Blue Jays Discussion: 1B Chris Colabello tests positive for PEDs; Suspended 80 games by MLB

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
I'm excited for Hollon too, though he's not in short season ball, but when his drug suspension ends probably Lansing. Based on my count May 10th his suspension ends.

Is he allowed to be training with the team while suspended?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Time to sit Goins. Ryan's .160/.200/.235 slash line through 85 plate appearances is brutal
Smoak looks lost and has no power

Bring in Barney and Dominguez for a few

I find it hard to believe the Jays team leader in OBP at .404 looks "lost" at the plate. Among players leaguewide with at least 50 plate appearances, he has the second highest walk rate and and the highest LD%. His approach has been outstanding: he's laying off pitches outside of the zone and making hard contact. If anything, I want to see him in the lineup every day.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This team is just awful

Bullpen is just a joke
The offense is embarrassing

Time to move Bau and EE and retool.

Yep, 3.5 games out of a playoff spot and just 135 games left to play. Probably a good time to give up on the season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I find it hard to believe the Jays team leader in OBP at .404 looks "lost" at the plate. Among players leaguewide with at least 50 plate appearances, he has the second highest walk rate and and the highest LD%. His approach has been outstanding: he's laying off pitches outside of the zone and making hard contact. If anything, I want to see him in the lineup every day.

He's getting the walks (11) so he's obviously seeing things better but that's about all he's getting. We need more production from a first baseman
18 strike outs with 40 at bats
One double 4 RBI's, no home-runs

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He's getting the walks (11) so he's obviously seeing things better but that's about all he's getting. We need more production from a first baseman
18 strike outs with 40 at bats
One double 4 RBI's, no home-runs

His overall production is almost identical to last year (105 wRC+ right now vs. 107 last year), he's just doing it by getting on base a ton instead of just hitting for power. Production is production, and wanting a specific type of production because of a player's defensive position is how you end up with people disliking Joey Votto.

Really, he's been fine, and the good process (making hard contact, not chasing pitches) suggests he should keep producing.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Some of it has to do with where he is in the lineup. Martin isn't hitting, Thole ...is Thole, Goins isn't hitting and Tulo has been...ok.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Tulo has been OK? Seriously? We are paying a guy 30 million to hit 165? OK.

His BABIP is .179. You can count on league average to be roughly ~.300, so essentially he's been one of the most unlucky players in the league so far. His career average is above .300, and it's not like he's Pujols who can barely beat out a single to right field. He'll pick it up when balls start finding holes again at even a below-average rate.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
'Ok' may have been a stretch
He's hit a few HR's but other than that, has been sub-par at the plate
I have faith he'll turn it around, but as time goes on (because he hasn't really hit well since he got here) that faith is waning

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
People keep using excuses for Tulo. The guy has sucked at the plate dating back to his last couple months with Colorado. Sometimes guys stop being good rather quickly. I have a hard time believing this is a 6 month slump.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
People keep using excuses for Tulo. The guy has sucked at the plate dating back to his last couple months with Colorado. Sometimes guys stop being good rather quickly. I have a hard time believing this is a 6 month slump.

If verifiable, objective data are excuses to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
"Stats, who needs em? It's all excuses in my books"

old.jpg

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

He's fallen back into a slump the last few games, but even still... a 101 wRC+ over the last 17 games despite a .194 BABIP. With his defense, that's a really solid SS. With even a bit of BABIP regression, he's an All-Star again.

He's been frustrating to watch and nowhere near the Tulo we saw prior to the trade, but I think his demise has been greatly exaggerated.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
He's fallen back into a slump the last few games, but even still... a 101 wRC+ over the last 17 games despite a .194 BABIP. With his defense, that's a really solid SS. With even a bit of BABIP regression, he's an All-Star again.

He's been frustrating to watch and nowhere near the Tulo we saw prior to the trade, but I think his demise has been greatly exaggerated.
How is it greatly exaggerated? The guy has elite defence no doubt but you don't get paid 20 million for only that! He can't hit. Everyone is ******** on Goins but at least Goins is making what he should make. Tulo is worth a quarter of his contract right now and I see no end in sight. Bring this post back up if he ever comes around with the bat. He will end the year hitting below 230.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How is it greatly exaggerated? The guy has elite defence no doubt but you don't get paid 20 million for only that! He can't hit. Everyone is ******** on Goins but at least Goins is making what he should make. Tulo is worth a quarter of his contract right now and I see no end in sight. Bring this post back up if he ever comes around with the bat. He will end the year hitting below 230.

It's greatly exaggerated because of everything I just posted.

Fun fact: in 290 plate appearances with the Jays, Tulo has been worth 1.6 fWAR, which is on pace for 3.3 fWAR per 600 plate appearances. That would put him somewhere around the top 5-6 SS in baseball. At a value of $7 million/WAR on the free agent market (which is probably a bit low, but it works) he would be worth $23 million. He makes $20 million.

Tulo has been worth the money he's made with the Jays, and the only reason you "see no end in sight" to his struggles is because you're actively trying to avoid seeing it.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Tulos OPS+ is 75. Now obviously thats not great, but you guys are acting like the sky is falling with Tulo. It happens. What's more annoying is the flip flopping from fans overreacting to 1 game, or even a small sample size like 1 month, in a 162 game season.

Jays were below .500 in like August last year and won the division. Stop overreacting to every single little problem. It's tiresome

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Tulos OPS+ is 75. Now obviously thats not great, but you guys are acting like the sky is falling with Tulo. It happens. What's more annoying is the flip flopping from fans overreacting to 1 game, or even a small sample size like 1 month, in a 162 game season.

Jays were below .500 in like August last year and won the division. Stop overreacting to every single little problem. It's tiresome

The two problems I find with a lot of the things people are saying referring to the Jays' success last year are that I believe it really isn't fair to expect the Jays to have a 60 game stretch like they had last year, like they can just turn on a switch, and secondly, the Jays have had one playoff year in the last however many, as we all know. Sure, the players have a pedigree and that leads me to believe they will snap out of it and play up to their potential over the course of the season(which sadly isn't the 60 games last year over an entire season), but as a team and a franchise, all they have to fall back on is last year.

Right now they aren't the Red Wings or Yankees or Patriots at their peaks in a slump, they are a team with one year of true success. I think it's really important for them to snap out of it quickly and get hitting the ball, just put it in play.

One way or another games do matter in April, they count. So far the only person I've heard say anything similar is Donaldson, apparently he thinks it's too late in the season to be making base running mistakes, or having the same approach at the plate that clearly isn't working, and he's probably got a good idea of the intricacies of the game...

Side note, was at the game last night and it was a really great game that came down to inches, but what a cannon from right field to get Saunders. :amazed:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The two problems I find with a lot of the things people are saying referring to the Jays' success last year are that I believe it really isn't fair to expect the Jays to have a 60 game stretch like they had last year, like they can just turn on a switch, and secondly, the Jays have had one playoff year in the last however many, as we all know. Sure, the players have a pedigree and that leads me to believe they will snap out of it and play up to their potential over the course of the season(which sadly isn't the 60 games last year over an entire season), but as a team and a franchise, all they have to fall back on is last year.

Right now they aren't the Red Wings or Yankees or Patriots at their peaks in a slump, they are a team with one year of true success. I think it's really important for them to snap out of it quickly and get hitting the ball, just put it in play.

One way or another games do matter in April, they count. So far the only person I've heard say anything similar is Donaldson, apparently he thinks it's too late in the season to be making base running mistakes, or having the same approach at the plate that clearly isn't working, and he's probably got a good idea of the intricacies of the game...

Side note, was at the game last night and it was a really great game that came down to inches, but what a cannon from right field to get Saunders. :amazed:

What that poster's getting at is that baseball is a long season, which means one month is a small window to a larger sample size. At the end of the year, all teams are going to have months where they were inconsistent and even downright bad. And with how unsustainably awful so much of our lineup has been in April, it's safe to say that won't continue long. But if a month like this came in, say, August after several months of playing better ball, people wouldn't be reacting the way they are.

Because in the right context, the magnitude of one month of the season becomes clear - and it doesn't have the predictive validity that some people are placing on it. There are good months, bad months, and in-between months for most teams; most aren't straight as an arrow all the way through. That's because baseball is a sport with so much luck involved, so much that's out of the players' control. But it's also a long season, so some of that evens out over time.

So the point isn't to dissuade people from saying the Jays have to play better, they most certainly do; it's to dissuade them from blowing things out of proportion and overreacting to the worth they're placing on this month's results. Because history shows that there isn't nearly enough data to go on to make any strong conclusions about the quality of this year's team.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
^ Preach (both posts)

There's a difference between 'don't look at the standings until late June' and 'who cares that this team is 12-15.' A lot of people are missing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad