Prospect Info: #166 Overall, LW Josh Filmon, Swift Current WHL

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Love the start, he's shooting 28% though. Getting more shots than last year so far which is good, but at 3 shots a game it's gonna be tough for him to break 30 goals.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Love the start, he's shooting 28% though. Getting more shots than last year so far which is good, but at 3 shots a game it's gonna be tough for him to break 30 goals.
3 shots per game, 50 game left. Would equate to 150 shots. 20 more goals to break 30. Assuming he keeps that shot pace, he only has to shoot 13% the rest of the way to hit 30. Last year he shot 13%.

The hot start probably gets him there even if he cools considerably.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
3 shots per game, 50 game left. Would equate to 150 shots. 20 more goals to break 30. Assuming he keeps that shot pace, he only has to shoot 13% the rest of the way to hit 30. Last year he shot 13%.

The hot start probably gets him there even if he cools considerably.

Okay, great, now look at players who scored 30 goals in their D+1. Here's U20 players' results from 2018-19, for instance. The Devils have barely drafted forwards out of junior the last few years and so people don't realize what going on a scoring tear like this means.

It's great that he's gotten off to this start, seems like he'll be a solid pro at least, which is huge for a guy drafted in the 6th round. But basically not having a forward to follow in junior since Zacha has had people forget what it means to score a good amount there.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Okay, great, now look at players who scored 30 goals in their D+1. Here's U20 players' results from 2018-19, for instance. The Devils have barely drafted forwards out of junior the last few years and so people don't realize what going on a scoring tear like this means.

It's great that he's gotten off to this start, seems like he'll be a solid pro at least, which is huge for a guy drafted in the 6th round. But basically not having a forward to follow in junior since Zacha has had people forget what it means to score a good amount there.
Except how many of them were drafted at 157 pounds and well over 6 feet tall? He’s the long term project that maybe pans out like Zetterlund if they are lucky. If Filmon can get up to 190 when he’s finished growing he’s a different player. I don’t think it’s fair to just look at his scoring totals. If he scores 40 this season but stays under 160 pounds I don’t think it would matter.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Which is a completely different topic.

Let's see how he finishes the year, probably not near a gpg pace, but possibly better then .5ish.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Except how many of them were drafted at 157 pounds and well over 6 feet tall? He’s the long term project that maybe pans out like Zetterlund if they are lucky. If Filmon can get up to 190 when he’s finished growing he’s a different player. I don’t think it’s fair to just look at his scoring totals. If he scores 40 this season but stays under 160 pounds I don’t think it would matter.
Ya his weight is an important measurement to watch.

And I don't think anyone expects him to score 60g's this year, still this is what you want from a prospect.

Side note: Just started to check other WHL teams to see what's a good goal rate, and the first team I clicked on was the 15-0 Red Deer Rebels. Their leading scorer is an undrafted 19 year old named Kai Uchacz. 15 goals in 15 games. Last year only had 14 in 52. That's almost certainly some hot shooting as well, but you wonder if he is one of those late blooming guys.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Not many, but that's a hard road ahead. I agree - guys who just get only a little bit better relative to their peers each year, as long as they keep progressing like that each year, can make the NHL as top 9 forwards. It's just not the expectation. Not a lot of guys go from 4th line AHLer to 1st line NHLer like Zetterlund has done.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Which is a completely different topic.

Let's see how he finishes the year, probably not near a gpg pace, but possibly better then .5ish.

I picked 30 goals as a round number I eyeballed. I can assure you that nobody besides him and Swift Current fans care if he scores 27 goals or 32, the order of magnitude is what is important and not the exact quantity.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think @Triumph's point above regarding shooting % does highlight that we should keep an eye on his shooting %.

Last year he shot 13%. This year it's at 28%. He likely won't maintain a 28% shooting, but if he is able to shoot 18% the rest of the year, then that is a nice signal that he has improved his scoring ability. If he cools off and drags his shooting % all the back to 13%, well then this hot stretch was merely a hot stretch.

I tend to think there is a lot in place, including a young team maturing together, to suggest he will maintain a shooting % better than what shot at last year.

I picked 30 goals as a round number I eyeballed. I can assure you that nobody besides him and Swift Current fans care if he scores 27 goals or 32, the order of magnitude is what is important and not the exact quantity.
When you have to explain your jokes.......

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not many, but that's a hard road ahead. I agree - guys who just get only a little bit better relative to their peers each year, as long as they keep progressing like that each year, can make the NHL as top 9 forwards. It's just not the expectation. Not a lot of guys go from 4th line AHLer to 1st line NHLer like Zetterlund has done.
Zetterlund is playing on the third line.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t know what describing Zetterlund as a “4th line AHLer” means here but everyone understands Filmon is a project.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don’t know what describing Zetterlund as a “4th line AHLer” means here but everyone understands Filmon is a project.

Zetterlund spent much of his first pro year on the 4th line in the AHL. Part of that was the knee injury he'd suffered and the Devils not wanting to rush him into anything.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Zetterlund spent much of his first pro year on the 4th line in the AHL. Part of that was the knee injury he'd suffered and the Devils not wanting to rush him into anything.

No one watching Bing in 2019-20 considered him a 4th liner (as the term is commonly used). His talent and his wrist shot was evident then even though he had to get stronger and put it together.

That’s player development for you, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. The exciting part is to have a promising prospect to work with and Filmon looks like he could be one.

I don’t see anyone looking for a promise of a 100% guaranteed NHL stud.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No one watching Bing in 2019-20 considered him a 4th liner (as the term is commonly used). His talent and his wrist shot was evident then even though he had to get stronger and put it together.

That’s player development for you, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. The exciting part is to have a promising prospect to work with and Filmon looks like he could be one.

I don’t see anyone looking for a promise of a 100% guaranteed NHL stud.

I think it was Jason's comment about the WJCs that got me to post in here thinking expectations needed to be tamped down a bit. Maybe Filmon is on the radar for the 2024 WJCs with a start like this, but I'd be shocked if they're thinking about him at all for this year.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think it was Jason's comment about the WJCs that got me to post in here thinking expectations needed to be tamped down a bit. Maybe Filmon is on the radar for the 2024 WJCs with a start like this, but I'd be shocked if they're thinking about him at all for this year.
Canadian brass aren't looking at sh% and what it means for his development moving forward, they are looking at the impact he could have in a short tourney. If he continues this torrid pace, unsustainable or not, Canada could take a closer look in camp. Players like him have been invited out of nowhere in the past.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Canadian brass aren't looking at sh% and what it means for his development moving forward, they are looking at the impact he could have in a short tourney. If he continues this torrid pace, unsustainable or not, Canada could take a closer look in camp. Players like him have been invited out of nowhere in the past.
It’s extremely unlikely for him as an 18 year old. As he said, maybe next year if he keeps this up but it’s really hard to make the Canada WJC team and I doubt he’s even on their radar for this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad