Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The SHL is a better league, that doesn't necessarily make it the better league for every prospect's development. There is no way of p;roving that a year in the SHL is of more value to a prospect's development than if he'd played elsewhere. Nor should one dismiss the possibility that SY was right if it's true he would have preferred MBN to play in GR this year, if only for the simple reason that he would have more influence on MBN'S development than he will have now with MBN in Skelleftea. He also probably knows there is no downside to MBN playing there and in the long run won't make any difference.

When a player has success in the NHL, it's almost entirely a product of his own resources. There are always key individuals or moments that an NHL player will credit for what he has become, but if the player himself had not been willing to learn from that key individual or able to incorporate those key moments into becoming a better player, they wouldn't have led to his NHL success. Other prospects have the same coach, same skating instructor, similarly strong supportive family, same game opportunities and don't make it.

If a prospect has enough talent, the right amount of good work habits, commitment, intelligence, confidence, ability to adapt, he will be successful. If they are inherently part of him, they will not be coached out of him, or disappear if playing temporarily with the wrong linemates or not used on a PP X number of minutes. They will not be lost on a road trip of long bus rides. The idea that a prospect might have had a significantly different NHL outcome if he'd only been given a chance one season with better linemates or promoted sooner or promoted later or assigned elsewhere for a year is mostly just excuse-making by fans who were wrong about a prospect and need a scapegoat.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Thing is, I am all for whatever gets him ready with the big club the quickest. This may, and I stress MAY, delay him a year now. I can see a scenario where the Wings want him to prove it at the AHL level and now that will have to be next year, instead of this year.

I don't see a scenario where MBN goes straight from the SHL to the NHL.

If he would have chosen AHL, it would have needed 1,5-2 seasons there.

Now it will be 1 SHL season and 0,5-1 AHL-season or AHL/NHL split season.

No difference.

Reactions: Dempsey

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I like the SHL dev route. Good development path and they can play a few months or a season in AHL to adjust. Gives them another year in their home country probably more ice time and doesn't hurt development at all

Reactions: heyfolks

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Don't love this. It's a red flag a bit whether we like it or not.

Getting on Yzerman's bad side hasn't proven well for a single player in the org since he became GM.

With that said, I believe, since he is signed, the Wings had the ability to tell him where to go, if it was that important to them, then they should have told him it will be the AHL.
But let's not forget I believe he did sign the SHL first, if he is simply honoring his word on his contract if he doesn't make the NHL, he is back with the team he signed with first.

The wings do have some leverage, but I cannot see SY holding a grudge against a kid who chooses to hold to his word.

I don't see it as a red flag, it is not like he left the wings as an UFA or something, it is a very grown-up 19 year old sticking to his word with his original team.

If the difference to SY is MBN is not ready for full time NHL until after Christmas next year because he plays SHL this season instead of being ready next October, it is not a big deal, SY has to meter how the kids come aboard to the wings anyway.

The other added bonus for what it is worth, is if both he and ASP come over next year, they will likely have a support system in each other being teammates this season.

Journalist will always try to create click bait where none exists, did SY try hard to convince him? Very likely, is going to hold a grudge? I doubt it.

I think the only small concern I would have is if MBN loses some of the physicality of his game playing in the SHL versus AHL, we don't want him to turn into an Elmer, but given MBN's style of play, I am not that worried at all.

Reactions: heyfolks

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
More interesting stuff coming out of that meeting. Sounds like Yzerman thinks MBN is close to being NHL ready, and that's why he wanted to keep him in GR. If he played well there was a chance he could be called up this season already. Most players would be thrilled if they could grab such a chance.

So I'd say MBN made a mistake. Instead of listening to his boss, he listened to his Swedish agent. You may wonder how much Skellefteå paid this agent...

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Only 2 more days until we can stop creating ridiculous drama out of nothing
Only 2 more days until we can stop creating ridiculous drama out of nothing
Only 2 more days...
This.

I was privy to some inside info Sunday night, as it pertains to MBN and the Wings discussion. Did Yzerman want him in GR? Yes. Did MBN insist on Sweden? Yes. Was Yzerman disappointed? Yes. But that's pretty much it. Any drama beyond that is made up attention-seeking. The meeting was intense only insofar as every interaction with Yzerman is intense. The relationship isn't fractured, Yzerman is not going to hold MBN back, everyone can stop worrying.

Now, since the AHL would very likely help prepare MBN for the NHL more quickly (due to opportunities/greater focus on development), this could indeed delay MBN's NHL debut, although there's a lot of time between today and that day, so who knows. If he gets a big role in Skelleftea, then this all may be mostly a moot point, but the risk is that he gets somewhat buried there, and misses out on development. This is Yzerman's concern, and it is a legit one. MBN, however, was only interested in the AHL if he had a legit opportunity to get to the big club this season. But that's not a thing, and he knows it.

Lastly, just shuuuuuuut up about which league is better than the other. So tiring with all the biases and BS that is said on both sides of that argument. It's barely even a relevant point in this case, but some of you get so spun up with that debate that you wind up as a cat chasing its tail.

Dresden

Nov 8, 2022
Why would MBN want to be in GR when Y lets his prospects rot on the vine in GR? He just turned 19 so he knows he's not seeing the show anytime soon.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think we should trust people who were involved. There was talk about a tense meeting, this tells me Yzerman was irritated and not happy at all about MBN's decision.

But I don't think it means Yzerman will turn his back on MBN, like MBN did on him. The kid is a 1st round pick and too much of a talent. Whatever happened I think they will put it behind them and move on. We'll probably see MBN in a Wings jersey next year in the 25-26 season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think we should trust people who were involved. There was talk about a tense meeting, this tells me Yzerman was irritated and not happy at all about MBN's decision.

But I don't think it means Yzerman will turn his back on MBN, like MBN did on him. The kid is a 1st round pick and too much of a talent. Whatever happened I think they will put it behind them and move on. We'll probably see MBN in a Wings jersey next year in the 25-26 season.
No they won't.

Only because that shit already happened about 5 seconds after the decision was made.

Reactions: izlez

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
This.

I was privy to some inside info Sunday night, as it pertains to MBN and the Wings discussion. Did Yzerman want him in GR? Yes. Did MBN insist on Sweden? Yes. Was Yzerman disappointed? Yes. But that's pretty much it. Any drama beyond that is made up attention-seeking. The meeting was intense only insofar as every interaction with Yzerman is intense. The relationship isn't fractured, Yzerman is not going to hold MBN back, everyone can stop worrying.

Now, since the AHL would very likely help prepare MBN for the NHL more quickly (due to opportunities/greater focus on development), this could indeed delay MBN's NHL debut, although there's a lot of time between today and that day, so who knows. If he gets a big role in Skelleftea, then this all may be mostly a moot point, but the risk is that he gets somewhat buried there, and misses out on development. This is Yzerman's concern, and it is a legit one. MBN, however, was only interested in the AHL if he had a legit opportunity to get to the big club this season. But that's not a thing, and he knows it.

Lastly, just shuuuuuuut up about which league is better than the other. So tiring with all the biases and BS that is said on both sides of that argument. It's barely even a relevant point in this case, but some of you get so spun up with that debate that you wind up as a cat chasing its tail.
Thank you Jaster, I will believe this and will walk away from the ledge now about this issue......for now. It will make for interesting box score watching of Skelleftea this year for sure.

But it is easy to speculate on this one, I don't blame anyone on this board for being somewhat nervous on this one.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
At least the Tweets ya'll are posting now are starting to reveal something closer to the truth than the original click-baity garbage that was trying to stir up drama lol.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Thank you Jaster, I will believe this amd will walk away from the ledge now about this issue......for now. It will make for interesting box score watching of Skelleftea this year for sure.

But it is easy to speculate on this on, I don't blame anyone on this board for being somewhat nervous on this one.
I get it, and we usually hang on every semi-credible tweet that provides information on juicy topics like this. Problem is, in this case, some tweets tried to lead us astray!

As long as MBN gets a significant role in Skelleftea, I think for the most part this will all be a wash, and there won't be any issues. The risk is just if he gets moved down the lineup and isn't provided good developmental opportunities. I think MBN is the type of player where that is a little less risky than for other teenagers, but I also don't know what the Skelleftea coaches are thinking. What will his role be? Stay tuned.

Last edited:

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Neither ASN or MBP played in Skelleftea's game today.

Trouble brewing between the Wings and the Swedish club??

• Haha
Reactions: jaster

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Says who? Your opinion that's all it is. Just because you prefer the SHL game doesn't make it a better league.

There are legit fans who say they prefer CHL juniors to the NHL, doesn't make that the better league.

Not a red flag at all. Just because Yzerman prefers him in NA, doesn't mean he is fuming mad about it. If MBN said he was fine either way and they still went with the kids choice, tells me they are more than fine with it.

It's not an opinion that the shl is a better league than the AHL. The SHL is on par or slightly lower than the khl. The AHL is below both.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It's not an opinion that the shl is a better league than the AHL. The SHL is on par or slightly lower than the khl. The AHL is below both.
9M7AW9HeM0g6plKXD5JtCjdijuZY6RisDNc1LStgo84.jpg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not an opinion? Ok, provide the facts.

As far as the actual thread we are posting in goes.... I am perfectly fine with MBN playing in either the AHL or SHL from a development standpoint.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Neither ASN or MBP played in Skelleftea's game today.

Trouble brewing between the Wings and the Swedish club??

I know you are joking but just so no one takes it seriously:

“I think this will be very beneficial, and I still think I like the approach of (Detroit) being open about him staying over here this year, or going back,” Lalonde praised. “I think that’s a luxury you don’t see a lot Credit back to our management group, the relationships they have with his European team.”

Another quote from a little while back that I think throws some more cold water on the whole situation.
“My agent had told me that Detroit will say what they mean, but they don't want to force me to do something if I don't want to, but I think it's my own choice,” Brandsegg-Nygård said Wednesday. “But if Detroit really wants me to be in a place, I think they can just put me there if they want to. But, they said they don't want to force me.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Again, this kind of thing happens pretty regularly between NHL teams and prospects. Whether it's a debate between Europe and the A, or between college and going pro.... no team operates exactly the same, but it's basically the norm where teams have their preference but let the prospect do what they want. It's an exceptional case when the team pushes hard for their side, and it's rare that these discussions lead to a fracture in the relationship.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Why would MBN want to be in GR when Y lets his prospects rot on the vine in GR?
Not this prospect. If Yzerman thinks MBN is almost NHL ready, then I'm sure GR would be a quicker route. That's why some people don't understand his decision including his former GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad