Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The SHL is a better league, that doesn't necessarily make it the better league for every prospect's development. There is no way of p;roving that a year in the SHL is of more value to a prospect's development than if he'd played elsewhere. No one should dismiss the possibility that SY was right if it's true he would have preferred MBN to play in GR this year, if only for the simple reason that he would have more influence on MBN'S development than he will have now with MBN in Skelleftea. He also probably knows there is no downside to MBN playing there and in the long run won't make any difference.

When a player has success in the NHL, it's almost entirely a product of his own resources. There are always key individuals or moments that an NHL player will credit for what he has become, but if the player himself had not been willing to learn from that key individual or able to incorporate those key moments into becoming a better player, they wouldn't have led to his NHL success. Other prospects have the same coach, same skating instructor, similarly strong supportive family, same game opportunities and don't make it.

If a prospect has enough talent, the right amount of good work habits, commitment, intelligence, confidence, ability to adapt, he will be successful. If they are inherently part of him, they will not be coached out of him, or disappear if playing temporarily with the wrong linemates or not used on a PP X number of minutes. They will not be lost on a road trip of long bus rides. The idea that a prospect might have had a significantly different NHL outcome if he'd only been given a chance one season with better linemates or promoted sooner or promoted later or assigned elsewhere for a year is mostly just excuse-making by fans who were wrong about a prospect and need a scapegoat.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Thing is, I am all for whatever gets him ready with the big club the quickest. This may, and I stress MAY, delay him a year now. I can see a scenario where the Wings want him to prove it at the AHL level and now that will have to be next year, instead of this year.

I don't see a scenario where MBN goes straight from the SHL to the NHL.

If he would have chosen AHL, it would have needed 1,5-2 seasons there.

Now it will be 1 SHL season and 0,5-1 AHL-season or AHL/NHL split season.

No difference.

Reactions: Dempsey

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I like the SHL dev route. Good development path and they can play a few months or a season in AHL to adjust. Gives them another year in their home country probably more ice time and doesn't hurt development at all

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Don't love this. It's a red flag a bit whether we like it or not.

Getting on Yzerman's bad side hasn't proven well for a single player in the org since he became GM.

With that said, I believe, since he is signed, the Wings had the ability to tell him where to go, if it was that important to them, then they should have told him it will be the AHL.
But let's not forget I believe he did sign the SHL first, if he is simply honoring his word on his contract if he doesn't make the NHL, he is back with the team he signed with first.

The wings do have some leverage, but I cannot see SY holding a grudge against a kid who chooses to hold to his word.

I don't see it as a red flag, it is not like he left the wings as an UFA or something, it is a very grown-up 19 year old sticking to his word with his original team.

If the difference to SY is MBN is not ready for full time NHL until after Christmas next year because he plays SHL this season instead of being ready next October, it is not a big deal, SY has to meter how the kids come aboard to the wings anyway.

The other added bonus for what it is worth, is if both he and ASP come over next year, they will likely have a support system in each other being teammates this season.

Journalist will always try to create click bait where none exists, did SY try hard to convince him? Very likely, is going to hold a grudge? I doubt it.

I think the only small concern I would have is if MBN loses some of the physicality of his game playing in the SHL versus AHL, we don't want him to turn into an Elmer, but given MBN's style of play, I am not that worried at all.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
More interesting stuff coming out of that meeting. Sounds like Yzerman thinks MBN is close to being NHL ready, and that's why he wanted to keep him in GR. If he played well there was a chance he could be called up this season already. Most players would be thrilled if they could grab such a chance.

So I'd say MBN made a mistake. Instead of listening to his boss, he listened to his Swedish agent. You may wonder how much Skellefteå paid this agent...

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad