Prospect Info: #166 Overall, LW Josh Filmon, Swift Current WHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Filmon also added 2 assists last night.

He’s now at 7G and 5A through 9 games, which is a 91-point pace for anyone wondering (WHL season is 68 games).

Is this good for NHL expected prospects?

(I know its good for 5th rounders)

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

It's definitely good, especially for 5th rounders (and even 6th rounders, where Filmon was drafted :D).

But I wouldn't call it lights out. I've been excited for plenty of prospects who had big jumps in production in their draft+1 year only to never make it to the NHL. Cole Cassels was a Vancouver 3rd round pick in 2013 who went from 43p/64GP in his draft year to 73/61 in his d+1 and then 81/54 the next year. I was certain he was gonna be a massive steal, but the scoring never translated to the AHL. He was a good two-way player IIRC, but his skating and physical play weren't up to snuff, and Filmon could potentially be that type of player.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Pit it this way , he would have more points than Stillman , our 1st round pick from a prior draft. Kinda “meh” numbers for a 1st rounder but for where he was taken? Very good !
it`s not quite true.

For now it`s ok to good for first rounder.

If you wait impact player, you should wait 1.35+ ppg from D+1 season from WHL player. Better to have 1.5 ppg. Everything less could bring you NHL player in theory, but you have no insurance. He is 1.33 for now.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nice start for Filmon but with the exception of Jake DeBrusk, Cody Eakin and a couple of other players Swift Current has not had a lot of success in producing NHL players in the past few decades (yes, Joe Sakic played there).

Obviously coaches have changed but the Broncos generally don't have access to as many players as say Portland, Edmonton or some of the other "haves" in the WHL.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Nice start for Filmon but with the exception of Jake DeBrusk, Cody Eakin and a couple of other players Swift Current has not had a lot of success in producing NHL players in the past few decades (yes, Joe Sakic played there).

Obviously coaches have changed but the Broncos generally don't have access to as many players as say Portland, Edmonton or some of the other "haves" in the WHL.

Hmm. Bummer. But wouldn't that fact suggest that success at Swift would be more impressive than relatively similar success at Portland et al ? Or no?

Reactions: glenwo2

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hmm. Bummer. But wouldn't that fact suggest that success at Swift would be more impressive than relatively similar success at Portland et al ? Or no?
Not sure to be honest and being in the East not as familiar with WHL as other two junior leagues.

But if you go by the draft there are generally teams that have the majority of their players selected. While others generally fill the roster with 19 and 20 year olds that head to Canadian college hockey or in some cases minor pro.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 CHL 1st round pick Fs in draft+1 year:

#3 Mason McTavish: 29 games, 20-27-47
#9 Dylan Guenther: 59 games, 45-46-91
#16 Brennan Othmann: 66 games, 50-47-97
#17 Zachary Bolduc: 65 games, 55-44-99
#21 Fabian Lysell: 53 games, 22-40-62
#22 Xavier Bourgeault: 43 games, 36-39-75
#23 Wyatt Johnston: 68 games, 46-78-124
#27 Zachary L'Heureux: 46 games, 22-34-56
#28 Oskar Olausson: 55 games, 26-23-49
#29 Chase Stillman: 59 games, 19-30-49
#30 Zachary Dean: 47 games, 21-31-52

Josh Filmon's 12 points in 9 games put him at a 91 point pace over a normal WHL 68 game season. This would put him well behind the pace of likely future NHL first-line stars like McTavish, Johnston and Guenther and also behind high-upside first-rounders like Othmann, Bolduc and Bourgeault.

However, Filmon is keeping pace with a couple of very good prospects in L'Heureux and Lysell, while surpassing the pace of a trio of players who would have no chance at remaining first-round picks in a 2021 re-draft -- Olausson, Stillman and Dean.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s only been 9 games and he has 5 points in his last 2 games. He could cool down or maybe he’s going to go on a tear. Who know what his pace is.

How he projects is real questions, it sure looks like he’ll get his points.

He’s playing with a 1st round pick, Owen Pickering, so the Pens are sure hoping that the team can produce future NHLers.

The Ducks drafted Connor Hvidston in the 5th Rd and the Panthers drafted Josh Davies in 6th Rd
off the Broncos so it will be interesting to see which late pick forwards do better in the future.

The legendarily named Reid Dyck was taken by the Bruins in the 6th Rd so they did have 5 players drafted in 2022.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
looks like he's got a nice shot. he also looks needs to put on about 20-25 lbs which he very well may as he's only 18 lol but I'm irrationally hyped for him. he's my new patrick moynihan (I know their playstyles are different)

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
A lot of the WHL teams are in small cities so that allows most players to focus on themselves and their skills. Its western Canada where everyone is hockey crazed and hundreds of people sign up to become billet families for these kids. They endure lots of long bus rides as its a big league that has teams is far off corners of the west. Kids end up having lots of camaraderie since they only have each other for a lonnng period of time. outside of the usual I'm a hockey kid ego they aren't very egotistical compared OHL and Quebec players. Over the years I've noticed that players that make it to the NHL can start to develop vices as they aren't used to the big cities of the NHL and having it all laid in front of them like that.

the WHL usually been seen as a hard hitting defence league however I'm a bit confused this year because its seems to be way more high scoring then usual.

and as I mentioned before Swift Current is a very dead town so there will be no distractions for him. He seems like a kid that likes to always practice his game so I think him being there is good for him. If he was with the Prince Albert Raiders I would be concerned about him as I remember that team having lots of off ice controversies a while back.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Might have to go to a Oil Kings game when the Bronco's come through.

I took a peek to see if Swift Current goes to Seattle but unfortunately it's on a Tuesday night. Been overdue to invite myself up to visit my college friends up there. Regina (Connor Bedard) doesn't make a visit this year either.

Reactions: My3Sons

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I took a peek to see if Swift Current goes to Seattle but unfortunately it's on a Tuesday night. Been overdue to invite myself up to visit my college friends up there. Regina (Connor Bedard) doesn't make a visit this year either.
Yeah the only other 2023 draft WHL players that are worth looking at would be Brayden Yager(Moose Jaw Warriors) who is ranked 5th and Kalen Lind who supposedly plays like a old school "rat" player. don't see many of those anymore. Really is just Marchand.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It’s only been 9 games and he has 5 points in his last 2 games. He could cool down or maybe he’s going to go on a tear. Who know what his pace is.

How he projects is real questions, it sure looks like he’ll get his points.

He’s playing with a 1st round pick, Owen Pickering, so the Pens are sure hoping that the team can produce future NHLers.

The Ducks drafted Connor Hvidston in the 5th Rd and the Panthers drafted Josh Davies in 6th Rd
off the Broncos so it will be interesting to see which late pick forwards do better in the future.

The legendarily named Reid Dyck was taken by the Bruins in the 6th Rd so they did have 5 players drafted in 2022.
If the Bruins one day put Reid Dyck on a line with Brad Marchand, I can't wait to see what nickname people propose to give the line.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He's becoming my favourite Digimon.

coleman.jpg

It's too bad Filmon can't be a direct replacement for Coleman. I guess there's still hope for Chase Stillman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad