Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Why is his name spelled wrong? It's supposed to be Nygård, not Nygaard.
We use American English; we don't accept that stupid thing above that A. ;) If you want an extra long A sound in your name, we just add another A. Welcome to the great melting pot! Or... at least we use to be, before everyone got offended about anything. :popcorn:

Reactions: David D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We use American English; we don't accept that stupid thing above that A. ;) If you want an extra long A sound in your name, we just add another A. Welcome to the great melting pot! Or... at least we use to be, before everyone got offended about anything. :popcorn:

And that norwegian Å is spelled as O.

He is "Nygord". not nygaard.

Like Raymond is raymond. Not Raymaand.

And for extra:

"Ny" means "new" and "gård" means a "farm".

"Brandsegg does not really mean anything as a word, but I could think it's "brann", like "burned" and "egg" is not chicken's egg, it also means a "blade"

"Burned blade", some kind of old blacksmith "how viking sword were made" could be that "Brandsegg".

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well now I'm really lost, So... is it said like Ny-Gourd and not like Ny-Guard? I've legit thought it's Ny-Guard(Nygaard) since draft night. Good to know going forward though.

:facepalm: We're getting off on a rough start.

Last edited:

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Bit of a spicy take coming here, but I bet if Tij wasn’t in this draft we’d see some MBN Jarome Iginla comparisons thrown out there. 6’1 power forward with a strong shot. Not saying he’ll become Iggy but I’m surprised I didn’t hear Craig Button throw in a “I see a little Jarome Iginla in him. You know I drafted Jarome…”

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I wonder why so soon? Is he coming here sooner than we thought?

Generally you see top picks being locked up fairly quickly. I'm sure he'll be at training camp and then it's up to him.

Generally you see top picks being locked up fairly quickly. I'm sure he'll be at training camp and then it's up to him.

And for extra:

"Brandsegg does not really mean anything as a word, but I could think it's "brann", like "burned" and "egg" is not chicken's egg, it also means a "blade"

"Burned blade", some kind of old blacksmith "how viking sword were made" could be that "Brandsegg".

Can his nickname be blade instead of taxi?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
ASP signed and is still going back to SHL.

I do find it interesting that he is signed sooner in his draft year while i thought ASP was signed a lot later than this last year. maybe his prospects camp was much much better if you were there 🤷‍♂️

of course, we only saw the tourny and not all the other stuff (right?)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
ASP signed and is still going back to SHL.

I do find it interesting that he is signed sooner in his draft year while i thought ASP was signed a lot later than this last year. maybe his prospects camp was much much better if you were there 🤷‍♂️

of course, we only saw the tourny and not all the other stuff (right?)
ASP was second signing, Danielson was first

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only meningful thing, is that kid will get the ELC signing bonus instantly.

It's kind of nice boost for the player (he'll get money from Detroit and from his SHL team), and it will lower his caphit after the ELC slide years, because the signing bonus money is count away from the real contract years.

Reactions: Gibby

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
In stead of putting these hyphenated names from elbow to elbow on jerseys, the NHL should just abbreviate the name to initials.....MBN.....ASP.

If you need a scorecard to follow the game, probably should not be watching anyway.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

And for extra:

Raymond is also not Raymånd.

You give a correct pronounciation, but aa is correct spelling for å in same way ae is a correct spelling for ä - see Aalborg/Ålborg

• Wow
Reactions: Snuggs

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Someone posted a really in depth explanation of the pronunciation of his name a month or two before the draft. It sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about at the time.

Not sure what thread it was in and I haven't been able to find it

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hmmm... I'm saying Nygaard like Bill Nye instead of using Knee, like Nylander. Gets too close sounding to another word.:mad:

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Hmmm... I'm saying Nygaard like Bill Nye instead of using Knee, like Nylander. Gets too close sounding to another word.:mad:

Mispronouncing a name because it kinda sounds similar to a derogatory term is one way to live. You should here how they say the word black in italian

Or Spanish if you really want to be offended

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad