GDT: #15 | FLYERS (A) vs. Bruins (H) at Lake Tahoe, NV | Sunday, Feb. 20 | 7:30 pm ET | NBCSN, SN1, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumble40

Jun 24, 2019
If the Flyers would’ve won the shootout last night, the Tahoe game would be for first place.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Loved watching that game 6 from 2010. That team was fun to watch. Good defense, great forechecking and hitting. It sucks we didn't have a better option than Leighton in goal.

Not to mention that great 3rd line of JVR, G, and....... Aaron Asham, lol.

Reactions: marcsson68

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think people don't get what AV is doing at times:

"Mark has been OK but my expectations are higher of his play," Vigneault said last month. "I need to see a little bit more urgency from him in his game."

He said similar things about NAK last year, when NAK returned, he took them to heart and was a different player. For some younger players, just getting to the NHL seems to be enough, and they lose the edge that got them there, and sometimes need a wake up call: "getting here is only the first step, staying here is the goal."

Friedman can skate, but he lacks the offensive skill set to make the NHL off his offense, he needs to play defense with some grit, and not be passive.

Reactions: dats81

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

This is kind of bullshit, especially for the goalies. Players should raise a shit about this

100% bullshit. Wonder if Flyers and Bruins Front Office complained, they should. Game at this scenerio, natoinal stage, you need to outfit each team with the best tools to play, that would be a good practice session

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Honest question, how many of you still actually look forward to Flyers game days right now?

I know watching them has turned into a chore personally, I want to know how many of you feel the same way.

It can be a chore to watch any NHL game. Perhaps it is generational and those of us who are seasoned by comparison and have the benefit of seeing sports from the distant past, there isn't one league or team-sport that is as flattering to the viewer as was once. People can rave about how athletes may be more conditioned or talented as those from yore, but the games themselves are not uplifting and on a personal level I don't watch any other league and haven't for decades unless it is a rare exception. Everything from ads, to stats, to bad broadcasters and sideline reporters who made the games about themselves, to the ESPNification and exasperation of over-usage of replays has damaged games especially from how sports are presented. Losing and/or lack of a competitive offering adds to the sense of grief and frustration. That is just one perspective but as it pertains to the Flyers, the heart and soul has been ripped. For those of us who recall, the Bullies were our heroes, the Keenan teams were resplendent, then after a short lull, came the Lindros Era and the city was electric with expectations. And even though the ultimate goal may not have been recognized, it was fun and exciting almost nightly. There were up and downs and near misses following that time but unfortunately, the competitive element seems to be lacking and it isn't because of one person or ideology. The Flyers also became a corporate and stale entity, like almost any other team. It used to be satisfaction and self-gratifying to be the "us" in the us-against-them world. That no longer exists. It was especially pleasing for those of "us" who have the genetic makeup to be the leader rather than the follower, but you aren't alone in this aspect. That is my summation of a process which has accumulated over time.

Last edited:

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It can be a chore to watch any NHL game. Perhaps it is generational and those of us who are seasoned by comparison and have the benefit of seeing sports from the distant past, there isn't one league or team-sport that is as flattering to the viewer as was once. People can rave about how athletes may be more conditioned or talented as those from yore, but the games themselves are not uplifting and on a personal level I don't watch any other league and haven't for decades unless it is a rare exception. Everything from ads, to stats, to bad broadcasters and sideline reporters who made the games about themselves, to the ESPNification and exasperation of over-usage of replays has damaged games especially from how sports are presented. Losing and/or lack of a competitive offering adds to the sense of grief and frustration. That is just one perspective but as it pertains to the Flyers, the heart and soul has been ripped. For those of us who recall, the Bullies were our heroes, the Keenan teams were resplendent, then after a short lull, came the Lindros Era and the city was electric with expectations. And even though the ultimate goal may not have been recognized, it was fun and exciting almost nightly. There were up and downs and near misses following that time but unfortunately, the competitive element seems to be lacking and it isn't because of one person or ideology. The Flyers also became a corporate and stale entity, like almost any other team. It used to be satisfaction and self-gratifying to be the "us" in the us-against-them world. That no longer exists. It was especially pleasing for those of "us" who have the genetic makeup to be the leader rather than the follower, but you aren't alone in this aspect. That is my summation of a process which has accumulated over time.

Thanks. I doubt I go back as far, but I feel much the same. I've largely stopped watching football except as background noise, same with baseball. Now we have ads coming in in side-by-sides during non ad breaks, "Great Checks of the Game" awarded after one period... It's hard to engage in the game anymore.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Honest question, how many of you still actually look forward to Flyers game days right now?

I know watching them has turned into a chore personally, I want to know how many of you feel the same way.
Games are not enjoyable at all and they haven't been since 2017-2018.

The process is trash and the end results are nearly worthless because I'm not interested in raising a "second in the division after 14 games thanks to luck" banner. Even being in a playoff spot is pretty meaningless because we know playing this kind of hockey in the playoffs won't work and there's no reason to believe AV and Therrien will ever get their heads out of their asses.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

Wow. You put into words my thoughts. The Covid stoppage followed by the protest stoppage showed me that sports weren’t that important to me any longer. Those 2 events became my tipping point. The flyers are watched and followed more than the other sports but on a level bordering apathy. I’m not sure a cup would/could change me at this point.

Just not that important.

Watching sports and movies took us away from the daily political bs. Hollywood now for too long have been a huge part of that mess. Now sports have been bullied into being a member of the bandwagon.

I remember tiger woods was chastised for not answering a political question. His response, “I’m a golfer, not a politician.”

Sad. Really is.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Preach on, preacher. Testify!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wow. You put into words my thoughts. The Covid stoppage followed by the protest stoppage showed me that sports weren’t that important to me any longer. Those 2 events became my tipping point. The flyers are watched and followed more than the other sports but on a level bordering apathy. I’m not sure a cup would/could change me at this point.

Just not that important.

Watching sports and movies took us away from the daily political bs. Hollywood now for too long have been a huge part of that mess. Now sports have been bullied into being a member of the bandwagon.

I remember tiger woods was chastised for not answering a political question. His response, “I’m a golfer, not a politician.”

Sad. Really is.

Sport has - to be honest, as someone who works in the sector - always been political.

From the days of Spartacus to Pierre de Coubertin.

I just think that now, with 24 hour media coverage, that has come into the general populations consciousness instead of being hidden behind closed doors.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
I agree with all those aforementioned things about what sports used to be and what it is now.

Some people say this is the normal way when aging. Everything in the past appears brighter and better than it actually was. But I disagree with that. When I watch videos of 80‘s hockey or soccer (being German this is a normal affection), I do realize the things that have improved. But the most important thing has been lost during the process and that is the soul, the spirit within.

Today I read an interview with a german soccer player. He said: „Nowadays after the game everybody is just sitting there looking at his cellphone. I wished it was like in the past where players used to sit around a beer crate and talk it over.“

Take the arenas as another example. Modern arenas may be safer, there may be a better view from each seat etc., but it‘s hard to distinguish one place from the other. Style, soul and identity are gone.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I do. But that is just about stress relief and a distraction more than really getting amped up for a game or matchup. For me it’s a combo of

Hakstol

Covid shutdowns and realizing how much sports is not as necessary - even though I really missed it for the above reasons.

I went away for a little while for work and could not wait to come back to get season tickets and be in my city again. Now, I don’t really care and i am actually debating moving away haha.

Winning solves all of these issues. We were gifted Patrick and hit a few times as well. Those young players panning out or maybe future moves could very well have us winning and contending again. It’s an important time right now.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Chore to watch, nope. In a Covid world, I am just glad there are Flyers games to watch and break up the week.

Keep winning, even if it is ugly. I see the deficiencies, but am not sweating them since they are in contention for 1st. I swear, if and when this team finally wins a Cup, there will be people in a post game thread complaining that they almost lost because they were weak on the forecheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad