Possible Malkin retirement?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I've only been subjected to listening to Mark Madden once, and he came across as maybe the biggest blowhard carnival barker I've ever had the misfortune of listening to.

Can't imagine anything he says is reliable.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Pitt should have moved the big three last offseason/deadline and rebuild. Bring them back to retire afterwards.
what-meme.gif

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Start the full rebuild and get yourself McKenna in 2026 and Dupont in 2027 and then boooooom, Pens are back in business a few years later

Reactions: RickyLafleur

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
I've only been subjected to listening to Mark Madden once, and he came across as maybe the biggest blowhard carnival barker I've ever had the misfortune of listening to.

Can't imagine anything he says is reliable.
He thinks he's a genius Roddy Piper level heel, when he's closer to Vince Russo level imbecile.

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Makes sense. That last year he's got 3.8M signing bonus and only 1M base salary. Retire after collecting that bonus, easypeasy.

Wonder if this would impact on Crosby's decision at all.

With Malkin and Crosby both gone, trade Karlsson and Letang (retain 50%) and go straight into the scorched earth rebuild. That's the path for Penguins after this last hurrah next season?

Letting has three years remaining after this season, even @ 50% that's quite the commitment for someone his age. Karlsson has 2 years, Pens would be left with 1 retention spot (not ideal for a rebuilding team).

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
God I hate Mark Madden, he's got no business being in a main boards thread lol.

He used to be well connected and more respected in the hockey sphere of Pittsburgh, but he's old news. The guy seems so disconnected in almost everything that he says. And as others have said, he's been hating on Malkin pretty much his whole time here in Pittsburgh. There's no chance that he has any inside information here.
Shut er down everyone, Rodgerwilco doesn't deem this discussion worthy. Because the hockey talk is hottest in August as everyone knows.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes sense. That last year he's got 3.8M signing bonus and only 1M base salary. Retire after collecting that bonus, easypeasy.

Wonder if this would impact on Crosby's decision at all.

With Malkin and Crosby both gone, trade Karlsson and Letang (retain 50%) and go straight into the scorched earth rebuild. That's the path for Penguins after this last hurrah next season?
If Pitt allows Malkin to keep the SB, they would have to take a cap charge for it. All money paid to a player have to hit the cap.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Shut er down everyone, Rodgerwilco doesn't deem this discussion worthy. Because the hockey talk is hottest in August as everyone knows.
The discussion is certainly worthy, I just meant that Mark Madden should be banished to oblivion. He should have stuck to WWE. I'll be glad when he retires, but I'm sure he'll still use some medium to sling his crap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I doubt this is true, but considering the big shit Malkin made as a UFA in 2022 to get a 4 year deal instead of a 3 year deal, I'd be pretty damn pissed off if he retired after 3 years anyway.

Hextall initially offered him a 3 year, $6.1 million AAV deal, which resulted in a bunch of sob stories from the Pittsburgh media saying stuff like "Malkin told his teammates 'they don't want me'". For him to just retire after those 3 years, and leave the Penguins with $6.1 million in dead cap, would be pretty frustrating as a Penguins fan.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
The logical move is to move both malkin and crosby to another contender for maximum return, but for some reason they wouldn't do it

• Wow
Reactions: sanscosm

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
malkins more american than russian now, sounds idiotic

He’s in Russia now playing in a bunch of charity games, stated multiple times he will finish his career with MMG

He's pretty much a Muscovite these days. He generally doesn't spend more time in Pittsburgh than he needs to, and just visited Magnitogorsk for the first time in 3 years he said.
He'll ultimately finish his career with MMG, but NHL (Penguins) is without question his priority.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He's pretty much a Muscovite these days. He generally doesn't spend more time in Pittsburgh than he needs to, and just visited Magnitogorsk for the first time in 3 years he said.
He'll ultimately finish his career with MMG, but NHL (Penguins) is without question his priority.
Now Kucherov, on the other hand, hasn’t been to Russia in many many years

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Now Kucherov, on the other hand, hasn’t been to Russia in many many years

Wasn't he in Moscow last year? I know regularly visits Gennady Kurdin, He brought the Cup to his youth school the last time Tampa won it.
But yeah, afaik Sergachev tried to get him involved in that recent charity match but Kuch couldn't be bothered.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The extremely likely scenario is Geno plays this year and next, then goes back to Russia.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
He’s in Russia now playing in a bunch of charity games, stated multiple times he will finish his career with MMG
Yes, he visits Russia from time to time and may spend a year in magnitogorsk after Pittsburgh releases him. Yet, he and his kid have american citizenship and he boght homes in maiami and near Pittsburgh. Doubt he will live in Russia after he retires.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Mark Madden(I know, I know) claimed on his radio show that he has sources saying this will be Malkin's last season in the NHL and he'll go back to Russia to play.

I know people hate on double M but he's fairly connected in Pittsburgh. Are we going to see more take the Kuzy route and end their careers in the KHL?
Mark Madden has zero knowledge of the Penguins. No one on the team likes him and none of us Penguins fans take anything he says seriously or acknowledge it.

That's all you need to know next time you decide to post anything where that idiot is a source.

Yes, he visits Russia from time to time and may spend a year in magnitogorsk after Pittsburgh releases him. Yet, he and his kid have american citizenship and he boght homes in maiami and near Pittsburgh. Doubt he will live in Russia after he retires.
Malkin visits Russia because he has friends there and his parents like to go back. Otherwise Malkin is at home in Pittsburgh or Florida. He's not someone that will retire unless someone tells him medically he has to before his contract is up.

This is stupid even having to explain as Pens fans.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1