing it. I don't care who you are you aren't beating a goalie of Helle's caliber on a shot he is set for and can see. It puts into context why Florida has good numbers but sub par finish. Maurices disdain for the seam pass is going to hurt his team. Meanwhile we made the goalies move on our goals and as a result imo we not only had the more dangerous chances but also scored more goals.

Helle was very good.

Top pairing was matched with our third line most of the game and did a solid job.

Second pairing with another strong game, like how Pionk's playing. Dillion just doing his job.

Third pairing, some hiccups with puck control from this duo but was generally pretty good.

Top line: I thought the lines timing was a bit off through two periods but started clicking again in the third. They aren't going to be on every night but I liked that even when a bit off they didn't give up much of anything defensively and still had the larger share of good looks.

Second line: It was the Dubois and Conner show, excellent night from both of them. Mike took a bit to get comfortable but by the third was back to doing the things he does well. Glad to see this line heat up, the top line wasn't going to continue to shoot at 15% forever.

Third line: They were decent but once again didn't generate much and had a hard time in their end. I get it's a bit of a makeshift line due to injuries but I'm not sure I like them as a hard match line. I'm also not sure I like our best offensive dmen behind them.

Fourth line was ok but didn't play much. Gus was fairly invisible and Gagner looked slow out there. I think he sits next game.

Special teams were both good.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This is a good example of the short falls of advanced stats. The Panthers where much better then us according to the stats but not by my eye test. Almost all of the Panthers "good chances" came head on with Helle set and seeing it. I don't care who you are you aren't beating a goalie of Helle's caliber on a shot he is set for and can see. It puts into context why Florida has good numbers but sub par finish. Maurices disdain for the seam pass is going to hurt his team. Meanwhile we made the goalies move on our goals and as a result imo we not only had the more dangerous chances but also scored more goals.

Helle was very good.

Top pairing was matched with our third line most of the game and did a solid job.

Second pairing with another strong game, like how Pionk's playing. Dillion just doing his job.

Third pairing, some hiccups with puck control from this duo but was generally pretty good.

Top line: I thought the lines timing was a bit off through two periods but started clicking again in the third. They aren't going to be on every night but I liked that even when a bit off they didn't give up much of anything defensively and still had the larger share of good looks.

Second line: It was the Dubois and Conner show, excellent night from both of them. Mike took a bit to get comfortable but by the third was back to doing the things he does well. Glad to see this line heat up, the top line wasn't going to continue to shoot at 15% forever.

Third line: They were decent but once again didn't generate much and had a hard time in their end. I get it's a bit of a makeshift line due to injuries but I'm not sure I like them as a hard match line. I'm also not sure I like our best offensive dmen behind them.

Fourth line was ok but didn't play much. Gus was fairly invisible and Gagner looked slow out there. I think he sits next game.

Score effects are so strong in hockey, I really hope every advanced stat makes some allowance for them.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

Helle was very good.

Always appreciate your analysis @surixon

81B8E9BB-A050-45D7-8DE6-B33DD43855A2.gif

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Score effects are so strong in hockey, I really hope every advanced stat makes some allowance for them.
Of course there is. It's no different to football and qbs or receivers padding their stats in garbage time.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
As long as they aren't spectacularly bad, I'm OK with that
They barely play and usually 10 mins or less for a reason. They're ineffective. I didn't think we could get less offense from previous 4cs (ie Thompson, Toninato) but here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad