Prospect Info: 15th Overall, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Know nothing about him but I like that when I googled him the first result was about him potentially going to the Flyers because he possessed grit. Seeing things like "hard to play against" which has Yzerman written all over it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This sounds like yet another 2 way guy, honestly how many of those do you need? At some point you need guys who can score and we never seem to draft anyone where that is there noted attribute. Not saying he is a bad pick, but too much of the same thing also doesn't work most of the time.

SJC, PHI, MIN, BUF, STL, WSH and CHI also passed on Eiserman in the teens. There might be a reason why...

Who is SJC?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This sounds like yet another 2 way guy, honestly how many of those do you need? At some point you need guys who can score and we never seem to draft anyone where that is there noted attribute. Not saying he is a bad pick, but too much of the same thing also doesn't work most of the time.

Who is SJC?

Sorry, SJS. The Sharks.

Reactions: Oddbob

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

Who is SJC?
There's nothing wrong with "2-way". He has a great shot.

Reactions: Ulysses31

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Explain why he's low upside. Please define why this guy is only ever going to be a 3rd liner?

ironically I haven't really been paying a ton of attention this year and a post by you saying you hope he can be a 50 point guy is actually one of the reasons I view him as low upside

when a prospects biggest booster is saying things like that that's not a good sign

also as a general comment "physicality" doesn't really move the needle much for me especially in a forward and when most of a players scouting reports keep mentioning that as a primary focus that sends up a lot of alarm bells for me about a players upside

Reactions: rangersblues

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I keep seeing things about his great shot, which gives me Zadina PTSD. But hopefully this time it's true.

And this also:

"He has a great shot. He never backs down. He doesn't let anyone touch him. He stands up for himself. He's a tough guy and he's physical. He can play-make, put up some great passes.

"But his shot ... he has a great shot."

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
MBN could be first line. I know many will disagree, but he is a good shooter / power forward. He could create space for more skilled linemates , bring physicality. We don't know about his hockey IQ yet, but I know for sure Rasmussen and Veleno don't have it for first line, so time will show

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There's nothing wrong with "2-way". He has a great shot.

Of course nothing wrong with 2 way, but when you are called 2 way, that means you aren't as good offensively. Who is going to score for us when we keep drafting the same type of player? The only outlier in recent times is ASP.

Reactions: rangersblues

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - May 28th: "If you’re looking for a safe prospect who can play in the middle six and not get himself into trouble, MBN’s your guy. Brandsegg-Nygard looked great at the World Junior Championship for the lowly Norwegians and then finished the year off with a couple of great final games with the men’s national team."
Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Apr. 15th: "He is arguably the best forechecker in the draft, an excellent tactician along the boards, and doesn’t cheat for offense. He commits to playing a sound 200-foot game and does an excellent job in aiding and assisting defenders along the wall while making smart decisions in space with his positioning and stick play.

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 28th: "He thinks the game well and sees plays develop, but I don't think his playmaking is his main asset. Even if he's not very dynamic, Brandsegg-Nygard has a game that should lend itself to success versus men, eventually as a good NHL forward and potentially in a top six.

Not dynamic, middle six, "potentially in a top six".

Again, I hope he turns into something, but this isn't even like the dim praise for Danielson's offense. The guy flat out projects as a checking line winger. Not what this team needs.

He is the kind of guy you draft in the mid first when you are coming out of a tank and have already gotten your multiple top five picks. Not the kind of guy you draft when you are facing a dearth of offensively talented forwards.

Reactions: BSHH

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - May 28th: "If you’re looking for a safe prospect who can play in the middle six and not get himself into trouble, MBN’s your guy. Brandsegg-Nygard looked great at the World Junior Championship for the lowly Norwegians and then finished the year off with a couple of great final games with the men’s national team."
Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Apr. 15th: "He is arguably the best forechecker in the draft, an excellent tactician along the boards, and doesn’t cheat for offense. He commits to playing a sound 200-foot game and does an excellent job in aiding and assisting defenders along the wall while making smart decisions in space with his positioning and stick play.

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - May 28th: "He thinks the game well and sees plays develop, but I don't think his playmaking is his main asset. Even if he's not very dynamic, Brandsegg-Nygard has a game that should lend itself to success versus men, eventually as a good NHL forward and potentially in a top six.

Again, I hope he turns into something, but this isn't even like the dim praise for Danielson's offense. The guy flat out projects as a checking line winger. Not what this team needs.

That's really misleading re: Ferrari. Here is his latest rankings..which has him 6th - or are you claiming Ferrari thinks his #6 prospect is a "checking line winger"

"Every time I have seen Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, I have appreciated what he brings to the game more. He has so many of the pro habits that you want from a player, whether it's the intricacies of winning puck battles along the boards, where he needs to be defensively or how to help cover for his teammates. He just plays with a maturity beyond his years.

The big knock on Brandsegg-Nygard all season has been his offensive creativity and ceiling. While that was certainly evident early in the year, the way he progressed in the Allsvenskan this season was enviable. He was always on a bit of an island with Mora when it came to getting to the slot to generate scoring chances, but as the season advanced, his confidence with the puck did as well.

Brandsegg-Nygard began using his one-timer more often in space. When he was around the net, he was a hound on rebounds, beating opponents to loose pucks regularly. He isn’t a dynamic playmaker, but his ability to peel off the boards with the puck and hit a trailing teammate or find someone in pockets of space is excellent. He works the cycle as well or better than anyone in the NHL draft class, and his motor never stops. Brandsegg-Nygard is the kind of player who is a key piece on a long playoff run."

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
ironically I haven't really been paying a ton of attention this year and a post by you saying you hope he can be a 50 point guy is actually one of the reasons I view him as low upside

when a prospects biggest booster is saying things like that that's not a good sign

Dude, the #15 pick in a weak draft year being a 50 point winger is a win. Look at the previous 5 drafts. How many guys picked in the teens to 32 are better than that?

Here's your hint;they're named Cole Caulfield and Wyatt Johnston.

This draft isn't as strong as the 2023 draft. And it's not going to be as strong as the 2003 or 2015 draft.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

He is the kind of guy you draft in the mid first when you are coming out of a tank and have already gotten your multiple top five picks. Not the kind of guy you draft when you are facing a dearth of offensively talented forwards.

Remember when Larkin was "helm with hands, will be a 3rd liner"?
Or when Seider was "great complementary guy in your top 4 but limited offense"?

MBN is going to be playing in Skelleftea, the SHL champs, with ASP. Kronwall is over there. So is Lidstrom. He'll be OK.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Dude, the #15 pick in a weak draft year being a 50 point winger is a win. Look at the previous 5 drafts. How many guys picked in the teens to 32 are better than that?

Here's your hint;they're named Cole Caulfield and Wyatt Johnston.

This draft isn't as strong as the 2023 draft. And it's not going to be as strong as the 2003 or 2015 draft.

I understand that

it's primarily a difference in philosophy, I don't want another guy that has a good chance at being a 50 point guy, especially when the Wings already have a bunch of players like that

I want a guy that could be something more like a 80 point guy

I understand that where the Wings are picking this year that guy is much more likely to just bust instead of actually becoming a high end player in the NHL, the thing is i'd much rather have a guy that(totally made up numbers here just as an example, don't read too far into the specifics) has lets say a 10% chance at being a 1st line guy, a 10% chance at being a 2nd line guy, and like a 50% chance of busting entirely than I would a guy that has lets say a 30% chance at being a 2nd line guy a 30% chance at being a 3rd line guy, a 30% chance at being a 4th line guy, and only a 10% chance at busting entirely but essentially no chance of being a 1st liner

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Who is SJC?
One of the “two ways” is actually offense

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I didn't watch him a lot, but any time I did, I was pretty impressed with his offensive drive. Hard nosed, play driver with a great shot. Seemed like he was all over the puck, both offensively and defensively. I'm surprised people are upset with this pick.
It's this board's MO... they hate everything, it just doesn't matter what it is.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I keep seeing things about his great shot, which gives me Zadina PTSD. But hopefully this time it's true.

And this also:

MBN flosses his tooth gap with Zadina.

Great shot, straight line game to the net. Great neutral zone D. Really hard on the forecheck. Physical. I've compared him to a more skilled Lawson Crouse and Ivan Barbashev. Cory Pronman mentioned him as similar to Ryan Leonard as a prospect with a little less skill.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

And this also:
Maybe I’ve been too influenced by Ogee, but I think Eiserman’s “great shot” reminds me of Zadina’s “great shot”. This guy actually has a rocket with a quick release

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad