Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I've heard they also teach English here in Finland. Have you heard?

But no 17-year old speaks it that well and fluently, if not being in a different country thanks to parent's job or something.

It doesn't seem to be that case for Pellikka.

SHL lockerroom could use english as their team talk language, but Pellikka has been there only for half season and they had only 1 english speaking Mascherin there and german Kuhnhackl. That Skellefteå team was probably most swedish team in SHL.

If remembering Simon Edvinsson, who had huge struggles to speak english at same point of career.
I can only speak for Norway, but I assume it is the same in Sweden. We learn English from when we start in school at six years of age.

Movies are not dubbed here like they are in other parts of Europe, and English is the language we use when we are in other non-Nordic countries. If I am in Sweden or Denmark, I just speak Norwegian. In Finland, I speak poor Swedish, and they somehow understand me.

He speaks fluently, yes, but there are a few that speaks as fluently in every classroom.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I thought about this that we have two pretty distinct camps of people and this draft pissed both of them off at the same time. Haha

You have guys who want size, grit, power and a guy like Danielson fits that bill so awesome. But normally they are also the “no midgets! No softies! Don’t want Debrincat! Hate Hronek”, so liking the Danielson oick you get hit with ASP at 17.

Then there are the “Offense at all costs! We need dynamic play drivers!” Who probably loved the ASP pick up but we’re really disappointed by the piano puller Danielson when Benson was there.

Hahaha

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm sorry but there is no way he is a better skater than Molendyk, Simashev, Willander and even Gulyayev. Just my opinion but at the very least there is no chance someone that watches both think ASP is a better skater than Molendyk.
I think if you dislike the pick, it's probably because of this. ASP is a very good skater, but I'm not sure you'd call him elite. For smaller OFD, skating is often their defining feature but for ASP it's just another thing that he's good at.

To compensate though he isn't really that small and doesn't have trouble defending. So maybe he's not Quinn Hughes or Cale Makar, but I think there's a real chance at someone like Adam Fox in terms of style. I also do think that he has the skating fundamentals to become that elite guy if that's how he develops.

Reactions: Realgud

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I've heard they also teach English here in Finland. Have you heard?

But no 17-year old speaks it that well and fluently, if not being in a different country thanks to parent's job or something.

It doesn't seem to be that case for Pellikka.

SHL lockerroom could use english as their team talk language, but Pellikka has been there only for half season and they had only 1 english speaking Mascherin there and german Kuhnhackl. That Skellefteå team was probably most swedish team in SHL.

If remembering Simon Edvinsson, who had huge struggles to speak english at same point of career.

I wasn't joking or mocking if that is how you took it. Most countries don't teach other countries languages. In Canada you learn french in school, but that is only because Canada is considered bi-lingual.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I think if you dislike the pick, it's probably because of this. ASP is a very good skater, but I'm not sure you'd call him elite. For smaller OFD, skating is often their defining feature but for ASP it's just another thing that he's good at.

To compensate though he isn't really that small and doesn't have trouble defending. So maybe he's not Quinn Hughes or Cale Makar, but I think there's a real chance at someone like Adam Fox in terms of style. I also do think that he has the skating fundamentals to become that elite guy if that's how he develops.
Exactly. That is well summarized.

He's a good skater with a good technique but he doesn't generate as much speed as you'd like in all directions for a smaller defenseman. I do think his defensive iq is better than what people think and I think a comparison to Adam Fox makes more sense than Hughes or Makar (still got a long way to go to reach any of these comparisons, just imo). Like I explained in another post, he's almost there defensively but he's always a step behind and that mostly comes from his lack of explosiveness.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Exactly. That is well summarized.

He's a good skater with a good technique but he doesn't generate as much speed as you'd like in all directions for a smaller defenseman. I do think his defensive iq is better than what people think and I think a comparison to Adam Fox makes more sense than Hughes or Makar (still got a long way to go to reach any of these comparisons, just imo). Like I explained in another post, he's almost there defensively but he's always a step behind and that mostly comes from his lack of explosiveness.
Yeah to be clear, as always, comparables are to the best players in the league because that's who everyone understands really well. To actually become one of those guys is really unlikely.

hot donut

Oct 7, 2020
Yes, curse words at least.
Right, I think there was a clip of him cursing in Finnish at the WJC. I think Gällivare is one of the Swedish municipalities where you have the right to use Finnish in (some) official contexts, kindergartens, elderly care, etc. Or at least it used to be so. But of course parents still need to pass the language on if the next generations are to speak it.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He sounds pretty projecty but I feel warming up to this pick a bit. 5'11'' is smaller but really not small if he bulks up.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I thought about this that we have two pretty distinct camps of people and this draft pissed both of them off at the same time. Haha

You have guys who want size, grit, power and a guy like Danielson fits that bill so awesome. But normally they are also the “no midgets! No softies! Don’t want Debrincat! Hate Hronek”, so liking the Danielson oick you get hit with ASP at 17.

Then there are the “Offense at all costs! We need dynamic play drivers!” Who probably loved the ASP pick up but we’re really disappointed by the piano puller Danielson when Benson was there.

Hahaha

I doubt either guy was exactly either groups first choice either

like even as someone that's definitely more in that second group while I do like this pick i'm still not exactly crazy about passing on Perreault too after not taking Benson

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If he has the tools, 5'11" is fine. A bunch of the top Ds in the NHL is around that size.

Makar 5'11
Fox 5'11
Q.Hughes 5'10
Karlsson 6'0
Morrissey 6'0
Montour 6'0
Letang 6'0
Barrie 5'11
DeAngelo 5'11
Gostisbehere 5'11

Those were Top32 at 2-season defenceman scoring.

Last edited:
Reactions: evolutionbaby

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I refuse to believe that everyone in the professional or journalistic world of scouting NHL draft prospects come to the same conclusion and are wrong in doing so. There are countless writeups stating along the lines of: "he's more competitive and engaged defensively than most prospects of his size and stature."

Meanwhile, Ogee will tell you that he's abnormally soft and an absolute sieve defensively.\

Listen, I'm not going to say that we drafted Mo Seider defensively, but enough people seem to believe that this kid competes hard and is a better defender than your traditional offense leaning defenseman profile.

Wheeler: "Though he’s not big, he’s athletic and he plays hard and engages in battles in the defensive zone with some sneaky strength. He’s got a good stick. He does a good job maintaining gaps and matching opposing forwards step-for-step skating backward, and times his close-outs and pinches effectively."

Pronman: "Sandin Pellikka lacks ideal NHL size for a defenseman but he competes well and doesn't shy from using his body to lay into opposing forwards. His defense will be his main question at the NHL level, but I think he plays hard enough to be a top-four defenseman."

Black Book: "What’s good for Pellikka, is that he is at least shown the ability to play a physical game when the play calls for it. That’s the main point. He doesn’t go out of his way to be nasty, he’s not a tenacious defender, but if he’s called upon to do it, he has shown he’s willing to try.

It’s fundamental to his game going forward for the following reason. When he initiates contact, he gets to control the fallout of that contact at a higher rate than if he was to be passive and instead absorb the contact. Pellikka is a very intelligent player, and his greatest defensive gift after his ability to anticipate defensive play is his ability to open up players out of contact so that he can simultaneously take them out of the play while identifying his highest percentage passing option.

Undersized defenseman need to be able to read the play well, and all Dmen have to take hits in order to make plays. They also have to be willing to physically engage even when they’re overmatched, and they must have the recovery tools necessary to get back into position. Pellikka checks a lot of boxes.

Speaking to his anticipation. He can anticipate both off transitional and cycle sequences, on both the strong side and weak side in advance. On his strong side, he’s quick to evaluate not only what the play driver is attempting to do after coming over Pellikka’s defensive line, but where the secondary option that he needs to cover is located as well.

This allows him to get in front of and ahead of give and go sequences so that he can intercept them or use his stick and body positioning to counteract them. Which brings us to our next attribute, which is his ability to process information rapidly off the puck. This is exceptionally important for this player, since it allows him to take advantage of his rapid pivoting and turning ability, which allows him to C-cut and close down his gap on proper angles, so that he can control
the geography of the rink against opposing wingers. We talk extensively about defenseman mitigating or reducing risk in a lot of our evaluations, and Axel is capable of that. But, there’s still limitations overall to his defensive upside.

He’s not as tenacious as Mikhail Gulyayev who will go out of his way to deliver a hit through an opponent as opposed to making a point of contact to close off a player like Pellikka usually does, and he doesn’t maintain the pace you see in fellow countrymen Tom Willander. Willander is busier than Pellikka, and overcommits at times on his defensive assignments while lacking structure in a way Pellikka doesn’t. Both of these defenders project to hold and stop a rush
with their frames at a better rate then Axel.

With that said, we still think he can hold up defensively and play meaningful minutes. The best aspect of Pellikka’s game is that he has the skill set necessary to reduce the total minutes he has to play in his own zone. You don’t need to rely on your defense and frame if your team is in control of the puck, and that’s the hallmark of Pellikka’s game."

EP: "I suppose this is the point where we’re supposed to tell you that becoming a more defensively sound player is going to be critical for Sandin Pellikka’s development, but that’s not really the case here, even if he is a smallish offensive defenceman. The Swedish blueliner is an engaged defender, particularly stout between the blue lines and along the boards."
I like your very nuanced review of ASP, but I'm not sure i would describe gulyavev as more tenacious. What I see is 2 you young men willing

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I like your very nuanced review of ASP, but I'm not sure i would describe gulyavev as more tenacious. What I see is 2 you young men willing
To make a hit. ASP, does so, only when necessary. Just a slight difference, but I don't see him out of position that often.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I wasn't joking or mocking if that is how you took it. Most countries don't teach other countries languages. In Canada you learn french in school, but that is only because Canada is considered bi-lingual.
Not true. Outside of our American system, it is the norm.

Reactions: luiginb

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Most of that post was that of various scouting services, not my own thoughts. Just illustrating that in scouting circles, ASP is acknowledged for battling hard and competent defensive play. Nobody is trying to imply he’s a lockdown defender.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

like even as someone that's definitely more in that second group while I do like this pick i'm still not exactly crazy about passing on Perreault too after not taking Benson

Perreault had the slowest feet in the entire draft including goalies. I would've gone the opposite direction with Moore. If his hockey IQ winds up being an issue he can be shifted to wing.

Not hating on ASP, I just think the team has enough young D that can move the puck.

Reactions: flychairman

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
ASP+ Kronwall= hockey star. Nest couple seasons under Kronwall supervision ASP could become something very good.

That could be the saving grace for ASP. Skelleftea doesn’t have the track record of developing prospects that Rogle, Frolunda, Lulea and Djurgarden have.

Without doing much research, the two most recent successes to pass through Skelleftea are Berggren and Broberg. They’re a good veteran SHL team but not great at development.

My hope is ASP is top 4 there next season. My worry is he’s the 7th defenseman and ends up in Allsvenskan.

Reactions: lilidk

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I was in that camp as well. I wanted Benson but I understood trying to shore up the center depth. I was really hoping for Perrault but I have to wonder why he was drafted where he was (5 other teams passed on him after the ASP pick) if he was such a prize?

Time will tell if the teams who passed on him will look like fools. Right now I'm pretty comfortable with the pick we made given how things panned out.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I was in that camp as well. I wanted Benson but I understood trying to shore up the center depth. I was really hoping for Perrault but I have to wonder why he was drafted where he was (5 other teams passed on him after the ASP pick) if he was such a prize?

Time will tell if the teams who passed on him will look like fools. Right now I'm pretty comfortable with the pick we made given how things panned out.
He drafted not much lower than he should be, but Cristall really feld to Washington right before our pick . I like a lot what Washington did, their rebuild will not last 10years

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He drafted not much lower than he should be, but Cristall really feld to Washington right before our pick . I like a lot what Washington did, their rebuild will not last 10years

Based on one draft pick, it's quite far fetched to say how long does their rebuild last. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad